• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ infinite now out on PC, with full VR support, 20% discount at launch (19.99).

Well obviously I'm buying Rez for the third time, duh.

This is awesome and works great with my Oculus DK2, but the Area 2 boss is impossible when it goes behind you. The camera doesn't turn, and sitting on my couch I'd have to perform some extremely unhealthy maneuvers to actually aim at the boss - and when I try to do that, the boss is too close to me to actually aim. This was with the dynamic setting and I didn't try it with the other options yet.

LiK

I actually recommend playing it standard first. Cuz once you put on the VR, then it will blow you away even more.

Tain

Does the VR on PC have the same issue with the PSVR release, where everything is so huge and far away that positional tracking hardly even matters and there's a lessened sense of depth?

I'd love to just change the game's scale a bit.

jcjimher

I get this has native Steam Controller support, but I haven't found a way of controlling the cursor with any of the touchpads (left preferrably). Is it buried in the standard options? Or will I have to tinker with controller configurations?

P.S: Gyro aiming would be nice too...

Instabought. I had this on 360 but never played with headphones. Looking forward to it. What's the recommended control method for desktop play, mouse and keyboard or controller?
First timers: If you have the option, definitely play this baby in VR for your first playthrough.
I totally get this. I'm trying to take Mark's advice regarding RE7.. but it's just not sustainable skipping all these games until I get married a VR headset. I don't even know if I will get a VR unit in the next year.
Who still has a cassette player in 2017?
It's kind of a weird thing. I can't imagine Rez being created in the era of cassettes.

Durante

I was involved in playtesting this port and providing feedback, both for the screen version and the VR version.

Both are excellent in my opinion. The performance is fantastic (with full MSAA and high supersampling factors too).
Area X at 200% resolution and maximum glow is perhaps the single most visually outstanding thing I've seen in VR.

Also, if you enjoy playing VR stuff in full 360° immersion with no artificial rotation, you'll really appreciate the "auto-camera rotation OFF" setting. It's the one thing in the port that I'm pretty certain would not have been there without my feedback, and it does exactly what I wanted ;)

Does the VR on PC have the same issue with the PSVR release, where everything is so huge and far away that positional tracking hardly even matters and there's a lessened sense of depth?
I can't say I noticed anything like that. The bosses were huge.

Do vinyl LPs predate audio cassettes? It got a release there too.
Yeah but vinyl is a very fashionable way to consume music now. Cassettes are pretty niche, I feel like I only hear about cassettes when it is some nostalgic thing. Like a lot of vaporwave music I listen to releases on cassette but part of that is because the genre has roots in 80s new age music.

Sami+

I'm having the same problem. Sending everybody the same Steam key wouldn't surprise me with iam8bit. The last five of my steam key are VLX6L for comparison.

How are they still in business? Lol. I bought my buddy the TLG vinyl for his birthday and not only was it delayed for months, but when it final list arrived it sounded like dumpster garbage. I was genuinely docked at how poor their service is.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Yeah but vinyl is a very fashionable way to consume music now. Cassettes are pretty niche, I feel like I only hear about cassettes when it is some nostalgic thing. Like a lot of vaporwave music I listen to releases on cassette but part of that is because the genre has roots in 80s new age music.

I'm a bit confused about it being released on cassette as well. This isn't the vaporwave scene, just do vinyl and CD.

Sami+

I was involved in playtesting this port and providing feedback, both for the screen version and the VR version.

Both are excellent in my opinion. The performance is fantastic (with full MSAA and high supersampling factors too).
Area X at 200% resolution and maximum glow is perhaps the single most visually outstanding thing I've seen in VR.

Also, if you enjoy playing VR stuff in full 360° immersion with no artificial rotation, you'll really appreciate the "auto-camera rotation OFF" setting. It's the one thing in the port that I'm pretty certain would not have been there without my feedback, and it does exactly what I wanted ;)

Does the game support Ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio? I take it "arbitrary resolution" means yes but just wanna be sure.

Tain

Nice! That option alone pretty much confirms a purchase from me, that sounds like the ideal way to play.

And good to hear about the scale. It could be that the higher resolution and/or more accurate tracking on PC fixes that issue on its own.

The controls with the vive wands are a bit funky since you're only controlling the reticle on the X/Y coordinates with a 3D Motion device. Couple that with the headset moving the reticle and you'll run into some trouble. I recommend a wireless gamepad and controlling it with just your head movements since you'll only be using the A and B buttons.

Durante

I don't really know what DF is talking about with regards to the VR framerate.

This is the game running on my Vive (the left half of the chart):
rez_infinitevyb31.png

That's not what something locked to 60 FPS would look like.

The controls with the vive wands are a bit funky since you're only controlling the reticle on the X/Y coordinates with a 3D Motion device. Couple that with the headset moving the reticle and you'll run into some trouble. I recommend a wireless gamepad and controlling it with just your head movements since you'll only be using the A and B buttons.
I recommend you do none of that but rather select the option to control it exclusively with the VR controllers. It's perfect.

Man, I -just- bought this a couple of days ago on PS4. Luckily was able to get a "one-time gesture of goodwill" refund, but I'd be pretty mad if I didn't.

...who am I kidding I bought this instantly.

oK, just played it.

Holy shit...this game is SO much better in VR. It's like VR is the perfect place for it.

This makes me really want Child of Eden in VR. That game would be even more sublime.

Game is a bit easier in VR, but not because it's easier, but the controller holds holds back freedom you get by just using your hand. The only thing that would make Rez cooler in VR is if it let you have Dual aim (both left and hand) and they balanced the amount of enemies on screen around 2 aims. But I mean, that's asking for too much. I know.

Man.....this is so worth 19.99. this also makes me want Panzer Dragoon orta in VR now too.

robotrock

Banned
The VR is good but there seems to be an inherent limitation with Rez Classic and VR. Same issue on PSVR. You see a "double image" effect while playing that makes it seem as if they simply interpolate 60hz up to 90hz or 120. It's akin to playing at 30fps on a 60hz display - only twice that. I think it's a legacy issue. Still awesome in VR, though.

Area X, on the other hand, is a perfect 90hz on PC when using VR and feels incredible. Buttery smooth.

Do you think the PSVR expereince might appear smoother than the Oculus/Vive one because of the way PSVR handeld 60 -> 120hz? since oculus and vive is probably 60 -> 90hz

RedSwirl

Not to gloat but it seems I was vindicated in passing up the PS4 version.

Luckily I also decided to hold off on spending that Steam money I recently acquired.

I just bought this and played through the first level + about 10 minutes in area X with my Oculus. It looks amazing and controls really well with the touch controllers. I'm extremely happy to have bought this game for the 3rd time to get the ultimate version since I don't have PSVR. Would recommend to anyone with a VR headset.

Also do set it to controller aiming only instead of hybrid head / controller aiming. The touch controllers work great

LiK

Awe man....area 4! the memories! this area was always my favorite.

god, I hope they are working on a child of eden for VR. that game is so tailor made for it.

Do they own CoE? I forget. I hope so. I always felt like it was a sequel to Rez. Some really good tracks in it too.

Izuna

Banned
I don't really know what DF is talking about with regards to the VR framerate.

This is the game running on my Vive (the left half of the chart):
rez_infinitevyb31.png

That's not what something locked to 60 FPS would look like.

I recommend you do none of that but rather select the option to control it exclusively with the VR controllers. It's perfect.

Maybe they are seeing ASW?

Top Bottom