• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) real-time demo video

ShineALight said:
Yeah it's hard to believe that this is real-time, as much as I want to. The fact that the camera could be manipulated and 3D effect as well confirms it as being such, though? I could see it being real-time though, like people have said, amount of polys isn't insane but the shaders etc. are impressive. This should be in-line with and totally possible on the announced GPU?

It probably IS real-time, but without physics/AI/enemies or an ENVIRONMENT

revolverjgw said:
This looks so much better than Kid Icarus that I have to be suspicious, like two different generations. I'll believe it when I see the actual game running. The first RE5 footage was also BS.
Kid Icarus is running blazingly fast and has, like, levels

While I agree this is real-time and really impressive, I think you guys are somehow missing the trees for the forest here.

adelante

2ias9ck.jpg
e36g7.jpg
2cyfsi9.jpg
etbol5.jpg
aes8w8.jpg
302crbt.jpg
j5l0tl.jpg
23ur5zl.jpg
35c3gx2.jpg

dat forearms!!

revolverjgw said:
This looks so much better than Kid Icarus that I have to be suspicious, like two different generations. I'll believe it when I see the actual game running. The first RE5 footage was also BS.
From the other thread it was stated that the tech works better for realistic graphics--the areas of Kid Icarus that really shine are the cloud effects as seen in that sunset level and such.

I'm convinced this stuff is realtime but not ingame.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It may be four years late, and it may not even be the Wii, but I said "wow," Iwata.

mr_nothin

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Well it's an entirely empty environment

Realtime does not mean in-game
Exactly why I'm reluctant to accept it. If it actually turns out to look like that then awesome. But it's just a tech demo right now and we know how that usually goes...
It's probably using all the system's power to render this. I can believe it's real-time but not representative of the game.

L00P

So it isn't really some kind of pre-rendered hoo-ha? That...just sounds too good to be true!:lol

I'm content with the graphics in the new Kid Icarus game, but the developers should really do more if this thing is really more capable than it seems!

Durante

Flying_Phoenix said:
Looks about Dreamcast level.
In terms of poly count (actually maybe slightly below DC in that) and texture resolution it does, but the per-pixel lighting and shadow mapping are beyond that.

my my, RE5's sting has a lasting effect

my appreciation for the technical accomplishments here were extremely tempered the second roid-chris and jill drama began

Father_Brain said:
IGN: "It wasn't real-time, guaranteed."

They said that after confirming they could play with the camera and 3D depth setting! :lol

Fools, what sort of voodoo magic codec do they think that video was using then because I'm sure there's plenty people that would want to get their hands on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:

my appreciation for the technical accomplishments here were extremely tempered the second roid-chris and jill drama began

At least it looks darker... although that's not really hard to do. Mario Galaxy is darker than RE5. :lol

Beth Cyra

EmCeeGramr said:

Ignoring the Re5 hate as I love the game, besides the fore arm the second Chris looked actually quite a bit smaller to me, almost like he was closer to his Remake size then when he tried to be Hulk in 5.

tass0

Banned
There's no goddamn way the game will look like that. Looking at Kid Icarus, this makes it seem like a DS game.

ZAK said:
Is it just me or does it look better than Wii? :lol

It's not just you, that's why I think it's BS. ;p

ILikeFeet

Banned
shit looks great. too bad the game won't look like that. but whateves. how will it control? I'm betting RE4 style, with the camera controlled via touchscreen. doesn't sound too bad.

EmCeeGramr said:

imagine all the boulder punching you can do in 3D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ZAK said:

Hrm, DSC looks better. Models were much higher poly, and it actually had great lighting.

mr_nothin said:
Believe it when I see it on the system. MGS4 TGS trailer was realtime too.....
Looks awesome but it looks leagues better than the other games they showed for the system so I'm a little skeptical.

There's already dozens of PS3 titles that surpass that TGS trailer and that wasn't created after only 2/3 months with alpha devkits like this was. Unlike the PS3, the 3DS isn't really going to have to use CPU resources to help out with rendering either, so you can shelve that whole, "but AI will slow it down!!" crap.

ShockingAlberto said:
imagine all the boulder punching you can do in 3D
when wesker-2 starts talking about shit i could not give less of a fuck about, i'll just tilt the 3DS to simulate my eyes glazing over

mr_nothin said:
Exactly why I'm reluctant to accept it. If it actually turns out to look like that then awesome. But it's just a tech demo right now and we know how that usually goes...
It's probably using all the system's power to render this. I can believe it's real-time but not representative of the game.
Games come out years later looking better?

Durante said:
That depends on whether you value polygonal detail or shading. (Disregarding the IQ issue)

Considering Poly count hasn't been all that relevant for years now, and shaders are what makes people say "Ooooooooo" and "Ahhhhhhhhhhh."

:p

Durante said:
In terms of poly count (actually maybe slightly below DC in that) and texture resolution it does, but the per-pixel lighting and shadow mapping are beyond that.

Texturing looks much better than DC to me, as well it should the DC only had 8MB of VRAM and the 3DS is bound to pack an awful lot more RAM.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
tass0 said:
There's no goddamn way the game will look like that. Looking at Kid Icarus, this makes it seem like a DS game.

It's not just you, that's why I think it's BS. ;p

And Super Smash Brothers doesn't look as good as RE4.

You're comparing a Sakurai game (which tend to be colorful, evenly lit) to a game that runs on MT Hramework (teehee).

ZAK said:

In terms of lighting/shadowing/shading? Yes absolutely, it surpasses pretty much any Wii or GCN game in that area. Even average Wii games have it beat in poly count though.

Branduil

ZAK said:
The shaders used in this are certainly beyond what the Wii could do. I think for this type of game, at least, the graphics of the 3DS are much better suited.

Durante

AceBandage said:
Considering Poly count hasn't been all that relevant for years now, and shaders are what makes people say "Ooooooooo" and "Ahhhhhhhhhhh."
Personally I care about polygonal detail more than shiny shiny, but I realize I'm in the minority. Still, just look at his finger!
(And then there's the issue that normal mapping can look really flat in 3D, I wonder how 3DS games will deal with that)

brain_stew said:
Texturing looks much better than DC to me, as well it should the DC only had 8MB of VRAM and the 3DS is bound to pack an awful lot more RAM.
I agree that it should (and I really hope it does pack an awful lot more RAM), but considering that there are only 3 characters and a few props to texture in this demo I don't see anything DC couldn't do (in terms of texture resolution).

jett

D-Member
That's an impressive tech-demo. Now to see how the actual game pares up. :p

Flying_Phoenix said:
Looks about Dreamcast level.

Lighting takes a dump on any Dreamcast game I own. Lighting is king.

Durante

Ignis Fatuus said:
Didn't brain_stew say it was a fundamental restriction of that family of GPU?
Not at all, it could do AA in 3D, it's just that (I believe) almost no devs will judge it worth the performance trade-off. (Unless they are already poly bound maybe?)

Top Bottom