• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Hit it hard last night, got up to level 10 already. I got my aim back (partly); I just need to change how I play. You can't run and gun like you did in Rfom, unfortunately you need those iron sites. Love it so far. Wanted to ask...is it only team based? Is there a FFA DM in the retail game?

Loudninja

BobTheFork said:
Hit it hard last night, got up to level 10 already. I got my aim back (partly); I just need to change how I play. You can't run and gun like you did in Rfom, unfortunately you need those iron sites. Love it so far. Wanted to ask...is it only team based? Is there a FFA DM in the retail game?
Hmmm I use the iron sights very rarely, the vast majority of my kills is from hip fire. Yes the game has DM. :)

Shtof

No Move support = no playing. The graphics look special, great while moving but pretty bad if you take a close look, a lot like Motorstorm. The blur reminds me of Killzone 2, which I know can give me a headache. I also feel the framerate is a little lacking, which will probably be non-existant in SP. Resistance 2 was pretty smooth, and so were rfom. Think I'm gonna buy it at launch, just hope they get the Move part right, like Killzone 3. That game implemented Move in such a great way.

.la1n

jstevenson said:
That's weird - we've put out a ton of video captures from the game.

My apologies I had forgotten about the fairly lengthy footage I saw of the SP campaign, it's been awhile and my job drains brain cells daily. Since I do not have the best PC in the world it's hard for me to ever see any of the game play in HD which is the only way I can truly judge. No worries though, the game is bought just based on word of mouth. I am by no means a graphic snob, I just really liked the clean look of the first one and the weather / vehicles.

KingK

I'm loving all the talk about how bleak/depressing the game's mood is. That and the overall atmosphere of R2 was my biggest disappointment with that game. Fall of Man had such a grim, gritty, and dark atmosphere that I felt was completely different in R2. Everything I've seen of R3 looks to move things back in the right direction though.

Himself

Shtof said:
No Move support = no playing. The graphics look special, great while moving but pretty bad if you take a close look, a lot like Motorstorm. The blur reminds me of Killzone 2, which I know can give me a headache. I also feel the framerate is a little lacking, which will probably be non-existant in SP. Resistance 2 was pretty smooth, and so were rfom. Think I'm gonna buy it at launch, just hope they get the Move part right, like Killzone 3. That game implemented Move in such a great way.

I thought it did have Move support?

Radec

Playing the beta righgt now..

Damn, the game feels much much better now than what I played 2 weeks ago.

Can't wait for the whole package!

Great job Insomniac.

Shtof said:
The special edition comes with move, of course it supports it.

Cornbread78

patsu said:
Heh heh, I played against 3 of you at first because I joined late. Get to see how well I fare going up against Gaffers. ^_^

Also played against Cornbread78. He's in clan 501. Unfortunately wife needed to talk, so our encounter was spotty and short.

Yeah, too bad you guys couldn't stick around and jump onto our team. We was having a ball. I think I was 14-2 when you jumped in, probably my best game of the night, I'm usually a little above even.

Actually, in that room, there were untagged guys in there that used to be in a notorious R1 clan, that was really good, sk8rman, Squall, Kimmono, etc. They pretty much ruled the R1 world before half of them moved over to oNO. I wish I could remember the name of their clan, they were the clan everyone tried out for, lol basically 2.0, 3.0+ k/d to get in, lol.

I was going to jump in with pwn, but it was already 12:30 or so and I had to get up at 5:45, lol. yeah, thanks JStev, you created another game that will take away my sleep time! aarrgghh

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ugh, don't buy the prequel novel, whatever you do. Just poorly written all around:
Hale's sister randomly meets up with Capelli, saves him from a Chimera, and then has no real problem with the fact that he shot her brother. Seriously, she pulls a gun on him and then puts it away and they have tea. Not kidding! Just awful writing.

I've gotten used to game novels that don't entirely suck (the Deus Ex, Gears, and Dead Space novels are competently written and don't feel like fanfic), but I don't know why I expected anything better from Dietz. Hopefully he wasn't involved in writing the script for the game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BobTheFork said:

yeah, we have FFA in the final game

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If were doing a QnA....

1) How many skins in the final game?
2) Has the jump height been increased?
3) INSOMNIAC WHY U DONT RELEASE IT NAO?!

So hyped for the SP.

Cornbread78

Fersis said:
If were doing a QnA....

1) How many skins in the final game?
2) Has the jump height been increased?
3) INSOMNIAC WHY U DONT RELEASE IT NAO?!

So hyped for the SP.

I swear he hates me, lol. I ask a lot of questions, but he is all full of secrets :.. (

Achtius

Now I remember why I like resistance so much, MARKSMAN :D

but the match making system is kinda bad. Especially when it allows you to switch them. Was on a team with 8 players, whereas the other team have 2.

patsu

Cornbread78 said:
Yeah, too bad you guys couldn't stick around and jump onto our team. We was having a ball. I think I was 14-2 when you jumped in, probably my best game of the night, I'm usually a little above even.

Actually, in that room, there were untagged guys in there that used to be in a notorious R1 clan, that was really good, sk8rman, Squall, Kimmono, etc. They pretty much ruled the R1 world before half of them moved over to oNO. I wish I could remember the name of their clan, they were the clan everyone tried out for, lol basically 2.0, 3.0+ k/d to get in, lol.

I was going to jump in with pwn, but it was already 12:30 or so and I had to get up at 5:45, lol. yeah, thanks JStev, you created another game that will take away my sleep time! aarrgghh

Yes, yes. Some of the nicks raised all kinds of alarm in my mind. ^_^
I was sure I saw them in RFOM before, and they were deadly.

patsu

BobTheFork said:

I joined your game but had to go after one round. Your crowd were pretty tough. They are strong and some group together. Had to pull out all the stops to break 1.0 K/D last minute.

That means setting up the turret and healing perk together, and flanking enemies by sprinting one big round until I get behind the whole lot of them. ^_^

darkwing

patsu said:
I joined your game but had to go after one round. Your crowd was pretty tough. They are strong and some group together. Had to pull out all the stops to break 1.0 K/D last minute.

That means setting up the turret and healing perk together, and flanking enemies by sprinting one big round until I get behind the whole lot of them. ^_^

yup flanking is deadly in this game

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Achtius said:
Now I remember why I like resistance so much, MARKSMAN :D

but the match making system is kinda bad. Especially when it allows you to switch them. Was on a team with 8 players, whereas the other team have 2.

yeah, we have an unforseen side effect with a change to matchmaking plus the influx of players, we're looking to address. know some folks are getting games that don't quite fill up

patsu said:
I joined your game but had to go after one round. Your crowd were pretty tough. They are strong and some group together. Had to pull out all the stops to break 1.0 K/D last minute.

Yeah I saw you in for a little bit. You did better than I did that game. I was killing it the next game and looked to see if you are still there so I could gloat lol. The best small strategy is to pop an upgraded ammo beacon right in the trafic area so people can just ammo dump. I killed 5 guys last night while in sights just firing accross the firing lane.

edit: I used the marksman for the first time. It felt like cheating lol. I upped the scope and then just nailed people on the covered bridge. That thing is a killbox.

patsu

Ha ha, when I joined you were at level 5. I don't know how you could survive against those Atomizer wielding level 30 dudes. The weaker ones (still pretty strong) bunch together to defend a compound. I was actually pretty impressed by your score. Was wondering how you did it. Then I remember you always outscored me anyway. ^_^

I was under 1.0 for most of my game until the last 30 seconds when I got behind the compound and surprised them. They were distracted by someone in the front yard. And for Pete's sake, I had auto-healing and turret perks to help me !

Jubs

Are there vehicle sections in the sp? Spoiler tag it, if you want, I just want to know. I loved the vehicle stuff in the first game.

patsu said:
Ha ha, when I joined you were at level 5. I don't know how you could survive against those Atomizer wielding level 30 dudes. The weaker ones (still pretty strong) bunch together to defend a compound. I was actually pretty impressed by your score. Was wondering how you did it. Then I remember you always outscored me anyway. ^_^

I was under 1.0 for most of my game until the last 30 seconds when I got behind the compound and surprised them. They were distracted by someone in the front yard. And for Pete's sake, I had auto-healing and turret perks to help me !
I'll say one thing. I feel the difference in levels much more so than other shooters I've played that do that. Once I got a custom loadout, it got better. We had 3-4 less people in one of those next rounds but we held up in a house and put ammo beacon s everywhere. We kept regenerating grenades and turrets so it was brutal. They just kept dying against as they tried to rush in. They never got any kill streaks to put up sheilds with lol.

McLovin

Can't wait, I got to be honest I was only so so enjoying the beta until I started upgrading. After I umpgraded my guns it turned into a completely different game. <3 level 3 shotgun :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
J_incredible said:

Insomniac Games just keeps making them bigger.
From best to worst:

FoM -> I8 -> 3 -> 2

Pikma

Banned
I'm finally back today, I didn't play the beta yesterday, but today will we different, hope to see you there, guys :3

patsu

BobTheFork said:
I'll say one thing. I feel the difference in levels much more so than other shooters I've played that do that.

Yap ! That's why I want to try out the no perks mode. ^_^

Question: Why would the US Army Discharge ANYONE at this point? WTF? They need every capable man and woman they can get their hands on.

dralla

Is it me or is the Carbine worthless? I see no reason to use it over the Bullseye. The BE is plenty accurate in mid-range even though it's supposed to be the "SMG" type weapon. Spawning with maxed out BE and Rossmore is insane. I finished 50-8 earlier, it almost feels like cheating.

patsu

Round 1:
BobTheFork + MarksMan vs Dralla + BullsEye

Both men think that their weapon of choice makes them feel like cheating. :)

EDIT: Dralla, I don't like Carbine also. Loudninja seems to like it.

KingK

dralla said:
Is it me or is the Carbine worthless? I see no reason to use it over the Bullseye. The BE is plenty accurate in mid-range even though it's supposed to be the "SMG" type weapon. Spawning with maxed out BE and Rossmore is insane. I finished 50-8 earlier, it almost feels like cheating.

Idk, the secondary fire of the Carbine can be pretty deadly in a pinch. Plus, it looks like you can unlock a bayonet attachment (I'm guessing one hit kill melee attacks). Although I still prefer the bullseye.

Speaking of the Beta, I just played my first few matches today. I was really impressed (other than the matchmaking being shit. I'm guessing this is a bug they're working on). It's really fun, and I was the highest scoring player on my team in my first match (although we lost by a lot, lol).

Depending on how I like the single player demo, I might get this game on release.

Also, my roommate saw me playing the beta and started asking what game it was. He's never played Resistance. I might see if he wants to play through Fall of Man co-op, because it's been a while since I've played that (amazing) game. Seeing the pic of the FoM widomaker reminded me of how awesome that fight was.

Mulligan

Banned
Okay, the campaign is sooo good. The atmosphere from FOM is back and then some.. the graphics are superb and everything so far is just.. wow. This is coming from someone who isn't a great fan of the series, but this, this is shaping up to be my favourite FPS this gen or atleast one of them. Bravo Insomniac, your R2 shortcomings are more than forgiven.

Top Bottom