• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Input Lag Tested - Call of Duty vs Battlefield vs Overwatch vs Halo 5

Certinty

Can't say that's too surprising. Call of Duty has always felt the best to play of pretty much any shooter.

Infinite Warfare has 1/2 the latency of Doom 2016. Amazing work on Infinity Ward's part.

I reckon it would be interesting to go back and look at some 6th generation games, since you had stuff like TimeSplitters and Nightfire and Metroid Prime running at 60fps, while many other FPS titles, including Halo, ran at 30fps. Input latency wasn't really talked about back then, but it's a huge factor for "crisp" controls.

Caayn

Thanks for the link. Shame that they hadn't been able to look into differences between consoles yet.

Battlefield 3 (PS3): 157.7ms
Battlefield 4 (PS3): 97.6ms
Battlefield 4 (PS4): 63.7ms
Battlefield 1 (PS4): 56.1ms
CoD MW2 (PS3): 77.7ms
CoD IW (PS4): 39.3ms
CoD MWR (PS4): 40.3ms
Doom (PS4): 86.6ms
Halo 5 (XB1): 63.0ms
Killzone SF SP (PS4): 110.0ms
Killzone SF MP (PS4): 89.9ms
Overwatch (PS4): 76.8ms
Titanfall 2 (PS4): 71.8ms
Can't say that's too surprising. Call of Duty has always felt the best to play of pretty much any shooter.
Exactly. For all the hate CoD gets, the gameplay always felt faster and more responsive compared to other games.

Great, I hope input lag tests become far more common. They're 1000000x more interesting to me than seeing which version has a higher res rock texture.

geordiemp

Gun play and feel of Bo3 has never had much competition on console IMO.

No surprises.

Talking about COD MP, dont play SP.

haikira

PS3

77.7 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
97.6 Battlefield 4
157.7 Battlefield 3

PS4

39.3 Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
40.3 Call of Duty Warfare Remastered
56.1 Battlefield 1
63.7 Battlefield 4
71.8 Titanfall 2
76.8 Overwatch
86.8 DOOM
89.8 Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer
110.0 Killzone Shadow Fall Single Player W/ FPS Lock Enabled

X1

63.0 Halo 5 Guardians

EDIT: I've been beat to the punch.Oops.

Atolm

Would be nice to see comparisons on PC, though I guess it's almost impossible to give accurate numbers.

illamap

I remember df going about how prettiness of the game would have impact on input lag on iw video. Turns out iw has much better latency than TF2. Not criticising it's just about marketing mostly.

Id be curious to see how the PS4 games stack up against XB1. I always hear Xbox games have less controller lag, and it would be nice to see if thats actually the case. Also im surprised to see Halo 5 that much higher than COD and Titanfall. It feels so fast compared to the rest on that list. Call of Duty still looks to be king.

Some games handle online differently when it comes to controls as well. Titanfall gets significantly laggier when online compared to singleplayer. Where as something like Halo 5 and Infinite Warfare does not.

JoeLT

Id be curious to see how the PS4 games stack up against XB1. I always hear Xbox games have less controller lag, and it would be nice to see if thats actually the case. Also im surprised to see Halo 5 that much higher than COD and Titanfall. It feels so fast compared to the rest on that list. Call of Duty still looks to be king.

Some games handle online differently when it comes to controls as well. Titanfall gets significantly laggier when online compared to singleplayer. Where as something like Halo 5 and Infinite Warfare does not.
Halo 5 was around 10ms more responsive than TF2 though?
This is a pretty surprising to see all in all tbh, Infinite Warfare has a TON of post processing going on. There's some amazing motion blur, dynamic resolution buffer, there's some temporal reproduction as well as TAA too.

Would be interesting to see a comparison between Xbox One and PS4 seeing as other tests have shown XB1 having worse lag.

Neith

Banned
Thanks for the link. Shame that they hadn't been able to look into differences between consoles yet.

Battlefield 3 (PS3): 157.7ms
Battlefield 4 (PS3): 97.6ms
Battlefield 4 (PS4): 63.7ms
Battlefield 1 (PS4): 56.1ms
CoD MW2 (PS3): 77.7ms
CoD IW (PS4): 39.3ms
CoD MWR (PS4): 40.3ms
Doom (PS4): 86.6ms
Halo 5 (XB1): 63.0ms
Killzone SF SP (PS4): 110.0ms
Killzone SF MP (PS4): 89.9ms
Overwatch (PS4): 76.8ms
Titanfall 2 (PS4): 71.8ms
Exactly. For all the hate CoD gets, the gameplay always felt faster and more responsive compared to other games.

I don't care how fast or responsive it is. I can't stand the TTK and the gameplay just never clicked for me. I prefer TDM in BF1 by a mile over any kind of TDM in COD.

Jhn

Great stuff, please do more content like this.
I'd really like it if you started including input lag measurements in your standard tech analysis videos.

This is a pretty surprising to see all in all tbh, Infinite Warfare has a TON of post processing going on. There's some amazing motion blur, dynamic resolution buffer, there's some temporal reproduction as well as TAA too.
I thought they disabled during motion blur during gameplay in Call of Duty IW on consoles? It may be on in cutscenes though.

Would be interesting to see a comparison between Xbox One and PS4 seeing as other tests have shown XB1 having worse lag.

I guess i more meant Call of Duty rather than TF2. Halo 5 feels so much quicker than TF2, thats why i find it wild. Either way, a console comparison would be nice. Also while we are at it, i would like to see a comparison between wireless and wired PS4/XB1 controllers. But i guess thats getting too granular.

Durante

Would be nice to see comparisons on PC, though I guess it's almost impossible to give accurate numbers.
Why? There are lots of methodologies to measure this.

This article does it. You can get Overwatch down to 31 ms in an ideal scenario, and CS:GO down to 20 ms. (I think these numbers are inherently somewhat higher than those used in the DF tests due to the testing methodology)

JoeLT

I thought they disabled during motion blur during gameplay in Call of Duty IW on consoles? It may be on in cutscenes though.
There's definitely some really great motion blur, it's really noticeable on the gun bobbing when you sprint in multiplayer. It has the smoothest 60fps of any game I've played. Shame the MP is garbage IMO.
I guess i more meant Call of Duty rather than TF2. Halo 5 feels so much quicker than TF2, thats why i find it wild. Either way, a console comparison would be nice. Also while we are at it, i would like to see a comparison between wireless and wired PS4/XB1 controllers. But i guess thats getting too granular.
Would love to see this!

BigEmil

Best Cod this gen Black Ops 3 wasn't tested but MWR and IW that not many people own or play compared to BO3 was tested? Wut

There's definitely some really great motion blur, it's really noticeable on the gun bobbing when you sprint in multiplayer. It has the smoothest 60fps of any game I've played. Shame the MP is garbage IMO.

Pretty sure it dips into the 50s quite often, especially with loads of shit blowing up.

Venom.

I'm not a regular player of FPS games but if it's historically been the case that Call of Duty games have all had the lowest input lag then this would contribute to the feel of them which may be the overriding factor that compels so many gamers come back to the franchise year after year.

BigEmil

Pretty sure it dips into the 50s quite often, especially with loads of shit blowing up.
Only in campaign, in multiplayer for all cod's on console stable 60fps.

For it's campaign it doesn't matter too much the fps drops just to make more pretty scripted scenes, the multiplayer is what matters for more stable fps

nOoblet16

@ NXGamer

These results compare differently than yours. The Halo 5 number in your analysis was atleast 2X the one found here. Any idea on what is causing this discrepancy? Perhaps your testing includes elements not accounted for in DF's analysis?

nOoblet16

COD MP has been almost flawless 60FPS since Black Ops 2 in almost all platforms. PS4 version of Ghosts and WiiU version of Black Ops 2 being the two exception. And even in campaign Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare provide a very solid 60FPS, more so in the Pro (where even Black Ops 3 campaign performs very solidly)

Only in campaign, in multiplayer for all cod's on console stable 60fps.

For it's campaign it doesn't matter too much the fps drops just to make more pretty scripted scenes, the multiplayer is what matters for more stable fps

I assume we're talking about PS4 here and not Xbox One, because I definitely remember dips on Black Ops 3 MP when I played that version.

@ NXGamer

These results compare differently than yours. The Halo 5 number in your analysis was atleast 2X the one found here. Any idea on what is causing this discrepancy? Perhaps your testing includes elements not accounted for in DF's analysis?
I would assume NXGamer's testing method includes things like TV monitor latency, which I believe the method DF is using bypasses.

I assume we're talking about PS4 here and not Xbox One, because I definitely remember dips on Black Ops 3 MP when I played that version.
Generally speaking, the XBO versions of CoD titles struggle to hold the same 60fps standard of the PS4 counterpart.

ethomaz

Banned
Why not include Destiny?

@ NXGamer

TV input lag added.

Ardenyal

Would be interesting to see if the different performance vs image quality settings make a big difference in input lag. Probably a very marginal difference but still.

SebastianM

I knew there was something iffy about Halo from the moment I turned the right stick.

COD IW on the other hand feels amazing with the DS4, say what you want about "new" Infinity Ward but they definitely know their shit when it comes to technical aspects.

EDIT: Wish they could've done Black Ops 2, recently went back to it via XBone BC and the aiming feels really off, I don't remember it being this way back in the day.

JoeLT

PS3

77.7 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
97.6 Battlefield 4
157.7 Battlefield 3

PS4

39.3 Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
40.3 Call of Duty Warfare Remastered
56.1 Battlefield 1
63.7 Battlefield 4
71.8 Titanfall 2
76.8 Overwatch
86.8 DOOM
89.8 Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer
110.0 Killzone Shadow Fall Single Player W/ FPS Lock Enabled

X1

63.0 Halo 5 Guardians

EDIT: I've been beat to the punch.Oops.
Feel this ordered list should be in the OP to avoid confusion.

Top Bottom