• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Violet_0

Banned
This season is 100% better than last for me. Some of these comments make me wonder if we're watching the same show

last season had Mortynight Run, Auto Erotic Assimilation, Total Rickal and The Ricks Must Be Crazy. It will be tough to beat this

I don't know.. I'm enjoying the season a lot. I love the show but don't go crazy over it. I'll watch a new episode when I get around to it and never hype myself up (for anything in general). *shrugs* it's good.

Ernest

Banned
What? How?

It might be the second worst R&M episode after the Mad Max one. It was good animated and okay to see Rick wreck shit but Rick brutally killing nameless rats and humans for no reason at all is not what i want from Rick and Morty.
If that's all you got out of it, I feel sorry for you. It was a meticulously crafted episode, dealing with some deep emotional issues (also entertaining as hell). I watched it 5 times in one week, and kept pulling new things out of it. Here, read this, as he gets into why it was so brilliant.

LotusHD

Banned
This season is 100% better than last for me. Some of these comments make me wonder if we're watching the same show

I dunno if it's better (Because Rick and Morty is that rare show where I'm not obsessing over which season was best, and I enjoy most episodes), but yea, been enjoying every episode. They going for the Bojack approach this season, and I'm loving it lol

Raziel

The pickle rick episode had one of the best scenes of the entire show. The one where Dr Wong completely nails Rick whilst he's sat there as a fucking pickle, and you're waiting for a witty burn from Rick but then you realise Dr Wong has got it so spot on about Rick that even Rick can't come back with a joke so has to sit there and just accept everything she says.

The show is still great.

That was the weakest part for me of an otherwise really entertaining episode. Not a fan of therapist character device on shows that explain to the audience the psychology and motivations of the show's characters. Feels like I'm just listening to the screenwriter.

The family melodrama is really at the forefront so far this season.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I usually don't get this into show development, but looking at an overview of the seasons with what I know, it looks like the next episode "The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy" (episode 5) and "Tales from the Citadel" (Episode 7) could be good. Those episodes are being written by Ryan Ridley.

Ryan Ridley wrote:
"Lawnmower Dog"
"Meeseeks and Destroy"
"Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind"
"Auto Erotic Assimilation"
"Ricksy Business" (co-wrote)

and wow they really did go with new writers lol. Season 3 Episode 1 was written by Mike McMahan who did "Total Rickall" and "Something Ricked This Way Comes". Season 3 episodes 2,3, and 4 were all written by new writers that came in for the third season.

"The Rickshank Rickdemption"
Directed by: Juan Meza-León
Written by: Mike McMahan
"Rickmancing the Stone"
Directed by: Dominic Polcino
Written by: Jane Becker
"Pickle Rick"
Directed by: Anthony Chun
Written by: Jessica Gao
"Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender"
Directed by: Bryan Newton
Written by: Sarah Carbiener & Erica Rosbe

BashNasty

Reading through the last page of this thread was like wading into some surreal alternate universe where Rick and Morty season 3 is bad... which I suppose makes a sort of sense. But yea, I can't understand how people would think an episode like "Pickle Rick" is terrible. That episode was both incredibly fun to watch and whip-smart. Easily one of the best episodes of TV I've seen this year.

HariKari

Reading through the last page of this thread was like wading into some surreal alternate universe where Rick and Morty season 3 is bad... which I suppose makes a sort of sense. But yea, I can't understand how people would think an episode like "Pickle Rick" is terrible. That episode was both incredibly fun to watch and whip-smart. Easily one of the best episodes of TV I've seen this year.

It's not bad. The show has a ways to go before it's not worth watching. But put these last 3 episodes up against Mortynight Run, Auto Erotic Assimilation, and Total Rickall. They just don't compare.

The thing they are missing now is a bit of heart and catharsis. Hopefully that starts to show up, starting next episode with Jerry.

Not

Banned
All these episodes have been good.

I've yet to watch an episode of Rick and Morty that was like, 'that was a waste of my time.' Except maybe, MAYBE, the pilot and two-thirds of Raising Gazorpazorp. Even the lazy Mad Max and Purge ones were enjoyable.

I don't get the rush to blame a random, unquantifiable sense of "offness" on new writers. Well, I do know where it's coming from most of the time. But GAF filters out misogynists pretty quick, so in this case I confess I'm baffled.

Xe4

Banned
It's not bad. The show has a ways to go before it's not worth watching. But put these last 3 episodes up against Mortynight Run, Auto Erotic Assimilation, and Total Rickall. They just don't compare.

The thing they are missing now is a bit of heart and catharsis. Hopefully that starts to show up, starting next episode with Jerry.

You putting three average (by R&M standards) episodes against the 3 best episodes of season 2 is kind of misleading and ignores how the second half of season 2 was really middling.

Also, people were complaining that the show was worse in season 2 as well.

Lothars

What? How?

It might be the second worst R&M episode after the Mad Max one. It was good animated and okay to see Rick wreck shit but Rick brutally killing nameless rats and humans for no reason at all is not what i want from Rick and Morty.
I honestly don't know how anyone can say that either the Mad Max or Pickle Rick are bad episodes. Pickle Rick is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. It's just a great episode.

Raziel

I usually don't get this into show development, but looking at an overview of the seasons with what I know, it looks like the next episode "The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy" (episode 5) and "Tales from the Citadel" (Episode 7) could be good. Those episodes are being written by Ryan Ridley.

Ryan Ridley wrote:
"Lawnmower Dog"
"Meeseeks and Destroy"

and wow they really did go with new writers lol. Season 3 Episode 1 was written by Mike McMahan who did "Total Rickall" and "Something Ricked This Way Comes". Season 3 episodes 2,3, and 4 were all written by new writers that came in for the third season.

"Rickmancing the Stone"
"Pickle Rick"

That actually makes a lot of sense. Ep 1 has easily been the best so far.

I think its actually more of a "mainstream" thing. When shows get hugely popular, particularly here on gaf, theres definitely more range to the opinions. Even shows that are universally loved will rightfully have negative comments.

Its more fascinating seeing that this show is hitting the mainstream now.

That Vindicators episode is probably the weakest R&M episode yet. It's not actively bad, but it's not particularly funny, and there was some seriously iffy characterisation going on. Rick is now dangerously close to being Flanderized, which is quite concerning three seasons into the show. The superheros were more frustrating to watch than enjoyable, since they were so hostile to everyone including each other.

The ep has its moments ("half-a million ants and half-collapsing star", Ghost Train, and Noob-Noob) but otherwise it was fairly predictable, with an incredibly lazy ending. And I much as I love Noob-Noob, he is essentially a pallete swapped version of Mr. Poopybutthole. The absence of a B-story was palpable, and the lack of Jerry this season is hurting the show (though the next episode looks to rectify that). I actually like the first three episodes, but something about this season overall definitely feels off.

It feels like they're trying too hard to please the audience. They need to get back to what made the show great in the first place: Just making shit up as they go along.

Owari

Ryan Ridley wrote:
"Lawnmower Dog"
"Meeseeks and Destroy"

"Rickmancing the Stone"
"Pickle Rick"

Thank God, the new writers suck.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just caught up with the most recent episode,.

"Pretty toothless stuff, guys".

Like with the quite a lot of what we've seen of Season 3 so far, I was left pretty disappointed by this. In general, I feel this show has long since settled into this tired rut of constantly discussing Rick's nihilistic, amoral tendencies, punctuated by graphically depicting endless waves of hyper-violence...concluding with subtly hinting about Rick's more vulnerable nature ("He really does care about his grandkids!") by hitting upon exactly the same emotional beats. They seem to be mining exactly the same subtextual material over and over again, at the expense of doing anything different with the characters emotionally. Somewhat ironically considering it's genre-shifting nature, this show seems to have developed an aversion to exploring anything other but the same, bone-tired thematic ground. It's become so heavy and deconstructionist in its approach....it's lost the relative looseness and chaotic sense of adventure that made the first two seasons so endearing.

Even as an episode that appeared to define itself as something as a deconstruction on superheroes...this episode was pretty aimless in its approach outside of vaguely dismissing the superheroes as generic and badly written, utilizing a watered-down Garth Ennis-style approach of depicting the Vindicators as professional and gracious in public, whilst depicting them as cowardly, self-serving and hypocritical the moment shit hits the fan. Outside of doing what's been done a thousand times before by a number of better writers for literally decades though, as something of a superhero parody, this story didn't have anything original or insightful to say about the superhero genre...to such an extent that when Rick proclaims himself to be a "much more complex" as a character than his superhero colleagues, the boast carries next to no weight considering the character has become as trite and predictable (not to mention as franchisable) as the big-budget adventurers he proclaims to criticize.

Obviously, we're not even at the half-way point yet with this season, so there are still a lot of opportunities for it to pick itself up...but all in all, I found this particular episode thoroughly underwhelming.

I'm enjoying season 3, but it feels almost too structured.

Missing a lot of that abstract craziness that made season 1 and 2 so good.

They throw in random bits here and there, but those seem forced.

Season 3 has made some funny moments, but it doesn't compare to what we got at the starts of season 1 and 2. Hopefully it picks up.

vypek

Curious if there is any connection to people bingeing the show and catching up to their distaste of the recent episodes and watching week to week and seeing the episodes largely the same as the rest of the series.

Everything that has happened in these past episodes of this season have been very much the same to me as the rest of the series and doesn't seem like any big divergence.

caliph95

Just caught up with the most recent episode,.

"Pretty toothless stuff, guys".

Like with the quite a lot of what we've seen of Season 3 so far, I was left pretty disappointed by this. In general, I feel this show has long since settled into this tired rut of constantly discussing Rick's nihilistic, amoral tendencies, punctuated by graphically depicting endless waves of hyper-violence...concluding with subtly hinting about Rick's more vulnerable nature ("He really does care about his grandkids!") by hitting upon exactly the same emotional beats. They seem to be mining exactly the same subtextual material over and over again, at the expense of doing anything different with the characters emotionally. Somewhat ironically considering it's genre-shifting nature, this show seems to have developed an aversion to exploring anything other but the same, bone-tired thematic ground. It's become so heavy and deconstructionist in its approach....it's lost the relative looseness and chaotic sense of adventure that made the first two seasons so endearing.

Even as an episode that appeared to define itself as something as a deconstruction on superheroes...this episode was pretty aimless in its approach outside of vaguely dismissing the superheroes as generic and badly written, utilizing a watered-down Garth Ennis-style approach of depicting the Vindicators as professional and gracious in public, whilst depicting them as cowardly, self-serving and hypocritical the moment shit hits the fan. Outside of doing what's been done a thousand times before by a number of better writers for literally decades though, as something of a superhero parody, this story didn't have anything original or insightful to say about the superhero genre...to such an extent that when Rick proclaims himself to be a "much more complex" as a character than his superhero colleagues, the boast carries next to no weight considering the character has become as trite and predictable (not to mention as franchisable) as the big-budget adventurers he proclaims to criticize.

Obviously, we're not even at the half-way point yet with this season, so there are still a lot of opportunities for it to pick itself up...but all in all, I found this particular episode thoroughly underwhelming.

Yeah the super hero deconstruction was the weakest part

Curious if there is any connection to people bingeing the show and catching up to their distaste of the recent episodes and watching week to week and seeing the episodes largely the same as the rest of the series.

Everything that has happened in these past episodes of this season have been very much the same to me as the rest of the series and doesn't seem like any big divergence.
I just started watching right before s3e2 came out. From my perspective, s3 episodes have been just as good. Vindicators was missing some of the comedy most episodes have, but it wasn't any less watchable than any other episode's been to me. Still had my full attention all the way through.

I do think they're trying too hard to show rick's emotional side, but that has to come out eventually.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any episodes that veer too much into a parody will usually be not very good for me when it comes to R&M.

Look Whose Purging Now and Rickmancing the Stone were two lukewarm releases based on movies. Look Whose Purging Now just seemed like an idea that came from Dan Harmon, Ryan Ridley & Justin Roiland being drunk one evening and going "Remember that movie the purge? We should have Rick and Morty go to a planet where that is happening, like the movie! And we'll even mention the movie in the episode to be as tongue in cheek as possible. Rickmancing the Stone just seemed like lazy writing.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Jesus you guys every episode is a gift even the "mediocre" ones compared to 99% of the shit out there. The Edge in this thread.

I liked all the episodes so far while still thinking that the emotional moments have been coming to fast. They had more impact when it wasn't direct serial development as the focus as every episode, but I am still really enjoying the season and am always surprised at the reaction here.

Jesus you guys every episode is a gift even the "mediocre" ones compared to 99% of the shit out there. The Edge in this thread.

Nah, we just aren't blind fanboys who put a show on a pedestal just because it had a near-unbroken run of good episodes a season or two ago and actually be open about are feelings when the show isn't entertaining us. And trying to defend R&M by saying it's better than the rest of TV is funny when the most recent episode is pretty much indistinguishable from and as funny as the rest of the brainless, mean-spirited, sociopathic "comedies" that make up the the [adult swim] lineup.

Also, all you shittin' on Look Who's Purging Now are on something. Yeah, it's one of the lesser episodes of Season 2, but it's also damned good and far above the rest of the low points so far (including Bricklaying the Stone and Vindicators). It's at worst Get Schwifty/Pickle Rick tier.

Armothy was definitely the best part of the madmax episode. It had its moments.

By television standard, it was great. By rick and morty i can see why people think its a weaker episode.

Pickle Rick is one of the GOAT episodes for me personally.

I'm not feeling these episodes. 1st was great, 2nd was alright, picklerick was alright, but this last one was pretty bad.

It's weird, because I loved almost every episode from season 1 and 2, but I'm not feeling this season..

Not

Banned
I just don't see any difference at all. It's Rick and Morty. Everything's the same. Jerry's not in two of the episodes? Is that's what's bugging you guys?

MUnited83

For you.
Honestly, the last episode might be one of my least favorites. It is still pretty darn good. The lack of a B-plot does hurt it, and it doesn't do anything too interesting with the super heroes, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

All the other episodes in this season have been amazing though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom