• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME Review Thread

Really interested in playing this, but I'll wait for a sale. As much as I like to support the Switch, I'll probably get it on Steam to get the most out of the graphics since it looks so amazing.

chekhonte

Well I've gone from on the fence to...even more on the fence.

I do like the art style. I might wait til switch and see how gaffers feel it stacks up.

Stanng243

So people say this game reminds them of Journey? I hated that "game" with a passion. Definitely a wait for sale on this one.

SenkiDala

So people say this game reminds them of Journey? I hated that "game" with a passion. Definitely a wait for sale on this one.

Well people like to compare things that can't be compared. I dunno about Rime/Journey but it could be one of this comparison.

Professor Oak

Neo Member
I don't know if the game will sell a lot of copies, but judging from these review scores it looks like Sony screwed up for letting this one go.

Good job devs, now go out and buy some tequila to celebrate.

Just finished. Pretty underwhelming game unfortunately, the middle of the game is really strong, start fails to be interesting for a long time and the ending is just bleh.

Also a disadvantage of media blackout is that I still thought this game was about puzzles and not a walking/climbing sim xD I enjoy both genres so was not a problem for me, but was kinda strange!

Game is pretty short and exploration can be super tedious thanks to incredibly slow movement speed!

SarusGray

I don't know if the game will sell a lot of copies, but judging from these review scores it looks like Sony screwed up for letting this one go.

Good job devs, now go out and buy some tequila to celebrate.

not really. The Last Guardian filled that niche and plenty of other indies did as well. This game being available to a larger audience was in their best interest.

sn00zer

Glad it worked out for the devs. I was incredibly excited when the game was announced and lost interest after the delays and publisher drop. Can anyone confirm if some of the strong creature imagery from the first trailer made it in?
The Order avatar makes this post all the sweeter.

killroy87

Great review. Out of curiosity, are your incredibly long analogies a schtick for reviews? The intro for this contains the line "What happens when you mix the exploratory gameplay of Journey, the puzzle work from The Witness, and the overall feel of Wind Waker, then you spritz it up with a developer whose name sounds like the end of a sentence when someone asks how to dull the pain after a do-it-yourself tonsillectomy surgery? You get Rime from Tequila Works!"

That, my friend, if some grade-A fluff :p

Lucent

Great review. Out of curiosity, are your incredibly long analogies a schtick for reviews? The intro for this contains the line "What happens when you mix the exploratory gameplay of Journey, the puzzle work from The Witness, and the overall feel of Wind Waker, then you spritz it up with a developer whose name sounds like the end of a sentence when someone asks how to dull the pain after a do-it-yourself tonsillectomy surgery? You get Rime from Tequila Works!"

Yes. That's normal for him. Lol

Ricker

Not sure about the Journey bit...people say that because of the red hooded guy I think...from what I have seen so far,the art style is different and the area's seems a lot brighther then Journey and all...Journey was okay but I never finished it though.

The mixed reviews have me doubting a day one purchase as well...will wait on impressions here tomorrow.

That's like the main reason I watch his reviews :p

Just finished. Pretty underwhelming game unfortunately, the middle of the game is really strong, start fails to be interesting for a long time and the ending is just bleh.

Also a disadvantage of media blackout is that I still thought this game was about puzzles and not a walking/climbing sim xD I enjoy both genres so was not a problem for me, but was kinda strange!!
That we're calling stuff like this a "walking sim" just goes to show how crazy that phrase is

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's really not going to be that crazy for people who play after the first world, platformer is the more accurate term. (Just couldn't think of it which is why I said walkin/climbing sim)

Walking sim and platformer are very distinct genres though. A walking simulator is a game that has you walking on uneventful paths without any challenge and puts all its work into story / presentation / atmosphere. A platformer is a game about skillfully navigating an area with a heavy emphasis on jumping.

Dmax3901

Progress Bar - 8.5/10

Getting swept up in the melancholia of this journey is emotional, cathartic and fun. Rime doesn’t rely on mind-bending puzzles or intense combat to keep you interested, nor does it boast hyper-realistic graphics or characters with hundreds of fully-voice lines. Its simplicity is its greatest strength, allowing it to convey an emotional nuance uncommon in video games. Rime made me feel things that I’m still struggling to define, and I loved every minute of it.

stalker

I got it today and finished about 1 hour ago. I loved it. Objectively there are quite a few weak points but I don't care. The end result is good, very satisfying.

gossi

So they gave me a review copy and I'm many hours in.

It's really good. They really nailed the gameplay. The soundtrack is also amazing.

One thing, if you're super sensitive to frame rates (you probably aren't) it is unlocked on PS4. It varies from 60 to sub 30. They should really lock it.

It's really not going to be that crazy for people who play after the first world, platformer is the more accurate term. (Just couldn't think of it which is why I said walkin/climbing sim)

I think he just meant "Walking sim" is a pretty loaded term around here, particularly for indies these days, where it seems to get thrown at anything and everything and typically in derogatory fashion (somebody called Inside a walking sim recently.)

One thing, if you're super sensitive to frame rates (you probably aren't) it is unlocked on PS4. It varies from 60 to sub 30. They should really lock it.

Yeah i really hope that's not a trend on Pro - locked 30 >>> than unlocked 30+. Maybe they'll patch in the option.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Hey everyone,

I wanted to just stop by again and say thank you all for the feedback and thoughts on RiME. Today has been a very special day for our teams. RiME has been an absolute labor of love and we could not be more thrilled at its reception.

From everyone here at Team RiME, thank you all for the support (whatever side of the spectrum you fell). Your words (both negative and positive) helped make RiME what it is today. This is my first role in the games industry, and my first time working directly with a Community in an official capacity and I will say you guys have been extremely welcoming, so I thank you all for that.

We're not done though, we have launch day to go, so keep that feedback and your thoughts coming!

~Tim

Tarrin

who the hell gave that game a 10???

My GOTY for 2016.

Anyways, pre-ordered Rime for PS4. Can't wait to play when I get home tonight.

I would've bought physical but Amazon is having stock issues, and couldn't deliver it to me until Tuesday. Oh well, got a sweet theme out of it.

bigol

its a good game, but a 10?? come on... with those controls? camera issues that make the game a bit frustrating at times... its just, its not a 10.

It's not just a good game to me, it's one of the most memorable experiences i had in years of videogaming.

I will never forget Trico.

phant0m

Umm, so is this good or bad?

Such a huge gap between the larger sites and some of the smaller sites...

I guess everyone had a unique experience....

I call this the "some people get it, some people don't". Watch some videos, see if it's the type of experience you like. If so, buy it.

Also, do this for all games

its a good game, but a 10?? come on... with those controls? camera issues that make the game a bit frustrating at times... its just, its not a 10.
Again, a 10 doesn't mean the game is perfect, but that it's worthy of the highest rating that site/person can give. Many times, a game's strengths outshines its flaws, sometimes to the point that the flaws are insignificant compared to the overall experience and enjoyment

The comparisons to Journey are disheartening, I was hoping for a lot more solid puzzles and platforming and not just press forward for 2 hours and look at pretty stylistic graphics.

And I enjoyed Journey (and Abzu) for what they were, just not enough to pay for them (Abzu in particular was like 90 minutes). Certainly not 30 dollars.

It's a game unlike anything else out there that completely resonated with me. In fact, it's a game I won't ever forget. I can't imagine giving any game less than a 10 if it manages to make me feel the way The Last Guardian did, even with flaws. And again, as mentioned by others, a 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect.

Is there a demo available? I'd love to get a feel for how it controls. I really wanted to love Ico but I couldn't stand the janky controls/AI. This looks like it could have similar vibes.

Top Bottom