• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Announced?

Robot 492

Banned
DigiMish said:
I feel the thread title desperately needs to be changed to Resistance 3 billboard spotted or something of the like. 'Announced' is so not the right word here.
Yeah, I totally meant to PM a Mod about that last night...

I'll get it done now.

So:
2009 -> Ratchet & Clank: a crack in time
2011 -> Resistance 3

2010 -> new ip from their new studio in North Carolina?

Maybe 2010 is too soon for them (I read the studio opened early 2009) but I'd like that...

If the statue of liberty is anything to go by I really hope they dont make this one take place in America again if its as horribly narrated/story told as the last game.

highluxury said:
If the statue of liberty is anything to go by I really hope they dont make this one take place in America again if its as horribly narrated/story told as the last game.
The main story in R2 was a little bit meh but the "Henry Stillman" radio broadcasts were excellent. Too bad these pieces of story were the only one that were emotionally involving. Besides this, I could never connect with what happened to America. Even if the chimerian invasion could explain the absence of civilians, the game felt much too disconnected. It looked like a lifeless America and it felt as if there were nothing left to fight for. I hope R3 will fix that.

noah111

Still Alive
If this is real, I don't know why they couldn't at least wait until R&C ACiT releases..

You all know now that when JS (or whoever) posts on the PS Blog that ACiT is now launching and whatnot, that the very first question (and the dozens afterward) will be about Resistance 3...

Launch hype killer imo, but whatever. Seems way too early, maybe they didn't expect the ad to be spotted so soon after it was put up?

BTW i'm getting the feeling this is 100% legit, if it wasn't Sony/IG would have said something by now (as they always almost do).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sentry said:
If this is real, I don't know why they couldn't at least wait until R&C ACiT releases..

well it's a leaked billboard that should be in an upcoming movie :lol

the billboard in for an upcoming Sony Picture ( Battle: Los Angeles ) the movie will be . for Winter 2010 or early 2011 , Sony just doing Resistance 3 ads in that movie , this prety much confirm that Resistance 3 will be Fall 2010/early 2011 game.

Sentry said:
Launch hype killer imo, but whatever. Seems way too early, maybe they didn't expect the ad to be spotted so soon after it was put up?

Seeing as it's for product placement in a movie to not come out till likely 2011, it's obviously not supposed to have been leaked out so early.

BrainZEROX said:
The main story in R2 was a little bit meh but the "Henry Stillman" radio broadcasts were excellent. Too bad these pieces of story were the only one that were emotionally involving. Besides this, I could never connect with what happened to America. Even if the chimerian invasion could explain the absence of civilians, the game felt much too disconnected. It looked like a lifeless America and it felt as if there were nothing left to fight for. I hope R3 will fix that.

Generally everything in R2 had a IN YOUR FACE approach while RFOM was more mysterious and less direct, to a very good degree. Everything about RFOM's storyline design was ideal for the scope of the series till they suddenly felt that Hale had to become Duke Nukem and kick some alien ass.

At least with the new low that R2 has set for Insomniac themselves, R3 should be able to trump it .... saying 'should' because after R2 thoughts are conflicted as to if Insomniac knows where to go with the story next.

DigiMish said:

slowtaku3.jpg

Always makes me laugh.

Nizz

The thought of this taking place in New York sounds exciting, if done right. Is Resistance 2 really that bad?

I only have Resistance: Fall of Man and I'd like to eventually pick up Resistance 2. But that game seems to get destroyed by some people here. It can't be worse than something like Blacksite: Area 51.

All I needed was the demo for that to tell me I did not want that game.

Hydrargyrus

BrainZEROX said:
So:
2009 -> Ratchet & Clank: a crack in time
2011 -> Resistance 3

2010 -> new ip from their new studio in North Carolina?

Maybe 2010 is too soon for them (I read the studio opened early 2009) but I'd like that...

Maybe spring 2011, but I think, like with R2, it will be released in fall or christmas (2010?, 2011?)

Whatever, I don't mind when will be, I only ask for a good polished... if they look the R3 recommendations thread, probably, they could be in position to make a fucking awesome game :lol

Proelite

Totobeni said:
and maybe Killzone 3

A little over 2 years for Killzone 3? Not unless they reuse the engine.

In addition, someone suggested using Killzone 2's engine for Resistance 3. I fully disagree as Killzone 2's engine doesn't have global dynamic lighting model. Uncharted 2's engine would be better suited.

Maybe this is like Batman/Superman in I Am Legend. The movie is set in an alternate future where a Resistance 3 does exist and takes place in New York.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
fps fanatic said:
The thought of this taking place in New York sounds exciting, if done right. Is Resistance 2 really that bad?

I only have Resistance: Fall of Man and I'd like to eventually pick up Resistance 2. But that game seems to get destroyed by some people here. It can't be worse than something like Blacksite: Area 51.

No it isn't. Resistance 2's backlash is the most incredible thing I've seen on Gaf. I can't make sense of the intensity of it.

Shurs

Proelite said:

Why wouldn't they? Killzone 2's visuals best any other console game this side of Uncharted 2. All Killzone 3 needs to do is add co-op, refine the competitive multiplayer and add dedicated servers.

Lagspike_exe said:
It was the fastest selling Insomniac Games' title in their history.

I think JStevenson said that they are near 1 million sold units in the USA alone, but take that with a grain of sail, since I don't remember the exact quote clearly.

I swear R2 under preformed,
Still its a shame PS3 is getting another average shooter, With games like Heavy Rain and UC2 showing what the PS3 can do putting this much time into another FPS seems like a missed opportunity.

Shurs

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I swear R2 under preformed,
Still its a shame PS3 is getting another average shooter, With games like Heavy Rain and UC2 showing what the PS3 can do putting this much time into another FPS seems like a missed opportunity.

Resistance 2's co-op was anything but average.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BobsRevenge said:
No it isn't. Resistance 2's backlash is the most incredible thing I've seen on Gaf. I can't make sense of the intensity of it.
:lol
Its like Insomniac cancelled Shenmue 3 and killed Aeris.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fersis said:
:lol
Its like Insomniac cancelled Shenmue 3 and killed Aeris.
:lol Holy crap that's an apt description. I'm one of the few that really liked R2 and am definitely looking forward to R3.

R2 had moments of brilliance... but was super-patchy in terms of design, and UGLY as hell in places.... bryce canyon anyone?

Why they haven't just releases the co-op mode as a PSN title is beyond me though... it was by far the best thing about r2...

series needs a reboot.

tiedacK

Neo Member
A shooter in NY...
Original
I'm still going to play it because Insomniac is one of my favourite studios and I really enjoyed Resistance 1.

rexor0717

RoboPlato said:
:lol Holy crap that's an apt description. I'm one of the few that really liked R2 and am definitely looking forward to R3.
I enjoyed R2 more than I did R:FoM. But if they can find a balance between R:FoM and R2 I would still be happy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Proelite said:

you think Guerrilla Games will make a new Engine for Killzone 3 and throw KZ2 engine into the ocean ?

they will upgrade their engine and they will shit on Naughty Dog , PS3 graphics crown belong to GG

NinjaFusion said:
series needs a reboot.

it already happened.
resistance-retribution-20081009015458570.jpg

Insomniac need to copy Retribution and add stuff to make it bigger and more badass on PS3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
rexor0717 said:
I enjoyed R2 more than I did R:FoM. But if they can find a balance between R:FoM and R2 I would still be happy.
Same here. I still have a hard time believing that people prefer R1 to R2. It had one of the worst health systems I've ever seen and terribly placed checkpoints. It had moments of greatness but was just an above average game at best. R2 was a lot more fun. I did play R1 almost two years after it came out so maybe I just don't have the launch game goggles on. I can see stuff like the weapon wheel working out really well in the next one, though.

I just can't understand why Sony doesn't seem to want to heavily advertise their games. Hell, resistance could have benefited from a similar aproach to halo 2 & 3's advertisement. I wouldn't want them to go overboard with Hale flavored mountain dew and Killzone cupcakes, but I don't know, a well crafted ARG, some badass commercials on tv/cinemas, etc, etc. This R3 billboard is probably going to be a subliminal thing in that movie, and it shouldn't be that way.

Anyway, I've yet to play Resistance: FOM (late adopter to the ps3) and I really liked Resistance 2 (though I was able to see its flaws), so I'm looking forward to R3. Just give it more time and make it EPIC. Make it truly feel like a last stand do-or-die sci-fi/space opera with awe-inspiring set pieces full of replay value.

I need to play Resistance: FOM soon!

gibonez said:
Hmmmm is making a Resistance 3 even a financially responsible move ?

Resistance 2 sold less than half of what the first game sold.

Perhaps there is little to no interest in the franchise.

I suggest they try from again from scratch on a good franchise.

Well when you get a sneak peek at Insomniac's books, please let us know. Otherwise just STFU please.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FunkyPajamas said:
I just can't understand why Sony doesn't seem to want to heavily advertise their games. Hell, resistance could have benefited from a similar aproach to halo 2 & 3's advertisement. I wouldn't want them to go overboard with Hale flavored mountain dew and Killzone cupcakes, but I don't know, a well crafted ARG, some badass commercials on tv/cinemas, etc, etc. This R3 billboard is probably going to be a subliminal thing in that movie, and it shouldn't be that way.
There actually was a pretty cool ARG for R2. I got a few calls from Katie Sackhoff during it. :lol

Totobeni said:
Insomniac need to copy Retribution and add stuff to make it bigger and more badass on PS3.

Remember I told you about some of your posts being total nonsense? Yup, this is one of those moments.

Resistance began life as a FPS and it will end as a FPS. A transition from TPS to FPS would f-ing stupid especially with the new flood TPS games starting to surge.

Plus it would alienate the original fanbase even FURTHER away after what they did in R2.

Jostifer

Assuming Starhawk and Killzone 3 releases next year as well... I wouldn't mind an Action bundle with these three games.

Shurs

Jostifer said:
Assuming Starhawk and Killzone 3 releases next year as well... I wouldn't mind an Action bundle with these three games.

There's no way in hell Killzone 3 will be a 2010 release.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
highluxury said:
Remember I told about some of your posts being total nonsense? Yup, this is one of those moments.

Resistance began life as a FPS and it will end as a FPS. A transition from TPS to FPS would f-ing stupid especially with the new flood TPS games starting to surge.

Plus it would alienate the original fanbase even FURTHER away after what they did in R2.

but if they continue what they did in R2 there will be no fanbase.

and it's nothing new to change genre or style , last example is Red Faction , Red Faction started as FPS now Red Faction Guerrilla is 3rd person and it's better than RF1 and 2 , Resistance: Retribution proved TPS can work on Resistance and RR was million years better than R2.

Jostifer said:
Killzone ODST? Please?

no , fucking no , full new Killzone or nothing

or even new spinoff like Killzone : WRPG or Killzone : Exoskeleton Wars fast action mecha game , but Please no short expansion pack with night goggle for $60.

Proelite said:

In addition, someone suggested using Killzone 2's engine for Resistance 3. I fully disagree as Killzone 2's engine doesn't have global dynamic lighting model. Uncharted 2's engine would be better suited.

what? why wouldn't they? with the way KZ2 is and the improvements they've made to the engine(watch dev interviews) seems like a no brainer.

*and no im not saying KZ3 would be 2010 im saying why the fuck wouldn't they use their PS3 engine that took how long to build?

RoboPlato said:
There actually was a pretty cool ARG for R2. I got a few calls from Katie Sackhoff during it. :lol
Oh, yeah! How could I forget? The test subjects, and the videos and whatnot. Yeah, I loved that, heh, can't believe it slipped my mind.

They should do something similar to that for R3! :D I'm a sucker for ARGs.

shinshero

fps fanatic said:

its not that bad. Dare I say, its a good game. It has its flawas though.

BobsRevenge said:
Seconded. I had to make sure I was really enjoying the game after posting in the official thread.

Robot 492

Banned
shinshero said:
its not that bad. Dare I say, its a good game. It has its flawas though.
I loved Resistance 2. The campaign was pretty good and the co-op was amazing. The competitive MP was meh, but I still enjoyed it enough to get the 10k kills trophy.

RoboPlato said:
At least this time they actually read the thread and put up proper information about the movie set and everything. They also did give credit to the OP, which is nice.

Yeah, they give credit AFTER linking to some piss-shitty website as the "source". What sucks is that I contacted Owen the moment I saw this (with all the information) and he puts it up dozens of hours later. Pretty quick, if you ask me!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So yeah, whats the surprise? It was pretty clear that R2 was going to have a sequel.

mollipen

nskinnear said:
The competitive MP was meh...

No. God no. The competitive MP is far and away what makes me love R2 as much as I do. 60-player battles in the game are utterly epic.

The Resistance 2 hate really is ridiculous. Yeah, okay, so the single-player wasn't quite along the same lines as the original game. We get it. This talk about how "terrible" R2 was or how it has "no fans" is just moronic.

scitek

LQX said:
Ok now I get it. So there filming the movie and that's why the billboard is up, it's not up for advertisement but so they can film it for its place in the movie. I was getting perplexed at how the hell can there be a billboard for a movie with no mention of the movie.

By the time the movie is in theaters, I'm sure the game will be just around the corner.

Robot 492

Banned
shidoshi said:
No. God no. The competitive MP is far and away what makes me love R2 as much as I do. 60-player battles in the game are utterly epic.

The Resistance 2 hate really is ridiculous. Yeah, okay, so the single-player wasn't quite along the same lines as the original game. We get it. This talk about how "terrible" R2 was or how it has "no fans" is just moronic.
Did you read the rest of my post? I LOVED Resistance 2.

Top Bottom