• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Driftopia trailer (Free-to-play PSN/PC)

So let me see if I can figure this out:

free to start the race....
costs 5 pac man coins to cross each checkpoint...
4 checkpoints per track...
20 pac man coin chests for 9.99...

sound about right?

:( feelsbadman

Amir0x

Banned
no Ridge Racer, no... :(

why is Ridge Racer so reckless with its life? It's like Ridge Racer has a death wish. It needs treatment for depression.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
For a very long time RR6 was my most played 360 game.

+1, I can't even remember how many hours I put into RR6 while making a ton of cool friends on XBL. Then RR7 came out on ps3 and that's when the RR addiction REALLY kicked in! I've put over 2000hrs into both games combined. Not kidding.

SkylineRKR

I don't hate Unbounded per se, I think its a decent race game with slick presentation and a good challenge. Controls are sort of okay once you've learnt it, reminds me a small bit of PGR. Its quite edge of your seat stuff with its vicious AI and destruction. I think its much better than Split Second to name one. I bought Unbounded for like 10 bucks and I'm glad I did.

But Unbounded shouldn't have been the direction RR is going in, it should've even have been named Ridge Racer at all.

Just play RR7, and look how brilliant its presentation still is. Because of its 60fps, native 1080p and smart use of color... its still a looker. Its a fucking brilliant game.

Ridge Racer mechanics became sort of stale, sure, but its what the fans are still eating and willing to eat. A Ridge Racer 8 at the Ps4 launch would make me buy the console day one, but it seems we're not going to get anything at all.

Desty

Banned
Ridge Racer has turned into the Lindsay Lohan of racing games.

botox_Lindsay-Lohan_implants_www.antesydespues.com.ar.jpg

Come back to us arcade racing launch title RR! Come back to your roots!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I don't hate Unbounded per se, I think its a decent race game with slick presentation and a good challenge. Controls are sort of okay once you've learnt it, reminds me a small bit of PGR. Its quite edge of your seat stuff with its vicious AI and destruction. I think its much better than Split Second to name one. I bought Unbounded for like 10 bucks and I'm glad I did.

But Unbounded shouldn't have been the direction RR is going in, it should've even have been named Ridge Racer at all.

Just play RR7, and look how brilliant its presentation still is. Because of its 60fps, native 1080p and smart use of color... its still a looker. Its a fucking brilliant game.

Ridge Racer mechanics became sort of stale, sure, but its what the fans are still eating and willing to eat. A Ridge Racer 8 at the Ps4 launch would make me buy the console day one, but it seems we're not going to get anything at all.

Yup. I agree with everything you just said. I'd buy a PS4 day one too if RR8 was the only place to play it.

I still think it would be worth while if Namco went the Vita route for FTP on PC. Just port a few tracks and cars over to PC and see how it does. If people are willing to pay for more content, then just keep it coming. In fact, this is a solution I wish a lot more racers would take. I would gladly have bought the new tracks like Redstone Thunder Road and Silver Mountain Skyway as DLC on PS3 if it were available. Likewise I would have bought all the additional PS3 tracks on 360 if they were available too. It's kind of mind boggling to me this hasn't happened. I don't know what the people at Namco are thinking.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any news or updates on this damn game? Seems like everyone and their mother has swept it under the rug lol.

Release window? Platform? Next gen systems?

Mlatador

Banned
Lacks all the personality the Ridge Racer franchise once had.

R.I.P Ridge Racer
Type 4 is still the best in the series

$h@d0w

Wasn't the Vita Ridge Racer pretty much free to play? No content at the beginning and tons of downloadable content that you spent money on.

...Oh wait no that was a retail product.

Butthurt Ridge Racer Vita owner. :(

RR Vita was great, it wasn't free to play but it came in at a budget price. The only thing bad about it was the lack of 60 FPS.

I like Unbounded on PC quite a lot, but I don't think Namco should have used it as a base for their F2P Ridge Racer.

I shat on RR Vita because of its price at launch, but its concept is not all that awful.

Protome

You guys are all discussing pointless things like how the game looks and how it'll play. You need to focus on the biggest part of this, which is...Driftopia is an amazing name.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Between this and the surprise Tekken, I must say that if find it impressive how Namco in quite decisively taking their main franchises to the f2p world. They clearly see that it's the way the console world is heading and they want to be leading that market given their fall from grace last generation. The first executions might not be amazing, but will give them important learnings they can then implement full force in the PS4 and Xbone era.

ibun

*laughs* i really really really hoped for a new RidgeRacer...Old School Ridge Racer. With ridiculous Drifts, hardcore EuroBeat, great Sceneries, huge amount of Cars. Not a Burnout Paradise Clone, not a DLC contaminated piece of Game.

Agate

Neo Member
Ok, now they are trying too hard..sucks to say but nothing will compare to the days of R4... :/ Namco -- so out of tune with this F2P nonsense.

Fellow Ridge Racer Vita fans! I thought we had all been killed :)

Game got far too much hate when it launched. Was a solid RR game for a cheap price

i bought the Gold edition too with all the DLC. It's actually pretty solid game once you have all the tracks, music and cars :D

Game got far too much hate when it launched. Was a solid RR game for a cheap price
The game suffered from a lack of a real single player mode and content at launch (and the price reflected that) but the gameplay, music and aesthetics that synonymous with the series were all there.
It was much more of a worthy RR successor than the Unbounded and 3DS iterations for me that's for sure.

Besides, there's lots of free music DLC with tracks spanning all the series.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The game suffered from a lack of a real single player mode and content at launch (and the price reflected that) but the gameplay, music and aesthetics that are the staples of the series were all there.
It was much more of a worthy RR successor than the Unbounded and 3DS iterations for me that's for sure.

Besides, there's lots of free music DLC with tracks spanning all the series.

Aside from the framerate, the 3DS version actually isn't that bad. It's a much better game than Unbounded for sure.

isamu

30fps Ridge Racer in 20-fucking-12 is criminal and inexcusable, particularly on portable system that has twice the power of its predecessor. A true shame.

Cdammen

I saw nothing that screamed Ridge Racer in that video. It was as if I was watching a trailer for a shitty Burnout game.

30fps Ridge Racer in 20-fucking-12 is criminal and inexcusable, particularly on portable system that has twice the power of its predecessor. A true shame.
When you start using twice the resolution and assets from the console games, something's got to give...

*laughs* i really really really hoped for a new RidgeRacer...Old School Ridge Racer. With ridiculous Drifts, hardcore EuroBeat, great Sceneries, huge amount of Cars. Not a Burnout Paradise Clone, not a DLC contaminated piece of Game.

Yeah, me too and I agree so much. It is unfortunate. I prefer old school, arcadey, over-exaggerated drifting, frantic, fast RR over some BurnOut Paradise clone any day of the week. Welcome to the future of gaming. *sigh*

Is this game outsourced again?

Top Bottom