• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Steam on January 28

Mifec

I know what they do, why I said better than some key resellers that sell from stolen means, but there's sleaziness and this does break from Steam's TOS and recently there's been devs revoking keys from accounts and region-locked games. We have no idea if this game is region-locked yet, if it is then there's a chance these wouldn't work to begin with for people outside region 2.

Outside of user risk because of changes Steam introduced in the last year, its true that they're not an authorized key reseller and if people want future Tomb Raider games like Rise, which I've heard from many is quite good, then they should support and buy on authroized storefronts rather than the gray market.

Buying boxed copies that activate in any region is breaking steam TOS? I know using proxies is but this just sounds dumb if true, the TOS prohibiting buying boxed copies from other regions I mean.

Also if they would be revoked or region locked people would get their money back. Also CDkeys bought it from an authorized store already, so it's not like SE doesn't get any money.

There is nothing wrong with this, especially for people who have less money to spend in my opinion.

Theorry

you can download the original size 4k screens here:
http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/596/square-enix-and-crystal-dynamics-announce-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-rele

Here are some 4k downsampled to 1080p version:

4640_7210.gif

Kezen

Banned
On mobile, will scout for info. Is there a GPUOpen equivalent to this or is it completely different from HBAO ?
Voxels are not anything new so I suppose AMD engineers know a lot about that too, but I don't know if they have a production ready solution for it like Nvidia.

It's really cool to see new rendering stuff in AAA games, I don't recall any other game featuring voxel based ambient occlusion.
Eager to see how it compares to screen space solutions.

dugdug

Banned
Before I get this, I'd like to know a few things.

1. Is the gameplay the same as the previous game, or are there any notable additions?
2. Are there any prominent puzzles in the game?
3. Is the story any good?

Thanks!

1. yes, it's just a bit more open world. you still just climb shit and shoot dudes.
2. yes, a lot more than the first actually.
3. not even remotely. awful, in fact.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How does it break Steam's TOS? Also the keys are not region locked.
From the Steam TOS:

You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.

The TOS was updated on this I also believe, but on mobile ad this one is from 2014. The updated version talks about the right for developer to revoke keys if bought from unauthorized resellers for different regioning pricing, I'll fetch it later.

NeoRaider

Best news is that Nixxes did the port, everyone was waiting for the confirmation, lol. I am really happy about it.
Also Minimum SR look ok.

tuxfool

Banned
Voxels are not anything new so I suppose AMD engineers know a lot about that too, but I don't know if they have a production ready solution for it like Nvidia.

It's really cool to see new rendering stuff in AAA games, I don't recall any other game featuring voxel based ambient occlusion.
Eager to see how it compares to screen space solutions.

It is probably a dead end. You might as well go full Voxel GI.

VinFTW

1. yes, it's just a bit more open world. you still just climb shit and shoot dudes.
2. yes, a lot more than the first actually.
3. not even remotely. awful, in fact.
I thought the story was fucking awesome.

Some nice twists, amazing Intel-like things to hunt and learn more about the lore, great world building.

Parsnip

Are we doing this "reseller vs authorized seller" debate again?

BTW, I don't know if anyone else noticed but they have min spec on the downloadable fact sheet.

PC Minimum Specifications:
⦁ Minimum OS: Windows 7 64bit
⦁ Processor:  Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
⦁ GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
⦁ RAM: 6GB
⦁ HD Space: 25GB
⦁ DirectX: DirectX 11
⦁ Input: Mouse + Keyboard

I'll definitely be getting this after playing the trial for the first time the other day on XB1. Looks and plays great. Once it releases and there are some performance reviews up and assuming everything is peachy on that front I'll pick it up.

From the Steam TOS:
The TOS was updated on this I also believe, but on mobile ad this one is from 2014.

But you don't have to use IP proxying and Steam TOS doesn't apply to what you do outside of Steam. Getting a region free key anywhere and activating it is not against the TOS

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

BTW, I don't know if anyone else noticed but they have min spec on the downloadable fact sheet.

It has to happen since everytime someone who works for CDKeys and has said he works for them in the past happena to post in these threads for people to try and buy from them in these threads. XD;

Kezen

Banned
If you have proper real time GI then you don't need AO, which has always been a hack.

I know light bouncing would technically take care of what we call AO, but as I said why bother when performance is just not good enough ?

I'll gladly take VXAO for now, until the hardware is fully capable of real-time GI.

How do you know?
I'm not seeing Nvidia to distinguish here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/vxgi

The GTC 2014 paper is the one you quoted.
I'm watching the video right now.

It's mentioned in the German press release.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Spiel-54451/News/Release-Systemanforderungen-1182456/

tuxfool

Banned
I know light bouncing would technically take care of what we call AO, but as I said why bother when performance is just not good enough ?

I'll gladly take VXAO for now, until the hardware is fully capable of real-time GI.

There are games that going to be released soon with SVOTI.

Aww yeah, this'll sing on my setup:
- i7 4790 (no K)
- GTX 970
- 8GB RAM

Irobot82

Is this Voxel Based AO confirmed in the game.

So strange for it to have AMD and Nvidia features in it.

Also, like HBAO will it work on AMD cards?

Kezen

Banned
Is this Voxel Based AO confirmed in the game.

So strange for it to have AMD and Nvidia features in it.

Also, like HBAO will it work on AMD cards?

Nvidia are bundling their cards with this game so not too surprised to find out that it uses some Nvidia tech, probably not exclusive to their GPUs but likely to perform better.

Parsnip

I would never buy a key from cdkeys. I'll much rather wait for the nvidia promo and then buy a key from a fellow gaffer on the bst thread.

But that's obviously just me and I will not judge.

Nixxes does great work. I bought the xb1 version recently and its really good.

Guess I could have waited for PC but with a 670 no guarantees for performance.

dugdug

Banned
I thought the story was fucking awesome.

Some nice twists, amazing Intel-like things to hunt and learn more about the lore, great world building.

Could be a love-it-or-hate-it kinda thing. I just didn't find anything about the script/performances engaging in any way. The intel stuff was cool, but, that kinda thing doesn't really impress me that much anymore.

scitek

Anybody wary of cdkeys that wants a cheap copy should just wait to buy a code from someone who doesn't want it bundled with their video card.

Will there be a separate topic on gaffers selling their key?
Check the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in Gaming Community in a few weeks.

We still don't know the recommended specs yet, not to mention how the game will actually run even on TOP PC of 2014 (not LGA 2011-v3).

Good point. But I'm also only aiming for 1080p60 with any other visual bells & whistles (nvidia game works, better textures, etc).

Anybody wary of cdkeys that wants a cheap copy should just wait to buy a code from someone who doesn't want it bundled with their video card.

Preordered on CDkeys as soon as I saw it was Nixxes handling the port. Love their ports.
Anyone wary of CDkeys (or any other unauthorized reseller) should look at GAF's own B/S/T thread. I'm sure there'll be some keys from people who buy NVIDIA GTX 9xx. That's how I got my MGS V key for ~$30 day one.

Zojirushi

Somehow I suspect there will be more people looking to buy a code than people with new videocards who absolutely do not want to play Tomb Raider.

Wouldn't expect super cheap prices around here.

We still don't know the recommended specs yet, not to mention how the game will actually run even on top gaming PC of 2014 (not LGA 2011-v3) with at least one GTX 980.

Eh, if it's anything like previous One or PS4 exclusives that have come to PC, it'll run great on his setup. Ryse and DR3 run amazingly on that setup. It's also being ported by Nixxes which is another plus.

Windows 7/8? uf it will work :)

Rise of the Tomb Raider comes out on PC on 28th January.

Hello PC gamers!

That's on Windows 10 and Steam, publisher Square Enix said.

Rise of the Tomb Raider launched on Xbox One and Xbox 360 in November as a timed Xbox exclusive. It's expected on PlayStation 4 later in 2016 when Microsoft's exclusivity deal runs its course.

Developers Crystal Dynamics and Nixxes Software have added 4K resolution support for the PC version.

Here are the minimum specs:

Minimum OS: Windows 7 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
RAM: 6GB
HD Space: 25GB
DirectX: DirectX 11
Input: Mouse and keyboard

Kezen

Banned
Eh, if it's anything like previous One or PS4 exclusives that have come to PC, it'll run great on his setup. Ryse and DR3 run amazingly on that setup. It's also being ported by Nixxes which is another plus.

Dead Rising 3 did not "amazingly", on any PCs known to earth.
This thing really runs like crap no matter what.

Windows 7/8?
Read the OP.

Somehow I suspect there will be more people looking to buy a code than people with new videocards who absolutely do not want to play Tomb Raider.

Wouldn't expect super cheap prices around here.
There were people selling MGSV for dirt cheap and that game was mega hyped, so I doubt there'll be a shortage tbh.

Top Bottom