• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP PSN account. Hello Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha, Sprited Away was the first thing I thought of, too.

Well, after WTF. The name change makes sense now, but not the chosen name. SEN is pretty bad.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SENS

Sony Entertainment Network System
"Anything Else Is Non-SENS" ™

I would love to do this too. Not give em an insane amount of money but I'd be willing to kick out $10 to be able to change my PSN username but keep all my progress in online games, trophies, and content I bought associated with it.

I've been wanting to do this shit for the past 5 years.

Midou

I like the name, it does indeed sound sinister, but really people are just bored and entertaining themselves by finding issue with something completely irrelevant.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
street_fighter_4_seth_pkf_21309.jpg

Nooo we are using a naked man's service!!!!

Agent X

It would be more confusing to have two different brands like playstation network and sony entertainment network. They need to have one that ties all their devices together.

That's what they're doing. Sony Entertainment Network "is the name for their overarching network in general. I said they should continue using "PlayStation Network" as the name for the video game portion of the network, and V_Ben's post above confirms that's what they are doing.

Your account will be a singular, unified SEN account--which is exactly as it is now, as your PSN login is also used on services like Music Unlimited. They're just saying that they're referring to the account as an "SEN account" rather than a "PSN account". This is probably just so they can encourage existing PSN users to try out the other SEN services if they haven't done so already.

I really don't think the name playstation is necessary anymore. They've been in this business a long time now, everyone and their dog knows that playstation=sony and that sony=videogames.

I disagree. "PlayStation" is still strong as a video game brand. Many people know that PlayStation is a Sony product, but at the same time "PlayStation" doesn't encompass all of Sony, or even a majority of what Sony does. Doing away with "PlayStation" would be like saying that "iPod" isn't necessary since everyone knows that Apple makes iPods.

hey Sony how about allowing streaming movies like everyone else does in this day and age if you want to roll out this new "entertainment network"? I had $6 in PSN money so I decided to rent Captain America in HD....only to find I had to download the entire goddamn 12 or however many fucking gigs movie and it took an entire day on Sony's shitty servers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
hey Sony how about allowing streaming movies like everyone else does in this day and age if you want to roll out this new "entertainment network"? I had $6 in PSN money so I decided to rent Captain America in HD....only to find I had to download the entire goddamn 12 or however many fucking gigs movie and it took an entire day on Sony's shitty servers.

How bout using one of the several streaming movie apps they have available on the TV/Movie section of the XMB? VUDU and many others do that really well.

edit: ah, you had PSN money. Well still. :p

How bout using one of the several streaming movie apps they have available on the TV/Movie section of the XMB? VUDU and many others do that really well.

edit: ah, you had PSN money. Well still. :p

Yeah I would have used VUDU (which works really well) but I had the free PSN credits. Sony and Amazon need to hurry up and just release a Video on Demand app so I can just use my Amazon account and not have to feed money into other programs though.

x3sphere

From what I gather PSN isn't changing, just the account portion. So you'll just be logging into PSN with a SEN account.

Whether they'll change point cards etc, who knows...

Comet

Yeah that really blows. Sony has the potential to pull all their resources together and give us something special. Hopefully Kaz can pull it off, otherwise Sony is just wasting their potential and allowing MS to completely butt them out of the gaming marketshare.

androvsky

Oddly, I think they do for their TVs and Blu-ray players that have Video Unlimited (aka Qriocity aka PSN Video Store) support. They were demoing streaming of titles from the Video Unlimited apps almost exactly a year ago, and from what I understand that's how the service works on those devices now. Yeah, the PS3 can technically stream purchased PSN videos now, but it's not designed for it. I'm guessing between the hack and getting the Vita out they're still catching up with the PS3.

Acrylic7

I really want them to stop renaming stuff.

I don't like Vita, psp2 sounds better imo. and I would flip if they renamed the PlayStation.

Me and my friends were calling it something like this already, using some fake slang language.

Yo buddy what's on the 'sen today? Good updates?

Naw man, nothing on the 'sen store today."

When I told them the account is now called SEN, laughs were had.

Weenerz

Banned
Me and my friends were calling it something like this already, using some fake slang language.

Yo buddy what's on the 'sen today? Good updates?

Naw man, nothing on the 'sen store today."

When I told them the account is now called SEN, laughs were had.

Your friends and you have terrible banter. Do you call your parents 'rents?

I was never really attached to PSN, but dislike this a little for cutting out the Playstation brand. Otherwise I really think this sounds better.

Zen

Banned
This smells like MBA's and marketing coming up with dumbass ideas that nobody wants in order to justify their salaries

It's probably a precursor to the totally intergrated Sony networked experience that Howaqrd Stringer has been working towards behind the scenes.

Top Bottom