• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I like what I see but I need to see some games.

And about Nintendo shooting itself in the foot. What is forbiding Nintendo to pack a "classic" & a "revolution" controller with the revolution ?

Best of both world :D

Hooker

japtor said:
nuts to that. it can go to 10, and its not confusing at all!:
1P X[][][]
2P []X[][]
3P [][]X[]
4P [][][]X
5P X[][]X
6P []X[]X
7P [][]XX
8P X[]XX
9P []XXX
10P XXXX

now if only the revolution could go to 11.
Erm... it's 16 (basic binary) - 15 if you want at least 1 LED burning at all times:

0000 *
Ristamar said:
One problem. Two, actually: L button, R button.

They'd probably be better off just putting 4 buttons down there to begin with... unless they're looking to milk the add-ons.
I was complaining about that as well, but after observing the mock-up it can be done. What if those extra 4 button-clicky thing incorporate a "b-trigger" on the bottom similar to the d-pad side. Might take some adjusting, but I reckon that after 10 minutes you're used to it.

And you can always use the HORI pad :)

Sunski

One problem I have -

Didn't Sony show off all of these possibilities on PS3 with the EyeToy? Or is it a case of this controller has depth sensing, tilt sensors and so forth whereas the EyeToy is more 2D?

Ristamar

Hooker said:
I was complaining about that as well, but after observing the mock-up it can be done. What if those extra 4 button-clicky thing incorporate a "b-trigger" on the bottom similar to the d-pad side. Might take some adjusting, but I reckon that after 10 minutes you're used to it.

And you can always use the HORI pad :)

Eh... thanks, but no thanks. Perhaps if the controller was symmetrical on the bottom, the solution would be marginally passable, though hardly preferable.

I'll stick to my HORI pads.

Sunski said:
One problem I have -

Didn't Sony show off all of these possibilities on PS3 with the EyeToy? Or is it a case of this controller has depth sensing, tilt sensors and so forth whereas the EyeToy is more 2D?

This is true... remember the cup with the water?

Hooker

japtor said:
yeah, but then its all confusing because the numbered labels :p
0010 = 3
1100 = 3
etc
Heh, didn't even notice those number. Was distracted by the ugly blue light. (WHITE LEDS!!!)

But true though, and I don't think Nintendo will label them with 1/2/4/8 :p

Sunski, no and yes (in that order)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
First I was like "WTF"

then i was like "woah that could be cool"

Now im like "where the fuck is mario you lousy assholes"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Leondexter said:
3. There's no way it will be precise enough, or work how we're being told (but not shown) that it will. That video makes me think they can't get it to work right yet.

I thought the same thing about the twist sensor in Wario ware, but Nintendo got it just about perfect.

Although I have a gyration mouse, and it isn't that easy to use as a mouse (in gyrating mode). Maybe for games it'll be easier, it does seem built more for gestures than for mouse pointing.

I don't get why it doesn't have an analog stick on it though - just dumbing it down (in a good way) for grannies etc?

Sign me up. Get me one of these and at least one of the 360/PS3 for traditional (or ancient / rubbish) gaming and I'll be sorted going into the new gen.

samusx

Banned
OK, so where do 'gamers that don't want to look like retards while playing', fit into Nintendo's new system strategy?

I don't want to jump around my room, or slash my arm like a sword like some 7 year old playing Lord of the Rings. WTF?

Really the idea does look fun, but only for a little while. I can see getting frustrated with the control setup in more standard type action games. As if we are going to be able to play a mario game by fliping the remote control to make him jump and move. It would be so hard to do, and it is not needed, just press the damned A button.

It looks fun and but not more as a secondary controller not the main system focus. Oh well we will see. It will have its good games, but overall, for the real gamers this is not the system for them. Nintendo is too focused on trying to get people over 60 and bored house wifes into gaming, then to care about real gamers.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I really have mixed feelings about all of this. After watching the Nintendo revolution video, Im happy that they did make it they way they did, it could have some very good advantages for some games, but at the same time, I wish it was just an accessory that could be used instead of a pad. The whole console has been designed around this and Im not quite sure how well its going to work with all games.

With mario games and all mario spinoffs, Im sure they could do wonders with it. For example. With mario tennis you could use the remote or whatever you want to call it as a racket and with mario baseball it could be used for the same thing. i guess even with Zelda it could work really well to, the remote could act as a sword.

But at the same I would like to play games with a normal controller. Id like to play sports games on a normal controller and other games too.

Sunski

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
This is true... remember the cup with the water?

Exactly. Surely Sony could just use the EyeToy to "Swipe with a sword" or "Make a platform character jump" or "Point and click in an adventure game" or finally, Aim in an FPS?

BUT this thing does look sh1t hot!!!111

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had to be out and about while all this news came in about the new controller, so I am just getting up to speed now.

I love it. I LOVE it.

I love that it has gyro-type abilities. I love that it is a long rectangle - this is easier to create movements like swinging a bat and steering with than a bulky traditional controller shape. I love that you can turn it sideways and it becomes a NES-type pad. I love that it is wireless. I love that it can have different attachments for your second hand. I love that it will make light-gun games possible on plasma and LCD TVs (and you wont even need to buy a light gun). I love that you can use two of them for dual gyro control.

I think it is going to feel new and exciting and different and re-introduce fun into genres that have become increasingly complicated. People are asking how to play a fighting game with this - I would rather give an uppercut by swinging the controller up in an uppercut movement than by pressing left+left+diagonal up+up+button.

Before today I had zero interest in Revolution. Now I am eagerly awaiting more info and seriously considering buying one.

This is the best thing Nintendo have done in years.

Juice

byproduct said:
I had to be out and about while all this news came in about the new controller, so I am just getting up to speed now.

I love it. I LOVE it.

I love that it has gyro-type abilities. I love that it is a long rectangle - this is easier to create movements like swinging a bat and steering with than a bulky traditional controller shape. I love that you can turn it sideways and it becomes a NES-type pad. I love that it is wireless. I love that it can have different attachments for your second hand. I love that it will make light-gun games possible on plasma and LCD TVs (and you wont even need to buy a light gun). I love that you can use two of them for dual gyro control.

I think it is going to feel new and exciting and different and re-introduce fun into genres that have become increasingly complicated. People are asking how to play a fighting game with this - I would rather give an uppercut by swinging the controller up in an uppercut movement than by pressing left+left+diagonal up+up+button.

Before today I had zero interest in Revolution. Now I am eagerly awaiting more info and seriously considering buying one.

Then why don't you marry it?

Just kidding.

Long story short, I really think this is the best thing to happen to gaming in just about forever. Just as input development hit a complete brick wall between this generation and the next, Nintendo comes out with this and just makes about every single genre better.

Mario is swinging bats.
Mario is chopping salad.
Mario is shooting aliens with all of the control of a dual analog in one hand.
Mario is playing the drums.
Mario is schooling Luigi and his mansion.
Mario is driving carts.
Mario is flying airplanes.
Mario is having realistic sword fights.

Seriously, the number of actions you can do with this thing that the system will be able to figure out is mind-boggling.

If this doesn't sell and pulls a dreamcast, that's it; I'm done gaming.

dorio

Banned
I'm too old to be flailing my arms around playing a videogame but I admire Nintendo for making this bold very risky move. I'm sure the other two wouldn't have the balls to do it. They may be alienating their customers but on the otherhand they could single handedly make Americans kids healthier.

taku

byproduct said:

I love it. I LOVE it.

IAWTP!

I <3 Nintendo.

pringles

This is exactly what I hoped for, something totally different and new that will make the gaming experience change alot.

The gyroscopic thing sound great, and I'm sure Nintendo themselves will find some really interesting uses for it in games like Mario 128, Zelda and just think about the possibilities in a Pikmin game.

Only thing that worries me is that there could be an "add-on" frenzy where every other game has a new controller piece included. I don't want to have controller parts lying around all over the house. Assuming that there will be atleast two add-ons that are necessary to have, and four "remotes" if you want multiplayer- that's 12 controller pieces right there. That's like 8 too many for my taste.

Also, I wonder if it will work well having a seperate piece for an analog stick, as someone mentioned earlier, you need the other hand to stabilize the controller when you use a control stick. Judging by the impressions of those who used, It doesn't seem like a problem though.

Other then that, I think Nintendo has exceeded my expectations by far. The design(my god it looks good!) and BC alone makes the console worth owning, and now it looks like we will see games that are totally different from anything we have ever seen before.

The 360 will take care of my need for traditional games and mind-blowing graphics, and the Rev will fill the hole created by the 360, the lack of innovation.

Oh, just thought of something.
Duck Hunt! That will be the first game I download.

Monk

Banned
Juice said:
Then why don't you marry it?

Just kidding.

Long story short, I really think this is the best thing to happen to gaming in just about forever. Just as input development hit a complete brick wall between this generation and the next, Nintendo comes out with this and just makes about every single genre better.

Mario is swinging bats.
Mario is chopping salad.
Mario is shooting aliens with all of the control of a dual analog in one hand.
Mario is playing the drums.
Mario is schooling Luigi and his mansion.
Mario is driving carts.
Mario is flying airplanes.
Mario is having realistic sword fights.

Seriously, the number of actions you can do with this thing that the system will be able to figure out is mind-boggling.

If this doesn't sell and pulls a dreamcast, that's it; I'm done gaming.

The problem lies with the third parties, Nintendo doesnt seemm to be trying to woo the third parties enough. That's what i am worried about, if there isnt enough support, it will probably get the same amout of games as the eyetoy. And that is sad.

byproduct said:

I love it. I LOVE it.

Seriously I though about not buying any console this gen but I tell ya Revolution is probably going to change that.

+Aliken+

I don't understand all the people say it's shit. They wanted a revolution, you wanted a revolution... what do you expect the same Pad configuration as ever? I mean before you talk should you try it?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
+Aliken+ said:
I don't understand all the people say it's shit. They wanted a revolution, you wanted a revolution... what do you expect the same Pad configuration as ever? I mean before you talk should you try it?

That makes too much sense.

Seriously, we all knew it wasn't going to be a traditional controller. What WOULD have impressed people? I bet noone can answer that- because noone knows. This thing seems to pack quite a bit of functionality inside it, will open up new ways to play, and looks more than half-decent for what it is. Whats with the bitching? Its not like it will be the only system. Damn people. Give the fucking thing a chance.

mrkgoo

I've just watched teh movie, and at the very least, it's inspiring.

Anyway, a number of things I've been pondering:

* I wonder what Sony and MS are actually thinking right now. Are they laughing? Are they wondering if they can do it? May they're just bewildered.
* How responsive is it? I've been reasonably impressed with touchscreen technology, but the only game that has really justified the touch screen in terms of responsiveness is Ouendan (in particular, the map screen actually had me going wow). I'm guessin there's some kind of calibration on teh system after you set it up.
* I'm wondering how the technology actually works. Triangulation?
*what are the exact degrees of movement allowed? Translation and position along x, y, z? Point and aim? Roll, yaw, and pitch? Which ones, all of them? I hope it's the latter.
* It occurs to me any complaints can nearly always be answered by the attached peripherals avaible. Maybe nintendo will actually crank out full on controllers to attach to it! (or maybe connectivity will rear its head again).
* Seeing X and Y buttons on the controller makes me wonder if AB =/= ab.

However even after all that, I wonder if it's not just useful for simple show-off moments in games. It may be cool to swing a sword, but can an entire game be made from that?

But man, that movie was kinda fun. I'm loving the way they use it in shooting type games.

Also, this makes Ouendan possible for a console. That's got to count for something.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Monk said:
The problem lies with the third parties, Nintendo doesnt seemm to be trying to woo the third parties enough. That's what i am worried about, if there isnt enough support, it will probably get the same amout of games as the eyetoy. And that is sad.
It can't be that fucking hard. Seriously, with the DS, it's hard. If you want games to take proper advantange of the DS, you need some games like Kirby Canvas Curse, that are totally not doable on a regular handheld. The Revolution's control, on the other hand, is just something that can enhance games instead of just changing them. The only problem here is lack of buttons, and I think that won't be such a huge problem like with the DS.
mrkgoo said:

* I wonder what Sony and MS are actually thinking right now. Are they laughing? Are they wondering if they can do it? May they're just bewildered.
* How responsive is it? I've been reasonably impressed with touchscreen technology, but the only game that has really justified the touch screen in terms of responsiveness is Ouendan (in particular, the map screen actually had me going wow). I'm guessin there's some kind of calibration on teh system after you set it up.
*what are the exact degrees of movement allowed? Translation and position along x, y, z? Point and aim? Roll, yaw, and pitch? Which ones, all of them? I hope it's the latter.
Sony and MS are probably like "HAAHAUHAUHAUHAUH NICHE MARKET". It's responsive, according to the people who did a hands-on. All kinds of movement are allowed, it detects movement x, y, z and roll and stuff. That's what I read.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
mrkgoo said:

My bet is they are both assembling small teams to start developing similar controllers and accompanying games, keeping an eye on Nintendo to see if it takes off and whether they need to jump on the bandwagon.

I like it.

I think the design is really important too. It just looks cool and has an overall design elegance to it, by comparision the PS3/X360 are gaudy.

Making the controller in the shape/style of a remote control is genius too. Everyone's held a remote control so there isn't really a sense of trepidation. It's like finding you have to learn how to drive some kind of new vehicle ... but seeing it has a steering wheel .... that certainly helps make you feel more comfortable.

I think if Nintendo can get proper software, they really do have a shot here at expanding the market and bringing in more female players and older non-gamers.

It's the i-Pod of game consoles really. I'm not saying it'll be that successful per se, but the design/style and the emphasis on a user interface that anyone can use are certainly reminiscent of Apple and particularily the i-Pod.

Also I've found that the press is overwhelmingly very positive about the controller. GameSpot, IGN, 1Up.com all are glowing about it, but perhaps most surprisingly is EDGE Magazine, who's usually pretty hard on Nintendo (and everyone else) ... they're estatic with it. Sorry Drinky, it's not just the Nintendo fans that like it.

And all the press got to try it out, so I think that really bodes well. Nintendo might have something here.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
FANTASTIC. This is just FANTASTIC. Wario Ware, Zelda or Wave Race with gyroscopic control = pure sex. Wow. Nintendo. You just exceeded all my expectations. This will be too fun to bypass: 360 and PS3 owners will also buy a Revolution. The concept is that good. Next gen consoles needed a next gen control, and Nintendo delivered. Hats off, you just changed the videogame industry again (it happens every 20 years).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Interesting idea... not that it's unique because we've seen the gyroscopic mouse idea in the PC for a bit now, but interesting nonetheless, very nice look.

Nintendo will continue to attract those that don't normally get in to gaming.. and that's cool, they've wholly embraced their we are a niche gaming company focused on quirky games and people who wouldn't normally know a controller from a camcorder.

This byitself doesn't really push me closer or further away from Nintendo... As always I'm more interested in the content.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My thoughts

* I always like to try out new stuff so this revolution controller seems to be full of potential.
* Not worried about "normal" games. I think they will still exist and either peripherals or a GCN controller will provide for the needed controls.
* Had some fun imagining a controller shell in the shape of a sword - like that Dragon Warrior Slime tv game.
* So basically I'm not worried about the controls and the games that will be available for the Rev. But we haven't seen any screenshots of actual games. We don't know what the hardware is capable of. I'm not expecting PS3/X360 quality, but imo it should look improved over current gen systems. We'll see.

I said WOW.

The I said kuddos Nintendo for having balls of steel and daring to be different.

The idea here is to trick non-gamers into thinking the revo controller is simple when in fact it's very complex. Sure a tv remote anyone can use. But then you realize all the technology hidden underneath. Changing configurations, different attachments, motion sensing... I think it's great. Unusual, unexpected, shocking but ultimately different, and that's the important thing. People forget there's no book on how videogames should be played. Convensions are there only to be replaced by better things. Resistance to change is normal but I for one welcome it. I like different. This will work for Nintendo.

Watching the demo video made me smile. It looks fun just watching it being used. This is as interactive as games will be for the forseable future. Anyone who fails to see the possibilities should be ashamed to call himself a gamer. Bring it on Nintendo. Let me see the games now.

You have to wonder how "niche" this is though ...

Brain Training is the first new franchise in Japan to sell 1 million copies since ... well like Onimusha half a decade ago.

That says something I think. Nintendo is on to something as far as trying to appeal to non-gamers.

DumbNameD

Tempy said:
* Not worried about "normal" games. I think they will still exist and either peripherals or a GCN controller will provide for the needed controls.
Iwata said they plan on including the analog attachment with the console and remote, so it shouldn't be too bad.

wazoo

Sony is the market leader. They are the one to take risk.

With respect to Japan (since we are at the TGS), considering DS success, it is game over for MS. IMO.

Nintendo is releasing a "Classic" controller "shell" for the Revolution controller which will let it play all multi-platform/backwards compatible titles according to Iwata's speech.

Wow.

I liked it. I really, really liked it. At first I was thinking "WTF" as everyone else, but after reading a full description, hands-on impressions, and watching the vid...it all clicked.

The possibilities for first-person shooters are IMMENSE, as well as other genres. And I think this could really catch on. Infact I'm going to make a prediction: this'll be Nintendo's biggest console since the SNES. However, if all this fabulous raw potential goes to waste it just wouldn't make sense. But, that's how the cookie crumbles, I guess.

How the "Home" button relates to Nintendo's WiFi Connection also has me intrigued. Hopefully, they'll deliver on this point as well next month.

Besides that, it looks like I'll be buying all three all over again. *sigh*

Vashu

trippingmartian said:
QFT

After reading many of the ideas in this thread, the possibilities seem endless. I hope developers are taking notes!

They have to, this is a whole new step in gaming, and especially the immersion factor. Even Kojima had nothing but praise, saying 'You did it!'... I can think of a few concepts for the controller myself, and if the 'create your own stuff' part of the system continues to hold true, I might try and work them out...

This way of gaming is amazing, especially from a designer point of view, so to me, Nintendo was right about this 'Revolution'.

+Aliken+

What about having a peripheral for each game!
Could we have the controller that works perfectly for every game... finally!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
haha, interesting indeed. Can't wait to see how it plays, glad I got a WTF out of the reveal. can anyone point me at a negative hands on review of the hardware?

I haven't seen any negatives from the press that played the controller.

EDGE Magazine would've been the one to rip Nintendo, but they're probably the most glowing about the controller.

I think the press really understands what Nintendo is trying to do and they understand that expanding the market is a novel idea.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
soundwave05 said:
EDGE Magazine would've been the one to rip Nintendo, but they're probably the most glowing about the controller.

do you read edge? it's an excellent magazine, and they're unafraid to be critical, but they've been very indulgent with the ds, and seem to hold nintendo in high esteem.

drohne said:
do you read edge? it's an excellent magazine, and they're unafraid to be critical, but they've been very indulgent with the ds, and seem to hold nintendo in high esteem.

And so they should, i mean even the average NINTENDO game beats the shit out of 99% of the 3rd parties games out there.

I used the read EDGE, but back when I read it, they weren't so hot on Nintendo. In any case all the major press outlets have reported in and all have been positive.

Certainly I would not say GameSpot is pro-Nintendo. Also IGN had a full editor roundtable, with the other editors (not just the Nintendo ones) and the impressions were positive all across the board.

It would've been nice to see Mr. Miyamoto get up there and control a Mario Revolution demo to show the controller to the general public, but Nintendo delivered this time out.

For what they want to do, which is to make a machine for non-gamers ... I really think they might have a shot, and that's long been considering video gaming's Holy Grail. I think this could be even more effective than the DS in that regard.

Tellaerin

+Aliken+ said:

They wanted a revolution. I didn't. That's the problem I have with this. I never found myself waking up in the middle of the night thinking, 'What if I could play a game with... bongos? Or control my character by drawing on a touchscreen? Or waving a controller around in the air like a spaz to attack things? Whoa! That's much better than a gamepad!'

Like I said, I still intend to get a Revolution. I'm just disappointed in this. Moving something around in the air seems both less precise and more fiddly (harder to keep your hand perfectly still in a particular position, as opposed to holding an analog stick in place, too sensitive to unintended movements--I can turn away from the screen to look at somebody talking to me, for example, but I might end up killing myself in a game if I did that with the Rev controller--etc.) than a conventional gamepad. And I personally don't give a shit who thinks it makes me sound fat and lazy, waving my arms around in the air for a couple of hours after work doesn't sound like much of an entertainment experience, no matter how light the controllers are. I doubt you'd have many people watching television if it required them to semaphore constantly, either. :p

Looking at the responses in this thread, I also wonder how much of the support from people who say they're 'tired' of games the way they are now is just restlessness, born of a desire for 'something different' regardless of whether or not it's any better than what we've already got. I mean, I see ideas in this thread, but none of them have made me say, 'Gee, that's a much easier and more precise way of controlling my games than the controllers I already know are.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom