• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita [Update 2: Tech Demo Video In OP]

glaurung

Like the concept art even though it reminds me of that not-so-good looking Citroen concept car from GT5.

Vita is gearing up to shoot out the gates with Wipeout and now RR. Both thumbs up!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
They kinda destroyed themselves when they gave the Ridge Racer V moniker to the 5th entry.

Now people will talk about RRV and I'll keep envisioning the PS2 version in my head.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

wouldn't be a System Launch without it.

I expect Namco will release a press release announce a cafe RR as well later today as well.

SolidSnakex said:
Unbounded won't be out until next year and this will probably be a launch title, so it has to be ready for the end for the year.

Wow we need a launch title thread or something, just how many games for launch are we at.

Ridge Racer concept look nice

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think it bodes well that the release was just concept art, not even CG or bullshots. I suspect it's in very early development. Then again, most RR games seem to have pretty rapid dev times.

Barrett2

My theory is that a lot of devs have had Vita Dev kits, but haven't been doing much with them, waiting for a price announcement, not wanting to sink money into anything until they knew Sony would price it competitively. If that's the case, there could be a huge post-launch drought for Vita.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
I don't think it bodes well that the release was just concept art, not even CG or bullshots. I suspect it's in very early development. Then again, most RR games seem to have pretty rapid dev times.

I agree that it is very early in development, but I also think that this might not be a project which originated completely internally. The development director is Hideo Teramoto, who is now at Cellius, and it seems Cellius is working with Namco staff to make this game. Before he joined Cellius, he was producing stuff like Ridge Racers on PSP and Ridge Racer 7 on PS3. There's a good chance that this project only exists because he finally managed to convince Namco to let him take a stab at the franchise again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I missed this earlier. Hopefully they actually deliver a new Ridge Racer game not based on the PSP launch title. Every internal RR game since 2004 has followed that mold.

Personally, I'd love to see them deliver something with the type of handling found in Ridge Racer V with a whole slew of new tracks set in an urban environment.

It also better be 60 fps.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
English PR:

http://terminalgamer.com/2011/06/07/namco-bandai-announces-ridge-racer-for-the-ps-vita/

NAMCO BANDAI GAMES INC. ANNOUNCES RIDGE RACER® (working title) FOR SONY NEXT GENERATIONPORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM.

Leading video game developer and publisher NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today announced that RIDGE RACER® (working title) is currently under development for the Next Generation Portable entertainment system PlayStation® Vita which Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is planning to launch at the end of 2011.

RIDGE RACER for PlayStation® Vita is the newest installment of the exhilarating RIDGE RACER arcade racingseries. Players can expect high-speed drifting at break-neck speeds in high-performance racing machines with new exciting new gameplay additions. Drift racing fans looking for edge-of-your-seat action will be able to truly feel the on-screen drama through the revolutionary features of the PlayStation® Vita.

The new title is being co-developed by NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. and Cellius, a joint venture founded between NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan in 2007. Acting as Director for the PlayStation® Vita version of RIDGE RACER is Hideo Teramoto of Cellius. Teramoto’s previous work includes Associate Producer of critically acclaimed titles including RIDGE RACER® for the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system and RIDGE RACER® 7 for the PlayStation®3 system.

To stay in touch with RIDGE RACER, please visit http://www.facebook.com/ridgefan or http://www.namcobandaigames.com.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Best news possible, considering the stuff Teramoto and his team got out of the PSP at launch. TGS is going to be glorious.

And I'm going to buy Unbounded, too.

dark10x said:
I missed this earlier. Hopefully they actually deliver a new Ridge Racer game not based on the PSP launch title. Every internal RR game since 2004 has followed that mold.

Personally, I'd love to see them deliver something with the type of handling found in Ridge Racer V with a whole slew of new tracks set in an urban environment.

It also better be 60 fps.

You know it'll be chock full of tracks from the last few games. RR3DS only added 3 new tracks, hopefully it'll be more than that!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it would be really nice if they made an RR with a really great online mode.
RR6 is a deserted wasteland, I imagine 7 is just as abandoned. It needs to have like online tours/events and stuff.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wario64 said:
Hell yeah.

Uncharted + Wipeout + Ridge Racer = best launch confirmed

Amir0x said:
I hope this shit has online from day one.

AND I HOPE THIS SHIT IS 60fps, SCAMCO

Fucking THIS & THIS!!!!! E3 has been saved, thanks to this news!

If only....if ONLY a true Japanese developed RR sequel was coming to the PC ....:cries:

neptunes

YESS!! PRAISE THE HEAVENS!!

RIDGE HAS COME BACK!!

I seriously thought namco was going to pull a slick one and just port unbounded, but the've restored my faith. Online multiplayer please.

AwShucks

Ridge Racer whore here, so if this is an actual RR (and not like that crap coming out on consoles) I'm all for it.

I hope someone posts a video without touching the screen since there appears to be messages popping up that describe the new game.

I'm a bit wary of recent Ridge Racer games. While they are fun, I've found the courses to be incredibly repetitive after 2 hours. Hopefully this is better then the 3DS version.

Top Bottom