• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Steam on January 28

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would never buy a key from cdkeys. I'll much rather wait for the nvidia promo and then buy a key from a fellow gaffer on the bst thread.

But that's obviously just me and I will not judge.

This is funny. Because from cdkeys the producer still gets some money. Buying from fellow gaffer means $0 for the producer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So you're saying NVIDIA stole keys from Square Enix?

Are you saying you are buying the keys from NVIDIA?

NVIDIA pays SE for a no. of keys which are bundled with the cards.

So practically the owner of the card buys also a game key.

You buying from the card owner instead from a store (more or less legit) brings no money to SE. You buying from cdkeys still brings some money to SE.

Instead of having 2 sales, they get just 1.

You buying from the card owner instead from a store (more or less legit) brings no money to SE. You buying from cdkeys still brings some money to SE.

He is selling his copy. So basically, the copie sold still produced money to SE.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He is selling his copy. So basically, the copie sold still produced money to SE.

No, it doesn't. It produced money on the first transaction, when he bought the GPU. There nothing on the second one, everything goes into the pocket of the GPU owner.

knitoe

Can't believe it's coming out so soon. I only just finished this 2 weeks ago. Not really tempted to replay it, but hard to resist lure of 4K @ 60fps.

Kezen

Banned
Holy shit at the screenshots! It looks so fucking beautiful.

Downsampling from 4K is truly a revealing experience, especially when asset quality is high.

But no doubt it's going to take quite the monster rig for that level of IQ.

The game should already look very good at max settings.

Zedox

Oh shit windows 10 games will get achievements? Damn. I wish all the PC games I had got gamerscore instead of steam achievements.

Might get this for Windows 10 then.

That's one of the benefits of Windows 10 store games (that have the Xbox branding). Note, if you do have it on Xbox already, those are the same achievements (can't double dip). Steam achievements never seemed the same to me either (nor PS trophies...) I guess since I started them on Xbox 360 (still missing some from my original GT...damn you MS messing with my shit).

madjoki

No, it doesn't. It produced money on the first transaction, when he bought the GPU. There nothing on the second one, everything goes into the pocket of the GPU owner.

Similarly: Everything you pay on 'key' sites goes to owners too, since they already paid for copies where ever it was bought. (Since key sites are based on reselling third-country keys at higher prices).

Oh shit windows 10 games will get achievements?

Not all, only xbox-branded games.

Of course, because they already got the money from the copy. He's what you don't understand, I'll take you cdkeys exemple:

SE gives keys to cdkeys. You buy your game from them. SE only gets money at this moment.
SE SELLS keys to Nvidia. You buy your GPU and get the game with it. SE already got the money before you had your key. So whatever you do with your key is your business, it's been bought already. If you sell it, you don't own it anymore, so it's not a lost sale because the copy was ALREADY sold.

fantomena

Oh shit windows 10 games will get achievements? Damn. I wish all the PC games I had got gamerscore instead of steam achievements.

Might get this for Windows 10 then.

You wish all PC games was integrated with some sort of GFWL?

Why are people so wary of cdkeys out of interest?

I've been using them for going on 3 years now and never had a problem that wasn't easily resolved by them.

Ranmo

Icing on the cake. I thought I'd have to wait longer to play this game. I'll have to check out this CDkeys store. I've never heard of this store.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Similarly: Everything you pay on 'key' sites goes to owners too, since they already paid for copies where ever it was bought. (Since key sites are based on reselling third-country keys at higher prices).

Of course, because they already got the money from the copy. He's what you don't understand, I'll take you cdkeys exemple:

SE gives keys to cdkeys. You buy your game from them. SE only gets money at this moment.
SE SELLS keys to Nvidia. You buy your GPU and get the game with it. SE already got the money before you had your key. So whatever you do with your key is your business, it's been bought already. If you sell it, you don't own it anymore, so it's not a lost sale because the copy was ALREADY sold.

Instead of 2 buyers for 2 keys you have 2 buyers for 1 key. 1 buyer is guaranteed anyhow, because he buys the card and implicitly the key. When you personally buy it from cdkeys you pay $20 (assumingly) to SE too. When you personally buy it from a new GPU owner you pay nothing to SE. The new GPU owner buys a key (and pays something to SE) in both cases.

I can't make it easier than that and I think this discussion anyhow is maybe not the best to have in this thread.

scitek

Instead of 2 buyers for 2 keys you have 2 buyers for 1 key. 1 buyer is guaranteed anyhow, because he buys the card and implicitly the key. When you personally buy it from cdkeys you pay $20 (assumingly) to SE too. When you personally buy it from a new GPU owner you pay nothing to SE. The new GPU owner buys a key in both cases.

No, CDKeys is basically like a person selling the key in the BST thread. In both cases, SE gets paid only once.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, CDKeys is basically like a person selling the key in the BST thread. In both cases, SE gets paid only once.

It's not the same damn key.

1 key with GPU. (that it is sold no matter if you buy it from the GPU owner or not)
1 key from CDkeys.

Unless you say that cdkeys sells GPU keys.

Harlequin

Perhaps some people specifically don't want to give SE any money after how badly they fucked over their fans with the exclusivity deal. Why reward them for that?

scitek

It's not the same damn key.

1 key with GPU. (that it is sold no matter if you buy it from the GPU owner or not)
1 key from CDkeys.

Unless you say that cdkeys sells GPU keys.

I'm saying buying from CDKeys is the same as buying from someone in the BST thread.

Both get one key:

one buys it from retail (giving SE money), then resells it.

one gets the key with their Nvidia card (SE already got paid by Nvidia), then resells it.

I know there are exceptions, though, like apparently some of these key resellers sometimes being supplied by the publishers themselves en masse in order to meet a sales goal or something. That's according to one person here who claimed to sell (I believe) on G2A, anyway.

Does cdkeys give you an instant key or you have to wait?

Depends. I'm assuming you'll have to wait if you pre-order right now.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Perhaps some people specifically don't want to give SE any money after how badly they fucked over their fans with the exclusivity deal. Why reward them for that?

You reward them for greenlighting a game and investing the money needed in it.
If no revenue goes to SE and it becomes a commercial failure then they won't push a high budget tomb raider again for quite some time.

But that's none of my concern ofc.

Does cdkeys give you an instant key or you have to wait?

You'll have to wait for launch. As they arn't authorized.

Somnia

I wonder if it'll be like GFWL and give you double achievements, or actually count you as having completed the game already.

It's already been confirmed it will have it's own seperate achievements from the 360 and XB1 version. (the Win 10 version that is, Steam version will have Steam achievements)

scitek

It's already been confirmed it will have it's own seperate achievements from the 360 and XB1 version. (the Win 10 version that is, Steam version will have Steam achievements)

Ah cool. That's a good move seeing as how it actually does get some people to double dip.

MUnited83

For you.

So the exact same shit as cdkeys then? It only "produced money" on the first transaction, there's nothing on the second one, everything goes to the pocket of the GPU owner. Well, shit, I guarantee you that the cdkeys keys will pass through by many more different hands than the nvidia ones.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I imagine the Steam/WinStore split will determine what MS does with Gears in a few months (not that either party is going to divulge those figures).

Parsnip

KingSnake you so cray cray.

Only reason I'll rather buy from a gaffer is because it's a fellow gaffer. And who can you trust more than a fellow gaffer.

Also, cdkeys can die in a fire.
Love, Parsnip.

Top Bottom