• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Pimpbaa

Here's a photo :)
VQgHy.jpg

But as I said, I found it hard to spot myself. I don't think it's a problem, although it might not do the 3D mode any favours.
Now I should stop wasting my uses and try to finish Hell mode :||

I really had to look for it to notice it. Redownloaded the demo, turned off the 3D, and looked for the dithering in dark spots. It's definitely not as blatantly obvious as say MGS Peace Walker on the PSP.

Really impressed by the demo. The music is amazing (I only noticed the low sound quality during the last cutscene), and the gameplay is just what I loved from RE4.

I'm still debating about playing it on 3D or not. On one hand, the 3D effect is stunning (although there's a lot of ghosting). On the other, the game looks super clean on 2D.

Was there any mention how long the story mode will be?

Did I miss something? Alternate paths or something? My first time through was an hour on normal. Hell mode took me about 30 minutes maybe.

haha no I just played hell mode over and over. I would also back tracking and scanning every room. I was planning on mapping everything out, mapping all the items are and the hidden items for both modes on the demo.

krrrt

I was mildly interested in this before, but now I have played the demo this is probably a day 1 purchase for me. I'm not sure whether the 3D really adds something to the gameplay, but it sure does look nice. (Did make me go cross-eyed a few times too many though, a problem I seem to be having with most action-heavy games where I have the 3D slider all the way up.)

Will be interesting to see how it plays with the circle pad add-on too.

Definitely impressed with the demo, hopefully it will play even better with the frankenpad. I might have to slap down a pre-order on this. February is shaping up to be a pretty good month.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Normally I'm ok with 3d and prefer it despite some minor IQ problems. RE looks sooooo jaggie in 3d mode. Way more apparent than in kart or OOT for me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Definitely impressed with the demo, hopefully it will play even better with the frankenpad. I might have to slap down a pre-order on this. February is shaping up to be a pretty good month.

Bah, dont remind me:

ff xiii 2
mgs hd
neverdead
soul calibur 5
catherine
kingdoms of amalur
darkness 2
twisted metal
the last story
jak&daxter trilogy hd

+ Vita release games

Was there any mention how long the story mode will be?

Answering my own question:
10 hours supposedly

FreeMufasa

Man..this game. I can't believe how good the graphics are. I keep stopping because i'm in awe. It plays like the RE i love. Went from not on my radar to considering it for a day 1 purchase.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I really liked the overall style of the game and the gameplay, but the gun shots (sound/feedback) felt a bit "off".

Also is there a way of shooting one time to make them stagger and then knife the opponent? RE4 style? I tried a few times but the monsters will definitely hit me before I get them down with the knife.

Pimpbaa

Man..this game. I can't believe how good the graphics are.

It still annoys me that people were judging the 3DS' full potential based on launch titles. What really impressed me was the fog effect in the demo. I know the 3DS' graphics chip was capable of it, but I didn't think it would be that good. It's going to be awesome when more developers take full advantage of the pica200's unique extensions and not just program it as if it were a plain OpenGL ES 1.1 device.

watershed

Banned
I really liked the overall style of the game and the gameplay, but the gun shots (sound/feedback) felt a bit "off".

Also is there a way of shooting one time to make them stagger and then knife the opponent? RE4 style? I tried a few times but the monsters will definitely hit me before I get them down with the knife.

I want to second this question, I haven't been able to trigger the classic shoot knee then melee attack, is that gone in this game?

Epcott

Played the demo in depth today.

It feels weird to hit L and R to walk while aiming. Sometimes I'll forget the L is pressed and my shots are not precise, then I'll realize I need to let it go and readjust my aim. After that, it was a breeze to play. (Edit: Jill runs too slow IMO).

I cant wait for the circlepad pro to come out. I really don't want to have to spin around to move my character in game, since moving the screen even a little makes Jill become double.

Vrakanox

I really like the atmosphere in the demo as well as the music and sound effects. Characters seem typical RE stock which I never had a problem with before. Although the guy with the crazy red hair is weird.

I want to second this question, I haven't been able to trigger the classic shoot knee then melee attack, is that gone in this game?

That's 'classic' as of RE4. I went into the demo trying to pull of moves from it and RE5 until I realized I was supposed to be playing it like RE1-CV. The rhythm of combat feels different.

As much as people say RE4 is the classic RE style behind the back, well, it isn't. RE Revelations has moving while shooting but the gunplay and combat is more like old Resident Evil. One thing is that RE Revelations, at least judging from the demo, is quite generous with ammo. Just shoot the enemies instead of finding ways to be stingy with ammo. Go for the face.

disco

So incredible. Really love this. Love it so so much. This deserves way more press than the crap that looks to be Zombies of War (RE6). Capcom is a very strange company. You have to wonder what they're doing sometimes...

I've had this on pre-order at Zavvi since it was £30. Cannot wait for this to arrive. So so stoked!

Teknoman

That's 'classic' as of RE4. I went into the demo trying to pull of moves from it and RE5 until I realized I was supposed to be playing it like RE1-CV. The rhythm of combat feels different.

As much as people say RE4 is the classic RE style behind the back, well, it isn't. RE Revelations has moving while shooting but the gunplay and combat is more like old Resident Evil. One thing is that RE Revelations, at least judging from the demo, is quite generous with ammo. Just shoot the enemies instead of finding ways to be stingy with ammo. Go for the face.

Yeah, the stagger strike combo really doesnt work here. Stagger stab works nicely though, especially since subweapons are mapped to a button press.

Back in the days of resi 1 you would tap up before shooting your shotgun for maximum face explosion, was so good.

Teknoman

I think im going to have to figure out when to just run/conserve ammo and when to blow up everything all over again. RE4 and 5 had conservation elements to a certain extent, but I havent played a classic series RE in awhile. Even Nemesis had a decent amount of firepower around.

I think im going to have to figure out when to just run/conserve ammo and when to blow up everything all over again. RE4 and 5 had conservation elements to a certain extent, but I havent played a classic series RE in awhile. Even Nemesis had a decent amount of firepower around.

It seems running away is a legitimate strategy here. To test it, I ran past enemies in Hell mode and was able to get through the level. The only time it doesn't work is at the elevator or the initial room. Enemies can't open doors in this game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I only killed 1 or 2 enemies in the demo. Also, do headshots help? The enemies don't seem to react when you hit them, which is a big change from 4 and 5's general flow.

edit: Oh, everybody is talking about that right now.

watershed

Banned
I think I only killed 1 or 2 enemies in the demo. Also, do headshots help? The enemies don't seem to react when you hit them, which is a big change from 4 and 5's general flow.

Headshots definitely do more damage but it looks like some of ther RE4 and RE5 limb targeting stuff is gone. I couldn't stagger any of the enemies and I couldn't figure out how to trigger a melee attack.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Yeah, still haven't figured out how to get a chance at a melee move 100% of the time yet.

At least, they left critical headshots in. I'm thankful for that since these Ivan Ooze-lookin dudes sway so unpredictably.

Anth0ny

I killed the very last zombie in the demo with my very last grenade. I was like "ohshitohshitoshit I have nothing where the hell is the ammo?!?" and then the demo ended.

Awesome.

Yeah, still haven't figured out how to get a chance at a melee move 100% of the time yet.

At least, they left critical headshots in. I'm thankful for that since these Ivan Ooze-lookin dudes sway so unpredictably.

Exactly! Aiming for the head is so risky. You're more likely to waste precious bullets hitting nothing.

Maybe it's just my poor aiming. I'll never get used to aiming with analog sticks/circle pads (mouse and wiimote user). :(
That's why I'm using the gyro sensor, but my aiming is still not great.

I hate those spiky bastards. >_<

Mupod

I really like how they handled the enemies in this. You can't just port over the controls of RE4/RE5 into the same setting as the older games because zombies would basically just be helpless target practice for easy headshots.

One option would be to go the dead space route and force you to target more than just the head, while making enemies super-fast. But Revelations still gives you the 'lumbering zombie' feel, and the enemies are more than just bullet sponges. Getting rid of random item drops is good too. Really, if I could just extrapolate the demo to a 10 hour game it'll be what I've been asking for.

I wonder if there will be times where you just have to RUN.

Well you can beat the demo by just running and ignoring most of the zombies. The only zombie you really need to kill is the one in the first room because even if you trying to ignore it it will attack you while your unscrewing the panel. Thats on normal mode, i havent tried it on hell mode yet.

tenz0r

Excellent demo, and will be purchasing day 1. Got my $39.99 pre order price locked in at Amazon, and the $5.00 already down on the Circle Pad Pro at GameStop.

Just wish NA would get it on the 26th of this month also, instead we have to wait while JP and EU get it first :(

Also, has anyone been able to tell if the 30 play limit only counts when you launch the game from the 3DS home screen? If I just leave my 3DS in sleep at the RE revelations title screen will it prevent it from counting as a play?

PKrockin

They definitely at least stagger when shot in the head or shoulder, they just don't react every time.

Definitely do react... sometimes. Perhaps, upgrading weapons in the full game will cause that to happen more often.

Oidisco

Excellent demo, and will be purchasing day 1. Got my $39.99 pre order price locked in at Amazon, and the $5.00 already down on the Circle Pad Pro at GameStop.

Just wish NA would get it on the 26th of this month also, instead we have to wait while JP and EU get it first :(

Also, has anyone been able to tell if the 30 play limit only counts when you launch the game from the 3DS home screen? If I just leave my 3DS in sleep at the RE revelations title screen will it prevent it from counting as a play?

Yea it only counts when launched from the home menu so you can play as many times as you want like that.

Just playing the demo at work since there is nothing to do at the moment and just saw the dodge move for the first time. I guess I just tapped forward while my back was to the enemy as the swung, and she swayed out the way...

Is this just a random thing or is that how its done?

watershed

Banned
Just playing the demo at work since there is nothing to do at the moment and just saw the dodge move for the first time. I guess I just tapped forward while my back was to the enemy as the swung, and she swayed out the way...

Is this just a random thing or is that how its done?

Basically I think you press forward on the circle pad just as the enemy is about to hit you and you'll dodge.

Mistle

Headshots definitely do more damage but it looks like some of ther RE4 and RE5 limb targeting stuff is gone. I couldn't stagger any of the enemies and I couldn't figure out how to trigger a melee attack.
I made one fall over and crawl... not sure how. I really miss actually seeing damage being done when I hit an enemy, and location-specific reactions. I think that's one of the big things missing from the game.

Anyway... I might be blind or something, but how do I access hell mode?

I made one fall over and crawl... not sure how. I really miss actually seeing damage being done when I hit an enemy, and location-specific reactions. I think that's one of the big things missing from the game.

Anyway... I might be blind or something, but how do I access hell mode?

Beat the game in regular mode but don't turn it off and reboot it, you have to play in that same session.

It's under "Normal".

I think Revelation will have an ironic fate.

It seems people are really enjoying it, but I am afraid outside of Japan it won't sell good at all. And the only reasons I can think of, is that 3DS was pushed by quite a handful core games in the Japan, mostly MH 3G, and that made a rather strong installed based of the core gamers on the console.

I am afraid although 3DS has sold rather good in the west, specially recently, it still lacks a foothold in core gamers demographic.

I wonder what had been their expectations when they funded Revelation; and if they will make more games of this Caliber for 3DS if this, which seems very probable, becomes the case.

Ok guys, quick question, for those that have played the demo would you say the 3D effect has been done correctly and is effective?Should I pick up a 3DS just for this game? and finally will my mind be blown?

I think Revelation will have an ironic fate.

It seems people are really enjoying it, but I am afraid outside of Japan it won't sell good at all. And the only reasons I can think of, is that 3DS was pushed by quite a handful core games in the Japan, mostly MH 3G, and that made a rather strong installed based of the core gamers on the console.

I am afraid although 3DS has sold rather good, specially recently, it still lacks a foothold in core gamers demographic.

I wonder what had been their expectations when they funded Revelation; and if they will make more games of this Caliber for 3DS if this, which seems very probable, becomes the case.

I always approach it like a "one-time killer app", at least we will have a stellar portable Resident Evil, the future of games of this ilk are always uncertain.

Heck, it may be better than Resident Evil 6 but I'd say it has much less of a chance to be followed up on.

Ok guys, quick question, for those that have played the demo would you say the 3D effect has been done correctly and is effective?Should I pick up a 3DS just for this game? and finally will my mind be blown?

That depends on whether you like "pop-out-of-the-screen" 3D or "deep window-like" 3D.

The former is almost nonexistent, the latter is done very well as there are strength settings.

3D is indeed well done! for me, it's some of the best visuals I've seen to date.
Dialogue boxes pop out in a good manner(subtle) and depth of rooms are excellent.

My eyes had some trouble though. I think it was hard to see in the dark rooms? or was it from the glare of the screen? <-Not sure

Buying the system just for this game - I'd say no, personally.

That depends on whether you like "pop-out-of-the-screen" 3D or "deep window-like" 3D.

The former is almost nonexistent, the latter is done very well as there are strength settings.

Your mind will be blown, especially if you play in 2D.

Well I guess what I should be asking instead, will the 3D effect wow you? I have only ever played pilot wings for about 10 min and I thought the 3D looked really good, is this better?will I be more amazed?

Well I guess what I should be asking instead, will the 3D effect wow you? I have only ever played pilot wings for about 10 min and I thought the 3D looked really good, is this better?will I be more amazed?

On the strongest setting, the 3D is very pronounced.

I never played Pilotwings though but as far as 3D on the system so far, the 3D in Resident Evil is definitely top-notch.

It doesn't change the gameplay or game like Mario 3D Land does but it's not hafassed 3D at all.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Played the demo again tonight so some updated impressions...

1) Holy hell does this game look pixelated in 3D!

I was playing OOT before I got to a stopping point, and I decided I try something else. Decided to play the RE demo again. Dang OOT isn't the smoothest game in 3d, but OMG does RE feel like jaggie hell.

2) Mixed feelings on the scanner

I was never a huge MP scanner fan so take this as you will, but I sort of liked scanning for items. I mean I liked scanning for stuff in the dinning room after you get the scanner, but I never felt like I really wanted to take it out in other rooms. Not sure what that really means.

3) Ship setting is played right definitely could provide some really creepy moments.

Not saying the demo did this persay, but I definitely felt like at the end when you really figure out your on a ship that man this could get creepy. That gets a big plus for me.

4) That being said I'm not sure if the ship is large enough for me

Look I get that say the mansion in RE1 really was rather linear. I mean in general there was really only one path to go. That being said stuff like the mansion foyer game you a larger sense of area and ways to go and such. The ship in the demo almost felt too corridory for me. I needed to play the full game to really know how I end up feeling.

5) Controls feel line as is which makes me wonder if I'd ever need the frankenstick.

Controls and everything were perfectly fine. I didn't have movement controls or anything. Only small issue is I still didn't fully have what direction swapped to what on the dpad. I think the fact that you hit right to switch between handgun and shotty no matter what gets me sometimes. Mainly because I'll try and hit left to go back, but that switches sub webs. In general though no frankenstick for me.

PS: I tend to play all my games in 3d with the slider all the way up. I've yet to actually play RE by changing the software settings to higher though.

Played the demo again tonight so some updated impressions...

1) Holy hell does this game look pixelated in 3D!

I was playing OOT before I got to a stopping point, and I decided I try something else. Decided to play the RE demo again. Dang OOT isn't the smoothest game in 3d, but OMG does RE feel like jaggie hell.

It varies from game to game for me but I'll be playing the final version of this game in 2D........on first playthrough at least.

It's the best looking portable game I have played in 2D.

Top Bottom