• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP PSN account. Hello Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

Vire

Smart but it really should just be one word that be attached to the end of pretty much anything like LIVE.

If it was me I would have continued the Unlimited brand thing they have going,

Call it Sony Unlimited.

They already have Videos Unlimited and Music Unlimited,

Eventually rename PSN to PlayStation Unlimited at some point.

Pretty sure its what the marketing foke call creating a cohesive brand.

Sony Unlimited sounds like a credit card for a bank account.

Yeah no...

Raine

Smart but it really should just be one word that be attached to the end of pretty much anything like LIVE.

If it was me I would have continued the Unlimited brand thing they have going,

Call it Sony Unlimited.

They already have Videos Unlimited and Music Unlimited,

Eventually rename PSN to PlayStation Unlimited at some point.

Pretty sure its what the marketing foke call creating a cohesive brand.

I get what you're saying...but that sounds horrible.

B.O.O.M

When I google image SEN, results were mainly about this rather good looking bollywood actress. Why that's the first thing I did? Have no idea

On topic, I think this is a bit similar to what they did with the Sony Ericsson phones isn't it? Marketing the name Sony more. I will miss PSN but I think this is a smart choice by them

tumblr_lev6fwAEhM1qg7igro1_500.gif
PERFECT

Well, I guess it could get a little better if you photoshop Kaz as Yubaba.

AniHawk

I see this as Sony First step of dropping the unpopular Playstation name and brand.

Maybe Vita will get a rebranding soon too.

my first thought too. maybe they'll keep playstation around, but promote more than just a bigger and bigger number. the vita is just the vita to a lot of people, and they already didn't call it 'playstation portable 2"

You would expect with this change and with Kaz talking all that shit about convergence and whatnot that if I buy a PS1 game and play it on my PS3 I can go to my Xperia Play or Sony Tablet and redownload the same game without paying for it again....that doesn't happen now though and you have to buy the same game twice.

Rebranding is fine. This is to dissociate it with the PSN hacking last year. We really won't know if its good or bad until 12-18 months in.

Remember the Wii naming fiasco. If anything GAF tends to get these things wrong the most.

Agent X

didnt PSN have namebrand recognition by now? so odd at this point.

That's what I think.

If I'm interpreting the initial post correctly, they're simply changing the name of the term for your account from "PlayStation Network account" to "Sony Entertainment Network account". I hope that's the full extent of it, and that they're not totally eliminating the "PlayStation Network" branding for the online network itself. That would be a huge debacle after they spent so much time building the PlayStation Network brand, which has appeared on game boxes over the last 5 years, on prepaid cards, and so on. Despite the phrasing in the E-mail, I also think it could confuse people into thinking that this is some kind of separate network that they need to sign up for.

Everyone I know who plays games on a regular basis knows what PSN is. It's become a part of their gaming vocabulary. People talk about online game services, they talk about Xbox Live and Steam...they will continue referring to Sony's online game service as PSN, no matter what Sony labels it.

Strike

What about it?
It was one of the biggest gaming related stories least year. I could see why they would want to rebrand the service and start with a clean slate. Kind of like how they decided name the Vita as the successor to PSP instead of the PSP2.

V_Ben

Banned
That's what I think.

If I'm interpreting the initial post correctly, they're simply changing the name of the term for your account from "PlayStation Network account" to "Sony Entertainment Network account". I hope that's the full extent of it, and that they're not totally eliminating the "PlayStation Network" branding for the online network itself. That would be a huge debacle after they spent so much time building the PlayStation Network brand, which has appeared on game boxes over the last 5 years, on prepaid cards, and so on. Despite the phrasing in the E-mail, I also think it could confuse people into thinking that this is some kind of separate network that they need to sign up for.

Everyone I know who plays games on a regular basis knows what PSN is. It's become a part of their gaming vocabulary. People talk about online game services, they talk about Xbox Live and Steam...they will continue referring to Sony's online game service as PSN, no matter what Sony labels it.

That's exactly what's happening. It's still the PSN store, but with a SEN account used to log in. So, you use your SEN account on all Sony devices. They're not abandoning the PSN name.

That's exactly what's happening. It's still the PSN store, but with a SEN account used to log in. So, you use your SEN account on all Sony devices. They're not abandoning the PSN name.

Kinda like how your Xbox LIVE account is tied to a Windows Live ID...

Haunted

It was one of the biggest gaming related stories least year. I could see why they would want to rebrand the service and start with a clean slate. Kind of like how they decided name the Vita as the successor to PSP instead of the PSP2.
You mean the Playstation Vita? :p

I can see only two possible reasons for this: they're preparing to abandon the Playstation name for the next console or they're bringing the name of the network in line with the devices it is (and will be) used on, which includes a lot of mobile phones and tablets and other stuff that doesn't have the playstation branding in the first place.

It seems very odd of them not to make this part of a rebranding effort and push it as a security measure. It really just looks like unnecessary rebranding from a consumer point of view.

Nizz

All of my money if you let me change my account handle amid this.
I would love to do this too. Not give em an insane amount of money but I'd be willing to kick out $10 to be able to change my PSN username but keep all my progress in online games, trophies, and content I bought associated with it.

That's what I think.

It would be more confusing to have two different brands like playstation network and sony entertainment network. They need to have one that ties all their devices together.

I really don't think the name playstation is necessary anymore. They've been in this business a long time now, everyone and their dog knows that playstation=sony and that sony=videogames.

Top Bottom