• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Field

I finally finished it today. It was good, probably my favorite out of the three games. But the last few chapters weren't as good as the rest of the game IMO.

Popped this in randomly (it has been a long while since I've beaten it) and just doing some odd trophy hunting via chapter select until I got to the avoid being hit by sniper trophy. I am so glad I put this game back in.

I'm playing in 3D, and I'm in the moonlit forest using stealth to avoid snipers and dropships that have searchlights casting amazing shadows through the foliage and rickety cabins. Once that is over with and the trophy pops, I was very close to quitting out to boot up another trophy-friendly chapter but decided to fart around in the mineshaft, my new whereabouts. After killing off a few enemies, terror had set in. Everything was dark around me, chimera were growling from unknown places in the twisting tunnels and health was running low. The atmosphere on top of the emotions I was feeling multiplied as I kept playing. I stopped after meeting that preacher guy. Can't wait to play more. Next to Shadow of the Colossus, this defintely has the best use of 3D I've ever played. When the grims get close and swarm you...? Holy balls!

Oh, I played the MP earlier and I didn't mind it. Didnt do well... but had fun. People still playing?

Edit: This reads like a badly written PR piece haha. I wrote it with a smile on my face if you needed context.

I went back and played some SP and MP today. You know I thought Burning Skies was ok but the difference between Nihilistic and Insomniac is just staggering. From the menu design to the gameplay and the little things like the journal entries. R3 is such a good game. I still don't want to believe their done with Resistance and hope to see one more game on the next generation of consoles.

IISANDERII

What difficulty should I play on?
I like a challenge but hate being cheaped out like the Veteran difficulty in Call of Duty; I prefer Hardened.
This would be my first Resistance game.

Radec

I like a challenge but hate being cheaped out like the Veteran difficulty in Call of Duty; I prefer Hardened.

Try Hard. Then go for Superhuman when you unlocked it.

There are some stages that's a bit really hard primary because of the lack of health regeneration. But having tons of available weapon at the same time helps.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Hard is what we tuned it too, it's the right way to play it if you're a big shooter fan

IISANDERII

Excellent game, love the smooth and polished gameplay. Great variety in enemy types and weaponry[though I really wish there was a semi auto assault rife; I love the challenge of a single shot]. Glad the usual 2 weapon limit crap has been ditched.
Try Hard. Then go for Superhuman when you unlocked it.

There are some stages that's a bit really hard primary because of the lack of health regeneration. But having tons of available weapon at the same time helps.

Hard is what we tuned it too, it's the right way to play it if you're a big shooter fan
Not sure where I am but I just joined up with the local resistance and are setting up an ambush. The challenge has been excellent so far, without being cheap. There have been a number of deaths/retries and that's the way it should be. The difficulty is right on my money.
Thanks, gents.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Excellent game, love the smooth and polished gameplay. Great variety in enemy types and weaponry[though I really wish there was a semi auto assault rife; I love the challenge of a single shot]. Glad the usual 2 weapon limit crap has been ditched.

Not sure where I am but I just joined up with the local resistance and are setting up an ambush. The challenge has been excellent so far, without being cheap. There have been a number of deaths/retries and that's the way it should be. The difficulty is right on my money.
Thanks, gents.

oh yeah, you gots a long ways to go. Maybe 1/3 of the way through at this point.

Keep letting us know what you think!

IISANDERII

oh yeah, you gots a long ways to go. Maybe 1/3 of the way through at this point.

Keep letting us know what you think!
Deep in NYC, I must be near the end. I think the game is excellent and the best FPS campaign I've played in a very long time.
I can't overstate how much I love the smooth, responsive and precise gameplay, especially considering the marvelous graphics and large environments. In contrast, I stopped playing Metro2033 a few days ago because it was too ragged at its 30fps.

I love the set pieces and the enemy variety, though the enemy AI is a bit underwhelming when it comes to defending itself. The settings are great too, cool details and tons of good ideas executed very well. Really like the story and how the conquerors are largely unknowable; no cut scenes involving an evil mastermind hell bent on destruction. Good voice acting and dialogue, triple A through+through.

The difficulty is so very finely tuned, polished to a gleaming shine. And that's where my only real complaint comes because I guess to accomplish this, ammo is quite limited, especially with the more interesting weapons. I never knew when I had to slog through with the Bullseye or if I could have fun with the sniper rifle. Seems restrictive and overly linear, especially coming off RAGE with its free form, allowing you insane firepower and nearly unlimited attack options.
Speaking of RAGE, R3's alien installation endgame is a billion times better. R3 also gives you an amazing sense of scale in this massive place. Obviously there was strong effort to eliminate the monotonous corridor syndrome, even if the objectives are repeated.

Conclusion: Superb.

adendum: I also wanted to add that it's a bit by the book. And there are frequent delays for sfx.
Still superb though. I'm playing through on Superhuman with unlimited ammo this time and it's really fun.

I kind of want to check this game out for the Move controls, are they any good? I really enjoyed using motion controls in Metroid Prime 3 & I'm looking for a similar experience.

And I played through the first game (and loved it), but not the second. Will I be missing anything major?

witness

Bought R1 and R2 again to add back to the collection, and I plan on getting R3 for the first time next week. I'm mostly interested in the SP, but do people still play the third one online?

Radec

Bought R1 and R2 again to add back to the collection, and I plan on getting R3 for the first time next week. I'm mostly interested in the SP, but do people still play the third one online?

I'm curious to what happened to the mp as well. dropped it after a.month.

there should have been a coop day one.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm kinda surprised how often people call this game "polished." I'm right at the end of the game right now, playing on Hard. I have really enjoyed about half of it. The rest has been mostly mediocre with a few moments of shit. The shit moments are few and far between, but they are bad enough to get me frustrated.

There have been times when I've cleared out a room, walked into another room, and then behind me there are suddenly 4 aliens who secretly spawned for no reason. There have been times when I've gone up to hit a switch or a press a button, and when I did, a group of enemies piled out of an unseen area right next to me. When I die, it puts me back before hitting the switch and the same enemies leave properly (before getting to the switch). I wish I had written down every moment when I yelled at my screen that the game was broken because I don't even remember a lot of the moments now.

edit- I just finished it. That last segment was truly lazy and sloppy. Some enemies stood in place and all of them infinitely respawned. If you try to tactically take out the enemies, you soon realize that's futile and all you need to do is sprint around breaking the objects you have to break. Then it's like the game just ends. I'm not going to be too harsh on a shooter for its story, but that ending sure was crappy. I really liked the buildup of making my way to New York, but then you get there and it's like "Hey this is too hard, let's go back. Wait, never mind, we didn't try something really obvious. Let's go try that. Ok we did that. Now the credits will roll in 15 seconds."

I was really looking forward to this game because of the praise the SP got, but it felt pretty shoddy to me. It had some really cool moments and there were times when I really thought Insomniac had nailed it, but overall it's not very good. Even with the extra development time it supposedly had, it felt half-baked.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I bought this during my local games shop holiday sale.

My family has popped out for a walk so I thought I'd give it a quick go.

It's now been updating for more then a hour. 4 separate downloads and installs. Over a 1Gb of data. It's still not done. Are you kidding me. Jeeze.

I wish I'd never bought it.

Melchiah

So I bought this during my local games shop holiday sale.

My family has popped out for a walk so I thought I'd give it a quick go.

It's now been updating for more then a hour. 4 separate downloads and installs. Over a 1Gb of data. It's still not done. Are you kidding me. Jeeze.

I wish I'd never bought it.

I've never really understood how something like that can be such a huge deal for some people. When I buy a new game, I imediately put it into the system, so it can update itself while I do something else.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've never really understood how something like that can be such a huge deal for some people. When I buy a new game, I imediately put it into the system, so it can update itself while I do something else.

Because I want to actually play a game rather then waiting more then a hour for the pleasure. It's ridiculous.

It would help if PSN wasn't as slow as a week in a jail. I should be able to download 1Gb of data on my broadband in around 10mins. Why does it take PSN over 6 times as long.

Melchiah

Because I want to actually play a game rather then waiting more then a hour for the pleasure. It's ridiculous.

It would help if PSN wasn't as slow as a week in a jail. I should be able to download 1Gb of data on my broadband in around 10mins. Why does it take PSN over 6 times as long.

Well, if you come late to the party, you tend to have some catching up to do. That being said, you can play the SP campaign without updating.

PSN gives me 1-2 MB/s download speed. I can usually download a 10-20GB game in a couple of hours.

cyberheater

Well, if you come late to the party, you tend to have some catching up to do. That being said, you can play the SP campaign without updating.

PSN gives me 1-2 MB/s download speed. I can usually download a 10-20GB game in a couple of hours.

I'm on a 30mbit connection. PSN is the only slow internet thingy in my house.

Back to the game. Tried the move controls but didn't like them. Normal controller works better for me.

Liking it so far.

Volotaire

I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but does the European version of the Resistance Collection/Trilogy come with download codes or discs? Thanks.

Melchiah

I'm on a 30mbit connection. PSN is the only slow internet thingy in my house.

Back to the game. Tried the move controls but didn't like them. Normal controller works better for me.

Liking it so far.

100mb wired connection here, and I've never had problems with (wired) download speeds. They're slower than those of the PS4 and PC though.

I really hope there'll be a 4th entry (excluding the Vita one) to the series at some point.

cchum

Hello GAF,

Sorry for the bump, but has this game been delisted? I have the multiplayer unlock in my dl list but can't find the game.

Top Bottom