• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

krae_man

I'm confused about the ending.

First, Little weird that the final boss fight is before you get to the fireworks factory. Second, how did Anna and Lara know how to use the fireworks?

Seriously, Anna apparently knew how to activate the source, and Lara knew both a) to shield her eyes so she wouldn't become immortal herself, and a) knew it was fragile and could be destroyed by smashie smashie.

Overall, I loved the puzzles and platforming of the game. Combat was fun as well. Little overboard on the crafting, skill tree, and collectibles etc.

I just hit a break point where I didn't care anymore with the collectibles and some of those skills were just eh. Oh goodie, I can use climbing arrows with using my bow now.

Probably play Croft Manor tonight.

[NaK]

Im at the last bonfire now, and this is by far the most underwhelming experience in quite a while. Im concidering uninstalling it without completion.

The game tries way too hard to keep me busy with firefights, quick time events and "epic" run and jump moments.
It's almost commical at times.

Plus the voice acting is absolutely awful. I actually muted the tv after a couple of hours and have been playing while listening to a podcast since. I can't stand listening to Lara shouting everything outh of breath.

Jennipeg

[NaK];222318091 said:
Im at the last bonfire now, and this is by far the most underwhelming experience in quite a while. Im concidering uninstalling it without completion.

The game tries way too hard to keep me busy with firefights, quick time events and "epic" run and jump moments.
It's almost commical at times.

Plus the voice acting is absolutely awful. I actually muted the tv after a couple of hours and have been playing while listening to a podcast since. I can't stand listening to Lara shouting everything outh of breath.

I'm not keen on Lara's voice acting either, I'm a Brit and I have never in my life heard someone say 'city' like she does. I don't know if it is down to direction but there is nothing natural in the way she speaks.

GeeTeeCee

I finished the Baba Yaga content today, with the exception of a few collectables I presumably don't have the correct gear to reach just yet. It was pretty fun, but short enough that I'm glad it was bundled into this version of the game and I didn't pay for it separately.

If I've got one minor complaint with the game so far, it's that I hate the way a bunch of DLC weapons unlock early on. Now I can't tell which weapons I've unlocked through conventional means, and which are the OP bonus weapons that I don't plan on using in the interests of game balance.

Meneses

If I've got one minor complaint with the game so far, it's that I hate the way a bunch of DLC weapons unlock early on. Now I can't tell which weapons I've unlocked through conventional means, and which are the OP bonus weapons that I don't plan on using in the interests of game balance.

That annoyed me too. I don't know if that's what they intended or if they were unlocked by default due to some glitch, but it kinda made my progression feel less satisfying, in a way.

Milijango

That annoyed me too. I don't know if that's what they intended or if they were unlocked by default due to some glitch, but it kinda made my progression feel less satisfying, in a way.

The weapons you unlocked by yourself will always be on the left. You won't unlock that many, it's easy to keep track of them.

Other than that just avoid anything with a dumb edgy name like Shadowweaver or Venom Cannon.

Milijango

Is the game worth it if I never played it, and really enjoyed the first one?

Is it better than the original?

Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty much an improvement over the first one in every way. I don't think any of the first game's issues were resolved, but what worked in that game works a lot better here, I think.

It's even easier though so I'd recommend kicking the difficulty up 1-2 notches from what you'd normally go with.

leng jai

It's hard to imagine anyone not liking this if they loved the 2013 version. The only reason would be an extreme dislike of collectibles I guess.

HYDE

Banned
Any updates on a standard edition for PS4? My brother will not buy the game until it comes on standard since he hates games that uses artbook cases.
I ordered the Asian version (just like I did DMC4:SE) and it came in a normal blue PS4 plastic case.

Oops dp.

Anyone noticed the standard edition in NA or Europe retailer shops?

14591700_10157509619430632_1827020812759298253_n.jpg

I will NOT get the Artbook edition.... I want the regular one to fit perfectly in my big gaming library I build hard for years.

I ordered the Asian version (just like I did DMC4:SE) and it came in a normal blue PS4 plastic case.

Oops dp.

Mate I asked you this weeks ago and even PMed you but you didn't answer.... please just give me a minute or two from you time and a little help ^_^"

Is the back of the cover and manuals and everything in english? ( and can I of course turn off the subtitle ) and most importantly are all the DLCs inside the game itself or it's a codes I have to redeem in the store to active and download?

And Please PM me for the link to order ASAP would really appreciate it :)

Edit: Just found out that the India version of the game is also in English and comes in regular standard version... do you guys have any idea if Amazon India delivers globally through delivery services like Aramex?

Catman

Banned
Question, and I apologize if something like this has been addressed.

Which do you folks think would be preferable? Playing this game on a PC, with a GTX 760, or on PS4? I tried running the benchmark for this on PC, and I wasn't happy with how it seems to not run at a consistent framerate. It's higher than 30 usually, but it just bounces so much from 30s to 50s, that I don't know if I'd wanna play it like that. Even on lowest settings, it seemed the benchmark ran at most 40-50s.

I realize the PS4 version runs at 30fps, but it'd probably be more consistent at least.

Edit: I'm also considering getting a PS4 Pro, haven't decided for sure yet. I heard this game is supposed to have improvements, but I'm not sure to what end. I don't have a 4k tv, so I'd just be playing at 1080p still.

Did they replace Camilla for the Croft Manor DLC? She sounds completely different, almost drunk. Also the audio quality seems noticeably different so I assume they just recorded them at a remote studio or something.

Blizzje

If I were to look for a great game to test out my ps4 pro and new KS8000 4k hdr tv, would I be interested in grabbing this game again even if I have it for Xbox One and have yet to touch it?

I could also go for Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Which game has the better graphics? (Yes I realise the two games are totally different)

Montresor

Did they replace Camilla for the Croft Manor DLC? She sounds completely different, almost drunk. Also the audio quality seems noticeably different so I assume they just recorded them at a remote studio or something.

You mean Lara's voice actress? She sounded the same to me.

Some of the audio recordings (of Lara's dad especially) seemed like they were intentionally static-y - maybe that's what you're hearing?

nel e nel

So question:

Is Uncle Atlas the dude at the end who told the sniper not to kill Lara?

The reason I'm asking is because after playing Blood Ties, I'm very suspicious of that guy.

So question:

Should I play the Baba Yaga DLC during my first play-through of the game, or should I wrap up the story and come back?

What makes the most sense to do? Narratively/funwise?

Lady Gaia

Should I play the Baba Yaga DLC during my first play-through of the game, or should I wrap up the story and come back?

I think it was intended to be played in the natural course of exploring the world, which is why it is introduced the way it is. That's certainly how I approached and enjoyed it.

Toa TAK

Banned
So question:

What makes the most sense to do? Narratively/funwise?
Play it as you're going through the main game. It doesn't detract from the story and it's more of a glorified side
Mission.

I love the world in this game, and the world building and history they create for it, but I can't help but think they should have given it more of a horror/mystery/unnerving atmosphere.

There was lots of eerieness in Yamatai, but I don't feel that in this game. That was one of the best parts of the first game, that horror adventure atmosphere.

HYDE

Banned
Anyone noticed the standard edition in NA or Europe retailer shops?

14591700_10157509619430632_1827020812759298253_n.jpg

I will NOT get the Artbook edition.... I want the regular one to fit perfectly in my big gaming library I build hard for years.

Mate I asked you this weeks ago and even PMed you but you didn't answer.... please just give me a minute or two from you time and a little help ^_^"

Is the back of the cover and manuals and everything in english? ( and can I of course turn off the subtitle ) and most importantly are all the DLCs inside the game itself or it's a codes I have to redeem in the store to active and download?

And Please PM me for the link to order ASAP would really appreciate it :)

Edit: Just found out that the India version of the game is also in English and comes in regular standard version... do you guys have any idea if Amazon India delivers globally through delivery services like Aramex?

It is exactly what you want and has it all included...buy it and thank me later!

I'll try to remember to upload some pics.

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-20-year-celebration-english-488607.19.jpg

Looks exactly like this...

krae_man

So question:

Is Uncle Atlas the dude at the end who told the sniper not to kill Lara?

The reason I'm asking is because after playing Blood Ties, I'm very suspicious of that guy.

I really don't think it matters. They suck at developing any characters other then Lara and I doubt that will change.

That's my take anyway. I don't care.

Wag

Can't find the PC performance thread on this:

Does the game support SLI yet? I have 3x 980Tis and run @ 4k and the performance is very sluggish. I did the SLI Bits fix and it doesn't seem to really help.

What would be the best settings for my setup?

Which do you folks think would be preferable? Playing this game on a PC, with a GTX 760, or on PS4? I tried running the benchmark for this on PC, and I wasn't happy with how it seems to not run at a consistent framerate. It's higher than 30 usually, but it just bounces so much from 30s to 50s, that I don't know if I'd wanna play it like that. Even on lowest settings, it seemed the benchmark ran at most 40-50s.

I realize the PS4 version runs at 30fps, but it'd probably be more consistent at least.
Why not just cap the game at 30fps with Nvidia Inspector, or one of many similar programs? The PC port is pretty good, so you might be able to squeeze a little more out of it than a PS4 can.

this game is so easy on normal

Hmmm...I've heard this so I started the game on one difficulty above normal and I'm not at this autosave where a heavily armored dude comes out (pretty early in the game), and he keeps mopping the floor with me. I don't have time to get to cover before I'm being barraged from all sides by bullets. I'm thinking of bumping down the difficulty until I get further along the skill tree then bumping it back up. I assume the game will allow for this, right?

GeeTeeCee

I love the world in this game, and the world building and history they create for it, but I can't help but think they should have given it more of a horror/mystery/unnerving atmosphere.

There was lots of eerieness in Yamatai, but I don't feel that in this game. That was one of the best parts of the first game, that horror adventure atmosphere.

I can agree with this. I used to dread heading into caves and dark places in the previous game for fear of what might jump out,even when nothing did.

Also, (spoilers for possible late game content) I'm about to head into the
flooded archives, and while I haven't met them yet, the "Deathless Swordsmen" would probably be a lot more impactful if they'd been teased and hinted at rather than a character straight up telling Lara beforehand "there's some creepy dudes down below the archives!" and the trophy list outright spoiling their existence.
Show, don't tell.

Also, 1.05 patch just popped up on my PS4. Says "further improvements to input lag" and bug fixes.

UrbanRats

Posted in the PC thread, but that one seems dead, so...
--
So can someone confirm whether or not you break line of sight in this game, and whether or not these Trinity goons have a hive mind, so as to when one spots me (and i kill him before he can even utter a word or react, with an arrow to the skull) everyone in the area immediately knows where i am?
I need these points clarified before i decide to spend more of my time with stealth in this game.

It seems pretty suspicious how i distanced one guy by a long stretch, even going around several corners and hiding in bushes, yet this guy instantly know where i was and where i was hidden.
--

JP

I'm sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere but I've just had another update on the PS4, I haven't tried it yet but it seems they've improved the controller inputs again:
Version 1.05
  • Further improvements to input lag
  • Fixed some issues with trophies not unlocking
  • Various bugfixes

Meowster

I'm about 3/4ths into the game. I'm having a blast with it so far, I am enjoying the plot more this go around and the few characters that are in the game aren't the carbon caricatures that the first game had. The tombs themselves are very ace. I feel like this is a little closer to the original Tomb Raider games. Kinda want to replay TR2013 once I'm done though. Forgot how much I loved it.

Playing on Survival is fun too.

Patch 1.05 is out now!

Further improves input latency!

I tried it out last night and it's pretty much PERFECT....

However, I seem to be having frame rate stutters now that I don't remember from before. It looks more jittery with small micro-stutters everywhere.

Can anyone else confirm that the frame rate has gotten worse with 1.05?

Patch 1.05 is out now!

However, I seem to be having frame rate stutters now that I don't remember from before. It looks more jittery with small micro-stutters everywhere.

I noticed them as soon as I booted up after updating. So that's a bummer. Hopefully PS4 Pro performance boosts rectify that.

On an entirely different note, without getting into spoilers, can someone tell me if this entire game takes place in this frozen tundra? I feel like I've been at the "hub world" forever now (Soviet Installation and the surrounding area with the caves and the mill structure and what not).

In TR 2013 I felt like the game had a lot more variety, even though everything took place on that island. Here it's like I'm seeing the same things over and over again, but maybe that's just me. I'm also around 40% complete, if I'm not mistaken.

I like the game, I just wish things didn't feel like they've slowed to a crawl once I got to the Soviet base area.

markstuckert

Neo Member
Patch 1.05 is out now!

Yes! It’s gone! Or at least I can no longer detect it… $80 (Canadian prices) not wasted!

TheBear

Never played the first one, but as I understand it was more or less an Uncharted clone. Is this game much different, from both the original and Uncharted games? I own the first one but never got around to playing it, might just jump into this one if it has more of a focus on platforming and exploration than the Uncharted games

Oneself

Never played the first one, but as I understand it was more or less an Uncharted clone. Is this game much different, from both the original and Uncharted games? I own the first one but never got around to playing it, might just jump into this one if it has more of a focus on platforming and exploration than the Uncharted games
You should play the first one then and see if you like it. IMO it has more focus on gameplay than Uncharted (thank God because TR's story is attrocious). See if the gameplay suits your taste.

On an entirely different note, without getting into spoilers, can someone tell me if this entire game takes place in this frozen tundra? I feel like I've been at the "hub world" forever now (Soviet Installation and the surrounding area with the caves and the mill structure and what not).

In TR 2013 I felt like the game had a lot more variety, even though everything took place on that island. Here it's like I'm seeing the same things over and over again, but maybe that's just me. I'm also 33% complete, if I'm not mistaken.

So anyone care to comment on this?

Adryuu

So anyone care to comment on this?

Haven't finished yet but that's not the only zone that feels like a hub and there's actually a quite different, extensive place later on. With a nice lead up to it. I hope there's even more though, not just two hubs.

The map seems to have even more places so I hope for even a third hub, but I'm not sure on that.

Also I hope it's not just two thematic hubs but more stand alone zones in between, that I think is quite possible.

Top Bottom