• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Announced?

Totobeni said:
it already happened.
resistance-retribution-20081009015458570.jpg

Insomniac need to copy Retribution and add stuff to make it bigger and more badass on PS3.
Heh. Some of you are so hard to please. Retribution was so inferior to the other two Resistance games. I almost wish they would have released Retribution for the PS3 and R2 for the PSP just to see the epic meltdowns.

Well, epic-er meltdowns.

Jubs

If there are more Chicago-style levels in R3, than I'm all in. Chicago was like finding a gold nugget in a log of turd. Epic tug-of-war firefights, stalkers galore - so good. Too bad it was capped by a stupidly easy skyscraper boss, but everything before that was awesome. More levels like Chicago!

Totobeni said:
but if they continue what they did in R2 there will be no fanbase.

....And thats why Insomniac has hopefully learned their lesson and going back to the roots, or to what they originally began with. You followin' holmes?

and it's nothing new to change genre or style , last example is Red Faction , Red Faction started as FPS now Red Faction Guerrilla is 3rd person and it's better than RF1 and 2 , Resistance: Retribution proved TPS can work on Resistance and RR was million years better than R2.

Thats kinda ironic, so now TPS's have the possibility change the genre? Ive lost count of which number of Gears of War clone were at in this generation.

And who says RFOM/Resistance needs to innovate or 'change' the genre?

Red faction Guerrilla is a still considered a spin-off (notice the lack of a sequel number?) much like Resistance retribution. Thats like saying "Halo used to be a FPS series, now they're doing them in RTS thanks to Halo Wars! hur hur".

Spin-offs are fine as long as the have ultimately no effect on the mainline series installments.

Jubs said:
If there are more Chicago-style levels in R3, than I'm all in. Chicago was like finding a gold nugget in a log of turd. Epic tug-of-war firefights, stalkers galore - so good. Too bad it was capped by a stupidly easy skyscraper boss, but everything before that was awesome. More levels like Chicago!
I say we need more of Louisiana, maybe with less of those invisible things.

Robot 492

Banned
Jubs said:
I actually loved that boss battle, despite the fact that it was so easy.

"Epic" has got to be one the most overused words to describe Res 2.:lol The story has terrible pacing, ending was terrible and tried too hard to be "epic". I'm not saying people shouldn't like or enjoy Res 2 but I just don't see how people would like it. Co-op was fun for about 3-4 times then got repetitive fast. I'm not saying Res 1's story was any better but at least that had some soul. Not to mention, Insomniac Games listened to the media instead of their fanbase. Tried to make it more like CoD but if I wanted that, I would just play that damn game. Theres a reason why Res: FoM still has a active online community.

DJ Crimson said:
"Epic" has got to be one the most overused words to describe Res 2.:lol The story has terrible pacing, ending was terrible and tried too hard to be "epic". I'm not saying people shouldn't like or enjoy Res 2 but I just don't see how people would like it. Co-op was fun for about 3-4 times then got repetitive fast. I'm not saying Res 1's story was any better but at least that had some soul. Not to mention, Insomniac Games listened to the media instead of their fanbase. Tried to make it more like CoD but if I wanted that, I would just play that damn game. Theres a reason why Res: FoM still has a active online community.

I'd say both are to blame especially their insomniac fanbase. I think Resistance was getting alot of pressure from people who started to play CoD & Halo games, and the insomniac community worded that into feedback on how to improve the next game.

Insomniac broke under the heavy requests from their own community and what you see is what we got, the media only 'cemented' the "need" for change.

Gomu Gomu said:
It's been more than 10 years since we saw a new ip from these guys. It's either a R&C game, or a Resistance. I was hoping after A Crack in Time, they would do a new ip.

What the heck do you think resistance 1 was?

dalin80

Banned
highluxury said:
Insomniac broke under the heavy requests from their own community and what you see is what we got, the media only 'cemented' the "need" for change.

the myres community is the last one you would want to listen too, should be nuked from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

far too much of R:fom was lost, everything unique it had was cut in favour of a cod/halo clone and the end result was poor.

3rd times the charm.

Also a final boss slightly more involved then walking in a circle would be nice to see as well, seriously did anyone even bother to test that?

keep-

magnum
some graphical tweaks

ditch-

everything else

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
frankthurk said:
What the heck do you think resistance 1 was?
:lol

But yeah, a new IP would be nice.
Though I WANT MY RESISTANCE 3 WITH CRAZY CO OP!! IM WRITING IN CAPS THAT SERIOUS I AM :mad:

Rogosh

Co-op was awesome. I would love for them to release downloadable game similar to Socom that you could keep on the hard drive (but less buggy :lol ). That's just wishful thinking though. I doubt that idea would ever come to fruition.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Is Resistance 2 as awful as GAF seems to claim? I saw some YouTube videos of some Xbox hueg bosses from R2, and I thought it looked interesting.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Combichristoffersen said:
Is Resistance 2 as awful as GAF seems to claim? I saw some YouTube videos of some Xbox hueg bosses from R2, and I thought it looked interesting.

The game is great. Coop is fantastic. Its different from Resistance 1, so hardcore R1 fans were disapointed and speak up loudly.

That said, a sequel in either R1 or R2 veins should be good, although I think it would be more fun in R1s footsteps.

TheFatOne

AndyD said:
The game is great. Coop is fantastic. Its different from Resistance 1, so hardcore R1 fans were disapointed and speak up loudly.

That said, a sequel in either R1 or R2 veins should be good, although I think it would be more fun in R1s footsteps.

Disagree the only good thing in R2 was the co-op. I thought the multiplayer was ok, and the single player was awful.

jett

D-Member
I remember everyone hating on the way Insomniac presented R1's story when the game was released, and now everyone wants them to go back to that style?

Protip, everyone hated on it because it sucked.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
I remember everyone hating on the way Insomniac presented R1's story when the game was released, and now everyone wants them to go back to that style?

It was great. People that hated it suck.

opinions vary.

Like any FPS, Resistance 2 allows you to shoot stuff. Which seems to enough for a part of the FPS crowd.

For the rest of us: it's such standard FPS design that you can't really tell what game you have been playing after the credits roll. It's not broken-bad, but it is only slightly more compelling than playing Haze, BlackSite (and so on) or any other bad FPS on the market.

It does look prettier though.
(even when Hale is also a midget, like the Killzone 2 camera)

jett

D-Member
NinjaFridge said:
It was great. People that hated it suck.

It was terrible, there was a massive disconnect between the player and the main character, and the plot in general.

Then again I just plainly didn't think much of R1, the massive gafhype worked against me. I hope Insomniac looks forward instead of backwards for R3.

Its cool to see other people from Shitport, LA area on the forums as well. I was returning home today from running errands took the I-49 Interstate, saw the billboard and shat in my pants a small bit, cool bean cool beans. :D

DigiMish

Zeitgeister said:
opinions vary.

Like any FPS, Resistance 2 allows you to shoot stuff. Which seems to enough for a part of the FPS crowd.

For the rest of us: it's such standard FPS design that you can't really tell what game you have been playing after the credits roll. It's not broken-bad, but it is only slightly more compelling than playing Haze, BlackSite (and so on) or any other bad FPS on the market.

It does look prettier though.
(even when Hale is also a midget, like the Killzone 2 camera)

Whoa, whoa. WHOA! I think you went a little too far there :lol

DuckRacer

jett said:

People want narration in R3 again because Insomniac went in the opposite direction for R2 – storytelling through in-game cutscenes – and failed miserably. Previous method was more effective than current method, therefore people want Insomniac to return to the previous method because they blew it on something seemingly simple.

Also, Blacksite comparisons, at least for R2's SP, aren't exactly far reaching.

i-Lo

Eh, still confused.

What's the relationship between the movie called Battle Lost Angeles and R3 beyond the obvious fact that both consist alien invasion?

And the picture shows that game will perhaps revolve around New York (and so what about LA)

Beowulf28

I still can't believe how Insomniac went and made a complete 180 from the awesomeness of R:FoM. I enjoyed the Co-op but outside that the game sucked hard. Insomniac better make a throwback to R:FoM style or I'm not buyin R3.

DuckRacer

aryanr said:
Eh, still confused.

What's the relationship between the movie called Battle Lost Angeles and R3 beyond the obvious fact that both consist alien invasion?

And the picture shows that game will perhaps revolve around New York.
Nothing more, it's just product placement.

Shurs

DigiMish said:
Whoa, whoa. WHOA! I think you went a little too far there :lol

Haze is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It has 4 player drop in co-op, solid controls and decent level design. It's story and voice acting is horrible, as are the vehicle sections, but it's an okay game.

Yes, I'm being serious.

i-Lo

DuckRacer said:
Nothing more, it's just product placement.

So the real deal is yet to come and presumably this is just to get attention via what may seem like viral product placement.

The picture shows a black covering on something that maybe the possible release time (2010 or 11 my guess)

Thanks

dalin80 said:
the myres community is the last one you would want to listen too, should be nuked from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

far too much of R:fom was lost, everything unique it had was cut in favour of a cod/halo clone and the end result was poor.

3rd times the charm.

Also a final boss slightly more involved then walking in a circle would be nice to see as well, seriously did anyone even bother to test that?

keep-

magnum
some graphical tweaks

ditch-

everything else

Word. *Respect knuckle*

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DJ Crimson said:
The ending was awesome. What the hell are you talking about?

The end boss and gameplay afterwards sucked though.

Ok, since I'm sick of the bullshit arguments that say "it's great!" or "It's terrible!", allow me to chime in toward the haters.

"Terrible" implies certain things. Are the mechanics awful? No, the game controls like a dream and the guns are all unique and simple to use. The difficulty is also spot on as long as you understand the functions of the guns. Are the graphics piss poor? No; in fact, some parts look really stellar and it's a marked improvement over R1, which had the most boring color scheme this side of Gears of War. Does the game lack in modes? In modes that I care about, yeah (no split screen co-op or deathmatch); however, it had 60 player online battles and a co-op mode that received much praise. Is the storyline stupid? Debatable. But if you don't see the presentation as an improvement over R1's last second cardboard cutout "cut scenes," you're just being stubborn. If nothing else, it had a twist that nobody saw coming. I personally thought the entire ending was an adrenaline rush, as was most pf the game prior to that. The only level I disliked was the first.

It is far better than a terrible game. It's also objectively better than average. For anyone on the fence, look at the online reviews. If nothing else, you'll see that it's not the single greatest abortion in any franchise since DMC2. Give it a rent or something.

Sipowicz

Banned
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Heh. Some of you are so hard to please. Retribution was so inferior to the other two Resistance games. .

i havent played the second one, but it's supposed to be shit so i dont want to

that said retributibution is a million times better than resistance 1, and it's not even that good.

resistance 1 was an ugly, linear, generic shooter with the shittiest story/lead in fps history. the enemies were crap and had shit ai. the gameplay was ripped off other games that were actually good. the controls were shit and the multiplayer was simplistic bollocks that was wholly innapropriate for the PS3's old assed controller with the dodgy analogues

probably the worst fps i've played this gen and not far off the worst game i played on the ps3

Sipowicz said:
i havent played the second one, but it's supposed to be shit so i dont want to

that said retributibution is a million times better than resistance 1, and it's not even that good.

resistance 1 was an ugly, linear, generic shooter with the shittiest story/lead in fps history. the enemies were crap and had shit ai. the gameplay was ripped off other games that were actually good. the controls were shit and the multiplayer was simplistic bollocks that was wholly innapropriate for the PS3's old assed controller with the dodgy analogues

probably the worst fps i've played this gen and not far off the worst game i played on the ps3
I'd agree with you if the game didn't have some of the most solid mechanics in any FPS ever. I've always thought that the greatest strength of Insomniac was creating weapons that were satisfying to use.

It's pretty much a mess from a lot of standpoints, R1. But it's incredibly fun, IMO.

I'm not even touching the bolded parts. Don't play FPSs on the PS3.

aryanr said:
Eh, still confused.

And the picture shows that game will perhaps revolve around New York (and so what about LA)

They're both owned by Sony.

Sipowicz

Banned
I'd agree with you if the game didn't have some of the most solid mechanics in any FPS ever. I've always thought that the greatest strength of Insomniac was creating weapons that were satisfying to use.

It's pretty much a mess from a lot of standpoints, R1. But it's incredibly fun, IMO.

I'm not even touching the bolded parts. Don't play FPSs on the PS3.

it's not an fps (even though it's kind of like battlefield) but warhawk is a million, billion times better than resistance 1

the only bit i liked in all of resistance 1 was the part when you're in that square fortress thing and you have to defend it from the aliens coming through the wall. i think it's after you escape from the factory. it wasnt really linear and you had to run around like a headless chicken dealing with threats. it was cool

Sipowicz said:
it's not an fps (even though it's kind of like battlefield) but warhawk is a million, billion times better than resistance 1

the only bit i liked in all of resistance 1 was the part when you're in that square fortress thing and you have to defend it from the aliens coming through the wall. i think it's after you escape from the factory. it wasnt really linear and you had to run around like a headless chicken dealing with threats. it was cool
R1 actually had a bunch of moments like that. It's like arena mode in Ratchet and Clank, and it really lets you just go balls out with the guns.

:\

Oh, and Insomniac, please fill Ratchet with a ton of arena challenges. I'll download them!

kamspy

Didn't like R2 when it first came out. Boxed it up and let it marinate on the shelf until about a month ago when I busted it open and loved every level.

People who didn't like the SP and shelved it should RTTP and see if it sticks this time. Worked for me. Felt like getting a free game.

kamspy said:
Didn't like R2 when it first came out. Boxed it up and let it marinate on the shelf until about a month ago when I busted it open and loved every level.

People who didn't like the SP and shelved it should RTTP and see if it sticks this time. Worked for me. Felt like getting a free game.
Unreasonable hate only festers with time.

I'm playing it again after Uncharted to see if the hate is in any way justifiable. It's also an excuse to get a few more trophies.

-The Cutscenes in R2 were a step up from the lame still images in RFOM. But the story telling went downhill in R2. Perhaps IG can take a few hints from their friends at ND and Sony Santa Monica when they are working on the presentation for R3.

-More weapons like the revolver. One of the major draws for RFOM was the awesome and creative weapon selection. While there were some nice additions to the weapons in R2, it wasn't quite as much as people were expecting for the sequel to RFOM. Why not add in some interesting melee weapons? I'd love to see what IG can come up with. Afterall there have been some pretty interesting melee weapons in the Ratchet games.

- Take some more time. It's cool that IG likes to put a game out every year, but it's really starting to show with R2. The visuals were pretty inconsistent in R2. It would be nice if IG could leave R3 in the oven a bit longer. Then the visual jumps would be bigger, there would be bigger additions, and the final product would be more polished and consistent.

it's a marked improvement over R1, which had the most boring color scheme this side of Gears of War.

I couldn't agree more, R1 was just brown and brown and brown. I remember being blow away, the first time I saw a level cover with snow, it was blue! A new color :eek: But then again, the only color in those level was blue. I understand the complain about the color of R2, but they made the right choice. It was just a matter of polishing the visuals.

And it's the same thing for pretty much everything else in the game. I firmly believe that Insomniac is on the right track. The narrator was a cheap way to have cut-scenes ready for the PS3 launch, live action is much better, but once again it could have used more polished. For example would you trade Uncharted's awesome cut scenes for some power point presentation? Because that's why people are asking Insomniac to do with the Resistance franchise.

And I could go on like that with pretty much every change in the formula...

MrPliskin

Banned
DuckRacer said:
People want narration in R3 again because Insomniac went in the opposite direction for R2 – storytelling through in-game cutscenes – and failed miserably. Previous method was more effective than current method, therefore people want Insomniac to return to the previous method because they blew it on something seemingly simple.

Also, Blacksite comparisons, at least for R2's SP, aren't exactly far reaching.

So you either didn't play Blacksite, or you didn't play Resistance 2. Which is it? Because neither are comparable. Resistance 2 looks, runs, and plays better (with a slightly more interesting narrative).

The GAF hyperbole in reference to the overall quality of Resistance 2 is mind numbing. The Hive mind is just sickening.

jax (old)

Banned
It was fucking horrible. I bought it inspite of the negative comments and ended up absolutely hating it. I wanted to like it but th experience was just really really lackluster. I played this after killzone2 and say what u want about that game but it nailed the visuals and atmosphere and the end boss was a pain in the ass in a good way and I loved it. R2 was ugly, boring, broken and the sp game was very meh. I loved resistance but the sequel was B A D.

The end boss is all scale no substance. Like all the other aupersized boss monsters.... Bloated like the game itself and underwhelming

I find it laughable that anyone has an opinion that differs from mine.

I really liked both games, but as shooters they were so different it's amazing that they are the same franchise. All I want is for R3 to be exactly what it needs to be so we don't have to hear people bitch for a year postmortem. That should be easy right? Also, hide more awesome swag in my hometown for me to find!

Jax said:
It was fucking horrible. I bought it inspite of the negative comments and ended up absolutely hating it. I wanted to like it but th experience was just really really lackluster. I played this after killzone2 and say what u want about that game but it nailed the visuals and atmosphere and the end boss was a pain in the ass in a good way and I loved it. R2 was ugly, boring, broken and the sp game was very meh. I loved resistance but the sequel was B A D.

The end boss is all scale no substance. Like all the other aupersized boss monsters.... Bloated like the game itself and underwhelming
:lol

Jax said:

Really?

I can only assume that you have two scales for rating games: "Great" or "fucking horrible".

Kittonwy

Banned
Jax said:

The bosses in R2 were terrible, they were just regular enemies but with more hit points, none of them were good pattern fights.

The biggest problem with the SP campaign was that the environments were way too linear, not in a way that there was only one way to go from place to place, that was to be expected, but how the levels were designed in such a way that they're basically narrow corridor after corridor with very few opportunities to actually flank enemies. There was just no love and attention to details in how the game was put together. The problem with co-op was that enemies were just fodder, they weren't interesting or smart.

The problem with the controls was that the weapon reticle was fucked up for the most part, shooting from the hip was not accurate at all, and aiming down the sights should have provided a much bigger boost in accuracy and precision in exchange for a sacrifice in mobility, even grenade-throwing was fucked up. Everything lacked tuning, it's like the game was slapped together in a year, when you try to revamp a lot of the systems that worked in the first game, you can't just put the game together in one year and a bit, because so many things need to be retuned, you need a lot of play-time to correct things.

MrPliskin

Banned
Jax said:

You thought Resistance 2 was horrible, but dug Killzone 2? Wat?

Killzone 2 was a big bag of pretty, wrapped up with poor controls, a terrible and uninspired story, and some really embarrassing 'boss' encounters (just as Resistance 2 had). I certainly don't think it had anything over R2 as a game, barring visuals.

Edit: Oh great, Kittonwy is here to tell us what's right and what's wrong, and how HDR would have saved R2. *sauce*

Out of all the thing that I could say here to the subject of "How to make R3 not suck like R2 did." There's one thing in particular I would like to emphasis.

Snow. I want. Fucking. Snow.

Top Bottom