• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) real-time demo video

Deku

Banned
The preparatory price drops of the DSi and XL models in Japan is a good indication of where they want to place the 3DS in the pricing pyramid and $199 seems to be the cut off for most people.

My own prediction is $229 due in part to the weak dollar and the fact that Nintendo is going to launch w/out a pack-in in Japan but they may do something else in NA, likely some sort of demo software, or an expanded audience killer-application.

As with everything, lower price is better and as much as I'm psyched for the 3DS, I don't think it is wise for them to launch high and $200 for a handheld is really quite a giant leap already.

Eteric Rice

The thing is, Nintendo really doesn't like doing price drops unless they're putting out a new model. If they price it at $250, its going to stay there for quite a while.

That's why I think they're going to price it at $199 (system only), because they're going to want to avoid price drops.

(When I say they avoid price drops, I'm recanting an interview that said Nintendo doesn't do price drops in order to not have customers sitting around waiting for them like they do with other company's game titles.)

Furret

Banned
Deku said:
The preparatory price drops of the DSi and XL models in Japan is a good indication of where they want to place the 3DS in the pricing pyramid and $199 seems to be the cut off for most people.

My own prediction is $229 due in part to the weak dollar and the fact that Nintendo is going to launch w/out a pack-in in Japan but they may do something else in NA, likely some sort of demo software, or an expanded audience killer-application.

As with everything, lower price is better and as much as I'm psyched for the 3DS, I don't think it is wise for them to launch high and $200 for a handheld is really quite a giant leap already.

It's $10 more than the DSi XL.

I'm beginning to think this is Bizarro World.

Which way do you think up is?

Boney

Banned
Furret said:
It's $10 more than the DSi XL.

I'm beginning to think this is Bizarro World.

Which way do you think up is?
By your logic, every console and handheld would end up costing more and more because they've had better technology.

Granted, DS is the first one to have had price hikes, so thinking it'll be higher than the original product is quite natural.

But to overestimate demand, and believe there a big room for a handheld that costs $300 is stupid, it doesn't matter the technology behind, people won't pay that price.

Gravijah

Think about this: By selling it at 199, they can show how big of a value it is versus the DS and PSP. "Look at all the technology you're getting, cutting edge technology, near the price of a PSP or DS!"

They'd really be able to sell the "value".

Smo21

Eteric Rice said:
Don't see why we can't use the touch screen for camera control. : /

I gets annoying when you cant use both L and R buttons while moving the camera.

Also shooters with stylus are terrible

Furret

Banned
Boney said:
By your logic, every console and handheld would end up costing more and more because they've had better technology.

Granted, DS is the first one to have had price hikes, so thinking it'll be higher than the original product is quite natural.

But to overestimate demand, and believe there a big room for a handheld that costs $300 is stupid, it doesn't matter the technology behind, people won't pay that price.

Christ, it's like talking to children (in fact I could well be I suppose).

Whatever, but I'd save an extra $50 in your piggy bank if I were you. I'm out of here.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Maybe it's been posted in here already (i'm on page 2) but recent comments from Iwata make it pretty obvious that the 3DS packs a punch (if the Pica200 announcement didn't already) and that one reason we're seeing discrepancy in the visuals is because the machine is doing a tiered approach regarding software. The casuals don't really crave fancy graphics (and Nintendo's own games would still have their bright cartoony style regardless of graphic capability) but the power is there for companies to transfer some of their HD/core content if they want.

iwata said:
Anytime we come up with ideas for a new piece of Nintendo hardware, our objective is to find ways to entertain as broad of an audience as possible, and when we say "broad," that means regardless of age or gender or gaming skills. Yet, certain types of games have been difficult to be created with the graphic and other capabilities of the existing Nintendo DS.

When we took the new Nintendo 3DS hardware and showed it to (third-party) publishers and developers, their feeling was that much of their content was something they could realize on the Nintendo 3DS system, and that’s why we were able to announce the lineup that we did yesterday.

I surmise that the question that you’re asking is that perhaps the hardware specifications of Nintendo 3DS seem to be too sophisticated or too expensive and Nintendo 3DS may make it difficult for us to appeal to the existing audience who has been supporting us.

The next quote kind of fits in with this line of thinking too.

iwata said:
I would like to answer your question from two different perspectives. Given my development background, the first will be from a developer’s perspective, and then I’ll also try to answer the question from the perspective of a representative of the company that is the platform holder. First, I’d like to talk about how much development resources are required in order to take a game and create it in three dimensions.

As long as you are already creating a fully rendered 3D world, all you have to do in order to create the 3D visual effect is to capture the same images with two cameras, one for right eye and the other for left eye. From a development perspective, it actually does not make much of a difference in terms of development costs to create the 3D visual effect.

On the other hand, because the visual capabilities of Nintendo 3DS are more powerful than the existing Nintendo DS, if you are going to take full advantage of the graphics capability of Nintendo 3DS, the development cost is also expected to rise.

Therefore, if developers decide to try and maximize the graphical powers of the system, then the cost would be more expensive than what it is currently for Nintendo DS and may potentially approach the cost of developing Wii software.

Next, I would like to provide my perspective as the president of the company of the platform holder. While I do not think that you simply have to increase the cost of your development in order to create compelling software on Nintendo 3DS, it would also be a lie if I said that any software can be developed without spending a lot of money.

I think it’s ok to see a broad range in development costs from title to title. I believe it’s possible for developers who have great ideas to be able to find ways to develop those ideas at a relatively low cost and make the resulting game a hit due essentially to the quality of the ideas.

On the other hand, I believe there will be developers who will use a similar amount of resources to create games as if developing for a home console, and such games also would result in satisfaction to our consumers.

I see the possibility for a broad range of software development costs to increase the possibility of satisfying Nintendo 3DS owners and really appeal to a very broad audience. That would be the ideal situation for Nintendo 3DS. We intend to exemplify this with our first-party titles.

Bizzyb

Banned
It's definitely going to be $249.99

1. They CAN sell it at that price and people WILL pay (for a long time)

2. At that price it's high enough to give it a perceived higher value than both the PSP and DSi yet while at the same time not appearing to be ridiculously overpriced. Any higher and people will never jump on it as an impulse purchase.

3. It gives them MUCH more room to price slash in the future should sales damper (LULZ)

4. This isn't exactly new hardware but Nintendo wants to make AS MUCH profit as possible with this thing, from day one (gotta stack those money piles even higher)

EDIT: Oh, and they WILL be launching this Christmas. They need to hit the ground running at ludicrous speed. The thing will completely obliterate any buzz Kinect and Move would have had as THE hot Xmas item to get little Timmy. It will sell out nationwide creating a shitstorm of demand and hype. Ebay profiteers get ready.

The only issue at this point is

1. How much can we mass market for Christmas? Well it has new innards but for the most part uses similar components as the DS. I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Proudction starts sometime in July.

2. How many games can we have available by launch? Expect The DJ Heros and Star Foxes to be ready for launch Day1 but don't expect MGS or any other big franchises to be there day one (if it does indeed come this Christmas)

3. When to announce? Announcing now would be fatal because there has to be an assurance that point 1 and 2 can be met, with absolutely ZERO chance of failure. If point 1 and 2 can be meet then of course they will try to announce as late as possible as to not lose any DSi and DSi XL sales, but they can't announce too late or they will have lost goodwill from new DSi adopters.

So, I'm calling it here and now

3DS $249.99 Holiday 2010

any takers?

Boney

Banned
Furret said:
Christ, it's like talking to children (in fact I could well be I suppose).

Whatever, but I'd save an extra $50 in your piggy bank if I were you. I'm out of here.
you mad?

If you want we can make a ban bet, no way in hell it's going to be $300.

At most it could be $250, but I don't see it happening.

Just because people are paying $180 for a DS today, doesn't mean that people will pay $250 for a 3DS tomorrow, just because it has better technology. Demand doesn't go hand in hand with technology.

Kayhan

Bizzyb said:
It's definitely going to be $249.99

1. They CAN sell it at that price and people WILL pay (for a long time)

2. At that price it's high enough to give it a perceived higher value than both the PSP and DSi yet while at the same time not appearing to be ridiculously overpriced. Any higher and people will never jump on it as an impulse purchase.

3. It gives them MUCH more room to price slash in the future should sales damper (LULZ)

4. This isn't exactly new hardware but Nintendo wants to make AS MUCH profit as possible with this thing, from day one (gotta stack those money piles even higher)
I like you. Someone who can see past their desire for a cheap handheld and look at REALITY

Its nice to see this trailer in better detail. Like some have expressed earlier Jill does look odd, by seeing the pictures first I thought it was Sheva. Hunks appearance is definetly exciting.

I also believe a 250 price tag for 3DS will be more like than 200. The 3D tech and the confidence seems reasonable for me to assume such price. Either ways this price point hardly effects me as it will cost almost double in Scandinavia either ways.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Surgeon Rocket said:
No one is even talking about the game anymore... jesus
Good point. That video was amazing and after watching it, I can see how people would say it's more on par with PS3 and Xbox 360. The character models and lighting looked beyond what the Wii can do. We really didn't get a look at the worlds/environments though, so it's hard to say for certain what the final product will look like. One things certain though, the 3DS is capable of producing some highly detailed graphics. I think a Resident Evil game would be perfect for it too. Using the touch screen to aim is going to make blowing off zombies heads so much fun!

Eric_S

3DS releases at $250. PSP 3D is announced shortly after, releasing in H2 2011 and with a price of $179.

Dun dun duuuun! :p

Boney

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
There's too much potential coop going on in that trailer for my comfort.
That reloading part? Yeah it could be. Just fix the item management and I'm ok with it. Being on a handheld I'd prefer only SP.

Kayhan

Surgeon Rocket said:
No one is even talking about the game anymore... jesus
Do you ever make any non-shit posts?

Talk about the fucking game then. Oh, you got nothing to say about the game.

Alpha_eX

Can't believe they've put the mansion on a boat! :lol

Oh and I hope there is 2 player co-op and a single player mode with no stupid AI.

Kayhan

Ignis Fatuus said:
There's too much potential coop going on in that trailer for my comfort.
As long as coop is optional - not mandatory, I am fine.

I have to agree that the images does suggest coop.

Alpha_eX said:
Gotta mix it up!

Kayhan

evangd007 said:
And just in case anyone still thinks this isn't real-time and in engine, here it is straight from a Capcom e-mail.
Capcom Europe press email said:
Capcom confirms Resident Evil: Revelations video is real time
June 22nd, 2010 Posted in 3DS, News, Written by Valay
This information comes from a Capcom Europe press email…

“Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.”
VINDICATION

Alpha_eX said:
on-a-boat.jpg

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Boney said:
Let's fix this.

All signs point to RE4 type game right?
I guess it's hard to say with what little there was in the trailer. It would be pretty neat if it was a hybrid of old RE playstyle and the over the shoulder playstyle in 4 and 5.

Surgeon Rocket said:
I guess it's hard to say with what little there was in the trailer. It would be pretty neat if it was a hybrid of old RE playstyle and the over the shoulder playstyle in 4 and 5.

Analog stick to move, press stylus onto screen to go into aim mode, L to fire... or would that be terrible.

Graphics Horse said:
Analog stick to move, press stylus onto screen to go into aim mode, L to fire... or would that be terrible.

Or you just touch the stylus on stuff to shoot and where you touch will determine where you hit.

Assuming we're talking about classic RE tank controls.

A bit late in the thread, but I just saw the full video

Character models dont look all that blocky (thank goodness the fingers dont, some games on powerful consoles need to learn from this, ie AC2)

The water shown with the boat on the sea looked just plain odd. Hopefully it is remedied

Its 2010, why are we still getting cinematic trailers first?

Boney

Banned
Shooting has to stay over the shoulder. Aim with L and shoot with R.

Now for camara angles I could go for both, but a ship, with many tight corridors works better with the pre made camara angles.
This also means pre-rendered backgrounds, so models can look extra delicious.

Fake Edit: With over the shoulder camara, pre rendered backgrounds are not possible, I'm aware of that. Now I'm torn about what to wish for. Shooting I guess.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Graphics Horse said:
Slide pad to move, tap R button to go into aim mode. From there, you can use the touch screen or the slide pad to aim your weapon. L button or double tap to shoot. Have knife and reloading mapped to the face buttons and weapon swapping put on the d-pad.
That's how I'd do it.

plank

Went through this thread didnt see any thing. So I'm not sure if this been posted here but.

Capcom reconfirms Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS trailer running in real-time

"Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.” - Capcom email

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/43276/

Boney

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
Slide pad to move, tap R button to go into aim mode. From there, you can use the touch screen or the slide pad to aim your weapon. L button or double tap to shoot. Have knife and reloading mapped to the face buttons and weapon swapping put on the d-pad.
That's how I'd do it.
Wouldn't tumbling to get the stylus out be kinda wierd? And to get out of aim mode, press R again? It'd be a pain in the ass with the stylus control.

And with the slide pad, using it and shooting with L should be worse than just using R.

Of course it could use L to draw knife and R for gun. D-Pad for changing weapons, and down or a face button for healing.

Dedication Through Light said:
A bit late in the thread, but I just saw the full video

Character models dont look all that blocky (thank goodness the fingers dont, some games on powerful consoles need to learn from this, ie AC2)

The water shown with the boat on the sea looked just plain odd. Hopefully it is remedied

Its 2010, why are we still getting cinematic trailers first?

http://www.abload.de/img/re5_12dpf.gif

Fingers look a bit blocky to me.

Diablohead said:
The Ashford family likes to travel.
The Ashfords were just copycats.

"Hey Spence, you have a rad house, mind if we build one just like it in our ice cave?"

The Mansion on a boat doesn't seem so odd now.

How About No said:
The Ashfords were just copycats.

"Hey Spence, you have a rad house, mind if we build one just like it in our ice cave?"

The Mansion on a boat doesn't seem so odd now.
Shame they were unable to stick one in a submarine now that I think about it.

linkboy

Was the PSP Resident Evil shown this E3 (I missed most of the conference), or has anyone talked about it in this thread.

If not, anyone willing to take a hunch that Capcom moved it to the 3DS. Would make sense.

Pinko Marx said:
I dunno so much about that.

Why not? It'd be the first Wii game I've seen with full and accurate per pixel lighting and self shadowing.

The poly count would be (very) low for a Wii game but then that would be seen as a tradeoff, just like Doom 3 sacrificed geometric detail to allow for its incredible lighting.

linkboy said:
Was the PSP Resident Evil shown this E3 (I missed most of the conference), or has anyone talked about it in this thread.

If not, anyone willing to take a hunch that Capcom moved it to the 3DS. Would make sense.
That is the working theory, yes.

Top Bottom