• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

surly

Banned
Ok let me get this straight, you build power by drifting....once your drift gauge is full you have power, which then can be used to take out other cars, burnout style, to destroy environments, or to simply nitrous boost.

If you don't have enough power and try those things you will crash.

Sound about right?
Cars have life bars. Hitting a car at speed, but without boosting, will knock some of its life bar off and if that hit knocks the last of its life bar off then it's a take out. Hitting a car right after boosting = instant take out.

The environmental damage stuff is split into 2 parts - collateral damage and "targets". The collateral damage stuff is things like lamp posts, trees, some walls, pillars that are part of buildings etc. You can knock that stuff down just by driving through it at speed. The targets are specific sections of the track that you can only knock down by boosting into them. If your boost bar is full and a target is coming up, it'll be highlighted up ahead so you can go for it.

There's a video playthrough showing this stuff here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPhKU6JnE

Jimrpg

49 career events?

at first I was a bit disappointed but thinking it through im glad they are not completely overdoing the single player like some other games...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I believe the current PR's are all coming out of Namco Bandai Games Europe ahead of the Euro release. The US office is sleeping I guess
RR:U technically isn't getting launched in the US next week. It's positioned after Inversion in the coming soon lineup. That game was delayed until the late Summer. There's no reason for the US office to board the hype train.

See, I disliked pretty much EVERY arcade racer that has come out this gen...and I LOVE arcade racers. I liked the good entries of Crusin' San Fransisco Rush, California Speed, Beetle Adventure Racing, all the Top Gears, I enjoyed all the original Burnouts...

But I hated Burnout Paradise

Hated Need for Speed Most Wanted, just utterly bored by it.

I disliked Blur.

And I disliked Split Second.

I have NOT played Flatout.

Now I know some people have already said this plays alot like Split Second...but I dunno, I have HOPE for this game. I really want it to be great, and I want to love it alot.

Whenever it comes out in NA. You know, that territory that gets little love nowadays...

daviyoung

Banned

I disliked Blur.

Have you played Hot Pursuit? It's the best arcade racer this gen imo.

I have a feeling the drifting mechanic will make or break the driving in this game, it's just so hard to get it right in an arcade racer and it looks a bit too much like Ridge Racer boat-drifts in the videos I've seen.

Will see on Friday I guess.

Blur is one of my favourite arcade racers of all time.

I wasn't a huge fan of Burnout: Paradise and hope they return to the Revenge/Burnout 3 format.

RR: Unbounded looks like my type of arcade racer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
See, I disliked pretty much EVERY arcade racer that has come out this gen...and I LOVE arcade racers. I liked the good entries of Crusin' San Fransisco Rush, California Speed, Beetle Adventure Racing, all the Top Gears, I enjoyed all the original Burnouts...

I disliked Blur.

I have NOT played Flatout.

Now I know some people have already said this plays alot like Split Second...but I dunno, I have HOPE for this game. I really want it to be great, and I want to love it alot.

Whenever it comes out in NA. You know, that territory that gets little love nowadays...
You really hated Blur? God damn, that's surprising. I thought it was one of the finest arcade racers ever made. It has a different flavor due to its use of weapons but damn is it fun.

Arucardo

Have you played Hot Pursuit? It's the best arcade racer this gen imo.

I have a feeling the drifting mechanic will make or break the driving in this game, it's just so hard to get it right in an arcade racer and it looks a bit too much like Ridge Racer boat-drifts in the videos I've seen.

Will see on Friday I guess.

If the drifting feels close to TrackMania 2 I will be pleased.

You really hated Blur? God damn, that's surprising. I thought it was one of the finest arcade racers ever made. It has a different flavor due to its use of weapons but damn is it fun.

Blur is awesome and it was really refreshing to see a new take on the arcade racer.

Criminal Upper should play the ultimate arcade racer this gen, Outrun Online! :D And sure, try out the new Hot Pursuit and The Run. Both have some solid racing.

I didn't hate blur, I just disliked it. I didn't like how you had to make every weapon count, all the time, every time. Seemingly it was the ONLY way to win races. I also have a lot of respect for Bizarre Creations (RIP)

I just didn't enjoy all that much.

daviyoung

Banned
I didn't hate blur, I just disliked it. I didn't like how you had to make every weapon count, all the time, every time. Seemingly it was the ONLY way to win races. I also have a lot of respect for Bizarre Creations (RIP)

The single-player can be really unforgiving but that's Bizarre Creations for you. The PGRs got hair-pullingly ridiculous towards the end of their career modes, it meant perfecting every car on every corner on every track. Blur's campaign was a lot more forgiving than any of the PGRs.

Blur comes out best in multiplayer, especially 4-player splitscreen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I just didn't enjoy all that much.
That's not true at all. I've finished every race in the game and most of them can be won without perfecting your weapon usage. You still need to be reasonably good, of course, but it doesn't always demand perfection.

The weapons are a good part of the fun for me, though, so what can I say? I thought it was the perfect marriage between Wipeout and an arcade style racer.

Popeck

You think? More like Midnight Club to me.

The producer of the game did say that he really liked the latest Midnight Club game. I don't remember the name of the game, Los Angeles or something? Anyways, that might have something to do with it.

RR:U technically isn't getting launched in the US next week. It's positioned after Inversion in the coming soon lineup. That game was delayed until the late Summer. There's no reason for the US office to board the hype train.

So the U.S. (console?) version isn't really supposed to come out till the later Summer and the EU version is out in 4 days? This is such a weird launch. What is Namco doing? Based on what we've seen the game looks anything but cheap... looks like BugBear put a lot of work into it for at least a couple years and Namco is sending it to die.

OP text graphics/layout is too classy/sleek for what the design of this game actually is.

Not sure what you're trying to say but this game looks awesome and better than any RR in like ages.

Cars have life bars. Hitting a car at speed, but without boosting, will knock some of its life bar off and if that hit knocks the last of its life bar off then it's a take out. Hitting a car right after boosting = instant take out.

The environmental damage stuff is split into 2 parts - collateral damage and "targets". The collateral damage stuff is things like lamp posts, trees, some walls, pillars that are part of buildings etc. You can knock that stuff down just by driving through it at speed. The targets are specific sections of the track that you can only knock down by boosting into them. If your boost bar is full and a target is coming up, it'll be highlighted up ahead so you can go for it.

There's a video playthrough showing this stuff here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPhKU6JnE

So this game is just burnout, flat out and split second all rolled into one?

Sounds good to me. I loved all 3 of those games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So the U.S. (console?) version isn't really supposed to come out till the later Summer and the EU version is out in 4 days? This is such a weird launch. What is Namco doing? Based on what we've seen the game looks anything but cheap... looks like BugBear put a lot of work into it for at least a couple years and Namco is sending it to die.
I think it was an olive branch for Ridge Racer Vita, because that was a Namco/Sony joint project, while RR:U is probably more of a Namco Europe interest.

robot

Got mine preordered - can't wait.

Wonder if they made tiles based on the old tracks? If not, I'm sure someone will make all of the old tracks in advanced editor pretty quickly.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
So us Yankees are still in the dark about release date on pc or are we getting it on the 30th for sure?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So us Yankees are still in the dark about release date on pc or are we getting it on the 30th for sure?
I asked a Bugbear dev on twitter and he said it'll be available on Steam in every region at launch this Friday. It doesn't look like Namco Bandai has anything to do with PC digital distribution on Steam. They always let the devs or co-publishers handle it.

Arucardo

Received a message that my game is in the mail, should have it by Thursday or Friday :) . Bit of a shame how little attention this seems to be getting from GAF though I'm sure the whole release date confusion puts a little damper on it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Received a message that my game is in the mail, should have it by Thursday or Friday :) . Bit of a shame how little attention this seems to be getting from GAF though I'm sure the whole release date confusion puts a little damper on it.
You're Finnish though, right?

Yeah, Unbounded died for Vita's sins. Well, maybe not that dramatic.

I asked a Bugbear dev on twitter and he said it'll be available on Steam in every region at launch this Friday. It doesn't look like Namco Bandai has anything to do with PC digital distribution on Steam. They always let the devs or co-publishers handle it.

Yet I don't see it coming soon on Steam. Me so confused. :(

ejwED.gif

BigDug13

I need to know more about the "user created track publishing". Is the 360 going to have the same user generated track sharing capability as the PCversion? That will really decide my pick.

Oh snap.

The action-racing genre has delivered numerous treats this generation, but not one of them has been as rewarding and relentlessly entertaining, nor as feature-packed, as this. This is Ridge Racer unbounded from the shackles of its heritage, rebuilt from the ground up into one of the most subversive, sublime street-racing games ever made. [9]

Ridge Racer Redeemed!?

This game is going to fly completely under-the-radar for most.

1-D_FTW

Damn.

Ridge Racer Unbounded lOTl Ridge meets Trackmania - Edge Scores it 9

I know a lot of people are pouting up a storm that it doesn't deserve the RR name, but I really believe the biggest problem this game has going is the RR name. It's been so soiled at this point that people are just assuming it sucks. Hopefully they can get some good viral marketing going if it truly lives up to the potential.

BigDug13

Damn.

I know a lot of people are pouting up a storm that it doesn't deserve the RR name, but I really believe the biggest problem this game has going is the RR name. It's been so soiled at this point that people are just assuming it sucks. Hopefully they can get some good viral marketing going if it truly lives up to the potential.

I think (hope) that word of mouth will sell this. Friends will talk about the amazing tracks they've created or raced in, people will see the awesome reviews, etc.

Damn.

Yeah, I think something needs to go in the thread title. If this game is good as Edge makes it out to be I want it to do well.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So is anyone getting this day one? Seems like it will drop pretty quick and I'm not that bothered about the online, I don't think.

Heh. Futureshop's website says it's available to buy online and it's in stock in stores in Canada.

When I search for stores with stock, they all come back with "No stock" and when I go to their online store, it says, "this item is not currently in stock."

Top Bottom