• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO: a video gaming magazine Kickstarter. (Parish, Seanbaby, Green, Kohler, etc)

IrishNinja

Sounds interesting, Parish alone makes this worth considering... guy is one of the few game writers I actually follow and read everything he puts out. Love his analysis on level design in particular, even though we don't quite see eye to eye on the classic Ys games or Xenogears ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Sparkle of Chrontendo fame get a slot on here either...

have you read Parish's books? ive wanted to pick up the Castlevania ones but haven't had the $...

for Dr Sparkle though...dude's mad knowledgeable, but again, his anti-sega bias is just ridiculous for me & totally taints his historical perspective. i love him on chronturbo type stuff but can't take him serious on sega.

galvatron

Seanbaby...ugh. Am I going to have to endure more gay bashing jokes about things that are ""gay and "faggery" from him if I subscribe?

Crap like this: http://restofthecrap.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/200606a.jpg

Oh look, a joke about Phil Collins sucking men's dicks and Batman Forever being gay in the same column! a twofer!

It would be nice if I could say that kind of stuff was rare in Seanbaby's writing but it wasn't. Those columns he did for EGM were just copying Old Man Murray a decade late. At least the OMM guys had the excuse that "it was the 90's" and their douchebaggery isage of "fag this" and "fag that" was popular. It wasnt even cool any more by the time Seanbaby was doing it in the 2000s.

I always winced every time he was on a one up podcast cause I knew I'd be treated to someone making cheap jokes at the expense of my sexuality.

I like the rest of the cast, but I have a real problem with Seanbaby's sense of humor.

That sucks...I really liked some of his older stuff, but haven't kept up with him. He was the only writer that made me interested in this project, so I guess I'm out.

Bog

Junior Ace
Doesn't this already exist?

6PtlTXs.jpg

Why not just call it EGM? Or Playboy?

Seanbaby...ugh. Am I going to have to endure more gay bashing jokes about things that are ""gay and "faggery" from him if I subscribe?

Oh look, a joke about Phil Collins sucking men's dicks and Batman Forever being gay in the same column! a twofer!

It would be nice if I could say that kind of stuff was rare in Seanbaby's writing but it wasn't. Those columns he did for EGM were just copying Old Man Murray a decade late. At least the OMM guys had the excuse that "it was the 90's" and their douchebaggery isage of "fag this" and "fag that" was popular. It wasnt even cool any more by the time Seanbaby was doing it in the 2000s.

I always winced every time he was on a one up podcast cause I knew I'd be treated to someone making cheap jokes at the expense of my sexuality.

I like the rest of the cast, but I have a real problem with Seanbaby's sense of humor.
Seanbaby sounds like an insufferable dirtbag. You'd think they'd want to distance themselves from that kind of culture.

What do you expect from a grown man that calls himself "Seanbaby." Dude's a douche. Always has been.

IrishNinja

^isnt that Retro Gamer?

and Seanbaby, i used to enjoy his awful reviews of $1 PS1/2 games, plus he scared Uwe Boll so that was fun. it's unfortunate he's known for homophobic humor (i don't recall it offhand, but i believe the claim, it wasn't uncommon). since we don't even know what his exact contributions will be - or if he's still on that - why get overly discouraged right off the bat? a lotta the names here are professionals; if the clientele in 2013/14 doesn't want it to read like a '94 Game Players Magazine letter bag full of undead lizard warrior talk i'm sure it'll take shape into another direction.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

Here is a quick summary with additional information. We've had a few folks ask how they can help us spread the word. Give this a read and start spreading the RETRO!

Thanks again to all of you guys! We've had about $2,000 in backing come directly from NeoGAF.

ABOUT RETRO:

•RETRO Magazine is an upcoming independent print, digital and online publication dedicated to the past, present and future of the video gaming pastime that will harken back to the amazing magazines from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.
•RETRO will be offered in BOTH digital and print editions and published bi-monthly starting January 2014.
•Each issue will be a minimum of 52-pages, utilize a maximum of 4-pages of ads and will feature high quality gloss print and thick stock cover.
•ALL PRINT subscriptions will include the digital enhanced versions free!

HOW WE'RE GETTING OUR START:

•We're currently in the final 11 days of our Kickstarter campaign and need support from gamers everywhere to get things going:
◦http://kck.st/1a042KF
•Backers will receive the Premier Issue this December!

WHAT WE PLAN TO COVER:

•RETRO will feature coverage of games from every era, including classic gaming systems, current and next generation consoles and upcoming independently funded projects, with an emphasis on:
◦Extensive retrospectives on classic consoles and the games (and ill-fated add-ons) that made them famous.
◦RETRO reviews of classic games across countless genres.
◦Reviews of current generation products with a focus on franchise reboots, games with classic licensing tie-ins and modern games that build on 8, 16 and 32-bit gaming's core principles.
◦In-depth interviews with modern-day icons, our industry's founding fathers and up-and-coming developers of games with old-school sensibilities.
◦Roundtable discussions with some of gaming's most respected personalities, including RETRO's own panel of revered contributors.
◦Monthly "Top 10"-style features on the best games, consoles and moments in gaming history.
◦In-depth news regarding the latest reboots, industry icons getting back into the business, hot indie games and Kickstarter projects and a dash of current generation information
◦Lifestyle pieces on gaming gear, industry conventions, licensing tie-ins other entertainment mediums and other random nerdiness.
◦Columns from some of the industry's top journalists, developers and video game personalities.
◦Extensive guides on those titles you still never got around to beating.
◦Reader interaction and feedback via polls, reader mail, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.

KEY LINKS:

•KICKSTARTER: http://kck.st/1a042KF
•FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/ReadRetro
•TWITTER: http://twitter.com/ReadRetro

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

•Share our Kickstarter Campaign on social media feeds.
•Like our Facebook and Twitter pages.
•Mention us on your Podcast, Livestream or YouTube channels.
•Tell friends and industry friends to check us out.

•And of course, back us on Kickstarter. Every dollar helps us get one step closer to our goal!

- Mike Kennedy
Publisher | RETRO

IrishNinja

just cleared 34k (is there a side-hustle paypal fund like Mighty 9?), 10 days to go people! still feel pretty confident this will at least reach minimum but i'd love to see some stretch goals reached...

Vinnk

just cleared 34k (is there a side-hustle paypal fund like Mighty 9?), 10 days to go people! still feel pretty confident this will at least reach minimum but i'd love to see some stretch goals reached...

Yeah, more pages would be great. I really miss print game magazines.

I'm confused. Will Jeremy and crew actually work for and be involved in this magazine's creation, or will they just maybe be casually freelancing for it?

I miss the glory days of EGM and 1up.. Do you guys think this will be the intended resurrection of that?

What are Jeremy and all those guys doing right now?

I'd like to see them get backed. I miss the 90's-2000's era of EGM and would love to see some of the team get together and make a few new features. (Has RETRO reached out to Dan "Shoe" Hsu? I really miss Hsu and Chan... even if it only came back in a limited freelance capacity.)

Retro

You could have just sent me a PM about this instead of creating a new thread and flagging me down in all caps, you know.

Seriously though, I'm soooooo down with this. I miss getting physical gaming magazines, and whereas print cannot possibly keep up with current gaming news, a rag celebrating games that are already out is pretty much relevant forever. Pretty clever, playing on the nostalgia of both retro games and the act of reading a gaming magazine (which, let's face it, were irrelevant after the 90s).

All we need now is to load the magazine with outdated ads and come up with a fictional reviewer who's name ends in "X".

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Have any gaming blogs picked up on this? I feel like they havent because they dont want to promote "the competition", which is all kinds of silly.

Vinnk

Have any gaming blogs picked up on this? I feel like they havent because they dont want to promote "the competition", which is all kinds of silly.

Yeah according to one of the KS updates, other than "fan" blogs, most of the major gaming sites can't advertise this for competitive reasons. It's really too bad and other than like the Game Informer people, who could justifiably see this as a rival, what other companies are even still doing print in the USA? I usually have to pay crazy shipping to get the UK Retro Gamer mag. In Japan, where I live, one year is over $120.

IrishNinja

^woo hoo! so that puts us, what, 15k away from more pages?

i like the "EVERY ISSUE BRINGS lid STICKERS" but the one i really wish we could see is the "mini history of gaming 'zines", i really don't see any retrospectives on that and i'd love to learn more...was hoping one of the Retronauts backers would've pushed for it, but maybe next time!

GameGavel

Neo Member
Thanks again everyone! We are already making some changes due to the # of contributors that have reached out to us that want to be involved. MORE PAGES. We are starting with the premier issue and taking it from 52 pages to 64 pages.

Only $2,500 to go! Our entire team appreciates your support over here on NeoGAF!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Was really unsure that this kickstarter was going to make it, back when it was first announced. Glad to see that it's almost definitely going to reach it's goal, because this is something that I definitely want to exist.

fatty

Just signed up. Almost forgot about it, good to see it has reached its goal. Hoped it would reach the goal of more pages but it probably won't happen.

smbu2000

Finally got around to signing up for it myself. Would've liked to have gone for the print version, but international shipping would be too costly... So I signed up for the digital version. Should still be good reading on the iPad. Looking forward to the first issue.

55hrs left to go.
Currently at over 56k.
Will the 62k stretch goal be met? PayPal pledges go towards the stretch goals it says...

I won't get a sticker as I'm going digital, but more pages/content is always appreciated!

Vinnk

At $61,274 with 45 hours to go. It'll meet the 62k stretch goal in a next few hours. The pace has really picked up.

It's always so crazy that many people only support a KS project after it has been fully backed and a lot of projects never get backed because people are waiting for the "sure thing" and never put any money down.

IrishNinja

^yeah you'd think they'd feel safe not paying anything if it fails anyway, its indeigogo that lets them keep it when underfunded.

Kyari

At $61,274 with 45 hours to go. It'll meet the 62k stretch goal in a next few hours. The pace has really picked up.

It's always so crazy that many people only support a KS project after it has been fully backed and a lot of projects never get backed because people are waiting for the "sure thing" and never put any money down.

A failed project sits in your profile is why, so it is a stain on your account. Or at least that seems to be the logic applied by most.

IrishNinja

A failed project sits in your profile is why, so it is a stain on your account. Or at least that seems to be the logic applied by most.

wait, why would backing a failed project be a stain? its your fault, you actually put in for it! what a weird mentality

Top Bottom