• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

Brera

Banned
The only thing that puts me off the game is the ridge racer tag.

Will wait for bomba price before buying though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The only thing that puts me off the game is the ridge racer tag.

Will wait for bomba price before buying though.

This game is Flatout with the Ridge Racer Name affixed to it. It being my true Flatout 3 was all I needed.

We stateside people just need to know where to purchase on PC. That is the only way I'm playing this game.

Seriously the track editor looks to be a thing of beauty. I love how there's basic and advanced versions so you don't have to be a pro to create your own track in the beginning and then later on you can migrate to the advanced one once you've got everything down. That's how you do create features in games. Don't make it daunting from the get-go because many won't try.

FYI, the PC version is releasing in Europe on time (March 30th) but the NA version is delayed for some reason. Really weird...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Seriously the track editor looks to be a thing of beauty. I love how there's basic and advanced versions so you don't have to be a pro to create your own track in the beginning and then later on you can migrate to the advanced one once you've got everything down. That's how you do create features in games. Don't make it daunting from the get-go because many won't try.

FYI, the PC version is releasing in Europe on time (March 30th) but the NA version is delayed for some reason. Really weird...

Really, where have you seen this at?

Wonko_C

Since nerd-raging over it not being like the previous Ridge Racer games is probably too played out by now I'll just give my 2 cents: If they were going to call it Ridge Racer and do their own thing, why didn't they at least made the environments and cars similar to previous Ridges? It looks too much like Burnout, and I don't mean it for the crashes and destruction, just the visual style. Didn't Namco let them tear up Ridge State? (I would pay to see Harborline 765 all messed up) The cars look completely uninteresting design-wise, a far cry from the Bisontes, Fatalitas and Crinales of old.

Was digging around Bugbear's Twitter. Some info:

- The "Official" levels were made using the in-game editor - which shows it is really powerful
- No split screen. Team focused on editor instead
- Demo for all three platforms being "worked on." No dates
- PC version goes live on Steam worldwide on March 30th
- Game went "Gold" on Feb 28th
- X360 Wireless Speed Wheel not "officially supported," but works well
- They recommend playing using a pad
- Shares some core DNA with Flatout
- 49 events in career, all unique tracks

S1kkZ

impressions from someone that plays the review copy (from a german gaming forum):

-its fucking hard.
-framerate is 30 but very solid (runs much better than the trailers/gameplay videos suggest)
-reminded him a lot of split second.
-very cool soundtrack (and the only thing that reminded him of playing an rr game).
-he likes it so far, aside from the (too) hard difficulty.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Since nerd-raging over it not being like the previous Ridge Racer games is probably too played out by now I'll just give my 2 cents: If they were going to call it Ridge Racer and do their own thing, why didn't they at least made the environments and cars similar to previous Ridges? It looks too much like Burnout, and I don't mean it for the crashes and destruction, just the visual style. Didn't Namco let them tear up Ridge State? (I would pay to see Harborline 765 all messed up) The cars look completely uninteresting design-wise, a far cry from the Bisontes, Fatalitas and Crinales of old.

Because Namco are only naming/publishing it. They gave Bugbear full control of development from what I can gather. The dev interview says Namco were looking for someone to make a racing game for them and BB already had an alpha of a game they were working on which ended up being this Unbounded.

- The "Official" levels were made using the in-game editor - which shows it is really powerful

So we can buy the PC Version off of Steam in NA?

So we can buy the PC Version off of Steam in NA?

I think so. They are responding to US based tweets with, "Yes, Day One" on their Twitter. I know they are Finnish based, so hopefully they are not getting confused with the release different dates. They are also saying "US is TBD" in other tweets about the retail (console) release.

That's kind of a bummer, I take that to mean it doesn't support any racing wheels. Still going to get it though and maybe they'll patch in support later, like Split/Second.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's great news about the PC version being on time. The thread from last week had me worried if it even existed.
I think it worked out that way because Bugbear can self publish on Steam. It looks like the console version won't be out in the States for awhile. I wouldn't expect to find any PC retail copies either.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-framerate is 30 but very solid (runs much better than the trailers/gameplay videos suggest)

smh,Burnout Paradise (from January 2008) is rock solid 60fps at 720p on consoles.

Racing games at 30fps are just completely wrong, they don't feel right or fast,hope the PC version is not locked at 30fps. (like Split/Second)

I was going to do this OT, but I realized I had no time.

Is the game really delayed? gamestop.com says it's dropping the 30th? And most other places still say March 27th.

Namco/Bandai's own site says the game is available NOW.

smh,Burnout Paradise (from January 2008) is rock solid 60fps at 720p on consoles.

Racing games at 30fps are just completely wrong, they don't feel right or fast,hope the PC version is not locked at 30fps. (like Split/Second)

Take into account that Unbounded has big destructible environments, which probably is the reason it isn't 60 like Burnout Paradise.

On another note, this game has some of the weakest, most barebones marketing ever if even us 'hardcore' forum goers can't even figure out when it's launching and what platforms. Pretty ridiculous. Sent to die

This week's Best Buy ad claims this game is coming out here in the US on Tuesday. I know that's not true, but I thought it was funny.

Arucardo

i assume this isn't going to have a traditional rr ost, rigt?

The end of that EU launch trailer has credits for artists on the ost.

EDIT: If anyone from Finland is reading this you can pre-order the PC limited edition from Markantalo for 35e. I decided to take a chance with this and pre-ordered, Bugbear has yet to disappoint me with their racing games.

Soundtrack Press Release

NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S. stuck its head in the bass bin today and had its ears rattled by the onslaught of electronic music heading onto the soundtrack of RIDGE RACER™ UNBOUNDED. Loaded with unstoppable energy, the game soundtrack includes licensed music from established and emerging electronic artists, plus tracks taken from the entire history of RIDGE RACER alongside a number of brand new original compositions.

Licensed music on RIDGE RACER™ UNBOUNDED comes from recent GRAMMY Award-winning dubstep producer Skrillex, with the tracks‘Kill Everybody’ and‘Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites’, plus US electronica duo The Crystal Method and drum&bass collaborators Noisia&The Upbeats. Other additions to the sonic soundscape come from Scratch Perverts, Unknown Error, OVERSEER and newcomers RuN RiOT and Ever Never.

Keeping one wheel firmly in the musical heritage of RIDGE RACER, the game features a selection of tracks by Hiroshi Okubo from throughout the 18 year history of the series, starting with the very first RIDGE RACER right up to RIDGE RACER 7. To complete the game’s auditory assault, Hiroshi Okubo and his team at NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc in Japan have created a number of completely original tracks for RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED, destined to keep the sonic fires of RIDGE RACER burning brighter than ever.

The latest entry in the celebrated RIDGE RACER series, RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED turbo-charges the racing genre with full environmental and vehicular destruction. The City Creator lets players design their own impressive urban tracks in minutes using the powerful yet accessible in-game tools, then share their creations online. The signature arcade handling and drifting elements that fans know and love combined with explosive action take RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED to the next level of competitive racing. With a new car selection including powerful vintage muscle cars, players will take over every alley and street corner in Shatter Bay in the most visceral and destructive racing game of 2012.​

WUBWUBWUB

BigDug13

As an editor for the masses it really looks impressive.

The problem I have with the editor: The tracks in the game seem to be designed with it as well. And that makes them really look generic and unimaginative.

I'm willing to live with that for the variety. At blinding speeds, it's not like the scenery is that enjoyable. And after you've raced on the same track a couple times, the scenery novelty has worn off. I'd much rather have huge track variety.

Also, it's possible that the editor will allow you to piece together varying scenery types in the same track.

I'm tempted to get this for PC if the ability to port other people's creations isn't robust enough on consoles.

Gen X

Soundtrack Press Release

Licensed music on RIDGE RACER™ UNBOUNDED comes from recent GRAMMY Award-winning dubstep producer Skrillex, with the tracks‘Kill Everybody’ and‘Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites’, plus US electronica duo The Crystal Method and drum&bass collaborators Noisia&The Upbeats. Other additions to the sonic soundscape come from Scratch Perverts, Unknown Error, OVERSEER and newcomers RuN RiOT and Ever Never.

Keeping one wheel firmly in the musical heritage of RIDGE RACER, the game features a selection of tracks by Hiroshi Okubo from throughout the 18 year history of the series, starting with the very first RIDGE RACER right up to RIDGE RACER 7. To complete the game’s auditory assault, Hiroshi Okubo and his team at NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc in Japan have created a number of completely original tracks for RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED, destined to keep the sonic fires of RIDGE RACER burning brighter than ever.

WUBWUBWUB

Excellent, lots of dubstep. Hopefully you can select which tracks to play as I've never been keen on the music in the previous Ridge Racers.

Gen X

I hate so much about the things you choose to be.

pzLkC.jpg

Ok let me get this straight, you build power by drifting....once your drift gauge is full you have power, which then can be used to take out other cars, burnout style, to destroy environments, or to simply nitrous boost.

If you don't have enough power and try those things you will crash.

Sound about right?

Top Bottom