• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This show is just depressing now and none of the characters are remotely likeable. I get that's what they're going for, but it's not really fun to watch three total assholes + Beth and Jerry...be total assholes for 20 minutes.

Episode was a little too "warm" for my taste (way more heart then R&M should ever have), but if it sets up future stuff then fine? Robot Morty was the best part.

Let's call this a minor road bump. Pickle Rick looks hilarious.

Feel like this show is starting its jump of shark. Totally didn't care for this episode so we shall see.

You can tell they focused far more on that series premier. This one was a bit disappointing in comparison since this is the one we had to wait 4 months longer for after getting a taste of that sweet premier.

That being said, it's super early in the season and for all we know this episode just laid the ground work for bigger payoffs in the later episodes.

I thought Ep 2 was plenty enjoyable but not even close to the best episodes of the series.

vypek

I actually enjoyed the episode. Surprised that so many dislike it here. Wasn't the funniest but it seemed to be on part with plenty of other episodes and was genuinely entertaining.

You can tell they focused far more on that series premier. This one was a bit disappointing in comparison since this is the one we had to wait 4 months longer for after getting a taste of that sweet premier.

That being said, it's super early in the season and for all we know this episode just laid the ground work for bigger payoffs in the later episodes.

I thought Ep 2 was plenty enjoyable but not even close to the best episodes of the series.
It clearly was. The whole point of the episode was showing how everyone was dealing with the divorce. The Mad Max stuff was just window dressing

HariKari

This show is just depressing now and none of the characters are remotely likeable. I get that's what they're going for, but it's not really fun to watch three total assholes + Beth and Jerry...be total assholes for 20 minutes.

I'm not sure where you get that impression. Only Rick qualifies as a real asshole, and even then he is now showing some signs of tenderness and internal conflict over having caused the divorce. He is the "rickest rick" and meant to represent true rick on the spectrum of ricks, so they're wanting to show he's not completely irredeemable.

The first episode wiped the slate clean. They wrote the prison ending in S2 in a rush because they couldn't figure out a satisfying finale, so Ep1 is them tidying that up in a brilliant way. S3E2 starts setting up the rest of the season: Beth is wondering if she made the right choice, Summer and Morty will act out while trying to understand the divorce and why it's happening, Jerry will have to learn to be on his own and find his own happiness, Rick will have to evaluate whether he is ultimately bad for the family or not.

The core conflict in R&M is actually a pretty well written story about an average family that is falling apart due to Rick and the personalities of Beth and Jerry. Any adventure they go on is just an excuse to learn more about the characters. Summer taking a lover and rebelling + Morty going on a killing spree doesn't make them assholes, it just makes them kids trying to cope with their parents divorcing. Beth and Jerry have both had moments were they were assholes, but it's never malicious and they represent a deeply flawed relationship - the kind you'd expect to be built around a shotgun wedding. Only Rick crosses into genuinely dark "asshole" territory and even he has shown flashes of caring.

There's more there if you look.

F!ReW!Re

I don't get this? Are you guys paying attention?
That's the whole point of this episode;
Everyone's depressed and totally not handling the divorce in a healthy way (except Jerry it seems). It's setting up the rest of the season.
Summer went furiosa to vent, Morty joined armithy in the thunderdome (excuse me blooddome), Rick is in denial and replaced the kids with robots and Beth is crying/drinking.

I'm not saying you guys have to like something but I would wait it out a few more episodes and see if the pay off was worth it. (I did really like this ep myself)

Narroo

at least beth manages to hold a job

You know....enabling a murderous psycho and putting your kids in mortal danger because of abandonment issues is a lot worse than unemployment because you're an idiot. Since when is employment the sole worth of a person?

On an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that Rick is responsible for some of Jerry's idiocy or misfortunes. I could totally imagine a twist where we find out that Rick shot him with stupidity gun just to get rid of him. See:

e609883f6da286480f20299e1edc8dc8--calvin-and-hobbes-comic-strips.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You know....enabling a murderous psycho and putting your kids in mortal danger because of abandonment issues is a lot worse than unemployment because you're an idiot. Since when is employment the sole worth of a person?

On an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that Rick is responsible for some of Jerry's idiocy or misfortunes. I could totally imagine a twist where we find out that Rick shot him with stupidity gun just to get rid of him. See:

e609883f6da286480f20299e1edc8dc8--calvin-and-hobbes-comic-strips.jpg

its obvious for some reason that rick is intimidated by jerry. hell ricks seem to out of their way to fuck with jerrys. im sure theres something hierarchal to it like summers being more valuable that mortys

zeemumu

at least beth manages to hold a job

She's really insecure about how necessary her job is, just like how Jerry is insecure about his coin collection.

Also it's probably not gonna turn out well when your surgeon is an alchoholic

That's 90% of the episodes. Anything dealing with Rick's past, anything involving Beth and Jerry's marriage, the stuff that goes on on the side like the androids gaining sentience and Abridolf Lincler, and a good chunk of Summer's adventures are incredibly depressing when you think about them. Morty is the only one with primarily comical adventures and even then he's gotten into some dark shit.

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone know the timeframe from end of season to Blu Ray release that they usually do with this show? Do they do it quickly? Or make you wait?

Mazre

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone know the timeframe from end of season to Blu Ray release that they usually do with this show? Do they do it quickly? Or make you wait?

Season 1 End: April 14, 2014
Season 1 DVD/BD: October 7, 2014
Approx 6 month wait

Season 2 End: October 4, 2015
Season 2 DVD/BD: June 7, 2016
Approx 8 month wait

So not start of next season like some shows but not immediately either.

Season 1 End: April 14, 2014
Season 1 DVD/BD: October 7, 2014
Approx 6 month wait

Season 2 End: October 4, 2015
Season 2 DVD/BD: June 7, 2016
Approx 8 month wait

So not start of next season like some shows but not immediately either.

Damn that's a bummer. Maybe I'll just spend $20 on Amazon for infinite rewatches now, and get the Blu Ray later. Sounds silly, but I rewatch all the time, It's not a terrible way for me to spend my money based on how much entertainment I get from the show.

Thanks for the info.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
She's really insecure about how necessary her job is, just like how Jerry is insecure about his coin collection.

Also it's probably not gonna turn out well when your surgeon is an alchoholic

That's 90% of the episodes. Anything dealing with Rick's past, anything involving Beth and Jerry's marriage, the stuff that goes on on the side like the androids gaining sentience and Abridolf Lincler, and a good chunk of Summer's adventures are incredibly depressing when you think about them. Morty is the only one with primarily comical adventures and even then he's gotten into some dark shit.

because weve seen marty being broken piece by piece over the course of the series. from damning a timeline, to handling his dead corpse, to the fascination of learning that his relationship with rick is multiversal, to finding out WHY his relationship is multiversal. its a wonder we havent seen more ourtbursts like on the purge planet or when he headshotted rick. the kid is fucked up

because weve seen marty being broken piece by piece over the course of the series. from damning a timeline, to handling his dead corpse, to the fascination of learning that his relationship with rick is multiversal, to finding out WHY his relationship is multiversal. its a wonder we havent seen more ourtbursts like on the purge planet or when he headshotted rick. the kid is fucked up
Hehe, this made me laugh more than it should

Violet_0

Banned
I think The Purge episodes was better (while still not great). It just ridiculed the frankly hilarious premise of the movies without actually trying to replicate and parody the source material. I disliked that they used some actual characters from Fury Road

Blues1990

With watching the most recent episode, I wish Jerry would've just followed Doofus Rick to his universe. The guy is far from perfect, but is honestly the most rational person in this series.

The_Kid

I mean I didn't consider it to be bad, just not as good as the premeire.

Which is fine, not every episode can be the best. Way tol eary to say it jumped the shark (really?)

I thought the episode was actually pretty great. Stand-alone, yet setting up plot points for future episodes. It was well written in how everyone is coping with the divorce their own way.

Top Bottom