• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Pixar's Inside Out: "Pixar's Spirited Away"

Status
Not open for further replies.
aside from the comic relief, there's really nothing about prince of egypt that's bad, or even questionable, let alone on the animation side of things. it is a fucking beautiful film.

I think the only misstep in the entire film is the 'Big Boys' number. It's the only thing in the film that feels manufactured.

AniHawk

But Toy Story 3 is better than most of Pixar's other films.

toy story 3 really didn't do anything for me. in the end it was too saccharine to be genuine. i never thought the toys were in actual danger of being melted (a scene which is going to be made worse with toy story 4), and andy saying goodbye to his toys was really weird. not so much the act, but the length of the scene. the other elements of loss and abandonment were done better in toy story 2, and most of the movie felt like a collection of skits.

that's just me though. i know a lot of people genuinely love it so i won't begrudge them that. it just kind of was meh for me. didn't help that how to train your dragon also came out that year and kinda blew me away.

AniHawk

I think the only misstep in the entire film is the 'Big Boys' number. It's the only thing in the film that feels manufactured.

i agree. it felt as out of place in that movie as any of the the musical numbers did in the butchered version of the thief and the cobbler.

J2 Cool

Pixar's big fuckup on top of John Lasseter's leadership waining was losing its director stable of John/Docter/Stanton/Bird one by one. But being this is a Pete Docter film it's I'm sure their best film in a long time. Liking the buzz.

For the record, I still think Toy Story is their best film.

kmax

Pixar's Spirited Away?! One of, if not the greatest animated film of all time?

That's quite the statement. I believe it when I see it.

PillarEN

But is it the Citzen Kane of animated films?

Comparisons to Spirited Away better mean this is the best thing almost ever.

Ikael

OMG please be good, I wanted Pixar to return to form so, so badly. Brave, Planes... go away bad Pixar! Sush! Let the Pixar of yore shine yet again! *hugs Ratatouille and Toy Story 3 Blurays*

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I almost always poo poo on Pixar movies and then end up liking them in spite of my reservations, but throwing around hyperbole comparing this to Spirited Away seems like nonsense to me. That movie was magical and wildly original and this seems like Herman's Head with G-rated gags.

tomtom94

I almost always poo poo on Pixar movies and then end up liking them in spite of my reservations, but throwing around hyperbole comparing this to Spirited Away seems like nonsense to me. That movie was magical and wildly original and this seems like Herman's Head with G-rated gags.

key words bolded

overcast

Where are these Ratatouille complex themes I'm missing?

Nothing about the film seemed layered to me.
Sense of belonging in the world.
Self expression.
Family/culture versus your dreams.
The power of art/food (Ego's nostalgia).
The relation between art and a critic. The power of the critics when it comes to the art.
"Anyone can cook"

Put that with some beautiful scenes, two of Pixar's best characters and wonderful direction. That movie is special.

KHlover

Banned
Spider from Mars said:
Considering the fact that Ratatouille was their last great film from start to finish, I am somewhat more excited.

GAF is the only place that says shit like this.

Up and WALL-E both have quite the universal praise and acclaim. So, yeah.

I agree with him. It's the last "great" film. Up and WALL-E are so good that I wouldn't call them anything less than "brilliant".:p

It seems that the comparison to Spirited Away (doesn't seem like a quality comparison but more a thematic and plot thing) is made by just one person, Robbie Collins. No other critic makes the reference point. Pixar's best as praise doesn't do much for me, cause I hold more than a dozen more animated movies above that bar. But that's opinions for ya.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Will watch it, and because it's Pixar I am 100% guaranteed to cry.

You know Pixar, you could make your films just a tiny bit less heartbreaking and they would still be amazing.

Leflus

Sounds promising. Hopefully it's a true return to form for Pixar in terms of telling an original story. The studio was unstoppable in 00s.

Some of these comments are making me so sad.

The only two Pixar movies that really fit the role of terrible are Cars 1 & 2, and even the first Cars was pretty entertaining. Brave was just average, but not terrible.

That is an amazing track record for a studio like Pixar.

After Ratatouille, we got WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 which were all amazing films. Up is my personal favorite movie to come out of Pixar, followed closely by The Incredibles and Monsters Inc.

Even after those, they gave us Monsters University, which while not their best, is still grossly underrated and super entertaining.

So get out of here with any of that "Pixar has been on a decline since Ratatouille." That couldn't be farther from the truth.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Some of these comments are making me so sad.

The only two Pixar movies that really fit the role of terrible are Cars 1 & 2, and even the first Cars was pretty entertaining. Brave was just average, but not terrible.

That is an amazing track record for a studio like Pixar.

After Ratatouille, we got WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 which were all amazing films. Up is my personal favorite movie to come out of Pixar, followed closely by The Incredibles and Monsters Inc.

Even after those, they gave us Monsters University, which while not their best, is still grossly underrated and super entertaining.

So get out of here with any of that "Pixar has been on a decline since Ratatouille." That couldn't be farther from the truth.

There is no truth. Its subjective. Monsters University is underrated though.

Saw Inside Out (don't ask me how) - it's fantastic. Second best movie I've seen this year behind Mad Max, not that my rankings mean anything.

Awesome! You're really lucky :) It seems like my kind of movie, and everything I'm hearing about it makes me more and more excited.

Would you rank it as one of their top 5 works?

U-WOT-M8.jpg

[/SPOILER]

For me, Up's first 10 minutes are probably Pixar's best work.

However, after that, I feel that the movie just falls to pieces. The dogs, the setting, the characters- all of it just seemed a little too over the top to me, which is something that Pixar usually avoids. I really wanted to like it considering I loved the intro so much, but everything it did after that (apart from the few moments where it focused on the touching scenes) just didn't do it for me.

Fireblend

Banned
lol @ comparing Prince of Egypt with Disney's masterpieces.

Also, I'm blown away by the amount of people not ranking TS3 among Pixar's best. I thought it was extraordinary, I walked out of the theater trying not to bawl my eyes out. I also think Finding Nemo is pretty good, even if Monster's Inc, Ratatouille or the Incredibles are better. I can see people not liking Up that much because of how "silly" it was after the first 10 minutes of brilliance, but I thought that had a nice emotional climax as well with Carl letting go of the house (literally), I'd say that scene redeemed the movie for me.

KHlover

Banned
lol @ comparing Prince of Egypt with Disney's masterpieces.

Also, I'm blown away by the amount of people not ranking TS3 among Pixar's best. I thought it was extraordinary, I walked out of the theater trying not to bawl my eyes out. I also think Finding Nemo is pretty good, even if Monster's Inc, Ratatouille or the Incredibles are better. I can see people not liking Up that much because of how "silly" it was after the first 10 minutes of brilliance, but I thought that had a nice emotional climax as well with Carl letting go of the house (literally), I'd say that scene redeemed the movie for me.

TS3 should have ended with the scene when they were about to melt and prepared to die. That would have been a bold way to end the trilogy ;)

Astral Dog

That's nice to hear, i was worried going by the trailer, i still don't get why the young girl has male emotions though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It'll probably be endearingly forgettable like all their other films.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ratatouille is still Pixar's Best. Wall-E was borderline junk. The unique beginning doesn't stop the rest of the film from being poorly done. Up is still a mixed bag. Some of the bits were great. Other bits not so much. But when it was on, it was firing all cylinders. TS3 is still the hardest one for me to rank. Too much nostalgia. I adore the overall concept of passing on your toys, but the story felt like it was done already with TS2. Dat ending.

One Cars, Cars 2 is the only bad movie Pixar has had. Brave and Cars 1 were both mediocre affairs that would be remembered a bit more fondly if expectations weren't so high.

For me, Up's first 10 minutes are probably Pixar's best work.

However, after that, I feel that the movie just falls to pieces. The dogs, the setting, the characters- all of it just seemed a little too over the top to me, which is something that Pixar usually avoids. I really wanted to like it considering I loved the intro so much, but everything it did after that (apart from the few moments where it focused on the touching scenes) just didn't do it for me.

This. Anyone please explain why Up is so highly rated here. The first 10 minutes are golden, best Pixar. It sets the mood and the message (family man without childs, old generation needs to tie to Young gen, both benefecting from it).

After that it is a mess, with little bright spots. The pseudo south america setting looks a second grade reject from Los Three Amigos, the villan, its dogs and Carl actions look like a bad old Indiana Jones film (looks like Indy 4, even it coming first) with a crazy old nazy enemy.

SaganIsGOAT

That title is the only thing I need to hear. I ADORE Myazaki's work with Princess Mononoke being my all time favorite and Spirted Away not far behind. I have Kodamas tattooed on me I loved it so much. I'm very excited.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But is it the Citzen Kane of animated films?

Comparisons to Spirited Away better mean this is the best thing almost ever.

Not even Spirited Away is the Citizen Kane of animated films. It just gets lip service because it's the most well known Miyazaki film in America.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How can something be endearingly forgettable?

Makes sense to me. For me personally, I'll watch a Pixar movie and say "well that was cute" and never watch or think about it again. I think CG animation is abhorrent but they always get such talented storytellers working these films at Pixar that there's always a value in seeing them.

Cuburt

The first trailer sold me on the potential of the premise but these reviews have my shot up my expectations.

I haven't been interested in a new Pixar film since Toy Story 3 (though I do want to watch Monsters University and Brave some day) but I think this movie's hook seems like something right up Pixar's alley.

I have a feeling this movie is going to make me cry. The beginning of Up fucking wrecked me in the theater and no one warned me.

Awesome! You're really lucky :) It seems like my kind of movie, and everything I'm hearing about it makes me more and more excited.

Would you rank it as one of their top 5 works?

Hmm. Yeah, actually. Hard to top Ratatouille, so this is probably behind it and Toy Story 3 for
me. UP and The Incredibles round out the top five (with Wall-E falling just short).

Toothless

I think this is going to be a great movie, but anyone expecting Spirited Away tone/story off of one review is going to be sorely disappointed. I expect worldbuilding in the vein of Monsters Inc., no more, no less.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
I've been looking forward to this since I read this preview last year. This stood out to me:

At the risk of overstatement, the film could eventually prove to be as revolutionary as Dante’s “Divine Comedy,” which so vividly described the Italian poet’s vision of heaven and hell that it has shaped the public’s image of both ever since. In the absence of a truly satisfying model for how the mind works, “Inside Out” gives people a new way to visualize their own thought process.

As if to prove that point, early reactions to internal test screenings reveal ways in which audiences are already analyzing their own behavior according to Docter’s new model.

“One family came and watched the movie,” the director recalls. “The son had always had trouble going off the diving board, and that day, he dove off, and he said, ‘I just felt like Fear was driving, and I needed to make him step aside.’”

Could very well be an overstatement but its good to see that the early screenings are reviewing well! Fingers crossed for a return to form for Pixar, its definitely an ambitious idea.

Not

Banned
"___ was a mistake. It's nothing but trash." is from the Miyazaki connection in the thread title.

Just read the Know Your Meme page

Hayao Damn Miyazaki said:
You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!.

Puriichi, Miyazaki-San

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom