• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Steam on January 28

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Once again we have open "marketing" of grey market resellers on gaf in announcement threads.

When will we get stricter moderation on this?!

LewieP

I had to jump in at that price to see the graphics on PC (despite 100%-ing the Xbone version). For future reference, is cdkeys.com a "fuck off developers, let's exploit regional price differences to get insanely low prices" thing, or is it legit?

They buy keys from the publisher (via one or more intermediaries) and then sell the keys on to customers, without following the publishers requests regarding following regional price discrimination. The publishers still supplies keys to the associated intermediaries, even though it would be entirely possible for them to stop the trade should they so wish.

CDkeys.com have an excellent track record for customer service, and to the best of my knowledge there has been no legal action taken against them that would cause me to question their legitimacy. The only allegations of I have seen leveled against them have been baseless.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I understand deals and all that, but heads up, CDKeys ia not a authorized key selling site. If they can provide a game for half off from any other storefront on announcement, there's definitely sleaziness at play there.

They're better than some resellers though. They're not buying it using stolen credit cards, and a light risk keys can be revoked by Square (very uncommon though for keys to be revoked), just know they're not authorized if that matters to you and some of the risks with that, and buying it doesn't support the developers directly.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I had to jump in at that price to see the graphics on PC (despite 100%-ing the Xbone version). For future reference, is cdkeys.com a "fuck off developers, let's exploit regional price differences to get insanely low prices" thing, or is it legit?

http://keyradar.com/ is a nice site.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2yhnsw/key_resellers_and_what_they_mean_for_you/ is nice too.
GreenManGaming is not listed on Reddit, but they are authorized seller and will have a list on each game page of the source (auth. seller or publisher).

Kezen

Banned
Anyone scratching their heads at "VXAO", look up "Practical Voxel GI" from the GDC 2014.

AXmEnee.png

d00d3n

The former. Not legit in the sense most people understand legit in this context.

probably a lil of both. i've used them for awhile and havent had any revoked keys or any shit like that.

Ahhh, that is too bad. Not very damaging in my case, I guess, considering that I paid full price for the Xbone version, but I will think twice about using them in the future.

jackdoe

I'll double dip just so I can beat the game (though at nowhere near MSRP). Gave up on the Xbox One version due to the input lag and reaching the point in the game where they increase combat encounters.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I understand deals and all that, but heada up, CDKeys ia not a authorized key selling site. If they can provide a game for half off from any other storefront on announcement, there's definitely sleaziness at play there.

Exactly, it's wrong for individuals to take advantage of regional price differences.

GMAK2442

I was thinking about re-buy it and finishing it on pc with the keyboard and mouse because there is a lot of gun fight.

dugdug

Banned
I'll wait for $5 to try this again. Was bored as fuck with the XB1 version. Curious to see if PC players like it as much as most XB1 owners seemed to.

Zedox

They are making money off the store, I read an article recently that they saw a massive increase in revenue YOY just from December alone.

I will say, your post does come as somewhat contradictory as you are arguing that this is here to say while in the same breath mentioning how many times they have made sweeping changes to strategy.

Contradictory, no. I put that into perspective that I understand why people are hesitant to use such a service but also realize the realities of them doing so to businesses and customers. Let's say the Windows Store does get 'large' and then they abandon it, the backlash is much larger than "just" gamers. It's businesses, it's regular consumers of their surface, surface pro, surface hub, surfacebook, Microsoft band, lumia phones, 3rd party computers, 3rd party tablets, 3rd party phones, xbox(gaming), hololens, office, etc... All the things end points in which they get money would be affected, IF it got large (which they want it to be). It's like if Apple abandoned the App Store now for something else. Yea, those other things will still work but how many people would trust it.

That's all I'm saying. Windows Store is basically their next Win32 paradigm but in every device running Windows.

It'll be interesting to see the sales breakdown between the Win 10 store and Steam if they ever decide to release it.

if they make achievements platform specific we might get an estimate as far as the Win10 store sales go. we'll know steam's numbers thanks to steamspy, though.

I wonder if SE will sell Win10 keys for ROTR or if that's even a thing

Zedox

I doubt it, but it really should be. They need to get moving with that, it will drive me to buy games from the Windows 10 store.

Yea, that's because it's SE selling it. They have the power to, they probably just won't do it. I wish they did. :(

Mifec

I understand deals and all that, but heada up, CDKeys ia not a authorized key selling site. If they can provide a game for half off from any other storefront on announcement, there's definitely sleaziness at play there.

They're better than some resellers though. They're not buying it using stolen credit cards, and a light risk keys can be revoked by Square (very uncommon though for keys to be revoked), just know they're not authorized if that matters to you and some of the risks with that.

They buy from tier 2 regions in bulk and scan the cdkey from the box for you.

So. The german press release also talks about support for the brand new "Nvidia VXAO", the first time ever in a game. Does anybody knows what this is?

Heres the german quote:

Voxel Ambient Occlusion. I would bet on that being much better on NV hardware.
you can download the original size 4k screens here:
http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/596/square-enix-and-crystal-dynamics-announce-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-rele

Here are some 4k downsampled to 1080p version:

Um, this is ridiculous looking.
Edit: those PC screenshots are almost thread worthy in their own right.

Afro

Will this overtake Witcher 3 for the best looking game on Steam on Jan 28th or am I talking nonsense?

jelly

Windows 10 gaming experience versus Steam should be interesting. Xbox app and all that.

Always in the back of my mind Microsoft will bury it one day though.

I guess no digital cross buy ?

scitek

Interesting to see how games for the Windows store will be announced, "... for Windows 10 and Steam."

And would you guys ordering from cdkeys think of the developers?!

Oh, the devs likely already got paid regardless of sales for delivering a great game on time. Fuck SE for their stupid exclusivity deal and making you wait for the game. You owe them nothing.

EDIT: And "Windows 10 support" is not a feature.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They buy from tier 2 regions in bulk and scan the cdkey from the box for you.
I know what they do, why I said better than some key resellers that sell from stolen means, but there's sleaziness and this does break from Steam's TOS and recently there's been devs revoking keys from accounts and region-locked games. We have no idea if this game is region-locked yet, if it is then there's a chance these wouldn't work to begin with for people outside region 2.

Outside of user risk because of changes Steam introduced in the last year, its true that they're not an authorized key reseller and if people want future Tomb Raider games like Rise, which I've heard from many is quite good, then they should support and buy on authroized storefronts rather than the gray market.

Locuza

Voxel Ambient Occlusion. I would bet on that being much better on NV hardware.
If they use Conservative Rasterization, I would be very suprised and AMD cards should have much lower performance.

I'm a bit confused, I thought Nvidia called the solution simply VXGI.
Maybe this is just some part of it or something modified?
Maybe a rename?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Before I get this, I'd like to know a few things.

1. Is the gameplay the same as the previous game, or are there any notable additions?
2. Are there any prominent puzzles in the game?
3. Is the story any good?

Thanks!

Razyl

Anyone scratching their heads at "VXAO", look up "Practical Voxel GI" from the GDC 2014.

Okay - sounds interesting. It's not a "gameworks"-feature isn't it? So it should be usable on an amd gpu but i guess with more performance impact.

d00d3n

Interesting to see how games for the Windows store will be announced, "... for Windows 10 and Steam."

And would you guys ordering from cdkeys think of the developers?!

Oh, the devs likely already got paid regardless of sales for delivering a great game on time. Fuck SE for their stupid exclusivity deal and making you wait for the game. You owe them nothing.

Lol, yeah, I guess that Microsoft (exclusivity deal) is paying for the cdkeys.com ripoff pricing in a sense.

Kezen

Banned
If they use Conservative Rasterization, I would be very suprised and AMD cards should have much lower performance.

I'm a bit confused, I thought Nvidia called the solution simply VXGI.
Maybe this is just some part of it or something modified?
Maybe a rename?

Look a few posts above yours. The game does not VXGI, just uses voxels for AO.

Okay - sounds interesting. It's not a "gameworks"-feature isn't it? So it should be usable on an amd gpu but i guess with more performance impact.
No idea if it's technically part of Gameworks, but I don't see how it would change its performance impact on AMD hardware. It's going to be quite demanding in any case.
It's Nvidia's take on voxel based AO, so I would assume it is going to run faster on their GPUs, perhaps even using Maxwell's advanced capabilities.

Before I get this, I'd like to know a few things.

1. Is the gameplay the same as the previous game, or are there any notable additions?
2. Are there any prominent puzzles in the game?
3. Is the story any good?

Thanks!
1. Same but even better! Stealth is now possible.
2. Yeah, quite a few, and there are some really great challenge tombs
3. Yes imo. Typical Tomb Raider fare tbh.

I know what they do, why I said better than some key resellers that sell from stolen means, but there's sleaziness and this does break from Steam's TOS and recently there's been devs revoking keys from accounts and region-locked games. We have no idea if this game is region-locked yet, if it is then there's a chance these wouldn't work to begin with for people outside region 2.

Outside of user risk because of changes Steam introduced in the last year, its true that they're not an authorized key reseller and if people want future Tomb Raider games like Rise, which I've heard from many is quite good, then they should support and buy on authroized storefronts rather than the gray market.

How does it break Steam's TOS? Also the keys are not region locked.

Effect

Gotta say I'm looking forward to this. I wasn't sure if I'd like the first game but picked it up on a steam sale and really enjoyed it. More so then the Uncharted games I played (1 and 2. Never got around to 3). I just had problems with the disconnect between Lara and all the killing she did as gameplay. I hope that's at least addressed in this.

That said I might be down for picking this up at full price. Assuming the port is good. I didn't have any issues with the first game but that was after patches had come out. How was the first game of the reboot on PC when it originally came out?

MS is putting a lot of their own games on Steam first so that's not certain imo.

Are they ? I remember Fable Anniversary dropping on steam, before and in the same month as the WIN10 announcement. After WIN10 happened I remember Halo: Spartan Strike alone. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd like to know what a lot of "their games" (MSFT IP's) released on steam after WIN10.

On mobile, will scout for info. Is there a GPUOpen equivalent to this or is it completely different from HBAO ?

Top Bottom