• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO: a video gaming magazine Kickstarter. (Parish, Seanbaby, Green, Kohler, etc)

joedick

Doesn't this already exist?

6PtlTXs.jpg

Why not just call it EGM? Or Playboy?

That's a section in GamesTM magazine. That cover is from a book that compiles the segments every year.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

Here is our latest Kickstarter update which also has subscription options for any of you who might have missed out on the Kickstarter!

Hello Backers!

I just wanted to give you all an update as to our progress on the Premier Issue of RETRO magazine! The update is we are working hard with our writing and creative team and are on schedule for a December shipment of the January 2014 Premier Issue!

The premier issue will weigh in at 68 Pages and you won't be disappointed with the great content that will adorn the pages.

International backers will be receiving their "extra shipping" invoices soon and these will be emailed directly to you. Paypal will be the preferred payment method for those.

If you know anyone else that might want to get a subscription or even just an individual copy of the printed Premier Issue of RETRO (Limited to about 500 copies left) you can give them this subscription link. Prices include shipping anywhere in the world! Remember, you can also buy RETRO as a gift for that gaming friend or family member! Just click the "I'm gifting to someone" box and you are good to go!

https://checkout.subscriptiongenius.com/ReadRetro.com/

We are also working diligently on launching http://www.ReadRetro.com our official website that will be running new, original and up-to-date content to complement the magazine.

Happy Holidays from all of us at RETRO and thanks again for all of your support!

Mike Kennedy

Publisher | RETRO

IrishNinja

^so hyped! wasn't even expecting it that soon, gonna be so great to have a new (old, haha) gaming mag to look forward to! totally gonna put some friends who missed out on the KS on to this.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Pretty goddamn stoked. I put in my order today. Love reading Retro Gamer, but with the people Retro has on board... well, shit. There's no way it won't be great.

GameGavel

Neo Member
To get the premier issue included with your first 1-year subscription you need to order today/tomorrow. Then we go to print and start shipping. If you wait, your subscription will begin with Issue #2. That is still cool BUT, the premier issue is really going to be epic. So if you want it order now. Supplies are limited on this premier issue, we are only printing 3,500 of them and then they are gone. Over 3,000 are spoken for at this point.

Thanks again to all of you over here for your support!

Mike Kennedy

Publisher | RETRO

woodypop

To get the premier issue included with your first 1-year subscription you need to order today/tomorrow. Then we go to print and start shipping. If you wait, your subscription will begin with Issue #2. That is still cool BUT, the premier issue is really going to be epic. So if you want it order now. Supplies are limited on this premier issue, we are only printing 3,500 of them and then they are gone. Over 3,000 are spoken for at this point.

Thanks again to all of you over here for your support!

Mike Kennedy

Publisher | RETRO
So to be clear: If I choose today/tomorrow the 1-Year Print Subscription option at the link, I WILL receive the 1st issue? Also, how many issues in a 1-Year subscription?

GameGavel

Neo Member
I somehow completely missed this thread. I'm all in on the physical subscription once payday comes around.

Cool! You will still be able to order the Premier issue individually until they are sold out, just a couple hundred left. It would then ship separately from your subscription and you would get #2 - #7 with the sub purchase.

Mike

cj_iwakura

Victor Ireland's been teasing something for this premier issue, too. A hint at his next PSP project(which isn't Class of Heroes 3).

Hobbun

Also, how will the S&H be handled, at least for the Premier issue? I mean will it actually be packaged well, in a "Do not bend" envelope, or something similar?

I ask because in all my other magazine subscriptions, it was just the magazine itself (in no envelope) and was always folded/rolled up from the mail carrier.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Also, how will the S&H be handled, at least for the Premier issue? I mean will it actually be packaged well, in a "Do not bend" envelope, or something similar?

I ask because in all my other magazine subscriptions, it was just the magazine itself (in no envelope) and was always folded/rolled up from the mail carrier.

It will ship polybagged like most other mags. Should be fine, although a lot depends on the size of your mailbox :)

Hobbun

It will ship polybagged like most other mags. Should be fine, although a lot depends on the size of your mailbox :)

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

It's not just being rolled/folded up in the mailbox, but during shipment as well.

At least it's in a bag, so that's good. Just a bit worried the edges will get dinged.

Thanks for the response.

Forgot all about this just subbed for a year of printed. I wish there was a way to still get the first issue though. I'm assuming it's not an option any more at this point.

Looking forward to issue #2 I suppose!

GameGavel

Neo Member
Forgot all about this just subbed for a year of printed. I wish there was a way to still get the first issue though. I'm assuming it's not an option any more at this point.

Looking forward to issue #2 I suppose!

We will get you started with the Premier! It will ship out next week to you. Others should start receiving it soon as the first run mailed out yesterday. Let us know when your copy arrives and post some pictures!

Thanks,

We will get you started with the Premier! It will ship out next week to you. Others should start receiving it soon as the first run mailed out yesterday. Let us know when your copy arrives and post some pictures!

Thanks,

Awesome!
Thanks very much, I'll be happy to post pics once it arrives.

I got my Premiere Issue in the mail on Saturday, and read through it voraciously. It's an awesome mag, and I can't wait for Issue 2. You guys really did a swell job at recapturing what felt like the best bits of late-80s/early-90s game mags.

It wasn't a long wait for the "next" issue, though, as today I received another Premiere Issue in the mail, which was quite the surprise! Did I somehow manage to subscribe before the cut-off, thus making my separate ordering of the premier issue moot? I have no idea!

Regardless, I know somebody at work who is also a fan of old games, and thus now have a great surprise in store for them.

Hobbun

I haven't received my premiere issue yet, but looking forward to it.

Up to what point can I order the yearly subscription and start at issue #2 (the first one after the premiere issue)?

IrishNinja

not yet but i tend to get things down here after others on the east coast do

I got my Premiere Issue in the mail on Saturday, and read through it voraciously. It's an awesome mag, and I can't wait for Issue 2. You guys really did a swell job at recapturing what felt like the best bits of late-80s/early-90s game mags.

this all sounds great, and from a Mr Saturn no less! can't wait to see it.

IrishNinja

got mine in yesterday, the articles are great & the stock/paper quality is better than i expected too! so glad i sub'd. more details as i spend more time with it!

Stackboy

Really glad the digital edition eventually got sent out in PDF format. Flicked through it on my iPad during lunch today.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Hey NeoGaf! Did you see our shout out to you in the pages of our premier issue? Thanks again to all of you here who are subscribers!

Now, check out a preview of our second issue: http://readretro.com/news/retro-issue-2-preview-special-subscription-offer/

RETRO-02-Front-Cover.jpg

If you haven't subscribed yet you can get a nice discount with the promo code "IHEARTRETRO" - click here and enter the promo code: https://checkout.subscriptiongenius.com/ReadRetro.com/

For those that want to read RETRO on glass, you can now buy a single issue OR digital subscription on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retro-video-game-magazine/id818640896?ls=1&mt=8

Thanks again !

Anybody have an idea when Issue #2 is shipping? Their website hasn't been helpful at all with regards to the magazine, and I can't seem to find the information through preliminary googling...

styl3s

Donated!

Already subscribe to Retro Gamer - but it would be nice to get a U.S. based retro magazine.
You can subscribe in the states to Retro Gamer? I literally cannot find that magazine anywhere. The only place that had it around here was Books-A-Million and they closed down.

IrishNinja

looks like i should expect # 2 in the post next week or so!

I paid $60 on kickstarter and have yet to see any form of this magazine.

Can anyone help me out here?

did you contact their site? i'm sure they can fix this.

You can subscribe in the states to Retro Gamer? I literally cannot find that magazine anywhere. The only place that had it around here was Books-A-Million and they closed down.

you totally can, and it's cheaper too! from a very helpful Amazon post:

Awesome title from the UK, but for American and Canadian subscribers go to the official retro gamer site and enter the promo code: CLASSIC for the discounted price of £50.00 or $77.31 in US dollars.

ScOULaris

Just bought the second issue from GameGavel.com to give it a test drive before pulling the trigger on a subscription. I currently get Game Informer and Edge, but Edge is just too expensive to renew once it expires. If I like RETRO enough, it'll serve as a nice bi-monthly complement to Game Informer.

If you guys find success with the print mag, would you ever consider going to a monthly schedule?

Top Bottom