• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City teaser trailer

consoul

DennisK4, in case you missed it in the trailer, the title of this game includes the words "Resident Evil", so people expect more than "looks OK for what it is".

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The trailer itself was horrible, but I'm happy that they decided to show gameplay footage instead of a CG trailer. Raccoon City looks so awesome, but there's something about the combat that looks a little weird to me. I'll wait for another trailer to pass full judgement.

Dennis

Banned
consoul said:
DennisK4, in case you missed it in the trailer, the title of this game includes the words "Resident Evil", so people expect more than "looks OK for what it is".
Did everybody miss Leon?

He was right there! It doesn't get more Resident Evil than Leon.

Fezan

Rewrite said:
The trailer itself was horrible, but I'm happy that they decided to show gameplay footage instead of a CG trailer. Raccoon City looks so awesome, but there's something about the combat that looks a little weird to me. I'll wait for another trailer to pass full judgement.
I think the stiff animation made combat look really weird

zlatko

Banned
WTF engine is this on? Did they let SlantSix make their own upgraded version of the Confrontation engine? God it looked like shit. :/

consoul said:

What do people actually expect though from a spin-off which is barely canon, from different developers, coming off the back of what is widely regarded as the worst game in the series, and which has totally different gameplay from previous games?

Sure, it would be different if it was Resident Evil 6, but it's not.

Slappers Only

As long as the mechanics are serviceable and the setting remains as shown, the crappier/trashier the game becomes, the more I'll like it.

Rolf NB

Reminds me of Dead Nation, except for the free camera of course. I see gunfire going back and forth, so it's no longer just you shooting zombies, but ... zombies shooting back? That'd be new. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Rolf NB said:
Reminds me of Dead Nation, except for the free camera of course. I see gunfire going back and forth, so it's no longer just you shooting zombies, but ... zombies shooting back? That'd be new. Not sure if that's a good thing.
I think you'll be fighting humans and zombies. From the way it sounds, you'll be fighting humans more than zombies.

soultron

Banned
canadian crowe said:
I think you'll be fighting humans and zombies. From the way it sounds, you'll be fighting humans more than zombies.
It's PvP with AI zombies, RE cast members, and creatures thrown into the mix.

One side is the Umbrella clean up crew. The other side are survivors trying to escape Racoon City, IIRC. The two sides clash because Umbrella wants to completely contain the incident, correct? It's pre-nuke, right?

While the two human sides fight, AI zombies and creatures get tossed into the mix. RE cast members (such as Leon) are also included and both sides will have different objectives in keeping the character alive or killing that character.

Mit-

I feel like I didn't watch the same trailer as some of you. Or that some of you are watching the trailer in 240p with beer goggles on.

The animations look atrocious. Nothing about the graphics stand out. This is 2011. This is a game with Resident Evil in the title.

"It's only 50% done". And it's being developed by Slant 6 and it's supposed to be out by winter? This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I can't quite understand how anyone could still be optimistic about this. Resident Evil fans shouldn't be pleased, nor should zombie shooter fans, nor should tactical shooter fans, not even casual CoD douchers. Nothing about this looks up to snuff or comparable to anything similar to it. And it isn't the most original concept out there.

Slappers Only

Mit- said:
I feel like I didn't watch the same trailer as some of you. Or that some of you are watching the trailer in 240p with beer goggles on.

The animations look atrocious. Nothing about the graphics stand out. This is 2011. This is a game with Resident Evil in the title.

"It's only 50% done". And it's being developed by Slant 6 and it's supposed to be out by winter? This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I can't quite understand how anyone could still be optimistic about this. Resident Evil fans shouldn't be pleased, nor should zombie shooter fans, nor should tactical shooter fans, not even casual CoD douchers. Nothing about this looks up to snuff or comparable to anything similar to it. And it isn't the most original concept out there.
Rabble rabble.

legacyzero

Banned
Looks.........Dare I say..........TOO fast paced?

Looks kinda fun, but I dont play "horror" games to run around with all my other Dudebros killin zombies COD style. I could almost mistake this for a Call of Duty expansion pack from Treyarch..

I NEED SCISSORS said:
What do people actually expect though from a spin-off which is barely canon, from different developers, coming off the back of what is widely regarded as the worst game in the series, and which has totally different gameplay from previous games?

Sure, it would be different if it was Resident Evil 6, but it's not.

that would actually be WORSE.

i see what you mean though. the entire time i was watching the trailer i was confused as to why they made RE4/RE5 part of the main series to begin with. a drastic departure from the main series. the quote from the RE:ORC guy saying how it's for the shooter fans and it's super action oriented, but it's RE so it has to have horror elements REALLY put it into perspective how much they've lost their grip on this franchise. that would be like miyamoto making Mindjack Mario and saying "yeah this is for the sci-fi shooter fans but it's a Mario game so we gotta have someone with a mustache somewhere in there".

Draft

Honestly, I'll buy a Killing Floor/L4D clone period.

Make it a Resident Evil Killing Floor clone, and I might pre-order the motherfucker.

Teknoman

soultron said:
It's PvP with AI zombies, RE cast members, and creatures thrown into the mix.

One side is the Umbrella clean up crew. The other side are survivors trying to escape Racoon City, IIRC. The two sides clash because Umbrella wants to completely contain the incident, correct? It's pre-nuke, right?

While the two human sides fight, AI zombies and creatures get tossed into the mix. RE cast members (such as Leon) are also included and both sides will have different objectives in keeping the character alive or killing that character.

Yeah it's pre nuke. I didnt know they would let you play as survivors though. Seemed like you would just play as Umbrella forces, and all online modes would be some form of co-op.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
hey now. 5 isn't widely regarded as the worst game in the main series. around these parts? yeah. sure okay... but i struggle to see anything in its sales and reviews that suggest it to be *the worst* out of the mainline games.

and i don't think that term is fair either. it's one of the less regarded games in the mainline, but 'worst' would be overselling it even if all the others were better than it. all of the mainline games are at least good, and 'worst' suggests otherwise.

i mean if you think it was shit and whatever that's fine, but RE5 was one of the most successful games in the series and it wasn't the worst reviewed, so i don't see where you get 'widely regarded as the worst' from.

Teknoman

Rolf NB said:

You probably have to fight members of the RPD as well, since this is supposed to be early on in the outbreak.

And yeah, people still come in our store asking for Resident Evil 5. It was a good game imo, especially when played with another person (online even more so, full screen for everyone), however some spots werent needed (rail shooting levels, giant humanoid monster popping up again, and moving around on a boat).

Also the game needed more puzzles.

def sim

RE5 is widely regarded as the worst game in the series in this forum? The fuck, are members born post 2000 now or what?

Draft said:
Honestly, I'll buy a Killing Floor/L4D clone period.

Make it a Resident Evil Killing Floor clone, and I might pre-order the motherfucker.

If this can be a competent and more mature version of a L4D then day fucking 1...but lets be real here, L4D has Valve levels of polish and it would be a miracle if this game was of a similar quality.

plagiarize said:
hey now. 5 isn't widely regarded as the worst game in the main series. around these parts? yeah. sure okay... but i struggle to see anything in its sales and reviews that suggest it to be *the worst* out of the mainline games.

and i don't think that term is fair either. it's one of the less regarded games in the mainline, but 'worst' would be overselling it even if all the others were better than it. all of the mainline games are at least good, and 'worst' suggests otherwise.

i mean if you think it was shit and whatever that's fine, but RE5 was one of the most successful games in the series and it wasn't the worst reviewed, so i don't see where you get 'widely regarded as the worst' from.

Actually I enjoyed RE5 and think it has the best co-op this gen. I'd also rather play it than RE3.

But yes, the general consensus on this forum seems to be that it's shit. Either RE5 or RE0 is usually mentioned in the same breath as 'worst'.

that was a horrible teaser, the game didn't look that good either, I guess it would be ok if it was just a polished remake.

And Most importantly who the F' is "Slant Six games?" what have they dev...ported.. latley?

def sim

ViralMarketingDrone said:
How dare people have opinions that stray from the hivemind?
To me RE5 was even more fun than RE4.

Objectively speaking, there are a lot more trash games for RE than RE5. You honestly telling me saying it's the worst isn't sensationalism?

edit: my post was going against this supposed "hivemind" opinion. what are you even talking about?

rance said:
Objectively speaking, there are a lot more trash games for RE than RE5. You honestly telling me saying it's the worst isn't sensationalism?

edit: my post was going against this supposed "hivemind" opinion. what are you even talking about?
I was backing you up on this lol

rance said:
RE5 is widely regarded as the worst game in the series in this forum? The fuck, are members born post 2000 now or what?

I wouldn't say the majority think so, but plenty do, which is crazy to me. Anyway RE0 will forever be the worst.

eso76

They should have turned this into a new IP you say...well, there's already RE and Dead Rising, how many series with zombies does Capcom need at the same time ?

Capcom: making games with zombies in them since Ghosts 'n' Goblins

Capcom: At least two games with zombies in development at any time.

Capcom: 80% of our games are made of zombies

Capcom: perfecting zombies since 1986

Top Bottom