• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

MrPliskin

Banned
Has anyone else seen the news that Ted Price says that they won't be doing any more Resistance games? I guess I'm not surprised, but I am sad. Won't miss what has become of the multiplayer but I thought the single player in R3 was amazing.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/insomniac-resistance

Yea, there's a thread for it on GAF, lol. It's sad, but I guess that's just the way it is when your game doesn't sell well. I don't blame them, and hope that Overstrike is a successful endeavor.

That said, anyone in this thread who still plays Multi absolutely NEEDS to go to www.insomniacgames.com and post on the "Balance 2.0" thread. The game is in need of some serious tweeks, but IG won't do it unless there is a lot of support for it. All of the ideas are good ones that could help the game considerably, but without substantial support, it'll be dead in the water.

MrPliskin

Banned
Sorry for the double post.

I'm done with MP in this game. It's just turned to utter shit (more so than before). All you have now is a group of people who have banded together and break the game. It's mouth breathers who literally use broken abilities together, break all the game types, and stat pad. I'll still sing it's praises for SP, but the MP is throw away, if you buy it, don't even bother playing it. It's never getting fixed (since the community won't post) and it will forever cater to these shit bags who ruin the game.

Awesome.

Tokubetsu

I'm done with MP in this game. It's just turned to utter shit (more so than before). All you have now is a group of people who have banded together and break the game. It's mouth breathers who literally use broken abilities together, break all the game types, and stat pad. I'll still sing it's praises for SP, but the MP is throw away, if you buy it, don't even bother playing it. It's never getting fixed (since the community won't post) and it will forever cater to these shit bags who ruin the game.

Awesome.

What abilities?

MrPliskin

Banned
What abilities?

The default set up to break the game with two or more people is as follows:

Atomizer / Wildfire + Ammo Beacon + Turret + Demolitions + Grenadier

Using this, you basically become a walking tank. All of your grenades are a 1 hit kill. Wildfire? 1HK secondary, 2HK primary (rather, 80% damage primary). Turret if you don't manage to kill them, drop it before you die for a free kill. Ammo beacon will keep your grenades stocked CONSTANTLY and you'll never run out of wild fire ammo.

In a nutshell, you'll be able to pin down the opposing team, spawn camp them, and get a ridiculous amount of kills while doing next to nothing. Insomniac isn't going to fix any of this unless they get "significant feedback". The current balance threads on MyRes and IG.com have less than 30 replies combined. It's not getting fixed.

Dibbz

Yeah I agree there are some really big problems with the MP. The weapons and abilities are not balanced at all. Not even going to mention the killstreaks.

Saying that I do enjoy playing it in short bursts now and again but it's a shame they didn't learn much on MP from the disaster that was R2.

I had this problem to along with a few others. Doesn't seem like it's ever getting fixed.

It really became a push to finish the campaign because of it. The whole audio track just runs out of sync and I couldn't ignore it. It's totally breaks any immersion you would (should) have had. The fact that it's still like this 4 months later is unforgivable. Poor showing, Insomniac.

Awesome.

Not that I would go "told you so" but... told you so. For me it was like that since day 1.

This game wont even load, wtf is going on? Shows the move warnings and what not and then I just get the skull flashing off and on. Have tried restarting, waited like 10 mins on the same screen. Anyone else have this problem? When I go to quit the game from that loading menu the ps3 seems to freeze, beeps 3 times and then completely resets.

Tokubetsu

http://www.myresistance.net/community/index.php?topic=10214.0
We have looked into balance tweaks for the most talked about things. Some things were not possible to change, but we did make tweaks to quite a few things. Here is the list of what we changed. We will bring the servers down around around 5pm (PST) on 2/9 to update. You will be booted if you are playing at that time. Should take no more than 15 mins. We will see how things go after these go live and determine what more we can/will do. Thanks for the feedback.

Ammo Beacon Tweaks - Reduce ammo-regeneration rate on Ammo Beacon. Currently, grenades regenerate too quickly. Users can throw between 10 and 11 grenades with a single Ammo-Becon.
Added 2 more seconds between grenade regenerations, and added 1 second to clip regeneration

Grenade Damage - Reduced grenade damage. At present, they are very powerful to begin with, and demolitions further puts them over the edge. Shrapnel and Molotov grenades become especially deadly when coupled with the ammo beacon and demolitions.
Reduced frag grenade damage slightly, this will be a big change since now they won’t one hit fresh players. Also upped frag grenade damage vs deployables, now deals more damage to deployables

Turret - Either an increase in deployment time after initiating the ability (unlikely w/out patch) or a considerably increased cool down time. Also, if possible, further health reduction. Talk to the team, but most of the community here (and online) believe that turrets take too much damage. A shrapnel grenade should dispose of a turret, no question. There is a risk vs reward here, use your grenade to dispose of the turret, or use it to take out an enemy? Also, look at potentially reducing the effective range of a turret very moderately.
Increased deploy time slightly and reduced health. So a single frag won’t one shot a turret, but with the increased deploy time they should be much easier to deal with.

Atomizer - Further tweaks are desired by the community (here and on MyRes). Dash, Scan Jammer, Assassin, and Bubble Shield negate the range disadvantage, and the weapon has the added benefit of requiring very little aim. Because of its killspeed and auto-aim, it should be a weapon that requires more finesse to use, rather than a pick up and slaughter weapon. Not a serious nerf, mind you. I'd recommend reducing damage by no more than 8 to 10 percent, at most.
Not much we can do here really, reduced clip capacity by 10 ammo and increased reload time from 2.25 to 2.5, idea here is that you will have to be more careful with your ammo usage or else get stuck in reload.

Bullseye - Increase wait period between successful tag and subsequent tracer rounds. Enemies should have the opportunity to react to a tag accordingly (since they do pretty decent damage themselves). I'd suggest an additional half second delay (not much, but it goes a long way).
Upped time you can start firing after a tag, the idea here is that you should have to take a slight risk when firing the tag, not just firing it and waiting around for the lock, we don’t want it to start feeling laggy, where you land a tag but it doesn’t lock on for another second.

Shotgun - Most people seem to take issue with the fire than they do with the Shotgun's power or range. Can fire damage be reduced here? Or duration?
Reduced fire status. We can see if this helps with fire damage.

Killstreaks - Reduce damage for Auger. As it is, the weapon fires through walls and has shields. Reducing the damage it does will *potentially* reduce the guarantee for Mutate once the Auger is earned. Similarly, I would suggest reducing the fire rate of the Mutate killstreak. This can help teams successfully coordinate to take down threats and escape if spawn trapped.
Auger damage reduced, so it takes 5 hits to kill instead of 4

Wildfire - Reduce damage (or specifically, splash damage). It has a lock on feature, and should be used in that way, specifically. I would suggest speeding up lock-on time marginally, and reducing splash damage. At present the weapon has very little risk, and very high reward. Users can drop an ammo beacon and fire rounds aimlessly and get kills from splash damage (particularly when spawn trapping). Reducing splash damage would make the weapon less effective in this instance, and improve a teams chance for escape.
Reduced damage radius slightly.

We never did get that gaf game together...

Edgeward

Just beat it. Outside of the sniper valley sections and the prison section, the campaign is incredible.Really impressed with it. The end game was a let down but the ending sequence was amazing. Even if I was questioning how I'm able to keep firing my gun without reloading. You get to New York the odds seem freaking impossible considering how much shit gets thrown at you but man when you conquer each of them, you feel so relived.

This was my first Resistance game outside of Retribution and I'm left incredibly surprised at how good it was.

Audioboxer

This is a little naughty, so forgive :( My fiancee picked me up a copy of R3 from Blockbuster for £9 thinking she was doing well, but it obviously needs an online pass.

Does anyone have a spare one? I can throw a couple of pound your way. With everything I've blown on my Vita that's arriving tomorrow money is tight.

I'm going to enjoy the SP first anyway.

Skidd

Single Player should keep you occupied for quite a while if it really clicks with you. I wouldn't worry about getting the online pass immediately.

Audioboxer

Single Player should keep you occupied for quite a while if it really clicks with you. I wouldn't worry about getting the online pass immediately.

The start of the game is definitely a winner for me. FEELS leaps and bounds over Resistance 2 which I did not like.

SlickVic

Just finished this up. Really enjoyed the first 16 or so chapters. R3 really sells the desolate atmosphere and I love the environments they crafted up for most of the story. However, the game did fall apart for me a bit in those final 4 chapters. While there certainly are some nice moments in the final act (
the cutscene once you get there is great and seeing the massive group of Chimera trying to take down that Widowmaker at Times Square was pretty cool
), I just felt too much of the game at that point was running around spaceships and other alien tech taking on waves of chimera. It isn't overwhelming so much as it just ends up feeling boring, as I can't help but feel that atmosphere I liked throughout the game was gone. I'm not sure how much I'd say Insomniac did a bad job creating these environments, but it didn't click with me, and reminded me of a lot of other FPS's I've played in the past and never really cared much for.

But to avoid sounding too negative about a game I really liked, I have to say the weapon variety is fantastic and carves out a nice niche for the R3 in midst of the huge volume of FPS's made these days. I love how they all have secondary fires to make the usual flavor of weapons (SMG's, shotguns, etc.) feel a bit more unique. It was also great Insomniac didn't decide to arbitrarily limit you to 2 weapons at a time, and gave the option to switch between weapons as much as you want.

Torraz

Just got the game.

1.) How playable is this without having played Resistance 1 and 2? Should I read a plot synposis somehwere?

2.) Dualshock or Move as controller?

U2NUMB

Just got the game.

1.) How playable is this without having played Resistance 1 and 2? Should I read a plot synposis somehwere?

I never finished 1 or 2 but really enjoyed 3. It is not really in the same line of 1 and 2. You will not have any issues enjoying it.

I played with my 360 controller via XCM but have heard that the move setup is solid.

Torraz

I never finished 1 or 2 but really enjoyed 3. It is not really in the same line of 1 and 2. You will not have any issues enjoying it.

I played with my 360 controller via XCM but have heard that the move setup is solid.

Ah, I totally forgot my XCM adapter. Forgot to plug it in after moving the console to another room - and frequently using the 360 controller with my PC ;). Thanks for the reminder ;).

MrPliskin

Banned
Just got the game.

Move isn't bad, but sprinting and jumping can be an issue. Both are solid.

For story, just read the general plot stuff from a Wiki I guess, but R3 stands on its own very well and gives you a basic rundown at the beginning.

So I finally got around to reading A hole in the Sky. It's an ok book. Like Resistance 3 it doesn't answer any questions regarding all the things R2 put in place like the planets or pure chimera. It's mainly just Cappelli's trek to Haven and his relationship with Susan. It also develops more on R3's idea that humans are just as big a threat to themselves as the chimera are. One thing the book does spend time on that R3 never mentions is that the government still does exist and Dietz leaves that subplot open for any future novels.

I know Dietz is working on Burning Skies with Nilhilistic. So I'd like to know just how much back and forth Insomniac had with Dietz on the book. Was he given any guidelines or was he free to write whatever he wanted?

BPK

How scary is this game? My tolerance for survival horror stuff is pretty low and I don't enjoy being freaked out every second. I got the game in Canada for $10 but I'm debating whether to open it...

Loudninja

How scary is this game? My tolerance for survival horror stuff is pretty low and I don't enjoy being freaked out every second. I got the game in Canada for $10 but I'm debating whether to open it...
Well its not really scary but some stuff will creep you out.

But than again I am not sure what is consider scary to you :p

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Posted in the other topic, but I guess maybe this one is more fitting even if a little dead, lol.

Finished it just now, that last city area and following was iffy, I enjoyed it up to the
prison levels, but New York, it felt like they couldn't think of anything to do story wise and just threw in a bunch of areas with monsters without actually progressing the story at all.

The ending was, well, barely there,
it felt like they just wanted to get the series over with so just ended it, there we go, Chimera dealt with problem solved, here you go Sony do what you want with the license now and as such any future games will seemingly always take place in this section of the lore.

I was utterly disappointed that they didn't go anywhere with it, no alluding to any future with the series, that end section I was fully expecting
a "pure" chimera to appear.
They mention them in R2 and R3 with the fossil of one in the mountains, along with the race that fought them in the journals and the point of R3 was
shutting down the portal between where the chimera came from
yet nothing happen, seemed like a story element they shoved in and never developed or had bigger plans but decided as the series wasn't popular enough to just put a full stop there.

Still, it was a good game, it is a real shame in many ways looking at both R2 and R3 that it took them to the third game to get certain qualities out of the series while throwing away a lot of what they did in R2, that co-op mode was good fun with friends.

Tokubetsu

I might be the only one but I really liked the
prison
bits. It's everything after that seemed a bit lazy to me. I'm not too hard on it though, game feels like it was sent to die so I wouldn't be surprised if they ran out of budget to end it properly.

well, I bought this game dirt cheap and finished it in ONE sitting.

final review is around a 7.5/10

I really enjoyed the visuals, (the faded americana thing isn't so apparent in this) and I think that if this was R2, we would have a sequel. That game killed the franchise imo; 3 had the right visuals after 2's all around shittiness. I wonder how they upped their tech? 2 was so bad looking and this one was amazing; even with the fuzziness (maybe even because it was fuzzy looking). Anytime you went into the grims nest, its was just scary looking. even a bit cinema verite? Looking at it, I wonder how much killzone/guerilla helped them with the visuals - it really was a massive leap up (again resolution aside)

Game was also mostly fun to play. Played it on normal, cool weapons and the detour off to garterstone and the morpher gun was great. Them killing off the old guy was also quite great in terms of wtf are they doing? That whole bit in the prison fighting humans was satisfying. Mostly becasue of how strange and OT it felt. I liked it. and NO ridiculous boss fight. didn't need it. and so they didn't do one. I didn't mind the abscence of a "boss thing"

They really nailed the auger in this one; wasn't the biggest fan in 1+2 but here they nailed it

I also appreciated that the no. of kill everyone to complete rooms are limited in this. That final room, the trick to get through was kind of to concentrate on shooting the machine out, aliens be damned.

Its a pity 2 probably ruined people wanting to give 3 a go (me). I was constantly suprised at how good this one was (mostly).

There were many 1 too many lengthy sequences where you're running from A-->B with cool shit happening on screen that didn't do anything but look cool.

I had fun. RIP Resistance franchise.

and oh,

3>1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2

Okay, I'm LTTP on the whole franchise, but I just picked up a $10 copy of R3, and I'm ready to jump in. I kind of want to want to play the others first, though. To clarify the chronology, do the PSP and Vita games take place between 1 & 2? And what about the novels and the comic book?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Okay, I'm LTTP on the whole franchise, but I just picked up a $10 copy of R3, and I'm ready to jump in. I kind of want to want to play the others first, though. To clarify the chronology, do the PSP and Vita games take place between 1 & 2? And what about the novels and the comic book?

Some of the comics take place before RFOM.

There is also the whole Project Abraham story arc which takes place prior to RFOM (and the RFOMgame timeline website).

Then it's RFOM.

I believe then you get the B-story from the Comics, along with Retribution.

The first novel (Gathering Storm)

Resistance 2 and Burning Skies both take place during invasion.

Resistance A Hole in the Sky

Then finally Resistance 3.

Is R3 widely known as being somewhat buggy?

I've encountered 3 bugs where I had to restart the game each time and they were all quite early on. This all happened in co-op, mind you. Co-op partner got stuck in a ladder a few times and another time a door would not trigger to be o"penable" when it should have, trapping us in the level.

Thanks, J!

It appears that none of the games are available digitally except the Vita game. That's a bummer, especially for the PSP game, which I guess I'll actually have to dust off my PSP for?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thanks, J!

It appears that none of the games are available digitally except the Vita game. That's a bummer, especially for the PSP game, which I guess I'll actually have to dust off my PSP for?

don't know on the Vita / PSP front. We didn't develop.

R2 and R3 are both dual layer games so that's why, and RFOM is ancient before digital games happened (R2 is on the edge of that time as well, but again size issues).

You could easily play R3 first though if you wanted, you'll probably get lots of different opinions on how to do it

Ah I didn't realize you're one of the devs, cool! I've tried to tread lightly in this and the other threads to avoid spoilage. And no biggie on the DD. It won't be tough to track down any of them. In fact, I may just go grab a greatest hits RFOM later today on Amazon or something. I'd definitely rather get the whole experience in order. I actually don't know a lot about Resistance, just that it's an FPS set in the 50's, and that I always meant to get around to it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ah I didn't realize you're one of the devs, cool! I've tried to tread lightly in this and the other threads to avoid spoilage. And no biggie on the DD. It won't be tough to track down any of them. In fact, I may just go grab a greatest hits RFOM later today on Amazon or something. I'd definitely rather get the whole experience in order. I actually don't know a lot about Resistance, just that it's an FPS set in the 50's, and that I always meant to get around to it.

there is a dual pack of both RFOM/R2 that comes with all DLC/skins/extras too.

Field

Sorry for maybe dumb question. But is it worth downloading the patches if I'm only going to play single player? It will probably take couple of hours to download for me.

Top Bottom