• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

MrPliskin

Banned
ADS is "aim down sights" (or, the correct term would be iron sights).

I strongly disagree that they break anything, since the AI is far from aggressive, and the aim assist is pretty forgiving. Not to mention how batshit powerful most of the guns are. Sights are rarely necessary.

Himself

ADS is "aim down sights" (or, the correct term would be iron sights).

I strongly disagree that they break anything, since the AI is far from aggressive, and the aim assist is pretty forgiving. Not to mention how batshit powerful most of the guns are. Sights are rarely necessary.

Ahh OK. Yeah I didn't rely on iron sights/ADS much if at all.

The AI isn't aggressive likely because of ADS. If the AI is aggressive enough, it makes the encounters more dynamic and increases the possibility of each encounter playing out in an entirely different manner each time you play the campaign. If sights are rarely necessary then that's a flaw in the design and they shouldn't be there at all. If only Insomniac had gone the R:FoM route in this regard. Le sigh.
I can't defend how the game was able to pull off other visual effects by dropping the resolution a bit on the technical level that others have, but I can say that I thought a lot of the locations had excellent art design and, to me, damn good graphics. E.g. the culminating battle in Haven.

I was only talking about how blurry the game was, which affects everything, in regards to the visuals. Everything else from the art design, realizing the environments, are all top notch, but they would've been better if the game wasn't so damn blurry. I remember I had to boot back to the PS3 home screen in order to check if the game was outputting in 720p.

The game is a blurry mess. There's no denying this.

Speaking of going back to a certain screen, I had the worst time when I put the disc into my PS3 for the first time. I was sitting in my chair, waiting for thirty minutes before I finally saw the title screen for the first time. The game was downloading and installing for thirty minutes before I finally got to play, and all I wanted to do was play the campaign! Completely, entirely unacceptable.

MrPliskin

Banned
Your thoughts on iron sights (really, stop saying ADS, it's stupid gamer lingo) and AI aren't consistent from post to post. The game handles all of this well enough, with aggressive enemies, passive enemies, and enemies that travel around a lot.

Fist you say the AI shouldn't be too aggressive if there are iron sights, and now you're saying that it isn't aggressive (which is exactly what you asked for in the first place). Really confused.

Angelcurio

I am having a serious lock up issue. I'm playing the game in offline coop and in superhuman difficulty, but when i reached chapter 13 "Meet Jonathan Rose", the character Jonathan freezes up and never repairs the elevator. I exit the game and try to reload it, and now every time i try to play the chapter by clicking "continue", or selecting the chapter manually, the game goes into the loading screen and after that into a black screen, and never starts. I have tried to load it several times, but looks like i can't continue my game with my play through.

I am having a serious lock up issue. I'm playing the game in offline coop and in superhuman difficulty, but when i reached chapter 13 "Meet Jonathan Rose", the character Jonathan freezes up and never repairs the elevator. I exit the game and try to reload it, and now every time i try to play the chapter by clicking "continue", or selecting the chapter manually, the game goes into the loading screen and after that into a black screen, and never starts. I have tried to load it several times, but looks like i can't continue my game with my play through.
Maybe try deleting and redownloading the game data (not save data).

kingkaiser

The game is a blurry mess. There's no denying this.

Yeah, speaking of image quality it seems that this other Sci-Fi Shooter Number 3 was a huge inspiration for Insomniac in that point. Too bad they didn't manage to replicate the awesome endless repeating corridors of that other game...

Angelcurio

Yea, that's a retarded OS level bug that doesn't agree with how IG installed their game data. Unfortunately, you have to let it delete for nearly an hour.

Whoa, that's a lot of time. Have you heard about the loading screen bug though? do you know if deleting the game data will at least fix it since right now i have an unplayable game? thanks in advance.

Your thoughts on iron sights (really, stop saying ADS, it's stupid gamer lingo) and AI aren't consistent from post to post.
I thought you stopped reading after "PS2/Xbox," so how can you say I'm being inconsistent when you didn't even read my first post in its entirety?
Yeah, speaking of image quality it seems that this other Sci-Fi Shooter Number 3 was a huge inspiration for Insomniac in that point. Too bad they didn't manage to replicate the awesome endless repeating corridors of that other game...
...what?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Lowblow! R3 has 92% of the pixels of Sci-Fi Shooter Number 3!

MrPliskin

Banned
Whoa, that's a lot of time. Have you heard about the loading screen bug though? do you know if deleting the game data will at least fix it since right now i have an unplayable game? thanks in advance.

I've seen one or two on Inspmniacs site report similar problems in MP, so it's possible they are the same bug. I'd recommend passing the info Long to Tim Salvitti (known as Vitti on Insomniacs site) if this doesn't work for you. He may be able to help.

Another option would be loading up the check point just before that one and seeing if that works out for you.

patsu

Yea, that's a retarded OS level bug that doesn't agree with how IG installed their game data. Unfortunately, you have to let it delete for nearly an hour.

Hey, do you have more details ? Is the system trying to defrag the HDD after deleting every R3 gamedata file due to some edge conditions ?

MrPliskin

Banned
Hey, do you have more details ? Is the system trying to defrag the HDD after deleting every R3 gamedata file due to some edge conditions ?

I don't, unfortunately. I believe it was James who relayed that it is a system level bug that prevents a smooth deletion of game data. All 4 1 suffers from a similar issue. I can't imagine what would cause it to happen though.

Maybe this becomes shittier further on. But I'm blown away how amazing this game is, especially after the atrocious Resistance 2. I got R3 for my birthday and have been forcing myself to get through R2 so I can finally try out R3... it took me 2 months and it was hard. But wow, this game is great! The first couple hours at least, make R2 look like an N64 game.

JB1981

Whatever you do don't shut off ps3 while file is deleting. Just let it delete.. It will eventually delete after and hour or so

.la1n

Maybe this becomes shittier further on. But I'm blown away how amazing this game is, especially after the atrocious Resistance 2. I got R3 for my birthday and have been forcing myself to get through R2 so I can finally try out R3... it took me 2 months and it was hard. But wow, this game is great! The first couple hours at least, make R2 look like an N64 game.

If you loved R1 then have no fear.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The way I see it is that all games below 1080p are sub-HD on my TV so I'm not gonna harp on Resistance 3 for that.

It's flawless marriage of post-process filters with the art direction is much more significant.

Just finished this up today, absolutely loved it, ny far the best in the series, caught me by surprise, Im a sucker for the whole War of the Worlds, resistance thing, this game did a great job, good stuff.

Just finished this up today, absolutely loved it, ny far the best in the series, caught me by surprise, Im a sucker for the whole War of the Worlds, resistance thing, this game did a great job, good stuff.

Yeah. The beginning of the game with you
underground, seeing the Chimera through the planks of wood
felt a lot like War of the Worlds, which I enjoyed a lot.

Angelcurio

I've seen one or two on Inspmniacs site report similar problems in MP, so it's possible they are the same bug. I'd recommend passing the info Long to Tim Salvitti (known as Vitti on Insomniacs site) if this doesn't work for you. He may be able to help.

Another option would be loading up the check point just before that one and seeing if that works out for you.

Whatever you do don't shut off ps3 while file is deleting. Just let it delete.. It will eventually delete after and hour or so

As you said, i waited for an hour, and the data was finally deleted. I reinserted the disc, reinstalled the game data and downloaded the patch, but the problem still persist. Now i have an unplayable game. I should have tried to play it without the patch first, just to see if the problem is caused by the patch, but i don't want to left my console idle for an hour once again deleting the game data.

I'll try contact Vitti on the Insomniacs site as you said MrPliskin, to see if he can offer any help with this bug. Also, James, if you can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Finished the campaign last night. It's ok. Has it's moments like some of the chase parts and the final level which looks great, a throwback to the original. Strangely the bits I enjoyed most were the none shooting parts. But on the whole it was a bit average. I really disliked the Grimm parts on this one, mainly due to the fact you were overrun by them everytime, so they weren't fun parts. I ended up just running through the mining section to get past it as quick as possible.

The boss parts were pretty cool though and some of the new weapons were great, though wasn't so keen on the
freeze gun

Really disappointed there's no multiplayer co-op mode like in the 2nd one. That was probably the saving grace for 2 and was very addictive. So not happy that has been taken out. Multiplayer graphically takes a serious nose dive but I have to say, it must be the best start I've ever made in a multiplayer game. I'm usually dying more than kills but one of my first time games last night I came top in team deathmatch, and that was with players with 20+ levels.

I'm pleased I only bought it for £15 and waited. It was probably worth the buy but TBH the series has never been that great past the original. I think the story potentially could be great but the game never seems to raise to that level.

Dibbz

Been playing some multiplayer yesterday. Matchmaking is massively improved since I last played it. Bunching the objective game modes into one has really helped find games of CTF and Chain Reaction. It also seems that rooms do fill up rather quick even if it starts unbalanced.

Shot some footage of me playing TDM on Creek. Nothing special but my god that map looks god damn amazing.

iZDGwHv2TfwE7.gif

http://youtu.be/mk-w9wfawGc?hd=1

Creek is easily the best map and I have only played it twice...

too bad the smaller maps never show up, because something like Motoryard (or whatever that prison stage was) would be better than lets say Prison, even in 8v8

Dibbz

Motoryard is not available in TDM from what I've played. I'm sure there are a few others that are designed for small deathmatches only.

How is the DLC? Is it easy to get into Invasion games?

Motoryard is not available in TDM from what I've played. I'm sure there are a few others that are designed for small deathmatches only.

Yeah, I meant that no-one and by no-one I mean NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS WORLD plays small deathmatches so that pretty much eliminates any chance of getting to play those online without arranging the matches by yourself :p

Dibbz

Oh that sucks. I only played that map a few times but that was when the game first came out. I think there was a new Deathmatch map the came with the Creek update but I'm not sure. I'll check it out tonight.

MrPliskin

Banned
Oh that sucks. I only played that map a few times but that was when the game first came out. I think there was a new Deathmatch map the came with the Creek update but I'm not sure. I'll check it out tonight.

There was a new map (Granary) that came with Creek, along side a new map just released not long ago (Bunker).

You guy's should check out the Game of the Week play list on Insomniac's community forum.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=58590.0

If one of the smaller play lists wins out, we'll have the opportunity to play some of the new unique maps, as well as enjoy some custom rules (hopefully without turrets and wildfires!).

I haven't played in two weeks or so, plan to hit it pretty heavily tonight, start on my 3rd Remnant.

Himself

Wow, that Creek map looks cool and I don't remember ever playing it. Was it released as a free map at some point? Or is it only available in deathmatch or something?

Edit: Nevermind. Just read the few posts above...heh...

MrPliskin

Banned
I doesn't help matters that Creek wasn't available for a few weeks because of a server side error, lol. It's an awesome map for sure though!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Some free stuff in today's US PSN Store update.

Resistance 3 The Legacy Grenade (free)
The No. 60 Air Fuel Grenade has been issued for combating Chimera in tight spaces commonly found in urban conflicts. The grenade will adhere to almost any surface, biological or otherwise, and deployed a cloud of flammable vapor. Once released, the cloud ignited, creating a massive explosion.” This fan favorite grenade makes a special return to the single-player campaign of Resistance 3

Resistance 3 SPRA Black Ops Skin (free)
The backbone of the US effort against the Chimera during the war, Black Ops troops were a common site at SRPA facilities and during special operations. Mostly killed and destroyed, this special multiplayer skin lets you return as one of the most mysterious soldiers from R:FOM and R2.

Resistance 3 Infected Nathan Hale Skin and Taunt (free)
Lt. Nathan Hale skipped his viral inhibitor treatments in the final hours of Resistance 2, in order to continue the fight against the Chimera. Play as him in his final hours with this special multiplayer skin, letting you bring Hale to the battlefields R3. Then, ridicule your enemies with a throat-slashing taunt!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Some free stuff in today's US PSN Store update.

Resistance 3 The Legacy Grenade (free)
The No. 60 Air Fuel Grenade has been issued for combating Chimera in tight spaces commonly found in urban conflicts. The grenade will adhere to almost any surface, biological or otherwise, and deployed a cloud of flammable vapor. Once released, the cloud ignited, creating a massive explosion.” This fan favorite grenade makes a special return to the single-player campaign of Resistance 3

Resistance 3 SPRA Black Ops Skin (free)
The backbone of the US effort against the Chimera during the war, Black Ops troops were a common site at SRPA facilities and during special operations. Mostly killed and destroyed, this special multiplayer skin lets you return as one of the most mysterious soldiers from R:FOM and R2.

Resistance 3 Infected Nathan Hale Skin and Taunt (free)
Lt. Nathan Hale skipped his viral inhibitor treatments in the final hours of Resistance 2, in order to continue the fight against the Chimera. Play as him in his final hours with this special multiplayer skin, letting you bring Hale to the battlefields R3. Then, ridicule your enemies with a throat-slashing taunt!

Sweet. I need to download these and check out MP again. It's been a while and I want to check out the new maps. I need to replay the game too now that I have a new TV.

mollipen

I really, really like this game. I was big into R2's multiplayer, but I just love this game so much more. The guns feel better, I like the way berserks work, and man... these maps. With R2, there were maps I kinda sorta liked, and others I tolerated. With R3, I genuinely like every single map I've played so far, and so many of them are just so damn appealing visually. (Doesn't hurt that I like weather/seasons, so having snowy maps and Autumn-eqsue maps are great.)

Just, MAN, why did they neuter multiplayer by making it quick match-only. UGH. Sucks, sucks, sucks. I've found a Game of the Week match once, and I won't be surprised if I never do again. Small deathmatch? Hah, good luck. Thankfully I mostly care about TD, and usually that's lively enough, but in R2 I'd just bring up the server browser, pick a room, and be in a game in seconds. Here, I feel like every time I search for a game I have to say a prayer in hopes I'll actually find something.

R3 is going for $30 on Amazon right now. Is there any special reason for this?

I'm thinking of purchasing a copy, as I'm only renting it right now, but I won't be able to afford until I'm paid this Friday.

Himself

I think it's time to hop back into multiplayer with all the free shit Insomniac's been dishing out. I'm not really a fan of FPS MP, but I had some fun with this one.

I really hope there is a Resistance 4...this game is so damn good.

MrPliskin

Banned
Well, Game of the Week is getting killed of due to a lack of participation (grrrrr) and they are going to consolidate the playlists some more. Will be interesting to see what they have planned for the future.

Top Bottom