• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Jhn

Are you...this has got to be...this can't be real.

I don't really know why you people are giving this guy such a hard time. That deal, and more precisely the messaging around it was ridiculously anti-consumer and underhanded. If I had more self-control I would have done the same.

But since I don't, let me just state that Nixxes are the fucking best and I love them.
They made the game so much more enjoyable for me. Thanks for listening guys.

Solobbos

The first OT had a bit over 60 pages, this one a lot less than that. I know post counts don't mean that much, but it seems the exclusivity deal really bit this game in the ass.

I for one was hyped as hell for this game, now that I've waited for it for a year, I can surely wait another to buy it for ~12€.

BeeDog

Reached the Flooded Archives just now. Really good game made better by the last patch. Exploring the game world is fun, the combat is quite meaty (if you turn off weapon sounds from the controller; the shotgun feels BEASTLY), there's a lot of stuff to do and collect and the graphics and set pieces are great. The biggest drawbacks so far is the ridiculously easy difficulty in general (you plow through everything with ease) and the absolutely terrible writing and story beats. The voice acting is quite mediocre as well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm loving the game but I have to agree about the Story
The whole villagers guarding a secret treasure thing is ripped straight out of an episode of Stargate SG1, except it works in Stargate because they're not on earth and the whole planet isn't technical advanced.
TR13 it worked due to everyone being cutoff from the world, make no sense here
I hope they don't do this again in the sequel

Devil

Quick question, need to decide wether to return the game unopened or not:

Did the recent patch really fix the input lag issues? Is it perfectly fine now or still wonky?

Thanks!

lazytiger

Neo Member
Fuuuuck my life. 100% completion but the challenges trophy glitched

My condolences, but thanks for the heads up. Might Google this to see if there's anything to do/not do to ensure this doesn't happen. I'm currently chipping away at the 100% and I will be very displeased if I get hit with a glitched trophy. Has only happened to me once and that was AC2 which made me abandon bothering with the platinum.

ArjanN

I'm loving the game but I have to agree about the Story
The whole villagers guarding a secret treasure thing is ripped straight out of an episode of Stargate SG1, except it works in Stargate because they're not on earth and the whole planet isn't technical advanced.
TR13 it worked due to everyone being cutoff from the world, make no sense here
I hope they don't do this again in the sequel

That's a trope that's been in half the pulpy adventure stories ever, Stargate hardly invented that. Although it's true that most adventure stories don't actually play anymore if you take modern technology into account.

Even on Survivor difficulty it's very easy. It's a major flaw in the design in my opinion, especially with the scavenging element which is throwaway even on "survivor".

They added a new diffilculty for this release right? As yeah, even the highest difficulty in the original release was easy really. The scavenging/survival elements really only played in the seperate expedition game mode.

My condolences, but thanks for the heads up. Might Google this to see if there's anything to do/not do to ensure this doesn't happen. I'm currently chipping away at the 100% and I will be very displeased if I get hit with a glitched trophy. Has only happened to me once and that was AC2 which made me abandon bothering with the platinum.

Please post if you find anything. Haven't found anything myself and It's aggravating how I just got 100% but no "Mission" trophy unlocked.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Exploration part of the game is really really good but encounter designs not so much and I hope people didn't pay much for baba yaga dlc it was short as hell

Stopped at the point of no return last night, gonna tackle the rest after work tonight.

I'm really, really happy with the game, for the most part. I'm also glad that apart from
that hall of burned bodies
, the gore level has been toned way, way down.

Then again, I haven't unlocked most of the weapon executions, so I could be totally wrong. But the inexplicable "hey this island that people rarely find but is also littered with rooms full of fresh dismembered corpses" and countless super violent death animations being absent in this one is appreciated.

III-V

I'm playing on Extreme Survivor, the hardest difficulty, for my first playthrough. And most of it is still pretty smooth sailing.

this game is so easy on normal

I'm playing on Survivor because I'm going for the plat and its still pretty easy.

Thanks for the heads up. It makes me sick when normal is easy mode. Ill bump up the difficulty from the beginning.

EDIT: Sometime I notice that certain game mechanics are completely useless on normal, and required on difficulties beyond hard. Thats why its such a wast to play easy mode. Your cheating yourself.

hawk2025

Thanks for the heads up. It makes me sick when normal is easy mode. Ill bump up the difficulty from the beginning.

EDIT: Sometime I notice that certain game mechanics are completely useless on normal, and required on difficulties beyond hard. Thats why its such a wast to play easy mode. Your cheating yourself.

Said mechanics are still useless in Survivor.

I never once ran out of medkits or any other kind of supply needed, save for ones for weapon upgrades.

Thankfully I think this actually makes the game better!

The endless collectibles are not the game's strong suit, so it works out great that you can play through it smoothly without bothering to run around looking for resources and hitting R3 every 10 seconds.

Forgot to add that it's kinda disappointing that (late game spoilers)
the Deathless are basically the Stormguard in Byzantine clothing, right down to enemy types and fighting style. Hell, even the layout of the map where you first fight them pretty closely mirrors the battleground where you fought the Stormguard in 2013. At least they add the city and other encounters with them afterwards.

Bioshocker

OK, so I doubledipped and got this for PS4 as well. Partly because I'm having issues with the game on Xbox One. It seems my save files are corrupt or something, and it's on my second playthrough. I also wanted to support this game again so I decided to go for the Collector's Edition. 90 euros was OK, I guess.

lazytiger

Neo Member
Please post if you find anything. Haven't found anything myself and It's aggravating how I just got 100% but no "Mission" trophy unlocked.

Couldn't find anything either unfortunately. Only someone claiming the challenge achievement was glitched but then discovered they hadn't done the first one in Syria. If it does happen to me, it won't be the end of the world as I have to reply on survivor, which considering how easy everyone is saying it is I should have done initially anyway :D

Only thing I can think of to suggest is that you might have a backup save on psn that serendipitously was before you finished the final mission?

Garlador

So I finished the game last night, did 100% collecting this morning, and tore through the Blood Ties and Lara's Nightmare DLC.

It's pretty awesome, but I admit I enjoyed the first one more, largely because I got pretty sick of the ice and snow after a while.

Not sure if I want to keep going for the platinum. I got 100% achievements on the last game on 360 and platinum'd the Definitive Edition, but something about this one feels... I don't know. More fluff and time wasters, I guess. Less "meaty" trophies and achievements to me.

I think the game still plays well, but I do think the story is typical throw-away game plot material.

Blood Ties just convinces me that dutiful butler Winston needs to return for any future games.

Been saying this awhile myself, and I'd recommend it to anybody let down by UC4.

And man, that patch is a godsend.

It's funny, I bought UC4 At launch and was super hyped by all the E3 coverage. Stopped playing at around
the island
like 5 months ago and never powered it back on. I booted it up again after a few hours of TR and just marveled over the visuals. And then about 15 minutes later I reached a point where Sam was pushing YET ANOTHER CRATE WITH WHEELS to boost Nate up and I turned it off. I have a lot more fun playing TR personally.

nel e nel

While the comparisons to Uncharted are understandable, TR is way more Far Cry than UC4 to me. Straight down to the "Oh shit, there's another island!" reveal.

hbkdx12

I took a break from the story a few days ago and decided to give expeditions a try and boy did my enjoyment of this game increase ten fold.

I really really enjoy endurance mode. It feels great to feel like both the prey and the predator. All the subtleties in the main game that aren't particularly important can mean the difference between life and death in endurance mode. Lara's patented "I'm crouching because enemies are nearby" becomes instantly alarming as you can never be sure when you'll run into enemies, how many there are or where they may be coming from. Lara also looks at things that are of interest whether it be berries, a trap or the direction where an enemy may be.

I also like how the environment and the world around you makes things more difficult as your days progress. Snowstorms become more common, Small and medium food sources disappear leaving only deadly predators as an ample food supply. Fire barrels become non existent and soldiers get upgraded into tougher enemies. My first solo endurance run i made it to day 9 and was legitimately concerned that i would die of hunger as i was frequently starving with blurred vision and hunger pains and going long stretches without finding any animals. In fear that dying would give me no points/credits at all, i quickly lit a signal fire to escape. It was kind of surreal to watch my desperation match Lara's desperation. I had tons of ammo and skills that i knew would let me make almost any enemy encounter trivial, yet the threat of dying was still a real one.

My first co-op experience was an interesting one to say the least. My partner seemed more interested in doing his own thing. At one point they wondered off and got outnumbered by 4 or 5 guys with machine guns. I managed to revive them with 3s left. Then they decided to go explore a crypt on their own and got downed while i was looking for food. I run over there as quickly as i can and end up falling into a spike trap at the beginning of the crypt. Game Over.. I can see how fun it can be if you get someone who's a little more coordinated and less selfish. I wish that when you tagged something that it stayed on the HUD permanently until you tagged something else rather than going away after a few seconds. I've been looking for youtube videos of people making it to day 21 or just really far with skillful play but the results seem to be a bit sparse. It seems like people may not like the mode?

I like the remnant resistance. I've only done one and it and it was an easy one but they seem fun and potentially challenging. its basically like the custom missions from Hitman.

I haven't tried cold darkness or lara's nightmare yet. I really like the challenges and the cards. It does mix up things quite a bit. Its nice too that you get a lot of good cards with the PS4 version. I've just been using some of the permanent ones.

With what i've experienced in the main game thus far, if that's all there was i think i'd be disappointed overall but all the extra content makes this feel like a worthwhile purchase for me.

Reebot

This game is definitely better than Uncharted 4.

Patch did wonders, although I don't think they actually improved input lag at all - they only fixed the dead zone issue. I'll take it, and its enough to make the game fun again.

Playing through again on the hardest difficulty - this game is way too easy. Also the difficulty claims I'll face "more difficult enemies," but I think that's a straight lie.

Anyway, its worth buying now.

Lokimaru

Reached the Flooded Archives just now. Really good game made better by the last patch. Exploring the game world is fun, the combat is quite meaty (if you turn off weapon sounds from the controller; the shotgun feels BEASTLY), there's a lot of stuff to do and collect and the graphics and set pieces are great. The biggest drawbacks so far is the ridiculously easy difficulty in general (you plow through everything with ease) and the absolutely terrible writing and story beats. The voice acting is quite mediocre as well.

You (Both The Player and Lara) survived Yamatai, you really think dealing with more religious wack jobs are going to even faz you? Be realistic. Of course you mow them down, Your not trapped up on that Mountain with Trinity, their trapped up on that Mountain with YOU and it's fucking Tuesday.

I'm not sure if it's because of the latest patch or the fact that I'm taking my sweet time now with the game, but holy hell am I enjoying this game A LOT more on my second play through!

This game is definitely better than Uncharted 4.

g99l4Pn.jpg

Milijango

Has anyone been having lots of gameplay glitches? I've had instances where I lost the ability to sprint, where Lara constantly acted like she was in combat (so I couldn't harvest resources), and one time where enemies spawned inside the terrain (I could hear them and they could throw grenades accurately but not shoot me until I went down a cliff, when the bullets started clipping through scenery to hit me).

Quitting to the menu fixed those things, but that was all in about two hours of play. It's a little worrying.

Any updates on a standard edition for PS4? My brother will not buy the game until it comes on standard since he hates games that uses artbook cases.

Ambitious

I started playing this today and just reached the first camp fire. For some reason, 16 out of 16 outfits are unlocked. Surely, this is not intended?

Ambitious

It is - PS4 version comes with a bunch of DLC costumes and weapons unlocked from the start.

Ah, thanks. I would have assumed so if there were just three or four costumes. But the big number of costumes - and the nature of some of them - to me looked like a glitch that unlocked all costumes in the game.

Montresor

Finished Blood Ties. Wow that was pretty good! And entire 1-2 hour experience with no combat. Not kidding by the way, I found that pretty refreshing.

Can someone let me know if the Lara's Nightmaee dlc has save points or is it a "do this in one sitting" deal?

Toa TAK

Banned
Finished Blood Ties. Wow that was pretty good! And entire 1-2 hour experience with no combat. Not kidding by the way, I found that pretty refreshing.

Can someone let me know if the Lara's Nightmaee dlc has save points or is it a "do this in one sitting" deal?
In one go. It's super short, however.

Deimo5

Early on but I feel like the sheer amount of collectibles might slow my momentum down to the point where I might just skip some.
Also wish Lara didn't narrate what she is doing/intends to do so much.
Otherwise hyped for more Tomb Raider.

Kup

I finished the main game with Platinum yesterday - pleased I held out for the PlayStation 4 in the end as the free DLC additions really add to the overall package for me.

I've just started playing Endurance and so far it's great - not what I expected at all, but that's a good thing.

If anyone would like to play through Co-op Endurance with me, with the aim of unlocking all of the Trophies, just let me know. I'm in the UK (ideally I'd join someone else in the UK as arranging times would be easier) and I have a headset for chat. I'll check back here to see if anyone is interested (or send me a Private Message) - we can exchange Online IDs and arrange a time hopefully.

Kup

Eh.. isn't the input lag supposed to be fixed? There's a short delay whenever I move the left stick. It's very noticeable.

Mine seems fine from what I can tell. Do you definitely have version 1.04 installed?

Not sure if this has come up already, but I have discovered a really easy way to stay warm in Endurance. Just carry
a gas lantern with you that are found in the camps.

Works a treat.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Input lag is still there (feels like) but the deadzone has been significantly reduced. That helped.

For me the auto-center camera is still the worst aspect of the controls. Doubt they'll address that. Idk I might not finish this one.

Montresor

In one go. It's super short, however.

Cheers. I finished it off just now. Completely done with Rise of the Tomb Raider now and loved it. Didn't end up playing any Endurance mode (no interest) and I don't think I'll try out the new Extreme Survivor difficulty.

The main game + Baba Yaga DLC + Cold Darkness DLC + Blood Ties DLC was incredible.

Jennipeg

Input lag is still there (feels like) but the deadzone has been significantly reduced. That helped.

For me the auto-center camera is still the worst aspect of the controls. Doubt they'll address that. Idk I might not finish this one.

Yep, legit terrible. Between that, the bad story, bad acting and strangely uninteresting environments i'm really struggling with this game. I was fully prepared to love it but everything is just so underwhelming to me. The camera is a constant annoyance, and has helped me kill Lara on numerous occasions, I can't ignore it and its making me judge the rest of the game harshly because i'm so fed up with it.

On a positive note, I like that climbing involves multiple mechanics, it's still not difficult but it keeps my brain engaged. Uncharted 4 was a bit automatic and only really got interesting in the last chapter. I also really like the tomb puzzles, basically all of the more traditional Tomb Raider elements are fun. The Uncharted style action does nothing for me here and I wish they would just drop it.

Also, If they make another game, I really hope they give Lara a personality.

BeeDog

Finished the game earlier today, and overall I'd say it's fantastic. Very interesting throughout, with a good mix of platforming, combat, interesting mechanics and exploration. The game is very 'gamey' to put it like that, and I love how it doesn't take away the control from the player that often.

The only criticism I can level at the game, not that most of the shitty input lag has been fixed, is the mediocre story, downright-bad voice acting and writing, and the piss-easy combat. I truly regret not starting the game on the hardest difficulty level (took the second hardest), and the game's combat didn't propose any challenge whatsoever. But, all in all, minor blemishes for such a great game.

Finished the game, definitely an improvement over the first one but the nonsensical story still bothers me. Also the finale which turns the game into a third-person shooter was rather disappointing.

Peru

I think Lara's writing is good in this and even underrated in the first one. Obviously there will be some suspension of disbelief at the sheer number of murders, but that comes with the territory - and outside of that I think these two games successfully have built up Lara as a personality, both a sense of anger and aggression in her and the backstory that ties her to exploration.

The weaker parts have been the surrounding villain stories. In the first one it was simply cheesy, although the original setting of them stuck on the island provided good tension. In the 2nd one it was better, but not wholly memorable. But I really don't get the criticism against Lara as a written character, and I feel it just started with the first one because of some unfortunate comments from the publisher.

Top Bottom