• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

Heh. Futureshop's website says it's available to buy online and it's in stock in stores in Canada.

When I search for stores with stock, they all come back with "No stock" and when I go to their online store, it says, "this item is not currently in stock."

I'll check at lunch. I doubt it was even shipped to stores. :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am conflicted. I am still waiting for a lot to drop (Mass Effect 3, SSX), but want this.

Some one hold me

If it was in stock at the banned site right now I'd order it for tomorrow... but I feel if I have time to think about it I'll end up waiting a few weeks for £15-£20.

Arucardo

If that review is anything to go by (I hope it is) then it's hopefully going to start selling purely by word of mouth. I've no idea how the marketing is for this game since I don't get exposed to a lot game ads anyway (don't watch tv at my apartment and the sites I visit don't have a ton of ads).

Mdk7

Ridiculous score.
I played the game a few months ago, and frankly i can't believe they were able to improve it this much (so that it can surpass the best arcade racer of this gen, Split/Second).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Well, I took a punt and ordered from the shop that shall not be named and they've just dispatched it. Fingers crossed I get it tomorrow.

I have update the OP to reflect the ongoing situation in US/Canada

7de59e63.jpg

Future Shop in Toronto - Yonge and Eglinton. They only had two copies. Both 360.
EB Games in the same area is saying Friday.
Mom & Pop store thought it was delayed for a while.

Namco
NA RELEASE DATE: THE YEAR 20XX

Kifimbo

Well...

RIDGE RACER® UNBOUNDED AVAILABLE IN
NORTH AMERICA

Car Destruction, Track Construction Taken To New Heights
In Latest Entry to the RIDGE RACER Series

SAN JOSE, Calif. – March 27, 2012 - NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. announced RIDGE RACER® UNBOUNDED is shipping this week to retailers in North America for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

The latest entry in the celebrated RIDGE RACER series, RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED turbo-charges the racing genre with full environmental and vehicular destruction. Players indulge in high speed destruction to impress Kara Shindo, leader of the Unbounded gang, and grow their street cred in Shatter Bay. The signature arcade handling and drifting elements combined with explosive action take RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED to the next level of competitive racing. With a new car selection including powerful vintage muscle cars, players will take over every alley and street corner in Shatter Bay in the most visceral and destructive racing game of 2012.

“We are excited to have racing fans unleash their destructive prowess against friends and foes online in RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED,” said Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing, NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “With a greater focus on demolition and high octane destruction, RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED takes the franchise to new heights in racing mayhem.”

New to the RIDGE RACER series, the City Creator lets players design their own impressive urban tracks in minutes using the powerful yet accessible in-game tools, then share their creations online. The real fun begins when players battle it out behind the wheel to dominate each other’s creations. The race is on to stay in control.
RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED is available in North America for $59.99 and is rated T for Teen by the ESRB. For more information on RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED, please visit: http://www.ridgeracer.com/ or http://www.facebook.com/ridgefan.
About NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., part of NAMCO BANDAI Holdings Inc., is a leading global publisher and developer of interactive content — including all major video game consoles, iOS, mobile and online. The company is known for creating and publishing many of the industry’s top video game franchises, including PAC-MAN®, TEKKEN®, SOULCALIBUR®, NARUTO™, NARUTO SHIPPUDEN™, Dragon Ball®, GALAGA®, RIDGE RACER and ACE COMBAT®. More information about the company and its products can be found at www.namcobandaigames.com or www.facebook.com/namco.RIDGE RACER® UNBOUNDED ©2012 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. ©2012 Bugbear Entertainment Ltd.
“PlayStation” is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox LIVE are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Press Release © 2012 NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So is anyone getting this day one? Seems like it will drop pretty quick and I'm not that bothered about the online, I don't think.

Planned on getting it day one the first day it was revealed and I discovered Bugbear were the devs. Their racers may only be 30fps, but they are damn good quality racers. The only part of their games that has been a bit iffy has been the matchmaking/online. Flatout on Xbox1 was horrendous with people dropping before they even hit the grid, but this time I am confident they will have it sorted since I expect they've had more funding this time with Namco behind it.

So stoked this ended up getting a 9 from Edge, that's the icing on the cake.

Now I think I'll drop some coin on a PVR to capture some footage, get to grips with making some cool crash vids. =D

Ridiculous score.
I played the game a few months ago, and frankly i can't believe they were able to improve it this much (so that it can surpass the best arcade racer of this gen, Split/Second).

I love racers, I'd buy them in a heartbeat over any other genre and although Split/Second was an enjoyable 'ride' (trololol), it was a shallow game with very limited replay value. Don't get me wrong, the game is polished and definitely worth experiencing but it is far from the best racer of this gen. For a first time experience S/S has many 'WHOAH!' moments for sure. I'm not going to start naming what is better because we all have our own opinions.

7de59e63.jpg

Future Shop in Toronto - Yonge and Eglinton. They only had two copies. Both 360.
EB Games in the same area is saying Friday.
Mom & Pop store thought it was delayed for a while.

Namco
NA RELEASE DATE: THE YEAR 20XX
Yup. Also spotted one at a Futureshop uptown Toronto. Also 360 only.

Don't Namco games usually stick with their original price for a while? I remember Knight's Contract being 59.99$ for months after it's "launch"

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've got some crap I can trade in at Gamestop and get a 60% bonus. I think I have well over $60 worth of stuff. What the hell.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Enslaved dropped pretty quick, didn't it?

Soul Calibur V went $40 in like a month

Soul Calibur V was basically $40 day 1 (free $20 GC) if you bought it at Target.

This game is seemingly so obscure I could see it sticking near $60 for a while just because the demand keeps up with the essentially nonexistant supply.

Hey ascully:

1. what kind of destruction is it? is it mostly canned/fake/scripted destruction like battlefield or is it true destruction like red faction?

2. what is the online like? what kind of modes and # of players and interface, those type of things.

thanks

I'm pretty sure these are the PC system requirements:

System requirements:

OS: Windows XP, Vista SP2 32-bit, Win 7. (Requires an updated version of the OS with all service packs)
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Processor: Dual Core Athlon x2 2.6 GHz Intel or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 6 GB of free space
Video: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
To activate, and the game requires an Internet connection. Requires an account Steam.

Also, GAF's own SapientWolf (I think?) asked on twitter:

@SapientWolf Should be available in all territories on Steam next week, yes.

http://twitter.com/#!/bugbeargames/status/182958010736443392

ttocs

I just put my order in at best buy for store pickup after work today. Apparently all the stores around me have the game. Wasn't expecting it until the weekend though.

ascully

Hey ascully:

1. what kind of destruction is it? is it mostly canned/fake/scripted destruction like battlefield or is it true destruction like red faction?

2. what is the online like? what kind of modes and # of players and interface, those type of things.

thanks

Canned fake destruction for the most part, you can clip barriers etc and they smash.

Not actually played the online at all yet, just messing with the campaign.

ttocs

Just got to a Burnout style domination event, your in a 18 wheeler truck smashing cop cars for points.

How is the difficulty (are there different levels or just one standard difficulty)? And are you noticing any rubber banding with the AI?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
"Oh, BTW, Unbounded is out in the States." Seems like some stores have it, some don't. This is the most unorganized launch I've seen in quite a long time. Bugbear might as well push the Steam button early.

ttocs

"Oh, BTW, Unbounded is out in the States." Seems like some stores have it, some don't. This is the most unorganized launch I've seen in quite a long time. Bugbear might as well push the Steam button early.

Amazon has it for the 30th, yet every brick and mortar store around me is already selling it. I'm guessing there was a release date for the 30th but it was pushed early or something. Best Buy just emailed me back letting me know it's available for pickup so it's not like they can't sell it early.

Amazon has it for the 30th, yet every brick and mortar store around me is already selling it. I'm guessing there was a release date for the 30th but it was pushed early or something. Best Buy just emailed me back letting me know it's available for pickup so it's not like they can't sell it early.

The EB I went to is still claiming Friday. I honestly think nobody knows what the fuck is going on. Especially Namco.

ttocs

The EB I went to is still claiming Friday. I honestly think nobody knows what the fuck is going on. Especially Namco.

You would expect something like this from a cheap game going for 49.99 that is based off of a movie or something that is just shovelware. With the reviews this game is getting, it's obvious some love when into making it. So, where along the line did they just screw up with releasing it? You would think it would be better managed.

Plus, games usually release on Tuesdays in the US and Friday in the UK. Did they maybe get it mixed up and forget to tell US retailers that it was ok to release on Tuesday and instead only gave the UK date? Who knows...

You would expect something like this from a cheap game going for 49.99 that is based off of a movie or something that is just shovelware. With the reviews this game is getting, it's obvious some love when into making it. So, where along the line did they just screw up with releasing it? You would think it would be better managed.

Plus, games usually release on Tuesdays in the US and Friday in the UK. Did they maybe get it mixed up and forget to tell US retailers that it was ok to release on Tuesday and instead only gave the UK date? Who knows...

This seems like an old school game release. Game gets shipped by the publisher and the retailer gets it in at some point during the week to put up on the shelves. Most of the time that would still end up being Tuesday. That's the way it was handled for many titles not too long ago. I think a set Tuesday release date for every game only came about recently.

Now retailers get the games before the weekend and wait to put them up on shelves the following Tuesday like movies were handled for years.

The only difference here is that it was reported the game was delayed until Fall.

Xander51

A few of my local shops have the game, I'm in the US. I agree that this is a bizarre release, haven't seen anything this messy in a while.

So after watching the trailer. I have concluded that it's Burnout meets Trackmania Meets Ridge Racer.

With Dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs that you can explode and have flaming dinosaur parts rain down on your oponents

How could you even mess up the marketing with that?

Top Bottom