• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita [Update 2: Tech Demo Video In OP]

duckroll

I feel like I'm missing something here. Why would a "demo" like this get anyone excited at all? The car design is pretty bad by Ridge Racer standards (or at least, it's not what I really prefer out of the various car designs from the series), there is no gameplay whatsoever, there isn't even a real graphical demo which shows a car racing on a track.

It actually deflates my excitement because it looks really obvious that the game is over a year away and they haven't even started making it yet. Lots of time for Namco to fuck it up and shit out another crappy Ridge Racer game no one cares about imo.

Krev said:
They're probably aiming for the music manipulation feature to distinguish this title, rather than just riding the 'first at launch' wave.

The wording in the trailer made it sound like the music will be directly linked to the engine.

Callibretto said:
huh? I thought the psp version is awesome.

They're definitely fun, but i'd love to have a Ridge Racer that has Rage's gameplay and RRT4's presentation.

Xater

duckroll said:
I feel like I'm missing something here. Why would a "demo" like this get anyone excited at all? The car design is pretty bad by Ridge Racer standards (or at least, it's not what I really prefer out of the various car designs from the series), there is no gameplay whatsoever, there isn't even a real graphical demo which shows a car racing on a track.

It actually deflates my excitement because it looks really obvious that the game is over a year away and they haven't even started making it yet. Lots of time for Namco to fuck it up and shit out another crappy Ridge Racer game no one cares about imo.

I was into the music and it looks like it will be a real Ridge Racer. Therefor this is exciting in the light of where Unbounded is going. Not exactly rocket science here duckroll.

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:
They're definitely fun, but i'd love to have a Ridge Racer that has Rage's gameplay and RRT4's presentation.

I think that ship has definitely sailed. I expect this game to basically be Ridge Racers 3, just like RR6 and RR7 were basically home console versions of Ridge Racers.

duckroll said:
I think that ship has definitely sailed. I expect this game to basically be Ridge Racers 3, just like RR6 and RR7 were basically home console versions of Ridge Racers.

I definitely understand why you feel like that. It's been disappointing that they've kept those drift mechanics for so long. They're just way too simple. At one point in the series you really needed to try to keep the car under control when were coming out of a drift while it almost feels automatic at this point.

Also, drop the nitrous!

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:
I definitely understand why you feel like that. It's been disappointing that they've kept those drift mechanics for so long. They're just way too simple. At one point in the series you really needed to try to keep the car under control when were coming out of a drift while it almost feels automatic at this point.

Also, drop the nitrous!

I feel that in many ways, what happened with Ridge Racer is the same issue which plagues shooters, RPGs, action games, etc today. As games get more and more mainstream, the major genres are under more pressure to simplify mechanics while giving gamers more bang for their buck in terms of "experience" and "cool". That sort of mindset definitely created the nitrous system. Honestly, I'm surprised the real QTEs haven't made their way into Ridge Racer yet. They're already making their way into NFS The Run! Lulz. :(

Sorry to ask this here, I cannot create a new thread. Is it worth it to pick up Ridge Racer 2 for PSP being that it's basicly the same engine with more tracks?

Anyway, I'm so very much looking forward to Ridge Race on Vita, I will buy both on launch, day one, cannot wait!

herzogzwei1989 said:
Sorry to ask this here, I cannot create a new thread. Is it worth it to pick up Ridge Racer 2 for PSP being that it's basicly the same engine with more tracks?

Anyway, I'm so very much looking forward to Ridge Race on Vita, I will buy both on launch, day one, cannot wait!
Yes, even though many consider it RR1.5, it really doesn't matter since RR1's graphics and gameplay were spot-on. This adds additional cars and tracks, so yes, if you can grab it for $19.99 from amazon with free shipping new I'd say it's def worth it.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Yes, even though many consider it RR1.5, it really doesn't matter since RR1's graphics and gameplay were spot-on. This adds additional cars and tracks, so yes, if you can grab it for $19.99 from amazon with free shipping new I'd say it's def worth it.

Already just purchased thanks to your post ^__^

Does it have any tracks from RRV? I know it's got the first track from Rage Racer, the one that wasn't in RR1 PSP.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Already just purchased thanks to your post ^__^

Does it have any tracks from RRV? I know it's got the first track from Rage Racer, the one that wasn't in RR1 PSP.

It's mostly tracks, cars and music from Type 4. For that reason alone it's essential. I think there's at least one RRV track too.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
It's mostly tracks, cars and music from Type 4. For that reason alone it's essential. I think there's at least one RRV track too.

There's gotta be that one Rage Racer track too, right? Not Union Hill District or Lakeside Parkway but the first one. Okay here we go (i think)
Two tracks are from the original Ridge Racer, three tracks are from Ridge Racer Revolution, four tracks are from Rave Racer, eight tracks are from R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, and four tracks are from Rage Racer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_Racer_2_(PSP)

Mythical Coast Is the one I was looking for. It's probably not called that in PSP Ridge Racer 2, though.

-Rage Racer --> Ridge Racer/s on PSP-
Lakeside Gate --> Lakeside Parkway
Over Pass City --> Union Hill District

so...

Mythical Coast --> ?
The Extreme Oval --> ?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really hope there is a bit of a shakeup with this game as well. Playing the 3DS game and it is far too apparent how much they have rung the current play style dry.

Tracks should get wilder, collisions more impactful and somehow involved in gameplay, etc...

I'd also prefer a return to the more analog feel of the drifting in RRV than the overabundant automation in everything since. That is presuming that aspect of the game even stays intact.

SkylineRKR

I prefer the controls as found in Rave Racer. Drifting was somewhat inbetween RRV and the later games IIRC. Also, I could do without Nitrous.

More details in the tracks would be great, but rather not at the cost of framerate or anything. I would be thrilled if RR Vita is going to run at 60fps.

SkylineRKR

The thing behind Cellius is quite cool.

There is Kenny boy and Namco was about the first third party developer that supported Sony and was always present at a Playstation launch.

About RR64, I think it was loosely based on RR1 and Revolution.

Wonko_C

I kinda prefer the current simpler drifting mechanics of RR6/7 or Outrun 2006, but that's probably because the first RR game I really fell in love with was 6 on the 360. (I did play RR1, Type 4 and RRV before, though)

To me Ridge Racer 7 is the pinnacle of the series, the only thing I preferred from 6 was the ability to choose from different DJs. The girl is nice but James C. Mathis III was really funny (in a cheesy kind of way) in 6.

Namco: Give us Kaz Hirai as a secret DJ on RRVita.

Brandon F

madmaxx350 said:
Which Ridge Racer was 64 a port of ? Or was it just one build from the ground up ? I really loved that one

NST developed pretty much from the ground up. It used assets and tracks from the original PS1 games as well as several original tracks that I am unsure ever got ported out to future games. I didn't hate it either, but technical issues bothered me a bit. I always felt the collision detection was off(hitboxes wider than the actual models), disliked the N64 controller/dpad with the game, and the AI was overly unfair. I did play it quite a bit though, mostly due to my love affair with Rage Racer and RRV at the time.

Brandon F

Wonko_C said:
I kinda prefer the current simpler drifting mechanics of RR6/7 or Outrun 2006, but that's probably because the first RR game I really fell in love with was 6 on the 360. (I did play RR1, Type 4 and RRV before, though)

To me Ridge Racer 7 is the pinnacle of the series, the only thing I preferred from 6 was the ability to choose from different DJs. The girl is nice but James C. Mathis III was really funny (in a cheesy kind of way) in 6.

Namco: Give us Kaz Hirai as a secret DJ on RRVita.

I adored RR6 as a launch game on 360 and got practically every achievement except for the "No collision in every race variant" ones. Still one of the most brutal achievements in existence to earn. I think my clock said around 80+ hours of R6 last I checked.

R7 did look fantastic in 1080p, but the Gran Prix mode was really awkward. Couldn't get a sense of how the progression worked. Fizzled out early in given how similar the content was to R6 though. Years have passed and I should give it another look. Still miss rumble though...was it ever patched in?

Finally, bring back 'Disco Ball'! Loved that music track in the PSP game!

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
I'm surprised the real QTEs haven't made their way into Ridge Racer yet. They're already making their way into NFS The Run! Lulz. :(

There were sort of QTEs in Split Second too ;)

SkylineRKR

Whenever I fire up RR7, I'm still pleased by its graphical awesomeness. Its one pretty 1080p game. We should've gotten RR8 instead of this abortion called Unbounded.

This thread got me playing RR7 and no, Rumble's not in. Downtown rave city, baby!

The only thing that RR7 lacks is a proper intro movie. And maybe an extra BGM disc or 2.

Brandon F said:
NST developed pretty much from the ground up. It used assets and tracks from the original PS1 games as well as several original tracks that I am unsure ever got ported out to future games. I didn't hate it either, but technical issues bothered me a bit. I always felt the collision detection was off(hitboxes wider than the actual models), disliked the N64 controller/dpad with the game, and the AI was overly unfair. I did play it quite a bit though, mostly due to my love affair with Rage Racer and RRV at the time.

Oh yes! That AI!!! Ha, good times good times indeed. I remember that every race with the red car that was on the cover of the game was just horribly hard. I probably beat that game at least 10-12 times

Brandon F

madmaxx350 said:
Oh yes! That AI!!! Ha, good times good times indeed. I remember that every race with the red car that was on the cover of the game was just horribly hard. I probably beat that game at least 10-12 times

Yea I gave up late in the game. I always felt the challenging races in Rage Racer and RRV were brutal but doable with enough skill. The N64 game was just obscenely unfair.

SkylineRKR said:
I prefer the controls as found in Rave Racer. Drifting was somewhat inbetween RRV and the later games IIRC. Also, I could do without Nitrous.

I perfer the gameplay from Rave Racer also.

More details in the tracks would be great, but rather not at the cost of framerate or anything. I would be thrilled if RR Vita is going to run at 60fps.

I will not settle for 30fps RR Vita, it has to be 60fps.

Special J

Banned
giant bomb was talking about this, i think it was jeff specifically...

anyways the demo guy at e3 was changing the tracks and using the gestures to change the music, and after he demoed it for couple minutes he asked if he wanted to try it and he was like nah im good. they bashed it for a couple minutes saying its not even a racing demo its some music game on bombcast and was quite funny.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
herzogzwei1989 said:

A resounding to that my friend. Best handheld racer by oooh I dunno.....5 country miles???

CamHostage

Krev said:
Cellius exists?
pancakesandsex said:
Why is no one else talking about this.
Why are more people not talking about this.

It's neat history, but Cellius is a non-issue at this point. People made it out to be this huge deal before we knew anything about it ("Sony and Namco jointly form a new studio exclusively for making use of the CELL processor? ... AAA, here it comes!",) but it turned out that the studio was more an incubation office than a full-scale developer. (There are reports that the company was formed "to help take share from Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co.", but I'm not sure that quote can actually be attributed to either Sony or Namco?)

Cellius has shipped a few products, including Gundam and Evangelion multimedia apps. Ridge Racer Vita is I believe the first game the team has contributed to, but I wonder if this project has to do with either A: Mr. Teramoto's relationship with the project (was RR7 ever connected with Cellius?) or B: a mulitimedia connection to the game beyond just racing. (Like YT uploads or something like that.) It would be nice, though, if this marked the team's transition out of concepting into more regular development.

Cellius was formed in order to explore unique uses for the CELL Broadband Engine, but the Vita has little to nothing custom under the hood (at least, as far as revolutionary technology approaches, the thing is a portable beast but I wouldn't say that any one chip thinks different) and so there's not a lot of reason why this team would be put on Vita as a technology excavator. It's possible that there's more to the story, but it's also possible that they were just called in as jobbers for an open project.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SkylineRKR said:
Whenever I fire up RR7, I'm still pleased by its graphical awesomeness. Its one pretty 1080p game. We should've gotten RR8 instead of this abortion called Unbounded.

This is truest thing said in this entire thread.

This thread got me playing RR7 and no, Rumble's not in.

Not sure what kind of gamepad you own, but rumble most definitely works in RR7.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I perfer the gameplay from Rave Racer also.

I will not settle for 30fps RR Vita, it has to be 60fps.

SkylineRKR said:
I prefer the controls as found in Rave Racer. Drifting was somewhat inbetween RRV and the later games IIRC.

If you guys enjoy Rave Racer, you should definitely DEFINITELY play it on PC via Viva Nonno. You can map the buttons to any controller you want! I play the game on my FFB wheel and although there is no FFB, the analog sensitivity can be modified to your liking, and boy is it a BLAST playing the game at home on a 110" front projection screen with a wheel, H-gated shifter and pedals!

Geezuz herzogzwei1989 and SkylineRKR...why the fuck did you guys have to mention Rave Racer? Now you've got me all hot and horny for the game and I've got the sudden urge to fire it up after not having played it in over 9 months!!!!!!!! :p

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
SkylineRKR said:
The only thing that RR7 lacks is a proper intro movie. And maybe an extra BGM disc or 2.

The only thing RR7 lacks is decent (dare I say 'next-gen') lighting - even Ridge PSP's sunwash and tarmac glare are slicker. If it had that it would look insane, as opposed to just beautiful and a window into some crazy parallel universe where developers prioritised framerate and resolution.

I'm confident Ridge Vita is going to be a religious experience, though. And I want Unbounded too! I'm the outside market on this one.

Wonko_C

isamu said:

I have the US version and I can't get it to rumble yet all other games do, unless there's an option hidden in the game or something.

Aren't you playing the Japanese version perchance? If I'm not mistaken that version was better supported, after all these years they even released a "3D License" DLC that's only available on the Japanese Playstation Store. Maybe they released a vibration patch there too?

matmanx1

Did it look to anyone else like the guy in the tech demo was lovingly stroking the screen with his fingers? Just a silly thought I had...

And yeah I'd love to see a new, real, proper RR for the Vita as good as the first couple were.

isamu said:
This is truest thing said in this entire thread.

If you guys enjoy Rave Racer, you should definitely DEFINITELY play it on PC via Viva Nonno. You can map the buttons to any controller you want! I play the game on my FFB wheel and although there is no FFB, the analog sensitivity can be modified to your liking, and boy is it a BLAST playing the game at home on a 110" front projection screen with a wheel, H-gated shifter and pedals!

Geezuz herzogzwei1989 and SkylineRKR...why the fuck did you guys have to mention Rave Racer? Now you've got me all hot and horny for the game and I've got the sudden urge to fire it up after not having played it in over 9 months!!!!!!!! :p

I'm running Win7 64-bit so I cannot run Viva Nanno, unless someone knows how I can make it run on my PC that is.

matmanx1 said:
Did it look to anyone else like the guy in the tech demo was lovingly stroking the screen with his fingers? Just a silly thought I had...

And yeah I'd love to see a new, real, proper RR for the Vita as good as the first couple were.

The screen feels very nice to the touch?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gamasutra article on the developer, Cellius:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35384/Cellius_Namco__Sonys_Secret_Weapon.php

The team is currently working on its first game project, however -- a Ridge Racer title for the PlayStation Vita, which was unveiled at E3 last month. Teramoto, before joining Cellius as a founding member, worked on the series at Namco Bandai.

"We definitely don't" have plans to become a full-time game developer, he says. "This Ridge project is in itself a sort of experiment to see what sort of Ridge game Cellius can come up with; it's a very different development atmosphere from when I was working on Ridge Racer in 2006. So if we do continue making games, I think we'll still remain different from normal game companies."

So how did it come about? It was "Sony that enlisted us for it," he says, "and we also have a lot of people who have connections with NBGI. You had those two sides involved, and ultimately, you had me, who proceeded with it because I thought it'd be interesting to pursue. So it wasn't a one-sided 'do this' sort of request, but a natural collaboration."

SkylineRKR

About Cellius, well, Namco certainly took share from MS by releasing Tekken 6 on the 360 :p

isamu, I have a DS3 but I experienced no rumble in RR7. I checked the control settings menu, nothing there... I'll look into it.

I had Vivanonno once when I ran Vista 32. It was great although textures weren't exactly like the coin op.

I found out that in Ridge Racer 2 for PSP, the Rage Racer track is the same name (unlike the other 2 from the first PSP entry.) It is indeed called Mythical Coast.

Another question, is Ridge Racer 3DS worth getting?

It's so sad to see how this franchise has been handled since the PS2/PSP games.

Everything from the DS and next gen consoles has been completely disappointing to me.

gondwana

Wait, so is it possible that the Cellius Ridge team has pre-Ridge Racer 6 team members and there's a chance we might actually get the first RR in a decade that doesn't have idiot-proof automated drifting and completely uninspired track design? 'Cause, as much as I like the PS360 and PSP games and stuff (despite their deficiencies), I'm thinking they might be internal farm jobs and the real Ridge team has been waiting in the wings the whole time. Possible?

Top Bottom