• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) real-time demo video

Luigiv said:
That's not confirmed yet.

The Pico200 doesn't support MSAA so unless Nintendo have altered the chip's capabilities, (and considering none of the released screenshots have MSAA, that would seem highly unlikely) then no, you're not getting any AA in S3D mode.

Durante said:
Not at all, it could do AA in 3D, it's just that (I believe) almost no devs will judge it worth the performance trade-off. (Unless they are already poly bound maybe?)
The crazy technical nuances going on in that thread escape me. If they can do AA in 3D more power to them. I look forward to it.

brain_stew said:
The Pico200 doesn't support MSAA so unless Nintendo have altered the chip's capabilities, (and considering none of the released screenshots have MSAA, that would seem highly unlikely) then no, you're not getting any AA in S3D mode.
Well there you go.

Durante

Ignis Fatuus said:
The crazy technical nuances going on in that thread escape me. If they can do AA in 3D more power to them. I look forward to it.
Note that it can do AA in 3D mode in the same way (well, not really, but close enough) PS2 can. I think a grand total of 4 games used that.

I think it's a huge shame that the chip doesn't support MSAA by the way, maybe my only big disappointment regarding 3DS.

Andrex said:
The original? Well duh.

No, the Wii game. It had shitty technology even by Wii standards. The game had some great modelling and texturing but everything else about it was startlingly average from a visual/technical perspective.

Foffy

Banned
revolverjgw said:
This looks so much better than Kid Icarus that I have to be suspicious, like two different generations. I'll believe it when I see the actual game running. The first RE5 footage was also BS.

Isn't that because Kid Icarus: Uprising isn't using a lot of the shaders available on the 3DS? I recall one article mentioning that the shaders the device has are pretty important to the visual fidelity of the device, though not many other sites are talking about that.

ILikeFeet said:
I can't be the only one who though Sheva when it was actually Jill :lol

Same here. That Jill model looks off. Impressive graphics though. Resident Evil + Zombies + 3D + headphones sounds like success.

Ignis Fatuus said:

Well there you go.

Well he's technically correct, but doing so will likely cut your framerate by ~75% and no developer in their right mind is going to do that. There isn't a single console/handheld game on the market that uses 2x2 supersampling and the 3DS isn't going to change that. There is stuff like temporal AA they could experiment with I guess, but that brings with it a whole other set of issues (like often requiring a perfectly rock solid 60hz refresh, for one).

Durante

brain_stew said:
Well he's technically correct, but doing so will likely cut your framerate by ~75% and no developer in their right mind is going to do that.
Hey, that's exactly what I said.

Though I wonder where you get those 75% from, doing 2xSSAA should at worst cut your framerate by 50%, and that only if you're 100% fillrate bound which seems unlikely. As I said earlier I doubt (m)any games would use it though.

Blader5489 said:
That's on a fucking handheld?!
:lol this

that trailer was awesome B) already was hyped up for the 3DS
I want this now!!!!!
I'm just scared it won't look this good but I'm hoping it will look like that :D

"Did you really think you would get away with it? I knew you weren't Chris Redfield. Your face, your hair, your muscles, you're a totally different person posing as him!"

Crazyorloco

Looks incredible. Resident evil games are usually the best looking games on ANY system they are released on... so I believe the final product will look close to what we are seeing.

I am buying the Nintendo 3DS as soon as it is out. I will probably camp outside for this system too.

EmCeeGramr said:
"Did you really think you would get away with it? I knew you weren't Chris Redfield. Your face, your hair, your muscles, you're a totally different person posing as him!"

Was it just me, or did they cut dialogue right at the end? Dude sounds like he said "...you're already..."

"...dead?"

"...zombies?"

"...lupus?"

Durante said:
Hey, that's exactly what I said.

Though I wonder where you get those 75% from, doing 2xSSAA should at worst cut your framerate by 50%, and that only if you're 100% fillrate bound which seems unlikely. As I said earlier I doubt (m)any games would use it though.

Well the only FSAA mode mentioned in the specs is 2x2 "full scene" AA and I figure if you increase your render target by 4x, chances are you're going to run into a fillrate limitation no matter how simple your game is. There's potential that it may be feasible for certain games but again, its very unlikely, those resources can almost certainly be used more efficiently elsewhere.

Its a smplified way to look at it, I agree, but considering who was asking the question that seemed like the best way for me to answer the question, even if its technically not strictly true.

DataBot

EmCeeGramr said:
After RE5 he stopped doing steroids...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wonder if the 3DS could render RE5's title screen?
Looks sooo hot, will buy as soon as it's out!

Durante

seady said:
I think the 3D effect also has ability to make things look better than when it is 2D.
Absolutely. This can't be mentioned enough. You take in a lot more detail in 3D, and even aliasing is ameliorated to some small extent.

(However, it also has the ability to make some "tricks" less effective, particularly normal mapping)

brain_stew said:
Well the only FSAA mode mentioned in the specs is 2x2 "full scene" AA and I figure if you increase your render target by 4x, chances are you're going to run into a fillrate limitation no matter how simple your game is. There's potential that it may be feasible for certain games but again, its very unlikely, those resources can almost certainly be used more efficiently elsewhere.
For 2x2 AA I agree with the 75% (at maximum at least), but I just can't believe that it could do 2x2 but not 1x2 or 2x1. That would be extremely strange.

Synless

That is a pretty impressive video. I gotta say if it finished product ends up looking like that (polystarved as it is) or better, I will be pretty impressed.

tass0 said:
It's not just you, that's why I think it's BS. ;p

That just makes you sound like you haven't bothered to read the thread. The demo stations showing this trailer are confirmed to have been showing it in real time, with camera and 3D depth control. This is just a better-than-PSP 3D scene with shading effects applied, nothing remotely unbelievable about it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
disappeared said:
Was it just me, or did they cut dialogue right at the end? Dude sounds like he said "...you're already..."

"...dead?"

"...zombies?"

"...lupus?"

Its the last one for once.

Durante said:
For 2x2 AA I agree with the 75% (at maximum at least), but I just can't believe that it could do 2x2 but not 1x2 or 2x1. That would be extremely strange.

Fair enough, it was a strange omission from the spec sheet and there should be no real reason it doesn't support it, you're right. Either way, I don't see more than a half a dozen games in the console's lifespan using it. The PS2 had utterly insane fillrate and bandwidth and yet only a very select few games use any form of supersampling AA.

Also, :lol @ the fact there's still an army of doubters. Guys, its real, end of.

If there's one thing that makes me suspicious of this game, it's that it looks like it takes place on an ocean liner.

There has never been an RE game that took place on an ocean liner that didn't completely stink.

Luigiv

Ignis Fatuus said:
Didn't brain_stew say it was a fundamental restriction of that family of GPU?
Somewhat. The chip doesn't do MSAA (apparently) but can do SSAA so brain_stew is merely speculating that games wont have left over overhead for it 3D but could possibly activate it in 2D due to how the whole thing works. Again that pure speculation. There's nothing that confirms AA will improve in 2D. For all we know, if a game doesn't have AA in 3D won't in 2D either.

Luigiv said:
Somewhat. The chip doesn't do MSAA (apparently) but can do SSAA so brain_stew is merely speculating that games wont have left over overhead for it 3D but could possibly activate it in 2D due to how the whole thing works. Again that pure speculation. There's nothing that confirms AA will improve in 2D. For all we know, if a game doesn't have AA in 3D won't in 2D either.

Well no one can judge AA patterns better than Quaz51 and he seemed pretty confident that the AA in that Starfox shots highly suggested it came by combining the two 400x240 images. Its pretty strong evidence, and, honestly it makes all kinds of sense for Nintendo to do this.

They can achieve 2x supersampling for free while keeping a consistent performance profile between 2D and S3D modes, the question is why wouldn't they go this route? Its by far the most logical and sensible approach to the situation.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
disappeared said:

"...dead?"

"...zombies?"

"...lupus?"
"half past nine?"

brain_stew said:
Texturing looks much better than DC to me

Yeah, I think Durante's memory is being a bit overly kind to the DC's textures here. :lol

Durante said:
I think it's a huge shame that the chip doesn't support MSAA by the way

Agreed.

Durante said:
(However, it also has the ability to make some "tricks" less effective, particularly normal mapping)

I'm also curious how this'll work out. I imagine that for some relatively straightforward uses (sticking dents onto crates or whatnot) this might break the illusion somewhat, although for stuff like the examples on display in the MGS demo I don't think it should matter at all.

sfried

brain_stew said:
Well he's technically correct, but doing so will likely cut your framerate by ~75% and no developer in their right mind is going to do that. There isn't a single console/handheld game on the market that uses 2x2 supersampling and the 3DS isn't going to change that. There is stuff like temporal AA they could experiment with I guess, but that brings with it a whole other set of issues (like often requiring a perfectly rock solid 60hz refresh, for one).
But isn't this running at 30fps and not 60? Perhaps that's the reason they could afford some AA.

charlequin said:
Yeah, I think Durante's memory is being a bit overly kind to the DC's textures here. :lol

Tbf, the DC had some pretty fantastic texturing for the time but there's only so much that could be done with such a small RAM pool.

sfried said:
But isn't this running at 30fps and not 60? Perhaps that's the reason they could afford some AA.

Pretty much every streaming video on the internet is capped at 30fps. For all we know it could be running at 60fps on the actual hardware.

Branduil

charlequin said:

Agreed.

I'm also curious how this'll work out. I imagine that for some relatively straightforward uses (sticking dents onto crates or whatnot) this might break the illusion somewhat, although for stuff like the examples on display in the MGS demo I don't think it should matter at all.
The Star Fox remake looks like it's using normal maps quite a bit for the environments so I guess we'll find out.

Top Bottom