• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City teaser trailer

OK, I am calling this:

RE:ORC is an ISOMETRIC shooter in style of Dead Nation (double stick controls and all), that explains the weird animations.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Xater said:
It will absolutely not be a horror game. For that you will have to get Revelations.

What makes a horror game exactly?

Resident Evil can move away from the gameplay of the older games and still be a horror game. It's still clearly drawing from the Romero zombie movies, but it's just approaching it from a different angle.

This is definitely a horror game - and looking like a good one too, from the little bit that's in the trailer!

Zenith

Banned
HunkyDory said:

Resident Evil can move away from the gameplay of the older games and still be a horror game. It's still clearly drawing from the Romero zombie movies, but it's just approaching it from a different angle.

This is definitely a horror game - and looking like a good one too, from the little bit that's in the trailer!

If the latest REs are horror games, then Gears of War and Lost Planet are also horror games

ShdwDrake

Banned
HunkyDory said:

The horror atmostphere. RE5 was as much as a horror game as Resistance or Gears of War.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
_Alkaline_ said:
Let's not include 4 in that bunch. That game still had a considerably oppressive atmosphere.

But most of RE4's monsters don't look like or aren't even zombies, let alone scary... (I barely played it though)

OMG i want this game NOW, even though the trailer does look kind of outdated, i think that the video wanted it to be like that so that we could be throw back to the original series.

PetriP-TNT said:
OK, I am calling this:

RE:ORC is an ISOMETRIC shooter in style of Dead Nation (double stick controls and all), that explains the weird animations.

Maybe because it's on PC they are keeping the animation like that to better accommodate the speed of a keyboard and mouse.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Zenith said:
If the latest REs are horror games, then Gears of War and Lost Planet are also horror games

They might be, but I haven't played either so I couldn't say. :/

I think that something like Resistance could be classed as a horror game though.

PetriP-TNT said:
OK, I am calling this:

You got to remember that is SLANT SIX who is making the game so expect some animation ala SOCOM CONFRONTATION

sleepykyo

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Am I the only one who thinks the game looks pretty good (terrible trailer editing aside)?

The only thing which really stuck out was some dodgy character modelling and a weird strafe animation that looked like it was ripped from SOCOM's cold dead hands.

I mean we could have gotten another RE5... at least they got the setting right this time.

Once rockmanzx took out the screenshots so I could get a coherent look at the game, my hype rose slightly again. Still kind of iffy on seeing those Confrontation animations though.

Teknoman

Well at least Leon looks like Leon. The environments seem nice, and its still being worked on...so hopefully they can fix that stuff with some extra graphic improvements by release. Also it's a side story of sorts, so saying RE is dead...is a bit much.

The whole kill Leon thing will probably be an objective that changes over time, once you gain access to it. Overall objective will probably change to just getting out of the city alive, since "something will go wrong".

ULTROS! said:
But most of RE4's monsters don't look like or aren't even zombies, let alone scary... (I barely played it though)

Regenerators.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Zenith said:

Resistance is as good a horror experience as the old alien invasion films that came out around the time of Body Snatchers.

These games all use classic tropes of the horror genre, and do a pretty good job of it too.

Teknoman

They should've used something like "The first mutation of G" for the trailer music. Actually fits the way they cut it.

EDIT: Or even Escape from the lab.

HunkyDory said:
Resistance is as good a horror experience as the old alien invasion films that came out around the time of Body Snatchers.

These games all use classic tropes of the horror genre, and do a pretty good job of it too.
Going by that definition even Duke Nukem is a horror franchise. Stargate is now a horror movie, and so are the Star Trek movies as they deal with aliens trying to snatch your bodies away.

Teknoman

ViralMarketingDrone said:
Going by that definition even Duke Nukem is a horror franchise. Stargate is now a horror movie, and so are the Star Trek movies as they deal with aliens trying to snatch your bodies away.

I wouldnt call Resistance 1 a horror game, but the hospital/medic area was pretty creepy. Resistance 2 had one nice level with a bunch of abandoned houses too.

Teknoman said:
I wouldnt call Resistance 1 a horror game, but the hospital/medic area was pretty creepy. Resistance 2 had one nice level with a bunch of abandoned houses too.
Well yeah, doesn't change the fact that the gameplay actually makes the whole thing less scary when you're giving out headshots left and right and the whole game is a digital shooting gallery.
The horror aspect in games comes from the way the subject is handled in a gameplay sense, not through what kind of setpieces you're running through guns blazing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish we'd get an old styled RE game that focuses on Barry Burton.

Xater

badcrumble said:
I'm looking forward to Revelations but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm really looking for from the RE series either. I mean, it'll involve Wesker, so it'll have to suck at least a little bit.

A Wesker hater ewwww...

lupinko

Bulzeeb said:
you got it wrong, I am sure it is team Leon Fuck Claire,

Anyways looks interesting, will wait for some gameplay info though

There ya go,
see what I did there? hurr hurr rule 34

malfcn

I hope this game kicks ass, love the series. Are the people complaining about Slant 6 legit? Never played SOCOM, but some say S6 released an abomination.

Xater

malfcn said:
I hope this game kicks ass, love the series. Are the people complaining about Slant 6 legit? Never played SOCOM, but some say S6 released an abomination.

The PS3 game they worked on (SOCOM: Confrontation) was released half-finished and even after patching the game is pretty bad.

Verendus

Banned
I saw the thread title.

"Woah, new Resident Evil! New Resident Evil! In Racoon City!"

I watched the trailer.

"This seems weird. Didn't Racoon City get destroyed? Wait a minute...where is Chris Goddamn Redfield? What? This doesn't look like Resident Evil. No. No. Hell no. It's that pansy Leon."

I read the thread.

"Well, damn. A multi-player shooter. This explains a lot. Oh wait, we can kill Leon? Let's do this."

On a serious note, I wonder if this will be like the Resident Evil Outbreak games that came out for the PS2. I always wanted to try those out.

_Alkaline_ said:
Let's not include 4 in that bunch. That game still had a considerably oppressive atmosphere.

With RE3+, the games all lost the horror aspect for action games with horror related creatures. Outside of the dark scary parts with the chattering enemies in 4, it wasn't very horror like.

Teknoman

ViralMarketingDrone said:
Well yeah, doesn't change the fact that the gameplay actually makes the whole thing less scary when you're giving out headshots left and right and the whole game is a digital shooting gallery.
The horror aspect in games comes from the way the subject is handled in a gameplay sense, not through what kind of setpieces you're running through guns blazing.

I know, just saying I can sorta see where they might have got that impression. I'm not expecting true survival horror from a side story like this, since both Outbreak games, while keep a certain level of tension, werent really that scary.

Personally, I think RE4 was the perfect mix of old school RE atmosphere + new style action. The first part of Lost in nightmare was a decent example of what new RE games to go for when it comes to atmosphere. RE5 would've been nice if they focused on using the lighting in the right way.

I am still trying to keep my hopes up, but no, I don't think this will be anything like Outbreak (except having a Resident Evil title and multiplayer) at all. Think more like a modern squad based TPS with cover system, but I guess/wish I can be wrong.

tass0 said:
So bad...

SOCOM-like 3rd person shooter Resident Evil game?

Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea, why not just create a new damn I.P.

RE is dead.

cheap cash in with underachieving dev

starting to become capcoms M.O

personally, im not that big of a R.E fan to care either way, but im certainly not impressed at the PR surrounding it.

So much of me wants to run down the street yelling, "YES, YES YES!" about this game. But then I think about the developer behind it. Sigh. I want nothing more than for this game to be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath until I see more. Way more.

Teknoman

thoughtspeak said:
cheap cash in with underachieving dev

starting to become capcoms M.O

personally, im not that big of a R.E fan to care either way, but im certainly not impressed at the PR surrounding it.

I dunno about that. Theres been what? Dark Void and Bionic Commando?

Chinner

Banned
you know, there was some member (maybe a junior) who said that the developers were still stuck in the nineties. looks like they're right!

Teknoman said:
I dunno about that. Theres been what? Dark Void and Bionic Commando?

dantemiddlefinger.jpg

ninja_theory_logo.jpg

posted without comment.

Teknoman

thoughtspeak said:
Damn it.jpg

posted without comment.

Damn it <_> Honestly put that as far out of my mind as I could after seeing Dante kick ass in MvC 3. I still think Rad Spencer can make a decent come back too...but they just need to focus on what made Rearmed great.

ULTROS! said:
Zombies=/=Horror. RE4 had just as many creepy and scary enemies and moments as RE1-3 did. Chainsaw ganado, Novistadors(creepy invisible insects that attacked in dark sewers), El gigante, Garrador(guy with eyes wired shut and wolverine like claws), Regenerators, and Verdugo(creature that attacked when the power was out and could only be killed by knocking over nitrogen tanks) are just as creepy/scary as crimson heads, lickers, tyrants, Mr. X and Nemesis. It had a different atmosphere and a stronger emphasis on action compared to the older titles but it had just as many scary and tense moments as they did.

Teknoman said:
Damn it <_> Honestly put that as far out of my mind as I could after seeing Dante kick ass in MvC 3. I still think Rad Spencer can make a decent come back too...but they just need to focus on what made Rearmed great.
As soon as I'm able to post threads on my own I'm so going to make some about this kind of stuff.
What quite a lot of those western developers who do outsourced sequels to japanese games don't get is that the games has to 'feel' right.
From art and sound design to animations to button delay, every little detail is important. Most western developers still think that it's fine to put a coat of paint on whatever shit they were making before and then call it a successful sequel to a japanese franchise - without having spend one second thinking about the inner mechanics of the games they are aping. It's like putting whipped cream and a strawberry on a sausage and calling it a cake. This game looks exactly like this.

Top Bottom