• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 4K comparison: Xbox one X vs PS4Pro vs PC

I made this comparison yesterday. Ps4 pro vs x1x:

ps4pro7as8t.jpg

xboxpws69.jpg

Dehnus

The gamma setting was incorrect as well.

Because 4K has the extra graphics capabilities turned off, sure it would look sharper, but it would also look far worse and really show the big differences in fidelty. But it seems we have Salty Sony Ponies, Peppery PC Master Racers and Boastful X-bots in this thread.. so this Schwifty Switch kangaroo is clocking out before it really gets out of hand... time to get Schwifty Ya'll!

I don't know about this comparison. The PS4 Pro version looks horrible. I don't believe it looks that bad. Also, I can't imagine the Xbox One X version looking better than the PC version. I may be wrong here, but something is fishy with this video.

Ill wait for DF. I just want to see if the supposedly new aa works well. Even at 4k the pc version looks like absolute ass in any scenes with even a bit of contrast, specular or vegetation due to the extreme aliasing

Did you by any chance buy a PS4 Pro?
Yess but that was an easy buy since I already had an PS4. I don't have a an Xbox yet but was slightly interested in buying a XBX for multiplats such as this but to me judging by those screens I don't find the 500$ justified. Will wait though and look at the comparison later on my 4K tv since I bet the phone screen don't properly display them correctly.

jelly

The only bad thing I really noticed overall with console Rise is the shimmering in the trees and AF being next to non existent. Game mostly looks great on whatever platform.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Because 4K has the extra graphics capabilities turned off, sure it would look sharper, but it would also look far worse and really show the big differences in fidelty. But it seems we have Salty Sony Ponies, Peppery PC Master Racers and Boastful X-bots in this thread.. so this Schwifty Switch kangaroo is clocking out before it really gets out of hand... time to get Schwifty Ya'll!

What has the wrong gamma value to do with resolution??

The only bad thing I really noticed overall with console Rise is the shimmering in the trees and AF being next to non existent. Game mostly looks great on whatever platform.
Judging by that video, there is a clear difference between PS4 Pro and X1X. I don't trust this video, but there is a differences, if to trust this source.

ISee

Wait that's too blurry. Is he comparing the PS4Pro 1080p mode vs XOX 4k mode? Also pure hair (and other stuff) is deactivated on PC...

lol

This video is unworthy for GAF.

That PC footage is completely busted and even the quality of the PS4 Pro footage looks suspicious; why is it blurry at 1080p, where it should be sharp because the game runs at that resolution? Even base PS4 looks better than that.

Better wait for Digital Foundry.

First comparison thread and it's already turned to accusations of fanboys doing the comparisons. Man, DF threads are gonna be a bloodbath come November and onward.

Mikey Jr.

Pro version recorded in 1080p, x version in 4k.

Dat fair comparison.

Will wait for an actual reputable video, not some dude.

Mauddib

Banned
Incompetence or an agenda to push, take your pick.

Are you implying that DF is trying to make the PS4 Pro version look bad on purpose? Honest question - I haven't actually played the Pro version, but I've been considering picking it up. Does the game actually look better than what was shown in this video? I don't know if I've been spoiled by all the 4k goodness lately, but that video made the game look like 720p on the Pro which can't possibly be the case.

I made this comparison yesterday. Ps4 pro vs x1x:

ps4pro7as8t.jpg

xboxpws69.jpg

6 > 4
Monster
Almost Unfair
Terrifying Clarity

^^^none of these come to mind when I look at these two screens side by side.
It's a Negligible difference, even on a 4k TV (on 1080p TV it would be the same)

I don't think that is worth $100-$150 more.

This is just one instance, but those are my thoughts.

Which is which? As a regular gamer I dont see difference!
hones question

Textures my good man. Take a look at the rock formation on the left, it is more defined in the X version, with what someone would call blurry in the Pro version. Like turning up sharpness, but as others mentioned, definitely wait for a DF comparison, with all modes compared, coming from the source machine itself.

glow

Banned
You've gotta feel really insecure about your preferred platform if you have to purposely gimp the competition in comparison videos. Yes the X1X version looks very good but don't try to pretend it will ever look better than it running on a high spec PC.

dcb2821

I have no problem with saying that obviously the pc version has higher limits and can go 4k/120fps. But its pretty impressive what the Xbox One X is doing here for a $500 console. How much would it take to get a PC that runs it at 4k/60+ fps? Probably a good chunk of cash

Ushay

For a £450 console, this is competing quite well. Saying otherwise is simply disengenuious.

Also, who put this video together?

Fredrik

Rare indeed. Can you give some other examples? 😏
Tomb Raider (2013) on PC doesn't even come close to Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4. But I doubt that Rise will get the same visual overhaul, it looks very very similar.
What bothers me here though is that there is no talk what so ever about the framerate. That's like the dumbest thing to ignore when comparing PC visuals to console visuals, pretty games on console rarely go above 30fps but can go up to 100fps easily on PC with the right hardware.

Lister

Banned
Tomb Raider (2013) on PC doesn't even come close to Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4. But I doubt that Rise will get the same visual overhaul, it looks very very similar.
What bothers me here though is that there is no talk what so ever about the framerate. That's like the dumbest thing to ignore when comparing PC visuals to console visuals, pretty games on console rarely go above 30fps but can go up to 100fps easily on PC with the right hardware.

Aren't the only differences god rays and some animations on foliage and her gear? Also textures are still worse and so are the load times.

ethomaz

Banned
I see that mister media x is starting the campaign to justify the xbox one x already. This comparison suspect af. LOL
At least this time he doesn't need to create illusory double GPU unleashed power 10TFs to try to pass XB1 as a powerful machine.

XB1X is indeed powerful.

Tagyhag

Wow, I was about to say that I was impressed at the extra work but the video creator clearly didn't put the Pro and the PC at their best. I wonder why?

"Doesn't even come close"

Come on now, I agree that the PS4 version has some better assets. But put the PC version at 4K/120fps, and full TressFX on and you don't consider that to be close? Hell, the IQ itself is much better unless you're willing to argue that 1080p > 4K.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Aren't the only differences god rays and some animations on foliage and her gear? Also textures are still worse and so are the load times.

plus unlimited resolution, framerate and controller options. and semi nude mods lol

brawly

I think I'll wait for Digtal Foundry/NX Gamer.

I do want to replay it but if it still has the input lag problem it'll be Pro by default.

Don't really need youtube comparisons, which are already suspect due to the compression that will be present, to know that the Xbox One X version of this game and most games will come about as close as any console can come to high quality PC settings at a $500 pricepoint, which is the reason it exists in the first place.

I can't wait to get my hands on the console.

I think I'll wait for Digtal Foundry/NX Gamer.

I do want to replay it but if it still has the input lag problem it'll be Pro by default.

Why would the xbox one x version have an issue that even the regular xbox one version doesn't?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That PC footage is suspect.

The exact positing is a little different, pottentially a few seconds before or after the alleged PC screen in the video but this screen is taken from the Geforce website showcasing the "Very High" Texture Quality setting

This is from the video:
This the same finding I had when I compared my direct capture from my PS4 pro to the capture in the other thread which someone just posted
The comparison shot was fussy and washed out but mine was vivid and sharp

Top Bottom