• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City teaser trailer

raphier

Banned
ezekial45 said:
I don't know, it felt like a call back to the style used for the classic RE intros. I actually liked it.
So they pretty much try live up with nostalgia, because they can't come up with anything worthwhile. Atleast that's what the trailer gives me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
thoughtspeak said:
dantemiddlefinger.jpg

ninja_theory_logo.jpg

posted without comment.

is...that really official dante art?

Yuterald

*grabs barf bucket*

Not interested. It's exactly how I pictured it to be. The players run at that online shooter speed. Zombies move too fast, looks too much like a L4D mod. This is not Resident Evil. It's Resident Evil for the bro dudes. Seriously, this can fuck off. I'll take my Mercs 3DS, please.

I hope this is the last of Capcom's western partner shit. I know it won't be, but I just don't like these originally in house Capcom franchises being handed off to westerners.

Teknoman

Yuterald said:
*grabs barf bucket*

Not interested. It's exactly how I pictured it to be. The players run at that online shooter speed. Zombies move too fast, looks too much like a L4D mod. This is not Resident Evil. It's Resident Evil for the bro dudes. Seriously, this can fuck off. I'll take my Mercs 3DS, please.

I hope this is the last of Capcom's western partner shit. I know it won't be, but I just don't like these originally in house Capcom franchises being handed off to westerners.

I think Capcom will keep a really close eye on this one (its still early) since RE is one of their bigger franchises.

haha. thanks for the mention. :)

anyways, yeah. i gotta say. the trailer DIDNT leave me wanting more. all the trailer got going was showing leon in the end. :|

Teknoman

Also whats with RE beta trailers looking like somewhat better concepts than the finals?

RE5 first trailer

I like RE4 as much as the next person, but the beta concept also seemed like it might have been a more interesting game.

Either that, or they should do the same as they did with Onimusha and Devil May Cry: turn the RE4 beta into it's own game, separate from the series.

Raide

Well, the style looks pretty solid. Lots of shambling zombies and dark corners. Looks pretty moody and atmospheric so far. Would be nice to see some gameplay soon, since the teaser does not really show much at all.

Teknoman said:
Also whats with RE beta trailers looking like somewhat better concepts than the finals?

RE5 first trailer

I like RE4 as much as the next person, but the beta concept also seemed like it might have been a more interesting game.

Either that, or they should do the same as they did with Onimusha and Devil May Cry: turn the RE4 beta into it's own game, separate from the series.
:(
Now that's RE. Too bad only 1/5th of the game was like the trailer. Take out Sheva, buff Chris and levels after shanty town (replace them with more...shanty towns. And mansions.).

Teknoman said:
Damn it <_> Honestly put that as far out of my mind as I could after seeing Dante kick ass in MvC 3. I still think Rad Spencer can make a decent come back too...but they just need to focus on what made Rearmed great.

But he already did, and it was fucking amazing!

medium_bcps3.jpg

You must have missed it ^_^

Teknoman

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
But he already did, and it was fucking amazing!

medium_bcps3.jpg

You must have missed it ^_^

I just think it could've been better. Capcom seriously needs to make sure its core franchises use MT framework.

RustyNails said:
:(
Now that's RE. Too bad only 1/5th of the game was like the trailer. Take out Sheva, buff Chris and levels after shanty town (replace them with more...shanty towns. And mansions.).

Playing as Sheva maybe, but I still think she's a good addition to the "good guys". No complaints about the characters in the game, aside from Chris getting ultra buff (muscle definition, sure, since he's been training alot...but not that much). I do agree about the environments though. They really played up the differences between light and dark areas leading up to the game's release, and then it seemed like they only used it in a few instances. The underground mine and the temple areas were cool though.

Co-op mode should have been seperate from the main game (specific missions built just for co-op, like the Splinter Cell co-op modes). Could have made people play as different BSAA agents prior to Chris and Sheva's arrival.

soultron

Banned
From the very brief snippets of gameplay we saw, I can say I'm still interested. Looks like we'll be seeing RE3 cameos. (Looked like Nemesis was in that one shot!)

Salsa

hahahAHHAha oh god what a terrible trailer

*snip of gameplay*

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

*another snip*

*again*

leon flash with lame voice clip probably ripped from RE4

Im still interested in the concept though

Teknoman

At least the zombies arent dashing all over. They seem to move as fast as some of the zombies in the Resident Evil 1.5 video when they get in aggressive mode.

Teknoman said:
I just think it could've been better. Capcom seriously needs to make sure its core franchises use MT framework.

This is so fucking annoying, particularly if - as one poster has mentioned - the problem is a translation of the instructions (or whatever they're called). It boggles the mind that Capcom barely uses it when it's apparently so malleable.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Ugh. That doesn't bode well. If this turns out to be pretty much without a flowing story, just stand-alone arenas and missions, I'll definitely pass. Might be interesting if there's at least something of a story progressing, character development and (weapon) customization. Could be a nice cocktail with the setting and squad-based multiplayer. Trailer stinks though.

MarshMellow96 said:
This is so fucking annoying, particularly if - as one poster has mentioned - the problem is a translation of the instructions (or whatever they're called). It boggles the mind that Capcom barely uses it when it's apparently so malleable.
Framework looks this amazing because capcom also has stellar art-direction.
Look at Tera, that game uses Unreal 3 and shits over most titles using that engine because the art is just so good and consistent.
It's all in the art direction.
So a studio with untalented concept artists as Slant 6 is never going to achieve any results similiar to capcom with that engine.
A good engine can't fix subpar or amateurish art direction. They'd need to hire a bunch of new artists.

Teknoman

Rei_Toei said:
Ugh. That doesn't bode well. If this turns out to be pretty much without a flowing story, just stand-alone arenas and missions, I'll definitely pass. Might be interesting if there's at least something of a story progressing, character development and (weapon) customization. Could be a nice cocktail with the setting and squad-based multiplayer. Trailer stinks though.

Im sure it'll be story driven since its not score based like Mercenaries.

soultron

Banned
ViralMarketingDrone said:
Framework looks this amazing because capcom also has stellar art-direction.
Look at Tera, that game uses Unreal 3 and shits over most titles using that engine because the art is just so good and consistent.
It's all in the art direction.
So a studio with untalented concept artists as Slant 6 is never going to achieve any results similiar to capcom with that engine.
A good engine can't fix subpar or amateurish art direction. They'd need to hire a bunch of new artists.
First off, Slant 6's previous games were in the military genre and there's not much imagination required in that arena. That being said, they still made thematically decent looking games, IMO.

Secondly, you've not seen screenshots or model renders yet. Raccoon City is a pretty drab setting outdoors anyhow. You really can't be making these kind of assumptions from a teaser trailer where there's maybe 20 seconds of actual gameplay in brief 2-second snippets.

Lastly, art direction doesn't mean shit when your game isn't fun to play. Lost Planet looked great (and hey, I enjoyed it for what it was) but it was a shitty game. Sorry for knocking you off your MT Framework highhorse.

soultron said:
First off, Slant 6's previous games were in the military genre and there's not much imagination required in that arena. That being said, they still made thematically decent looking games, IMO.
They made medicore games with subpar art direction.

soultron said:
Secondly, you've not seen screenshots or model renders yet. Raccoon City is a pretty drab setting outdoors anyhow. You really can't be making these kind of assumptions from a teaser trailer where there's maybe 20 seconds of actual gameplay in brief 2-second snippets.
Infact I have. And infact I know enough this subject to be able to judge the art-direction with the material I have seen so far.

soultron said:
Lastly, art direction doesn't mean shit when your game isn't fun to play. Lost Planet looked great (and hey, I enjoyed it for what it was) but it was a shitty game. Sorry for knocking you off your MT Framework highhorse.
I'm on no MT Framework highhorse. You seem to have trouble reading und understanding my post.
I said the engine makes no difference if the art-direction is shit, I wasn't even talking about gameplay there.
A game needs good art direction just as much as good gameplay to be truely appealing.

I have no idea how Lost Planet fits into this whole thing or why you are bringing it up. Because I found that game to be kinda boring as well. I liked part 2 though, but I can see how people might have disliked it.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
People should remember that a lot of the artwork we have seen in this game has been co-produced and developed with Capcom Japan, what Kawata said in the interview on this joint project. Sadly a teaser trailer never does justice and shows very little, and then everything will be based solely on that. Considering this is just after a year, it's shaping up and looking pretty good, but you can see the animations seem to be stiff and probably still need tweaking. I can't wait to see more on this and looing forward to Captivate greatly.

I wasn't excited when it was rumored.

I wasn't excited when it was unveiled.

I'm not excited after watching this teaser.

It better kick ass when gameply video shows or something, if Capcom wants me to buy this....*looks at games for this fall*.....well, even so Capcom will have to wait until it bombs and price drops.

Mit-

Ugh. Animation was disgusting. The zombies looked like they were glitching all over the place. Fast, jerky, awkward movements, sliding all over the geometry as they collided with each other, wtf this looks awful.

"It's a teaser hurrrr" this game is supposed to be out this year hurrr

Wasn't impressed by any of the player animations either. Bland, generic, not-fluid shooter movement like it's 2007.

And sure the zombies weren't running, but they don't really look like classic RE zombies to me. The speed at which they approach you might be comparable to what was shown in the Wii Chronicles games (except they all seem to be approaching at maximum speed all the time), and seriously, wtf is with how fast the animations are? I especially like when it shows 3 zombies from behind, shuffling back and forth like they're wall flowers at a goddamn rave, and then one of the zombies randomly flings it's arms up like fuckin Thriller. If they can't run why the hell are all of their other movements lightning quick?

I also like when one of the zombies seemingly notices the player camera (or whatever camera), and just kind of slides his direction toward you. No change in animation. Same walking forward animation. Only the model just pivots toward you. I bet if you're behind them they just slide all the way around like a creepy paranormal horror flick and never change animations.

Ugh, looking pathetic, wish this was early footage for a game coming out next year. I've officially moved from cautiously optimistic to full-blown pessimistic, and not buying the game until I find it used or something, much cheaper than the price of it new.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the game's just under 50% done so far.

Masachika Kawata is a name you're going to hear associated with Resident Evil quite a lot in the months to come. In addition to the twin 3DS projects Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations, he's also simultaneously handling production duties for the newest console game in the series: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, first revealed last week.

"The control system for this game has been changed to something you see a lot in third-person shooters," Kawata told Japan's Famitsu magazine in the lastest issue. I think fans of that genre will be able to enjoy this game a great deal. You play as a member of Umbrella as you fight off not only the US special forces, but Leon S. Kennedy and the T-Virus-infected zombies as well. It's a chaotic three-sided confrontation that we're depicting with this TPS gameplay, and I think that's the main draw for this title. The game is set somewhere around RE2 or RE3, but it's a completely new story that we're writing -- a parallel world, if you will. There'll be a lot of aspects that'll make series veterans smile, though."

The new RE is particularly noteworthy because Capcom is farming out its development to Vancouver-based Slant Six Games, whose release list up to now consisted entirely of SOCOM titles for Sony. As Kawata put it to Famitsu, this certainly wasn't by accident. "The idea for this game got its start when we thought about taking the world of Resident Evil 2 and using it to try something we've never done before with the series," he said. "It's a third-person shooter in order to take advantage of Slant Six's previous achievements with SOCOM. We've covered a lot of Raccoon City's story up to now, but I think putting the player on the side of the villains will give them a brand new experience. The main keyword during development is 'Kill Leon.'"

In addition to fighting off zombies and special-ops soldiers, you'll also have to deal with some of the Bio-Organic Weapons (B.O.W.s) that have shown up in previous REs, including adversaries like Nemesis and Tyrant. "We'll have several B.O.W.s from previous games, including the Tyrant, appear in this title -- in what way, exactly, we haven't decided upon yet," Kawata noted. "We're also discussing plans for new B.O.W.s as well -- this game is all about new ideas and concepts that aren't beholden to previous titles, so that's the sort of thing I want people to look forward to."

Capcom PR has pegged development of Operation Raccoon City at 45% complete
. The game has no official launch date or price yet, but a winter release has been touted for North America. "Teaming up with a group like Slant Six that has such a good reputation in the TPS field will let us make a really solid package," Kawata concluded. "The design and other aspects of the game are really coming together well in a unique fashion. It's still a little rough right now, but I wanted people to see it as quickly as we could. I think we'll have a much more complete package to show off around E3, so stay on the lookout for it."

Link

J-Rock

Banned
This game
might be
fun but that
trailer sucks.

soultron said:
Sorry for knocking you off your MT Framework highhorse.

He wasn't on one, to be fair :p

I was just emphasising my ire towards Capcom for have a proprietary engine that they never seem to use (or more to the point, don't let anyone else use/translate/whatever).

ezekial45 said:
How the hell are they getting this out in Winter then?

Think about Slant 6's last game that 'came out'..

elohel

J-Rock said:
This game
might be
fun but that
trailer sucks.

WORD

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
ezekial45 said:
How the hell are they getting this out in Winter then?

Most likely it's going to be winter 2012, avoiding the big title launch already for this year. It would probably be February or March when it's released since it be a great slot for the title to be released. Plenty of time for the game to shape up good.

todahawk

Teknoman said:

RE5 first trailer

I liked RE5 for what it was but damn that trailer has me sitting at my desk *SOBBING* over what could have been.

Teknoman said:

?

The engine it used was fine. It was one of the better looking games of 2009 and much more appealing than, say, Lost Planet.

Slappers Only

Is it
Already
April
Somewhere?
What the hell is going on here?

Top Bottom