• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studio's new website is finally up.

Josh5890

I know that they have had their hands in other games, but Retro Studios has fully developed and released one game since 2010. I feel like they have more than one project that is closer to completion than we think, and at least one of them is an NX game.

Malus

I beat all 3 and i dont remember anything terrible about 3; i remember it as just as good as the first two.

I've only played Prime 3 and I didn't like it very much.

What do people like more about the 1st two?

What I want in order of preference:

1) New IP, like a linear third person shooter like tomb raider or uncharted. Maybe a turn based RPG.

2) 3D Donkey Kong without being a collect-a-thon

3) 3D Metroid. In first or third person.

New IP 3D platformer go!

The last Retro Studio's rumour a few months said they were working on a new ip

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131029

It was more of an educated guess. The rumor even entertained the idea of it being Metroid again in some form.

I've only played Prime 3 and I didn't like it very much.

What do people like more about the 1st two?

Prime 1 and 2 have less action and more exploration. There's also a greater sense of isolation as only Prime 2 has an NPC you can talk to, and he's only in one room. The first two feel much closer to fundamental Metroid games as we know them, whereas Prime 3 is a noticeable departure. The overall consensus of people who've played all three is that the third is definitely the worst of the trilogy. Still great, but just not as good as the first two.

If you didn't like the high focus on action or storytelling of Prime 3, the first two games might do you better. If you didn't like the puzzles, feeling lost, and the sense of exploration that Prime 3 has, then you'll want to steer clear of Prime 1 and 2 (and any Metroid game besides Other M, truthfully), because they have those things in spades.

ChaosXVI

I figure Retro's new game is a near-lock for E3 this year. They've consistently had 3 year development cycles, and have had DKCTF in the bag since November 2013. I recall a few high profile hires since Tropical Freeze came out, but not any departures (that I know of).

Nothing they announce could disappoint me. DK, Metroid, Gritty Ice Climbers reboot. I'm on board. I do hope that NX will allow them to really wow the industry again graphically. Metroid Prime blew everyone the fuck away with its graphics in 2002, and it's about time they got to really flex their muscles again.

jblank83

I think it's nice, clean, easy to read.

Retro has never had much content on their site. They focus on development, not promotion. Nintendo handles the PR stuff.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but wasn't there something about Retro expanding last year?
...Couldn't they be working on two (or more) games right now?
3D Metroid and 2D Metroid obviously
Either way, Retro doesn't disappoint. Maybe that news tab will actually have news soon.

Malus

If you didn't like the puzzles, feeling lost, and the sense of exploration that Prime 3 has, then you'll want to steer clear of Prime 1 and 2 (and any Metroid game besides Other M, truthfully), because they have those things in spades.

Yeah I usually like those things in games, but not so much in Prime 3. If they make another game in that style I'll probably use a guide.

daTRUballin

There's a lot of weird and unnecessary things on their new site. For example, in the "About Us" section, why is there a weird little (almost fan fiction-like) narrative between each paragraph that tells about a specific franchise they've worked on?

And why is there a detailed description/promotion for Austin, Texas??? I mean, I know that Retro is located in Austin, but why?

Instro

For what it's worth, if that rumor is true, something they pitched doesn't necessarily mean new IP. IIRC they pitched that Shiek game idea at one point several years ago. Really it could be anything at this point.

There's a lot of weird and unnecessary things on their new site. For example, in the "About Us" section, why is there a weird little (almost fan fiction-like) narrative between each section that tells about a specific franchise they've worked on?

And why is there a detailed description/promotion for Austin, Texas??? I mean, I know that Retro is located in Austin, but why?

I would assume it's part of attracting applicants. As for Austin, it's a very popular place for game development studios.

Prime 1 and 2 have less action and more exploration. There's also a greater sense of isolation as only Prime 2 has an NPC you can talk to, and he's only in one room. The first two feel much closer to fundamental Metroid games as we know them, whereas Prime 3 is a noticeable departure. The overall consensus of people who've played all three is that the third is definitely the worst of the trilogy. Still great, but just not as good as the first two.
Idk where in the world you found access to the overall consensus from. You make it sound like the game is a definite step down from past greatness, when it has a more fleshed out story, better graphics, refreshed combat with the addition of ripping shields off of enemies with the grappling beam, and a final level that blows mp1 away.

Metroid prime 3 is the shit and is only a step down if you refuse to play games that dont conform to the embarrasingly cliche fire world, ice world video game trope. One of the finest games on wii, bar none

hughesta

Banned
MP3 is every bit as good as its predecessors. It excels in areas the other games didn't, and fails in areas the others succeeded. MP3 is a fantastic game, and I wish it wasn't held to s tier below the others.

That rumor is more of an educated guess, though I figure they weren't a normal sequel last year when I saw that the jobsatnintendo twitter having a few peculiar positions like concept artist for something that should have been well underway by early/mid 2015 if it was a straightforward sequel.

MP3 is every bit as good as its predecessors. It excels in areas the other games didn't, and fails in areas the others succeeded. MP3 is a fantastic game, and I wish it wasn't held to s tier below the others.

It's not really, other than on GAF. Much like Fusion, Corruption tried some new things, and for the most part succeeded. They stray from the formula a bit and as a result, a lot of fans of the series don't like them. I think they're the most fun games in the series.

I know that they have had their hands in other games, but Retro Studios has fully developed and released one game since 2010. I feel like they have more than one project that is closer to completion than we think, and at least one of them is an NX game.

I don't see what's strange about this. Three years is a regular development time for a polished game.

Fall 2010: DKCR
Fall 2013: DKCR:TF
Fall 2016: Potential NX game

I don't see where a second game would fit.

That rumor is more of an educated guess, though I figure they weren't a normal sequel last year when I saw that the jobsatnintendo twitter having a few peculiar positions like concept artist for something that should have been well underway by early/mid 2015 if it was a straightforward sequel.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Studios are always hiring concept artists even deep in to dev cycles. It seems strange but game development works in strange ways.

I don't see what's strange about this. Three years is a regular development time for a polished game.

Fall 2010: DKCR
Fall 2013: DKCR:TF
Fall 2016: Potential NX game

I don't see where a second game would fit.

Especially when it's a smaller studio like Retro.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Studios are always hiring concept artists even deep in to dev cycles. It seems strange but game development works in strange ways.
I don't think I've seen them post a position for concept artist after mid-2015. Positions like level 2 Engineer and Designers and stuff like that but no concept artist positions after that.

I don't think I've seen them post a position for concept artist after mid-2015. Positions like level 2 Engineer and Designers and stuff like that but no concept artist positions after that.

Maybe someone left and they needed to fill the position, or maybe they realized they needed another one. They aren't that big of a studio.

AzaK

OK this must meant they have nothing to do. Wasn't that the reason for the shit site for so long; they were too busy.

Peru

Idk where in the world you found access to the overall consensus from. You make it sound like the game is a definite step down from past greatness, when it has a more fleshed out story, better graphics, refreshed combat with the addition of ripping shields off of enemies with the grappling beam, and a final level that blows mp1 away.

Metroid prime 3 is the shit and is only a step down if you refuse to play games that dont conform to the embarrasingly cliche fire world, ice world video game trope. One of the finest games on wii, bar none

"More fleshed out story" is not what I want from a Metroid game, though. I think Metroid Prime told a story very effectively without dialogue and without taking control away from you. Narrative architecture.

There were innovations in gameplay in MP3, for sure. But the separate levels, cutscenes and story progression made it feel stop-start-y and lost the feeling of exploring a world that I loved so much in the original MP (and of course Super Metroid). The sense of awe in that original MP was no longer there. MP3 is a solid game, even great, but doesn't come close to the original in my opinion. Also the character of Tallon IV has little to do with ice and fire worlds. The mines and Phendrana drifts hardly cling to cliches, and the rest of the planet is not about pastiche. In addition it's one of the best examples of a relatively linear game and game world that still feels open, but without the issues of aimless game design many open game worlds suffer from.

OK this must meant they have nothing to do. Wasn't that the reason for the shit site for so long; they were too busy.

Lol are you serious? Oh my god...how did they made this incredible site? I bet they needed all of their staff to get that thing done. Damn, Metroid is cancelled because of the new homepage. It's sad, but they needed that time for their site and Nintendo was okay with it.

Top Bottom