• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

NimbusD

While the super specific mad Max parody was a bit off-putting, I like the focus on actual human emotion for the characters and I'm excited to see where this goes.

I will say tho there were quite a few jokes that gave me family Guy vibes. A little worried I that regard, but I have faith.

Damn this episode was pretty grim. It definitely lacked the comedy other episodes have had, specifically the beginning, but I thought the ending was pretty humorous and the emotional beats ended well. It certainly feels like a set-up episode though now that Jerry is officially out of the house and everyone is okay with the divorce.

I don't think it's grim, it's just the kids not knowing how to act in the divorce and acting out. I mean Morty makes it obvious fairly early on. It's an episode with a difficult subject and the ultimate message was sweet in its own way as they all learn to deal with their emotions over it.

What's messed up is that Jerry just continues to be the show's punching bag. It's funny sure, but he shouldn't just be MISERABLE, at least I'm hoping he's able to get a job and live a moderately ok single dad life.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Robot morty... Both "haha! My sister died I her spagheettttti..." and his huge rant follow by a power cycle and a quick and emotionless "hello." Had me crying...

It's like "I'll always remember you - MEMORY DELETED" only darker by miles...

Lol the conversation with murderHand before the final kill as well :-D

Fuck I love this show...

Ri'Orius

Liked the episode overall, but did Summer's trip to Seattle seem rushed to anyone else? Like, travel and murder combined took place over a couple hours. Was the Bloodreaperwhatever camp in Tacoma or something?

Let's just agree the episode is divisive. Each season has at least 1. I mean last season had their second attempt at the channel surfing episode and that shit was horrible.

Belfast

Let's just agree the episode is divisive. Each season has at least 1. I mean last season had their second attempt at the channel surfing episode and that shit was horrible.

It all comes down to some abstract expectation of "laffs per minute" that varies from person to person combined with the good old internet hyperbole machine.

Some people come into a show like Rick and Marty because of the humor, but can't hang with the drama, and when the balance is shifted away from comedy, that somehow means an episode was shit.

But it's not just limited to R&M. This seems to happen with a lot of things and, in my experience, is more problematic for American audiences who can't reconcile the two.

Interdimensional Cable 2 was an episode I hated the first time and have loved after each rewatch. There's just a lot of jokes and stuff that goes unnoticed in the skits the first time around. Lil Bits, in particular, is one of the shows funniest moments the more you watch it. Jerry's story was also exceptionally funny that episode.

Interdimensional Cable 2 was an episode I hated the first time and have loved after each rewatch. There's just a lot of jokes and stuff that goes unnoticed in the skits the first time around. Lil Bits, in particular, is one of the shows funniest moments the more you watch it. Jerry's story was also exceptionally funny that episode.

The cable stuff was mixed, but the Jerry stuff fell completely flat.

Kthulhu

Damn this episode was pretty grim. It definitely lacked the comedy other episodes have had, specifically the beginning, but I thought the ending was pretty humorous and the emotional beats ended well. It certainly feels like a set-up episode though now that Jerry is officially out of the house and everyone is okay with the divorce.

They did say it was the darkest year of their adventures.

eXistor

People thought this was a depressing episide? It was a laugh-riot from beginning to end. Sometimes I wonder if we're watching the same show. Of course there's the overarching plot of the divorce and its effects, but it was done mostly with levity and not with any weight to it. To me this was nothing but a light, fun episode.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought it did well to bridge the divorce stuff with the typical craziness of the series. 👍

wow in the reactions in here, talk about taking this way too seriously!

I laughed during the whole episode, it's not because it touches serious subject that you can't laugh at it! And this is coming frome someone with divorced parents (i had the same age as morty at the time)

Oxn

It all comes down to some abstract expectation of "laffs per minute" that varies from person to person combined with the good old internet hyperbole machine.

Some people come into a show like Rick and Marty because of the humor, but can't hang with the drama, and when the balance is shifted away from comedy, that somehow means an episode was shit.

But it's not just limited to R&M. This seems to happen with a lot of things and, in my experience, is more problematic for American audiences who can't reconcile the two.

Great assessment

Really enjoyed this one, but I hope they don't expect me to actually care about Rick, Morty or Summer, who are now full-on multiple murderers. See, if they try to make me feel sympathy for these characters now, that's going to be an uphill struggle.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Really enjoyed this one, but I hope they don't expect me to actually care about Rick, Morty or Summer, who are now full-on multiple murderers. See, if they try to make me feel sympathy for these characters now, that's going to be an uphill struggle.

The series begins with Rick threatening genocide on all of humanity. Kinda don't think these are characters we are supposed to like for their upstanding morality.

Well, that was what I wanted. For them to start taking shit seriously. I am willing to see where it goes. That episode was more cohesive than the rest of the show.

Violet_0

Banned
they're just robots, Lord British. It's okay to shoot them

The series begins with Rick threatening genocide on all of humanity. Kinda don't think these are characters we are supposed to like for their upstanding morality.

Sure, and I didn't really find it moving in the slightest when the show tried to hit that tone before! Morty was the sort of "voice of reason" so to speak, Summer was basically a normal teenage girl. I mean, basically. But now, no, all killers. It's a strange decision.

I'm not moralising, I just really hope they don't try another "Hurt" ending because it's going to mean jack shit to me at this point. :p Just my perspective. I thought it was a really strong episode.

they're just robots, Lord British. It's okay to shoot them

It's a figure of speech Morty, I mean they're bureaucrats, I don't respect them.

Wiped89

No Netflix seriously what are you playing at? Why is this still not up in the uk?

Are you really that entitled that you are whining it isn't on Netflix UK immediately?

I discovered the first ep of S3 last night and was thrilled. I didn't expect Netflix to get it for about a year. I can wait a week.

Stalk

Are you really that entitled that you are whining it isn't on Netflix UK immediately?

I discovered the first ep of S3 last night and was thrilled. I didn't expect Netflix to get it for about a year. I can wait a week.

I mean, the fact that a lot of shows are within a few hours of airing in the US, it's a little naff. I too can wait but not sure why it's got the week delay.

The week delay seems arbitrary. What's the point? It doesn't need to get translated or otherwise edited for the UK.

Even Sy-Fy is airing shit hours after the US, Netflix really fucked up here.

The week delay seems arbitrary. What's the point? It doesn't need to get translated or otherwise edited for the UK.

Even Sy-Fy is airing shit hours after the US, Netflix really fucked up here.

think about the countries where we won't get a show on netflix like several months, or even a year later!

Surprised (I know I shouldn’t) at the amount of hate this episode seems to be getting, I loved it and thought it was a great way to establish the characters mind sets for this season.

Also the after credits scene had me in tears, it was just so Jerry to stumble across a sentient wolf that feeds on misery. The delivery was just perfect too:

“You want this food? No? You want my social security cheque? But that’s just a piece of paper, this will give you nourishment. Oh my suffering gives you nourishment?”
Amazing stuff

Wtf, I'm shocked there's a mixed reaction, thought it was typical 'firing on all cylinders" Rick and morty. I have zero complaints, ep was great.

Lupercal

Banned

And Homer Simpson is a alcoholic abusive parent who's probably gotten multiple people killed.

This still isn't real life and you've got to get in the mindset of the show.

And Homer Simpson is a alcoholic abusive parent who's probably gotten multiple people killed.

This still isn't real life and you've got to get in the mindset of the show.

Homer Simpson is generally portrayed as a docile moron in a show with no continuity, though.

Rick and Morty has continuity and I personally feel that making Morty and Summer unrepentant killers (gleefully so, in the case of the latter) fundamentally changes them and I hope the show is going to address that before it puts sad music over them making sad faces again and expects me to give a shit.

Last thing I want to do is argue the toss about this, it's just a jarring decision for me. I enjoyed the episode, I enjoy the series. I've seen every episode, I dig it.

Veelk

Banned
I don't really have a problem with Morty and Summer's fucked up morality, since they live in a universe where basically everyone has underlying misanthropic hatred toward everyone. They're just normal people in an evil universe, which means they are evil too by default. But they're like that because their victims of having to live their lives in a world that torments people until they lash out and they can't really do anything about that.

It's Rick that I think is wierd they keep trying to argue is not evil. Specifically I think the season 3 premiere. "Everything real turns fake, everything right is wrong. All you know is that you know nothing and he knows everything. And well, he's not a villain, Summer, but he shouldn't be your hero. He's more like a demon, or a super fucked-up god." They keep painting it like the possibility that he might care about Summer and Morty in some small moticrumical way means "Oh, well, he's not all that bad." For me, even if he does, he's still an excessively evil bastard.

And he just doesn't have as much of an excuse. The show implies that it's possible something fucked up happened to him to make him how he is like it does with everyone else, but even if that's true, Rick is among the most powerful people in this universe, to the point where he can take on an entire empire of his other selves with calm efficiency. The world he inhabits no longer has the power to hurt him the way it can others, but instead he just uses his power to cause untold harm into everyone else, in the end just becoming another agent of misery of the universe.

They already tried to play some stuff up for sympathy, like the season 2 finale where he turned himself in for his family, and I didn't feel much for him. Space Prison is where he belonged, even if it ultimately could not hope to hold him.

number11

I mean, the fact that a lot of shows are within a few hours of airing in the US, it's a little naff. I too can wait but not sure why it's got the week delay.

It is weird how the second episode isn't up. If episode 1 released normally, I'm sure Netflix wouldn't delay the episode by a week.

UberTag

For what it's worth the exact same debates were erupting on the 'Net some 25 years ago regarding classic Simpsons episodes that are practically revered today simply because they decided to emphasize plot and character focus over the comedy. There will always be a disconnect with certain audiences when this happens.

I don't really have a problem with Morty and Summer's fucked up morality, since they live in a universe where basically everyone has underlying misanthropic hatred toward everyone. They're just normal people in an evil universe, which means they are evil too by default. But they're like that because their victims of having to live their lives in a world that torments people until they lash out and they can't really do anything about that.

It's Rick that I think is wierd they keep trying to argue is not evil. Specifically I think the season 3 premiere. "Everything real turns fake, everything right is wrong. All you know is that you know nothing and he knows everything. And well, he’s not a villain, Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked-up god." They keep painting it like the possibility that he might care about Summer and Morty in some small moticrumical way means "Oh, well, he's not all that bad." For me, even if he does, he's still an excessively evil bastard.

And he just doesn't have as much of an excuse. The show implies that it's possible something fucked up happened to him to make him how he is like it does with everyone else, but even if that's true, Rick is among the most powerful people in this universe, to the point where he can take on an entire empire of his other selves with calm efficiency. The world he inhabits no longer has the power to hurt him the way it can others, but instead he just uses his power to cause untold harm into everyone else, in the end just becoming another agent of misery of the universe.

They already tried to play some stuff up for sympathy, like the season 2 finale where he turned himself in for his family, and I didn't feel much for him. Space Prison is where he belonged, even if it ultimately could not hope to hold him.

It's not about "evil" or "good" with Rick and I don't even know how much sympathy the show intends the viewer to have for him.

Rick is powerful enough to make his own morality and often does. He's an ubermensch. The tension or tragedy or dynamic or whatever you want to call it about his character is his failing to completely jettison his provincial human morality. You're not really meant to decide whether he's good or not, it's kind of a nonsense question for characters like this. It just makes him interesting.

Yeah, that was a fantastic episode.

Adult Swim should cancel every other shitty show on the network and have everyone produce more Rick & Morty episodes always forever.

Doomsayer

That was a great episode. I didn't expect it to get so much hate here.

Here is my hot take: I think this show is going to fall victim to the hype, not their own, but the hype we create. Most of us are going into this season with an almost insurmountable hype and when you couple that with the stellar premier we had, it's a recipe for a show not living up to the hype that we create for it.

I can this episode being one of the weaker episodes in the season but it wasn't a bad episode... at all.

Sure, and I didn't really find it moving in the slightest when the show tried to hit that tone before! Morty was the sort of "voice of reason" so to speak, Summer was basically a normal teenage girl. I mean, basically. But now, no, all killers. It's a strange decision.

I'm not moralising, I just really hope they don't try another "Hurt" ending because it's going to mean jack shit to me at this point. :p Just my perspective. I thought it was a really strong episode.
Being aware of the vastness and insignificance of the multiverse and being able to do anything and solve any problem with technology and witness horrific violence on a regular basis will do that to you

Tawpgun

Loved Jerry this episode. I wonder if the divorce will give him a small redemption arc to go from 'loser' to 'lovable loser'

After S3E1 I honestly assumed they were writing him off the show. But he shows up in other places in the S3 trailer so guess they have other stuff planned for him.

I'm also not sold on Summer coming on adventures. This is Rick and Morty! They are radicalizing a Summer!

Top Bottom