• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP PSN account. Hello Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

PK Gaming

Urgh PSN rolled off the tongue.

Still gonna call my future "S-E-N" account a PSN account, because i'm a stubborn rubberman.

SEN? SEN Account?

Miz-Really.jpg

Cookychan

Banned
PSN to SEN? SEN makes a little more sense as Sony expands (like Nintendo Network), but that won't roll of the tongue too well.

Maybe it's intended as SEN not S-E-N.

dab0ne

Maybe this will completely remove region locks including DLC for games not bought in our region of residence.

NeoUltima

With this, and Kaz saying he wants to make gaming a bigger focal point of Sony, I expect Ps4 to be called SES (Sony Entertainment System) or something like similar.

Xbox Live gamertag

Sony Entertainment Network account

One of these sounds good, one does not. It's a very good thing to bring together Sony's digital services, but it's such a lame name. At least have the gaming part have its own name on top of things. Like how an xbl gamertag is effectively a MS ID. And honestly, this isn't really "rational" but to me the Sony name is kind of shitty outside of Playstation and I'd like my Playstation to stuff to still be branded Playstation, not something that makes me think of some shitty Walkman.

Kyoufu

So they're rebranding this so that all Sony devices will connect to an SEN account, and not just Playstation, right?

DrXym

I'm surprised they stuck the word Sony in there. Kind of impedes them selling services or using the single sign on to other with manufacturers who might want to sign up.

Svafnir

This suprises me, I wonder how long it will take to get use too saying "SEN" I really thought PSN was a cool name.

People really care about the name? Come on, in a few weeks, SEN will sound natural to all of you. I think it's a great to gather all these account, on of the most stupid thing about the Playstation Suite for the smartphones market is that you can't use your PSone games you've bought on the PSN. No wonder nobody fucking buys any Playstation games on their phones, the one that are most likely to be interested already have a PSN account.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So they're rebranding this so that all Sony devices will connect to an SEN account, and not just Playstation, right?

Yeah.

It was actually very necessary. If you want a universal login that lots of different device types can plug into, you can't really pigeon hole it by calling it 'Playstation'. I raised that conundrum in other posts before when they announced 'qriocity' and all that stuff.

You could retain separate branding for the service on Playstation products and for everything else, but seems a little messy to me and suggests they're separate accounts when they're really not.

They really need to market this in a bigger way though. Not the name change, but the services themselves. I imagine most people buying these types of products today have no idea about the network/platform backend in the way they would know about, say, iTunes or 'iOS'.

One of Sony's remaining functional problems, though, is that different devices don't necessarily expose the same set of services. The movie and music services can be pretty universal, but on the games/apps side you're quite fragmented. I guess Suite is the first attempt at a more universal games service but it'll take a while for that to establish itself. But it still kind of feels like they don't have all their ducks in a row, and maybe they should before they push it out in a big way, marketing wise.

snap0212

Considering that these accounts are supposed to be our long-time companions, they should finally allow us to change the location of our accounts. In six years, many things can happen and moving to another country is one of them. They should also allow us to change our user names on these accounts.

I'm not sure why Sony doesn't allow it. Microsoft makes some money that way and I can't believe Sony is just missing out on that.

kharak

Neo Member
Spirited Away?

Anybody?

When Yubaba steals Chihiro's name and changes it to Sen?

I'm disappointed!

tumblr_lil11gnqCZ1qehmh1o1_500.gif

This is the first thing I thought when read Sen. After all, the original title is "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi"("The Spiriting Away of Sen and Chihiro").

jaosobno

Finally, Sony is starting Great Product Unification (capitals for dramatic effect). About damn time.

Although, this could be the sign that they are dropping Playstation brand althogether. After PS3, Playstation brand lost much of its former glory. Perhaps it's time for a clean slate?

snap0212

Although, this could be the sign that they are dropping Playstation brand althogether. After PS3, Playstation brand lost much of its former glory. Perhaps it's time for a clean slate?
That might be true but it's not all that relevant. You could say the same thing about the Xbox brand at the end of last gen and the Xbox 360 is doing great for Microsoft. I don't think the brand names are really that important – if a product is good and worth buying, people will buy it.

My guess is they are going to use SEN for stuff like their TVs, Bluray players, Phones, etc as well. I wouldn't be so quick to say that they are dropping the PlayStation brand. Its probably still one of their better brands.

Raonak

Banned
Finally, Sony is starting Great Product Unification (capitals for dramatic effect). About damn time.

No way. It might have lost power in America, but it still holds power in europe. and in japan. (atleast compared to xbox, which is nonexistant)

also, clean state would be a very bad idea; because I don't think they have the advertising money to launch a new brand successfully.
They would have to go "from the makers of the Playstation" for it to even gather much interest from nongamers, in which case; why just not name it Playstation?

Also. look at wii. I don't think names really matter all that much.
Plus, if sony were dropping Playstation, is that implying they're also gonna drop "Xperia", "Viao" and "Bravia"?

The reason for the PSN name change is because like you said, they're unifying services. PSN and SEN are essentially the same thing, actually from what I understand, SEN is just the expansion of PSN onto other devices and meia. And becuase of that, the consoles were the only ones using the name PSN.

Music Unlimited is avaliable on PSN, Im not sure if video unlimited is or isn't and We'll be seeing the comics unlimited(?) sooner or later. It just didn't make sense to have 2 names for what is essentially the same service.

No way. It might have lost power in America, but it still holds power in europe. and in japan. (atleast compared to xbox, which is nonexistant)

also, clean state would be a very bad idea; because I don't think they have the advertising money to launch a new brand successfully.
They would have to go "from the makers of the Playstation" for it to even gather much interest from nongamers, in which case; why just not name it Playstation?

Also. look at wii. I don't think names really matter all that much.
Plus, if sony were dropping Playstation, is that implying they're also gonna drop "Xperia", "Viao" and "Bravia"?

The reason for the PSN name change is because like you said, they're unifying services. PSN and SEN are essentially the same thing, actually from what I understand, SEN is just the expansion of PSN onto other devices and meia. And becuase of that, the consoles were the only ones using the name PSN.

Music Unlimited is avaliable on PSN, Im not sure if video unlimited is or isn't and We'll be seeing the comics unlimited(?) sooner or later. It just didn't make sense to have 2 names for what is essentially the same service.

If you look at it on the Microsoft side, all signs are going towards them calling all of their Media stuff "Xbox". So going by that, Sony really didn't need to change the name. In some way I do wonder if Sony opted for the name change because the PSN name had been tainted by the PSN hacked stuff. Gamers will still put up with shit like that, but maybe non-gamers would stay away from the PSN brand. Otherwise it'd kinda make sense just to keep calling it PSN.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If you look at it on the Microsoft side, all signs are going towards them calling all of their Media stuff "Xbox". So going by that, Sony really didn't need to change the name. In some way I do wonder if Sony opted for the name change because the PSN name had been tainted by the PSN hacked stuff. Gamers will still put up with shit like that, but maybe non-gamers would stay away from the PSN brand. Otherwise it'd kinda make sense just to keep calling it PSN.

Exactly what I was thinking. The PSN name was completely toxic. Changing to SEN serves a couple purposes but one of the most important things is it get rids of PSN which was an absolute anchor on Sony.

I think everybody will get used to SEN after two weeks or so. And if Sony is serious about getting back into phones than the Sony Sensation is simply too sensational to pass up. Especially as a gaming phone, because then it would be the ultimate instrument in a unified product across the Sony brand.

Theonik

They can change the name, I don't give a flying poop, but what does their reason even mean? PSN wasn't already a global enitity?

I am confused.
Basically putting PSN on every entertainment product with network features now, just changing the name because PSN doesn't make sense outside the PlayStation brand.
I wonder if Sony will rename PSN+ as Play Unlimited. A SEN Unlimited subscription plan for all 3 'Unlimited' services could be interesting.
They probably should. It would be dumb not to.

Ravage

I wonder if Sony will rename PSN+ as Play Unlimited. A SEN Unlimited subscription plan for all 3 'Unlimited' services could be interesting.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
They were probably forced to this name chance by Konami as part of the contract of exclusivity for MGS4 SENescence, with trophies and transfarring. Believe!!!

Seriously, the acronym is pretty terrible.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Too bad that they're not letting us change our usernames on this occasion...

I think PlayStation Unlimited will be their online service for PS4, but for PS3 I don't think they will introduce it, free online is too entrenched.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's a little unclear, but I'm not totally sure they're actually ditching the PSN branding altogether, vs ditching the label as it is/was attached to your account. Or, at least, I'm not sure the service itself is going to be renamed SEN.

For example, there already are, and will continue to be, 'sub-brands' for different areas - Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited - and I would guess PSN will also remain as a sub-brand there. Just instead of using a PSN account across these, you'll use a SEN account to log into any of these. Which makes more sense...

A part of me thinks that to be consistent they ought to rebrand PSN as 'Playstation Unlimited' though :p

edit - errrgh, yeah, the Playstation Unlimited suggestion's already been made ^^ Point is that whether it's called PSN or Playstation Unlimited or what, I think the service portion will retain discrete branding, as Music and Video Unlimited are. It's just the common account that's being renamed.

Ravage

I think PlayStation Unlimited will be their online service for PS4, but for PS3 I don't think they will introduce it, free online is too entrenched.

Well i sure hope PSN remains free (at least for online gaming) next gen. I was only suggesting a mere name change for the current Plus service to synergize more with Sony's other subscription services i.e. Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited.

A combined subscription service could provide value to smartphone users who like to have access to 'free' PS Suite games and other multimedia content on the go.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I suspect PSN/PSN+ will remain as a sub-domains within SEN.

Realistically their goal is to expand awareness of products and services across all their product range, not simply to rebrand their core offering.

Top Bottom