• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
soundwave05 said:
It would've been nice to see Mr. Miyamoto get up there and control a Mario Revolution demo to show the controller to the general public, but Nintendo delivered this time out.

That's really the only thing that disappoints me. I thought for sure that Mario would be on hand to demo the controller, at this point I'm starting to think we'll never see the next Mario game.

Timbuktu

well this is Edge's report on the news:
http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/09/nintendo_starts.php

...the new controller also happens to make the Xbox 360 pad and the 'boomerang' DualShock3 look outdated before they've even gone on sale.

But now it's back to waiting. Nintendo has not confirmed a release date, or anything else about the machine - simply, today's keynote explains that the hardware is in place and exactly what it is. Even the name of the machine is still to be decided, with the official announcement for today's controller unveiling strictly saying that Revolution is a code-name (and as you can see in the pictures the Revolution name is nowhere to be seen). Specific software is also off the menu, although early demonstrations of the device today included a toy plane game (where the user held the controller the way they would a toy plane), fishing and a first-person shooter section based on Metroid Prime 2.

These all proved that the device has demanded software creativity from even Nintendo. Other titles have already been demonstrated to a few select members of the press, including Edge, behind closed doors - and we will reveal our verdict on the Nintendo-developed ideas in an upcoming issue - but we're curious to know what form subsequent announcements from third party publishers take and how, exactly, games developers will use the new device.

Other titles?

I'm a hardcore player, but I'm losing interest in games. I barely play anymore.

But what interests me about Revolution is this is something I can see myself entertaining some friends/family with who don't play games.

And that's important, because I had some company over a while ago, and I have about $1000 worth of game hardware sitting around (PS2/XBox/GCN) and no one could play anything for sh-t.

We ended up playing cards, which is about as low tech as you can get, but it really made me realize what the hell is really the point of all the technology when you can't even enjoy it in that situation?

Maybe things just change as you get into your 20s. Revolution is something I can see playing with my girlfriend, cousins, sister, etc.

Who is disappointed? :lol
Nintendo makes the best thing ever seen in videogaming since SNES and you cry and troll my head away. (not evereybody^^)

I think Revolution will be more successful in Japan than the GameCube, possibly significantly more popular.

In North America I think they will have to work harder and really make sure they are careful with the types of software they release.

Marketing will be more crucial in North America. I can already see Apple i-Pod styled Revolution TV ads, and that's exactly the type of audience I think they want.

Nintendo should be more of a brand ala Apple/IKEA ... that type of "lifestyle" brand, they need to drop the Walt Disney/Fisher Price schtick and they certainly have done that with the asthetic design of the system.

Taker666

As a Nintendo fan I thought "WTF are you doing" as soon as I saw the first pic. Then I watched the video and any fears were wiped away completely.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
...this thread is way too long :( Ah well, had to sleep sooner or later.

Even though I should have been tired as hell at 6 in the morning, I couldn't sleep last night as I kept thinking of all the awesome games we're going to get out of this. I was like "No, stop thinking about it, you need to sleep" and then my mind would ignore me and come up with a Metroid Prime 3 control scheme.

I seriously haven't been this excited about gaming since...oh I don't know, early days of the N64? I just cannot wait until we see software.

SantaC

ok I calmed down a bit from yesterday. This controller might work, but can someone tell me this:

Are the buttons on the Rev Controller enough to play more complex games? Like Zelda and a fps game? How many buttons are there available compared to the GC controller?

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I like this, but it obviously wasn't very well thought out. I mean, why couldn't the 'remote' have had the button layout of a SNES controller? Like the N64 and GC controllers, the button layout makes abolutely NO sense.

Jonnyram

I haven't got time to read through 19 pages right now... I looked at the first page and saw a lot of uninspired initial reactions, but everyone at the conference was pretty excited about it because of the way it was shown. The video of people of different age groups playing different genres of games in front of the TV showed a really large potential for this product. I think Nintendo has found form. Really keen to know what the Home button does too.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
soundwave05 said:
I'm a hardcore player, but I'm losing interest in games. I barely play anymore.

But what interests me about Revolution is this is something I can see myself entertaining some friends/family with who don't play games.

And that's important, because I had some company over a while ago, and I have about $1000 worth of game hardware sitting around (PS2/XBox/GCN) and no one could play anything for sh-t.

We ended up playing cards, which is about as low tech as you can get, but it really made me realize what the hell is really the point of all the technology when you can't even enjoy it in that situation?

Maybe things just change as you get into your 20s. Revolution is something I can see playing with my girlfriend, cousins, sister, etc.
Same here.
Videogames are boring nowadays. I don't even care about them anymore.
When I was teenager, me and my friends would play endless hours of GoldenEye...then I'd go home and stay up playing Final Fantasy 7...but that time is over.

I don't know whether it's because I'm growing up or because videogames are just getting stale (maybe a bit of both), but something needs to change (ahem...'revolution').

This looks really _fun_.
Combined with nostalgic backwards comapitbility and I can really see this thing re-ignite the kid in me =P

The concept is there. Nintendo just has to execute now.

It'll be tough though...it's a great idea in theory, but they're really in untested waters. I question just how good this 'wand' controller is at sensing motions...and, if it really is sensitive, how forgiving games will be since this will be catered for all ages.

El Papa

The digital pad can be used for buttons if nothing else, so along with the analog add-on that makes 7 buttons that are easy to access; 3 triggers and the 4 D-pad directions. Plus, it looks like the big A button could also be easily reached which makes 8 total buttons. How many buttons does the GC and N64 controllers have? :)

Timbuktu

pjberri said:
I like this, but it obviously wasn't very well thought out. I mean, why couldn't the 'remote' have had the button layout of a SNES controller? Like the N64 and GC controllers, the button layout makes abolutely NO sense.

I'm not sure if this is why, but it struck me as being the first truly ambidextrous console controller ever.

Sunski

SantaCruZer said:
ok I calmed down a bit from yesterday. This controller might work, but can someone tell me this:

Are the buttons on the Rev Controller enough to play more complex games? Like Zelda and a fps game? How many buttons are there available compared to the GC controller?

Zelda = Easy.

Analog Stick plus 2 triggers = Movement and item useage. Remote Control and Trigger = Fighting / Actions.

Then you can press the Start button to Access the menu system and use the remote to point and scroll through the inventories and map screens. You could then zoom in or out of the map using the remote.

FPS = Even easier.

Analog for movement. 2 triggers for weapon switching and/or jumping.
Remote control for looking around and use the trigger to fire.
Again easily enough.

One thing - It is a shame Nintendo seems to have dropped the rumoured Mic content on the remote as it would have been perfect as a microphone for singstar style games and it would have then been ready for online action banter.

Sunski said:
One thing - It is a shame Nintendo seems to have dropped the rumoured Mic content on the remote as it would have been perfect as a microphone for singstar style games and it would have then been ready for online action banter.

I'm sure there will be an addon that you can plug in the controller (like the analog stick addon).

Cheebs

Zelda and Metroid Prime will be AMAZING on this. One thing though, I can't think of how to do it for Mario. Zelda and Metroid just seem to use this thing obviously. But a platformer I can't think of how yet. I know Nintendo will do something amazing though.

Mama Smurf

SantaCruZer said:

I was thinking of a Metroid Prime 3 control scheme last night, as I said, so I'll just throw this in here and you can get an idea of how it might work for FPS.

This requires the analogue attachment btw.

One hand

Analogue stick - Samus movement
Trigger 1 (is it called Z1?) - Morphball/Scan or other Visor usage
Trigger 2 (Z2) - button change button

Other hand

A button - Jump or Boost
B trigger - Fire or bomb/Missile
D pad - Visor select/Weapon select
Tilt sensory stuff - Aiming

The key to this set up is Z2, the button change button. While that's held, the buttons which have two jobs (the / ones) change to the different function.

Of course, if they want it to still have lock on, I'm sure you can fir that in too.

SantaC

Sunski said:
Zelda = Easy.

Analog Stick plus 2 triggers = Movement and item useage. Remote Control and Trigger = Fighting / Actions.

Then you can press the Start button to Access the menu system and use the remote to point and scroll through the inventories and map screens. You could then zoom in or out of the map using the remote.

FPS = Even easier.

Analog for movement. 2 triggers for weapon switching and/or jumping.
Remote control for looking around and use the trigger to fire.
Again easily enough.

Ok thanks, that sounds pretty good :)

I was thinking of a Metroid Prime 3 control scheme last night, as I said, so I'll just throw this in here and you can get an idea of how it might work for FPS.

This requires the analogue attachment btw.

One hand

Analogue stick - Samus movement
Trigger 1 (is it called Z1?) - Morphball/Scan or other Visor usage
Trigger 2 (Z2) - button change button

Other hand

A button - Jump or Boost
B trigger - Fire or bomb/Missile
D pad - Visor select/Weapon select
Tilt sensory stuff - Aiming

The key to this set up is Z2, the button change button. While that's held, the buttons which have two jobs (the / ones) change to the different function.

Of course, if they want it to still have lock on, I'm sure you can fir that in too.

Yeah sounds doable. No worries about lack of buttons I guess...

This controller may be better for FPS than even a mouse/keyboard (1UP.com already said much the same thing). That's not an issue. FPS is the last genre you should be worried about, this controller was made for FPS games.

Nintendo should ship each system with a classic controller shell that Iwata talked about.

That's a great idea, because it should cost Nintendo very little and solves the whole controller issue out right. You should be able to play any game on it. I'm hoping for an SNES button layout over the GC bean buttons though.

They should add a microphone port to the controller, but I'm guessing that'll be one of the attachment add-ons that you can buy or get for free with a game.

Yes, it certainly would work very well with a Zelda title. Imagine controlling the horse with the Analogue, and using the Remote to slash with the sword. Awesome.

Mama Smurf

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a game like Kirby DS seems perfectly possible on the Revolution to me. The only real difference I can see that'd have to be made is a pointer on screen as you won't actually be touching it and it's important to know exactly where you are and you'd have to hold down A or B to start drawing as you can't just touch the screen and go.

For normal 3D platformers...I'm not sure. The buttons are there to do it just like on the GC, but I think they might try something different. In that video we see a girl tilting the sensor up and we hear that making Mario jump. Now using the anaolgue attachment, you could move Mario around and have plenty of buttons on hand for changing jumps or crouching or whatever, plsu when you tilt it up maybe they height of your tilt influences how high Mario jumps. You'd either have to have a good automatic camera or the D pad would have to do it, but it seems like it could be done. I'd have to experience it to know if it'd be any good in reality, but it's an idea.

Might be better for a 2D platformer in fact. You'd only have to use the simple main controller, D pad for movement, tilting for jumping at different heights, B button to change speed and A button for...whatever. Power ups.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I cannot wait for Wario Ware Revolution. I just hope the Twisted!/Original team is working on it, should be hilarious.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Speaking of 2D platformers...anyone hope that Nintendo goes back and makes some of the classic mario games take advantage of the new controller? I know it would want to make me play them again.

Then again it could be better for 3D Marios too.

Flying in the 3D Marios sucked, but the Pilotwings demo Nintendo showed ... imagine controlling Mario flying around like that.

That would be sweet.

Iwata has said they are considering remaking the original Super Mario Bros. on the Revolution with new graphics, but they won't change the gameplay. That could change though I suppose.

Mama Smurf

soundwave05 said:
Then again it could be better for 3D Marios too.

Flying in the 3D Marios sucked, but the Pilotwings demo Nintendo showed ... imagine controlling Mario flying around like that.

That would be sweet.

How could I forget Star Fox! Thanks for the reminder, seems inevitable and should be sweet.

Didn't Magic Box mention Treasure is making a Sin & Punishment sequel? That would be perfect for the controller as well.

Punch-Out! is another no brainer.

Soul Calibur Revolution or a Star Wars fighter as well.

I have a feeling that Mario on the Revolution won't be 2D, but will play a lot more like the 2D Mario games in terms of pace/accessibility.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I wonder what kind of patents Nintendo has on this thing and its technology...

I know there have been "gyro mice" before, but (as everyone and their mother helpfully pointed out), they stunk. If Nintendo has created the "perfect" 3D immersion controller and gotten the concept patented... Sony and MS couldn't compete with it for a good 7 years.

If Nintendo can paint the future of gaming as "true interactivity" via the controller, and they can get the majority of the working concept locked up in patents...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OH MY GOD.

Nbots, you are making it WORSE. This level of denial is only going to encourage them. The next thing we get from Nintendo will be a controller that you eat.

I have learned three things from reading the posts here:

1. Nintendo has owned everyone by repeating the Famicom controller.
2. Regular controllers were totally uncomfortable and unworkable.
3. 3rd party publishers will embrace this!

Mama Smurf

I kind of hope Nintendo can't prevent it being copied. I want everyone to use it!

I don't see why there'd be a problem getting third party ports on the system generally, no more so than on the GC anyway...but I'm not sure how many will take advantage of the controller and I'm pretty certain hardly any that aren't exclusive will innovate. The only way that's going to change is if Nintendo become leader next gen or the other 2 (or just one of them) copies the idea.

SantaC

DavidDayton said:
I wonder what kind of patents Nintendo has on this thing and its technology...

I know there have been "gyro mice" before, but (as everyone and their mother helpfully pointed out), they stunk. If Nintendo has created the "perfect" 3D immersion controller and gotten the concept patented... Sony and MS couldn't compete with it for a good 7 years.

If Nintendo can paint the future of gaming as "true interactivity" via the controller, and they can get the majority of the working concept locked up in patents...

http://www.gyration.com/intl/uk/pr-nintendo_uk.htm

Saratoga, California, September 24, 2001 -- Gyration, Inc., a leading manufacturer of motion-sensing wireless input controllers for commercial and home entertainment markets, announced today that it has reached an agreement with premier electronic game developer Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Citat:
Gyration intends to be the first company to produce game controllers enhanced with gyroscopic motion-sensors, which have a tenfold performance increase over accelerometer tilt sensors and add the ability to sense yaw as well as pitch. A gyro-equipped, motion-sensing controller provides a natural method of game control that draws the player into the game and makes game play more enjoyable.

http://www.gyration.com/go24airmouse.htm

You can have it all with the GO 2.4 GHz Wireless Optical Mouse! Sit back and enjoy wireless freedom. This multipurpose mouse offers the ultimate in flexibility – the optical sensor allows you to use it on your desktop; the gyroscopic technology allows you to use it in the air. What a perfect combination for everyday computing, presentations, gaming, surfing the net and more!

I think everyone knows theirs potential, but what worries me is Nintendo continued obsession (starting with DS), of attracting non-gamers at the expense of hardcore gamers. I'll be honest, non-gamers may want simple games, but I don't. I enjoy games that take skill. We'll see where Nintendo takes this, but if it's a bunch a pointing gimmicks and simplistic games, I can't see how long-time gamers will be pleased.

I'll wait and see, and likely get it anyway though, but just like N64 and GC, I have no doubt that I will have fewer games for Rev than for x360 and PS3 at the end of this gen.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd say to everyone to just stop worrying about what will happen in the future and just let it come. There are enough talented guys out there to at least push their managers into an idea that will cause the ground to shake.. people keep ragging on about costs of games and such, but it never stopped the ICO's, Wario Ware's, or the Katamari's. The visionary's will decide what is capable with the Revolution.

Mama Smurf

Stinkles said:
This level of denial is only going to encourage them.

Denial! :lol If you could see how excited I am...it might be denial for some, I don't know, but for a lot of us we genuinally love this!

i havent read the thread....but after looking at that controller I see no way to play:

2d fighting games(street fighter)
3d fighting games
FPS games
Sport sims

honestly i think nintendo went too far this time.

I don't really see how the DS is alienating traditional players.

Advance Wars DS, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fantasy III, Goemon, are all classic franchises.

If it weren't for the DS, Nintendo probably wouldn't be going online for another couple of years either.

Kabuki Waq said:
i havent read the thread....but after looking at that controller I see no way to play:

2d fighting games(street fighter)
3d fighting games
FPS games
Sport sims

honestly i think nintendo went too far this time.

FPS games? Are you serious or do you posess zero imagination? This controller is built for FPS games. Iwata mentioned it several times during his speech.

1UP.com stated in their impressions that the Revolution controller might be better than even a mouse/keyboard setup after playing the Metroid demo.

As for those other genres ... as its been mentioned before Nintendo will be releasing a "classic" controller shell. You can slide the Revolution controller into it and it will have all the buttons you need to play any of those genres, no problem.

It looks like Nintendo is saying a big FU the the entire Fighting Game genre.

I can't forswee playing a Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, Tekken or Soul Calibur or any fighting game on the thing.... non-at all

If there was an option to be able to hold the controller sideways (like an old NES controller) then it would make things a tad easyer,, but i doubt it after seeing all the buttons layout.

and the free analog,,, WTF..... I want a solid firm grip on ONE controller,, not two flimsy grips on two seperate pieces.

Nintendo R.I.P.

You CAN play fighting games. Reading comprehension helps people. If anything this controller will kill the other systems for weapons based fighters (hello Namco and LucasArts).

And you can hold the controller horizontally :lol That's why the little b/a buttons are there, to mimic the NES controller.

Repetitive stress injuries would likely not occur. As IGN said, the controller is very sensitive. Nintendo could make the controller so sensitive that you don't have to perform the full length of any motion in order for it to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom