• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 4K comparison: Xbox one X vs PS4Pro vs PC

FN-2187

6 > 4
Monster
Almost Unfair
Terrifying Clarity

^^^none of these come to mind when I look at these two screens side by side.
It's a Negligible difference, even on a 4k TV (on 1080p TV it would be the same)

I don't think that is worth $100-$150 more.

This is just one instance, but those are my thoughts.

Well, I don't know who expects anybody to look at a PS4 Pro to Xbox One X comparison and come away thinking they need to throw their Pro in the trash. The X is an upgrade over the S. So a comparison of footage to say "Is it worth the upgrade?" should be vanilla One to X.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So the video shows a watered down PC version and none-4k PS4Pro version as comparison?

Waiting for Candyland or Digital Foundry comparisons.

Don't really need youtube comparisons, which are already suspect due to the compression that will be present, to know that the Xbox One X version of this game and most games will come about as close as any console can come to high quality PC settings at a $500 pricepoint, which is the reason it exists in the first place.

I can't wait to get my hands on the console.

Why would the xbox one x version have an issue that even the regular xbox one version doesn't?

Xbox One version suffers from noticeable input lag. All versions handled by Nixxes (Xbox 360, PS4 and Pro) don't.

So there's some hope that, since Nixxes is helping with the Xbox One X enhancements, this will be fixed.

Fredrik

"Doesn't even come close"

Come on now, I agree that the PS4 version has some better assets. But put the PC version at 4K/120fps, and full TressFX on and you don't consider that to be close? Hell, the IQ itself is much better unless you're willing to argue that 1080p > 4K.
Haven't played it in 4K but the resolution was never the problem imo, the PC version looks hires enough in 1080p too but also kind of lifeless in comparison, the extra animations for the vegetation and weather etc on DE makes a huge difference.

Whats next comparing original ps4 vs xbx and saying xbx looks better then pc...
Oh no wait how about comparing the pro vs xbox one s. Like philly spencer said it was comparing to....

Fredrik

Xbox One version suffers from noticeable input lag. All versions handled by Nixxes (Xbox 360, PS4 and Pro) don't.

So there's some hope that, since Nixxes is helping with the Xbox One X enhancements, this will be fixed.
From another thread:
This table is rather surprising after all the input lag talk on consoles, especially the XB1 version.
knipselt5kvv.png

So I don't know, is it really the input lag that is the problem? (It never bothered me but I'm not a frame counter type of guy)

Tagyhag

Haven't played it in 4K but the resolution was never the problem imo, the PC version looks hires enough in 1080p too but also kind of lifeless in comparison, the extra animations for the vegetation and weather etc on DE makes a huge difference.

I agree, (Though the tradeoff is that Definitive edition Lara is lifeless :p) but considering how much other things are better on the PC version, acting like they're worlds apart is a huge hyperbole.

beastlove

I am interested to know if the xbox one x maintains 60fps at 1080p at the highest graphic setting. The Pro had 2 options (one for better graphics and the other for performance). I think neither did 60fps in the geothermal valley.

Theorry

I am interested to know if the xbox one x maintains 60fps at 1080p at the highest graphic setting. The Pro had 2 options (one for better graphics and the other for performance). I think neither did 60fps in the geothermal valley.

In the dev interview with IGN. The dev said. 60fps most of the time"

Gren

Are you implying that DF is trying to make the PS4 Pro version look bad on purpose? Honest question - I haven't actually played the Pro version, but I've been considering picking it up. Does the game actually look better than what was shown in this video? I don't know if I've been spoiled by all the 4k goodness lately, but that video made the game look like 720p on the Pro which can't possibly be the case.
The video isn't by DF, just some rando on YouTube. Hence so many posts saying they'll wait for Eurogamer.

Fredrik

I agree, (Though the tradeoff is that Definitive edition Lara is lifeless :p) but considering how much other things are better on the PC version, acting like they're worlds apart is a huge hyperbole.
The textures and hair physics? To me it didn't change the outcome, PS4 still had the prettier version, imo.
But this is a special case, it was almost a remake while the PC version was based on the 360 version. Same thing happened with DOA5LR btw. I'm sure there are other examples as well.
With Rise it's a bit different, to me it just looks like the XBX version have the Ultra settings applied, and the PC version isn't running at Ultra settings in the video for some odd reason. And like I said, the framerate is still unknown.

The textures and hair physics? To me it didn't change the outcome, PS4 still had the prettier version, imo.
But this is a special case, it was almost a remake while the PC version was based on the 360 version. Same thing happened with DOA5LR btw. I'm sure there are other examples as well.
With Rise it's a bit different, to me it just looks like the XBX version have the Ultra settings applied, and the PC version isn't running at Ultra settings in the video for some odd reason. And like I said, the framerate is still unknown.
agrihd

I think X1X will have ultra PC textures + some other features but won't have anything new added a la TRDE (although I still wish that had come to PC).

Caayn

From another thread:

So I don't know, is it really the input lag that is the problem? (It never bothered me but I'm not a frame counter type of guy)
To be fair. After having read the input lag article by Digital Foundry from last month I doubt the accuracy of those numbers. Take H5 for example, DF came around at 63.0ms whereas NXGamer had 125ms. Not a jab at NXGamer just a weird thing I and others noticed.

Respective GAF threads: DF, NX
When DF do proper comparisons what PC setup will they use?

No point comparing the Pro/1X to a $1000 PC.
It's still interesting to see how large or small the gap is between these "premium" consoles and a high-end PC.

SZips

I think I'll hold off for something from a reputable source like Digital Foundry. This kind of shoddy comparison does nobody any favors.

Fredrik

To be fair. After having read the input lag article by Digital Foundry from last month I doubt the accuracy of those numbers. Take H5 for example, DF came around at 63.0ms whereas NXGamer had 125ms. Not a jab at NXGamer just a weird thing I and others noticed.

Respective GAF threads: DF, NX
The specific numbers don't matter for this discussion though since all versions were compared the same "wrong" (?) way. The XB1 version clearly doesn't have horrible input lag compared to the PS4 versions at least, maybe compared to PC though which isn't tested here.

Caayn

The specific numbers don't matter for this discussion though since all versions were compared the same "wrong" (?) way. The XB1 version clearly doesn't have horrible input lag compared to the PS4 versions at least, maybe compared to PC though which isn't tested here.
Point taken.

Oh boy, the next couple months of x v pro dawn of gaf is going to be fun. That being said, i think the x version looks great, but that pc comparison definitely isnt showing the game at its full potential. Lets keep in mind that, impressive as it may be, this is still a 500 dollar box that will always pale in comparison to what a 1000 plus dollar machine can do. I say this as someone who pre ordered an xbox one x

Tagyhag

Nah the fact that they made Lara look like a supermodel who can't emote in the remaster.

I think the PS4 version is prettier in some ways, but not IQ, they can touch it up but you can't do anything to make 1080p look sharper than 4K.

That's of course, not even mentioning the framerate. It's not 60fps on PS4 as much as people assume that it is.

Hawk269

6 > 4
Monster
Almost Unfair
Terrifying Clarity

^^^none of these come to mind when I look at these two screens side by side.
It's a Negligible difference, even on a 4k TV (on 1080p TV it would be the same)

I don't think that is worth $100-$150 more.

This is just one instance, but those are my thoughts.

Is it not a bit ignorant to come to this conclusion based on 1 image of an incomplete version to cast aside what the advantages that the Xbox One X can provide?

In addition, the capture is taken from a video, which has some compression and artifacts as well. But go ahead and disregard the advantages for something that is still 2+ months out and only one screenshot to compare.

Mr Moose

Is it not a bit ignorant to come to this conclusion based on 1 image of an incomplete version to cast aside what the advantages that the Xbox One X can provide?

In addition, the capture is taken from a video, which has some compression and artifacts as well. But go ahead and disregard the advantages for something that is still 2+ months out and only one screenshot to compare.

No it wasn't.

http://press.na.square-enix.com/products/p286/rise-of-the-tomb-raider

I think they quoted the wrong person lol.

Syrus

Banned
Well, I don't know who expects anybody to look at a PS4 Pro to Xbox One X comparison and come away thinking they need to throw their Pro in the trash. The X is an upgrade over the S. So a comparison of footage to say "Is it worth the upgrade?" should be vanilla One to X.

You watch it in 4k and HDR?? Nope. This comparison is worthless

longdi

Banned
The first thing that stood out when i watched the XBX trailer, was how janky the animations looked among the cleaned up visuals. I guess MS should asked that a big part their moneyhat goes into improving the animations. That would have show up more of the power potential. Now its like putting fresh coat of paint over an old motor

Head.spawn

The first thing that stood out when i watched the XBX trailer, was how janky the animations looked among the cleaned up visuals. I guess MS should asked that a big part their moneyhat goes into improving the animations. That would have show up more of the power potential. Now its like putting fresh coat of paint over an old motor

What kind of shit post is this? It's the same animations on PS4/PS4 Pro/PC/XBO/360? (I dunno, haven't played that version).

You expect them to redo all of the games animations for a free update? Thats borderline absurd.

Top Bottom