• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME Review Thread

In Short: RiME borrows from the best – including ICO, Journey, and The Witness – but while it’s an amiable adventure it lacks the depth and originality of its would-be peers.

Pros: Beautiful game worlds are a pleasure to explore. Superb soundtrack and lots of puzzle variety.

Cons: None of those puzzles are very difficult or original, and the platforming is even more straightforward. Mishandled storytelling, and a general lack of challenge or context.

Score: 6/10

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/26/rime-witness-a-familiar-journey-to-the-last-guardian-6663365/

stalker

Isn't there an OT? Aren't they usually up before the game releases?

Really sad, this is a very good game.
It seems a lot of interest was lost during all these years, I noticed the same (worse actually) even on spanish forums.

I cannot blame anyone, a few days ago I did not have this on my radar at all, and I missed the previews of earlier this year. I only looked at RiME again after the 9 on Edge.

burgerdog

Someone should just make a ghetto ass OT for now. It's annoying having the discussion split between this and the other thread.

GHG

Need someone with a 3570k and a 970 to test it before I jump in!

Ok I was wrong to be optimistic about this...

Stutterfest on my 980ti 3570k 4.6ghz combo. No matter what settings I drop down, no matter what resolution I chose it's fucked. Random drops from 60 to 30 upon panning the camera and random stutters throughout the opening area. For me, this is unplayable.

Unless something surfaces in the next couple of days (like someone figuring out what the issue might be or there being a patch) then I'm refunding.

Are there some reccomended Nvidia's drivers for this game at all?

Those are some good scores. Did not expect that after Sony dropped it (considering they usually go through with stuff, especially artsy things that can be very uhm.. divisive gameplay wise).

However, reading the criticisms of the lower ranked reviews. Mh. I might still not end up enjoying it as much as the games that inspired it.
Feels like this comes down to the person. My suspicion is that it reviews more favorably with people who just want more Journey, ICO etc. as if that were a sports game genre. Doesn't work for me that way, especially if it feels even slightly borrowed/B-roll.

Cautiously optimistic / waiting for a sale as still busy playing other stuff.

kami_sama

After playing for like 15 minutes, yesh that is some rough performance.
Getting drops to ~45 fps when I pan the camera on a 4670 and 1070.

Deathknell

Another Single-Player game you wont be able to play as soon as you go into Offline mode w/o internet thanks to cancerous denuvo shit.

Gbraga

Well, there you go, now I'm worried.

Does disabling vsync help? You could try using an external solution, like borderless windowed mode and using RTSS to cap the framerate.

ghibli99

After playing for like 15 minutes, yesh that is some rough performance.
Getting drops to ~45 fps when I pan the camera on a 4670 and 1070.
What resolution and detail level (if options are available)?

Edit: Just saw GHG's post above. Doesn't seem to matter. :( Damn.

GHG

Well, there you go, now I'm worried.

Does disabling vsync help? You could try using an external solution, like borderless windowed mode and using RTSS to cap the framerate.

Disabling sync made no difference for me, just made the game tear to hell and back.

DocSeuss

Those are some good scores. Did not expect that after Sony dropped it (considering they usually go through with stuff, especially artsy things that can be very uhm.. divisive gameplay wise).

However, reading the criticisms of the lower ranked reviews. Mh. I might still not end up enjoying it as much as the games that inspired it.
Feels like this comes down to the person. My suspicion is that it reviews more favorably with people who just want more Journey, ICO etc. as if that were a sports game genre. Doesn't work for me that way, especially if it feels even slightly borrowed/B-roll.

Cautiously optimistic / waiting for a sale as still busy playing other stuff.

Sony also dropped Edith Finch, an exemplary game in its genre, and a remarkable accomplishment in game storytelling. What do they know?

jayu26

Sony also dropped Edith Finch, an exemplary game in its genre, and a remarkable accomplishment in game storytelling. What do they know?

That there is not much value to them as an exclusive and the games are themselves better off with wider release. That is my take as they have significantly reduced first party investment on smaller games and have diverted it to AA and VR games.

Game is built with UE4, it would require devs to perform some extended fuckery to make UE4 run badly on PC. PC version will be fine I think.

Well, seems some extended fuckery has happened. A few in this thread are having issues, and it's all over the Steam forums.

Budi

I mean, it looks beautiful and could be fun. But I'm a real sucker for narrative. Still interested though.

I don't have time to play now but I quickly tested it to see about performance and... It's just fine.

I think a lot of people are just blindly going with max settings without realizing that includes supersampling (SSAA). Supersampling has a MASSIVE hit on performance, basically needing to render four times the pixels. With TXAA and everything else maxed I'm getting around 75-100FPS (my monitor's cap) with my 1080 Ti in 3440x1440; AKA, it's really smooth.

So many people just blindly choose max settings without paying attention to what that's actually selecting these days...

GHG

I don't have time to play now but I quickly tested it to see about performance and... It's just fine.

I think a lot of people are just blindly going with max settings without realizing that includes supersampling (SSAA). Supersampling has a MASSIVE hit on performance, basically needing to render four times the pixels. With TXAA and everything else maxed I'm getting around 75-100FPS (my monitor's cap) with my 1080 Ti in 3440x1440; AKA, it's really smooth.

So many people just blindly choose max settings without paying attention to what that's actually selecting these days...

I said something similar earlier but then I'm experiencing the same shitty performance that others are with txas, fxaa and even with AA off. I'm not even trying to downsample, I'm getting shitty performance at 1080p.

Well on console I can't adjust anything, and the framerate is troubling me. So that's a different story compared to PC I guess.

oSoLucky

Did you get laid off by Sony or something? It seems you can't resist going out of your way to let everyone know how awful they are at every turn.

The PS4 theme that came with the game is pretty nice as well. I really wish more studios would give themes and things in that vein to purchasers. Dragon's Crown art book, ReCore controller skin(which I'm still using). That stuff makes me happy.

Ratrat

Is this not great technically? I was thinking about getting it on pc as it will probably take forever for it to release on ps4 in Japan.
G3258 cpu and gtx1060. Is this game more taxing than The Witness?

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah, for starters, it's not going to be 1080p docked.

https://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/401493/Nuevos+detalles+de+Rime+para+Nintendo+Switch/

Tequila Works, a petición de la editora Grey Box, se ha puesto en contacto con Gamereactor para rectificar uno de los datos aportados durante la entrevista: el objetivo del estudio es que Rime corra a 720p30 tanto en TV como en portátil, y no a 1080p30 en el dock como apuntaron originalmente. De ser así, Rime se situaría entre los pocos juegos que no aprovechan la conexión a la base para aumentar la resolución en la televisión (por ejemplo Minecraft Switch Edition está entre ellos, pero es posible que un parche lo actualice a full-HD).

720p/30 in both docked and handheld mode. Of course, we won't know how stable that 30 FPS actually is — or if it's even locked — until launch day.

Top Bottom