• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

SRTtoZ

I cannot wait to play the SP campaign for this. Ive read about 50 pages in this thread last night and I have some insane HYPE. I need to finish Revelations first though....

Stupid Xmas gifts...

I'm totally clueless why this game is not getting ANY nominations for GOTY on any website I visit... I've played most of the big games this year and R3 is close to my GOTY. Even Giant Bomb didnt even include it in its giant 50 game list.

Yet everyone keeps including Gears 3. Its so much better than Gears 3... I'm also surprised how bad Gears is.

MrPliskin

Banned
The honest answer is most of them didn't play it. They are only interested in big budget games with a huge marketing blitz because that's what pays the bills.

I'm totally clueless why this game is not getting ANY nominations for GOTY on any website I visit... I've played most of the big games this year and R3 is close to my GOTY. Even Giant Bomb didnt even include it in its giant 50 game list.

Yet everyone keeps including Gears 3. Its so much better than Gears 3... I'm also surprised how bad Gears is.

Well IGN awarded it fps of the year, but it's IGN so it isn't saying much.

Just got done with the SP and I got a question, is there a better ending (maybe on a harder difficulty)? I sat through the 10 minutes of credits hoping to see something else but there was nothing. Also, when you redeem points for videos in the shop, where can you watch them? There was no option to view them on the menu that I could see.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just got done with the SP and I got a question, is there a better ending (maybe on a harder difficulty)? I sat through the 10 minutes of credits hoping to see something else but there was nothing. Also, when you redeem points for videos in the shop, where can you watch them? There was no option to view them on the menu that I could see.
It is the same ending regarding on which difficulty level you play on. To watch the videos, click on them again after you unlocked/bought them.

I guess Resistance 2 left a bad taste in their mouth. Best FPS I played this year without a doubt.

Pretty much, that and the buggy MP beta made it hard to generate any kind of momentum in terms of commercial and/or critical success, that and it wasn't like Insomniac was pitching the game to the media with a ton of enthusiasm, you can blame it on Sony, you can blame it on the websites, you can blame it on marketing but ultimately it came down to the game in terms of the ability to sell it to people with those "wow" moments.

NIGHT-

Beat it last night. Felt a little short but def had some great atmosphere. Not near HL2 levels as gaf was praising. Still the game felt really short and had some extremely bad glitching in areas. Game just did not feel polished. Seems like both this and UC3 were both rushed.

Overall I'd give it about an 8.5/10 with the first game being an 8 and the 2nd being a 6

Beat it last night. Felt a little short but def had some great atmosphere. Not near HL2 levels as gaf was praising. Still the game felt really short and had some extremely bad glitching in areas. Game just did not feel polished. Seems like both this and UC3 were both rushed.

Overall I'd give it about an 8.5/10 with the first game being an 8 and the 2nd being a 6

You should try the MP. It´s really good.

This is one of the most enjoyable FPS's I have played in a long time. There were a few chapters that I could have done without as I am not sure what they were trying to achieve. This game really had a nice mixture of the first 2 games, but closer to RFOM and has that bit of the Halo feel to it and a mix of Half Life 2 imo. There was quite a bit of Half Life 2 in some of the later levels, which is not a bad thing at all.

If we do get an R4, please bring in vehicles..........I think having the use of vehicles in a FPS helps break things up a bit. This game trounces Killzone 3 in terms of pacing and direction as I never felt like I was going from set piece to set piece.

The ending just came out of nowhere and I kind of expected a bit more than what we got at the end. I thought for a second there that Capelli was going to die. It felt that way just for the thought that when the radio started playing at the end with his wife talking over the radio.

I feel at this point that the United States has been liberated from the Chimera based on the 3 games. I would love for them to take R4 to Europe and Russia. The credits make it seem like the war is over and that humanity is finally starting to rebuild, but I don't see how destroying the tower only in NYC would end that..........how about Europe, Russia, Asia, etc?

At one point I thought the Chimera had disappeared for good and this was turning into a Grim and Leapers centric game. LOL! Those grims were probably some of the toughest enemies in the game just because of them traveling in packs. This part sort of was killing the game for me a little bit. It's fine for a chapter or two, but I felt like the tone of the game was changing into this.

The use of an orchestra for the music really made this game standout. I would love if they released a soundtrack.

I was quite excited to see the SRPA soldiers late in the game, really love their uniforms.

If your on the fence about this game, I'd give it a rent at the most especially if you enjoyed the first two games. It was well worth the ride. I would rate this around a 9-9.5 if it were me. The first half of the game was very well done. When I got past Chapter 12-13, it kind of fell apart a little bit and picked up again in NYC. But I will give Insomniac props for really having variety in this game. I did enjoy the train level, that really helped add some variety and the prison was a nice touch.The issue with many other games and even the first 2 R games is there was no variety in enemies like we got in R3. In R3 we had a good 20 different kinds of Chimera that we were dealing with.

Melchiah

Finally reached the top 100 in Global Resistance. =)

ZBdwN.jpg

Melchiah

That's nuts! I still have some titles I wanna unlock...better play more!

I've unlocked everything I wanted; Bloody Hell, concept art and MP skins. The only thing left is...
Mayor of New York - Deploy a total of 8,175,133 troops: Grants 3500 experience points
...but I think I don't even want to aim for it. Seems such a long way to reach it.

Fezan

Insomnaic....You guys have done a great job..If R2 was never released or if this game name wasn't R3 then it could have been Half life of this generation

SRTtoZ

Welp, beat it last night and it was a great experience. I love the helpless feeling you get from playing as Joe Capelli. I do have 2 complaints though...

1) Way too short IMO. I know its normal these days to get a 7-8 hour campaign but I just felt like this game needed to be longer to flesh things out. I would have LOVED a 15 hour campaign for once...It didnt take away from the overall game, but since I am in it just for the Singleplayer, it left me disappointing when the game ended.

2) The ending. WTF. It just literally ENDS. No spoilers here but with all the great cutscenes they had during the game, I cant believe the final cutscene was so short and meh. I really wanted a better conclusion, espeically now that we might never see a R4.

Great game all around, this was my first Resistance game and I loved it. VERY HL2-ish feel.

9/10

LQX

Anyone else having or had issues with this game? Go to start a game and it does not load. Just a black screen. Also the this game makes my system click. I know there is install bug but my problem is loading a level period. I see others with the same exact issue but no help at all but it seems pretty common.

Welp, beat it last night and it was a great experience. I love the helpless feeling you get from playing as Joe Capelli. I do have 2 complaints though...

1) Way too short IMO. I know its normal these days to get a 7-8 hour campaign but I just felt like this game needed to be longer to flesh things out. I would have LOVED a 15 hour campaign for once...It didnt take away from the overall game, but since I am in it just for the Singleplayer, it left me disappointing when the game ended.

2) The ending. WTF. It just literally ENDS. No spoilers here but with all the great cutscenes they had during the game, I cant believe the final cutscene was so short and meh. I really wanted a better conclusion, espeically now that we might never see a R4.

Great game all around, this was my first Resistance game and I loved it. VERY HL2-ish feel.

9/10

Realistically no shooter is longer than 10 hours anymore. But i do agree that the Resistance world should have been more fleshed out. I played all 3 of them, and yet i know very little about the chimera. IG should have also told us the chimera´s view point, and further elaborated upon their plans. The ending was really abrupt. I thought that was it. I was hoping for a chimeran mega boss who has been pulling all the strings from the first game. But the SP still fantastic.

Anyone else having or had issues with this game? Go to start a game and it does not load. Just a black screen. Also the this game makes my system click. I know there is install bug but my problem is loading a level period. I see others with the same exact issue but no help at all but it seems pretty common.
Try take the game out, put it in, then restart your PS3.

LQX

Realistically no shooter is longer than 10 hours anymore. But i do agree that the Resistance world should have been more fleshed out. I played all 3 of them, and yet i know very little about the chimera. IG should have also told us the chimera´s view point, and further elaborated upon their plans. The ending was really abrupt. I thought that was it. I was hoping for a chimeran mega boss who has been pulling all the strings from the first game. But the SP still fantastic.

Try take the game out, put it in, then restart your PS3.
Been doing that for two days. Seems the common trend is having to delete the data it installs and that takes nearly 1 hour. And this as to be done every time this bug hits. Sucks because I really like the game.

KongRudi

Banned

9/10

You should pick up the Twin-pack wich include the two first two games.

The graphics, might be abit worse for wear nowadays..
But I still think that the first game is probably my favourite FPS this generation, and it's long too, Insomniac must have tought that devs could use all that extra bluray-space for more content... :)

Didn't like the sequel as much as the first game, it's still a good game, but they went to far to please the reviewers, who didn't feel it realistic with that many weapons, and health-packs, narrator and similar archaic features, wich were the main thing they complained about on the first game. :-/

But it's saved somewhat because of the weapons, gameplay and story, especially the ending of the second one shocked me.

I know it has been done a few times since.. But it were pretty shocking still.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Picked this up on the cheap at the weekend, first FPS I've bought since Killzone2! (not really my genre)... I'm quite impressed so far even though I suck horribly at it.

teiresias

I got this game for Christmas along with a navigation controller for my Move and had been playing the game fine with the combo so long as I reassigned the navigation controller to #1 before starting the game.

Suddenly, today though, I'm not able to get the game to recognize the navigation controller at all. I've restarted the game numerous times and even restarted the system numerous times. It works fine in the XMB so I know it's not the controller.

This game is so horribly coded for the Move in everything but implementation of the actual controls. It's buggy in picking up the controller, and they had to take out the Move control configuration options because they couldn't spare five minutes coming up with art assets to show the Move in the configuration screen and thus pass Sony certification. Pitiful.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm ready to trade the game in over this issue, I'm just pretty much done with Insomniac at this point for anything other than R&C.

teiresias

Are you booting up your PS3 with a DS3 or the Nav? Boot it up with the nav and you should be fine.
I was able to get it working somehow last night. I'm not sure what I did.

I turn on my sound system, TV, and PS3 using a macro on my Logitech Harmony remote, so starting the system with the nav is annoying and shouldn't be necessary.

MrPliskin

Banned
I was able to get it working somehow last night. I'm not sure what I did.

I turn on my sound system, TV, and PS3 using a macro on my Logitech Harmony remote, so starting the system with the nav is annoying and shouldn't be necessary.

You do realize that your IR adapter is assigned a controller port, and that IT is the cause of your problems, not R3. I'm fairly certain this is the case with almost every move game.

Decado

I'm playing co-op with a friend, but when we load the game, all his weapon experience is reset to lvl. 1. How do we get his experience back or make sure it doesn't happen again? We tried logging in as both guest 1 and 2 (there are no other options). This is rather frustrating.

thanks

Norml

I just tried to delete the install and it stalled,now it says corrupted data and keeps stalling making me hard reset,is reformatting the system how to fix it?

MrPliskin

Banned
I just tried to delete the install and it stalled,now it says corrupted data and keeps stalling making me hard reset,is reformatting the system how to fix it?

Delete takes a long time. Let it finish and you should be fine. It's a PS3 OS bug.

I'm playing co-op with a friend, but when we load the game, all his weapon experience is reset to lvl. 1. How do we get his experience back or make sure it doesn't happen again? We tried logging in as both guest 1 and 2 (there are no other options). This is rather frustrating.

thanks

Is he playing under his own account? If he is, then all of his weapons will be lvl 1 and he will have to level them up. They will be that level when he loads up his own save on his account. Alternatively, you can log in under your account two times (I believe) and all he will share all of your upgrades, but there is no stat tracking involved here.

Got this for Christmas and finally started playing it. I'm very impressed, graphics are great, set-pieces so far have been really good - but what's up with the audio-sync issues? Nearly every dialogue/cut-scene so far has been plagued with mouths running 1-2 seconds behind or in-front (can't really tell) of the audio track?

Chocoboko

Just beat it and completely loved it. I thought the first one was okay and hated the second one. This one just blew me away. Maybe because I wasn't expecting much from it but I loved every second of it. It had a very strong Half Life 2 vibe to it. I don't think it was as good as Half Life 2, but I still had a ton of fun with it. I loved the whole family storyline and small groups of people banding together to stay alive. Made me really feel isolated in this oppressive world.

My only complaint is the ending
I felt like there was a ton of missed potential here. Throughout the game there are a lot of journal entries that talk about other chimera, REAL chimera. I was expecting by the end to be seeing these real chimera. Not just people infected with the virus. I also thought it would have been cool to get sucked into the warp gate hole ( or whatever it was ) to see the place that chimera really come from. Looking up in the sky in that last few levels as you get closer to the tower you can see what look like destroyed planets. Would have been very interesting to at least see some of that. Like someone said earlier in this thread, even with playing all 3 games I feel like I don't know much about the chimera. Why did they want to come here? They touch on it a little in the journal some, but it was just a theory. Would love to see the chimera side of things if they make another one.

Will there be a Resistance 4? Does anyone know where the Vita game fits in? Is it just a side story.

I have to say I kinda like short FPS campaigns. Although, with Resistance 3 I honestly felt like I could have used a few more chapters towards the end to really flesh stuff out. Really great game.

EDIT: The Bug Reel video is pretty great.

Tokubetsu

Got this for Christmas and finally started playing it. I'm very impressed, graphics are great, set-pieces so far have been really good - but what's up with the audio-sync issues? Nearly every dialogue/cut-scene so far has been plagued with mouths running 1-2 seconds behind or in-front (can't really tell) of the audio track?

I had this problem to along with a few others. Doesn't seem like it's ever getting fixed.

MrPliskin

Banned
If a new Resistance title does come to be, I'd much rather the developer just take the title a few generations into the future, and give us back story through journals. I want to see the explore things like technology, space travel, and put us on the Chimeran planet.

I want humanity to take control of a tower, and the struggle between Chimera and Humans to go on for a few generations. Humans find a way to travel to the Chimeran planet, and send a team in to destroy it with A-bombs or some crazy business. 4 player co-op campaign. Make it so.

Top Bottom