• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studio's new website is finally up.

KingBroly

Banned
The last time Retro updated their site, a new game happened.

And throughout all of this, it confirms that Retro's twitter account was and is the real deal.

gafneo

Banned
Not to mention King K. Roll.

It's also obviously the Tropical Freeze entry. I doubt they'd do the six islands thing again. If it was K. Rool's return I would think we'd also see a new Crocodile Isle as the location of the worlds.

K Roll, Rick Roll. I like it

Well I'll be! I'm surprised it came before the announcement of a new game. It's now been over two years since Tropical Freeze was released. I can't wait to see what they're working on at E3.

stuminus3

I can't believe they were able to turn a Wii into an actual functioning web server to host their site. The guys at Retro are incredible!

Banned
What I want in order of preference:

1) New IP, like a linear third person shooter like tomb raider or uncharted. Maybe a turn based RPG.

2) 3D Donkey Kong without being a collect-a-thon

3) 3D Metroid. In first or third person.

Me too.

Am I wrong to think that it's guaranteed to happen?

Anything may or may not happen, but based on the pattern of Retro dev cycles and announcements I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. Retro seems to be in better shape than they have in years... This is the first time since after Echoes released where we haven't been hit with the news of major departures from the studio, and the first time since then where they immediately began work on their next project after finishing their previous game (so far as we know). There's no side project that we know of taking up their time and resources that we know of, and Nintendo needs their big guns present to show off the NX, even if the game won't be there at launch. I'd say it's as close to guaranteed as you can get!

Dr. Buni

Can't wait for them to announce the new Donkey Kong game. And I don't mean this ironically. Unless they are working on a new IP, I do want a 3rd "Returns" game.

marmoka

Banned
You know what this means? Something big is coming from Retro!!

Metroidprime3_1.png

I hope she's coming back.

Neoxon

If this is an indication of a new game, I'm gonna guess that Retro either has another DK game to end off the DKCR trilogy or a new IP in the works.

Azure J

That would be cool, but so would a new DK (3D or 2D), a new retro revival, or a new IP.

I just want more Retro Studios goodness.

Pretty much how I feel. Retro's earned the anticipation from me. Though no lies, I would love a 3D title with the world density that made me enjoy their Metroid games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I know we all want a new IP from them but it will have to wait, the Metroid franchise needs to be saved first.

You know what this means? Something big is coming from Retro!!

Metroidprime3_1.png

I hope she's coming back.

Only if it's like prime 1 and 2, prime 3 was rather terrible.

We will never get another game like prime 1 because publishers and devs want to add too much and try original things that don't work out well.

AdanVC

I wish they were still relevant.

They made my favorite game of all time (Metroid Prime). :(

Yeah. Nintendo should give them more freedom and let them be more open to interviews and in social media. They haven't made a bad game since the original Metroid Prime, they desserve tons of recognition but nope, Nintendo gots to keep them "opressed" and force them to stay dead silent everytime they got to develop a new game...

marmoka

Banned

We will never get another game like prime 1 because publishers and devs want to add too much and try original things that don't work out well.

I liked all them, but I agree that the third wasn't as good as its predecessors. My favourite is the first one, I consider it a masterpiece. If they are making another Metroid, lets see if it looks like that one.

People learns from mistakes. Don't give up hope.

I wish they were still relevant.

They made my favorite game of all time (Metroid Prime). :(

That you don't like them anymore doesn't make them irrelevant. Returns sold more than the Prime series combined, and their new game will be one of the most anticipated early NX titles.

It's real and legit, I swear I saw this. (even with the typo 20116, I can't do that on my chrome dev tools) It seems it'll run on ios, android and NX.
Screen_Shot_2016_02_23_at_6_02_28_PM.png

I also saw a possible remake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFyY2bhq7xY :) winds of change.

Even without the typos, and the six unique islands point that was clearly for the Tropical Freeze entry, that image is fake as fuck and there is no way they would call it DKC 4.

I beat all 3 and i dont remember anything terrible about 3; i remember it as just as good as the first two.

Toxi

Banned
it's sold better than Prime 2, and maybe will be better than Prime 3
No it hasn't.

EDIT: Whoops, you're right, I just checked. Glad to see Tropical Freeze doing better than I thought it did; wonder why everyone was saying it bombed.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't want a 6th DKC, but a new Metroid game or new IP would be really great. However, what I really want is this

It's been more than 16 years...

Here's a proof of concept someone did in UE4.

No it hasn't.

EDIT: Whoops, you're right, I just checked. Glad to see Tropical Freeze doing better than I thought it did; wonder why everyone was saying it bombed.

Relative to Rare's run of DK games from 1994 to 1999 and Retro's first one back in 2010 it really did but it's understandable given the hardware. Well, technically not Donkey Kong Land 3 but all the others.

Sheroking

Me too.

Am I wrong to think that it's guaranteed to happen?

Guaranteed? Maybe.

Retro has revealed games on a cycle of about 3 years each for the last decade. They're due. New hardware, more reason to break out some announcements? I think it's likely.

Top Bottom