• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics FAQ - Confirms timed exclusive for XB1/360

It's not going to be different to the last game (with regard to the underlying structure) and wouldn't be even if CD were given twice the time. I addressed that in a later post -- TR'13 is the most popular/successful Tomb Raider game since the PSX era, in terms of unit sales. I would have mentioned this my initial post, but I didn't realise that by "new ideas" you meant "new approach".

Edit: To put it another way, the bombastic, cinematic-driven, "wide-linear" nature of TR'13 gave rise to the series' most positive reception -- albeit one that took some time to amass -- in well over a decade, so rest assured that the formula is here to stay. It's arguably why, at least in part, Osiris was greenlit -- it exists as an alternative option for the TR fans who aren't fond of the new direction the core series has taken.

Not sure when you wandered in here, but I like it. Thanks for showing up, mate.

I think you're 100% right about the direction of Tomb Raider 2015 -- it's not going to be a third reboot. They may actually, y'know, have some tombs to raid... ones that aren't single room puzzles off the main path, so if that's what Sovereign was hoping for, he may get it. But there's no doubt in my mind that the core mechanics/gameplay which has brought it into direct competition with the Uncharted franchise are here to stay. It's the main reason I wanted TR2015 and why I'm extra salty about this whole ordeal. Not owning a PS4 and preferring TR2013 to the Uncharted games on the whole, TR2015 was something I was eagerly anticipating. And now SE's fear of competing with U4 and MS's desire to "lure" gamers to their 2nd place platform have denied me that until sometime in 2016, if ever (SE may cancel the ports if the game isn't reviewed well and bombs on xbox, no?).

All that said, I'm not sure that Osiris is exactly the right "alternative" for people who aren't fond of the new direction... a co-op run & gun isometric puzzle platformer is going to appease those who want the traditional tomb raider games with more puzzles, less combat, 3D platforming, etc. ;)

I do think you're right that SE is using the "success" of TR2013 to try to captialize and strike "while the iron is hot". GoL was well received and adding 4-player co-op and releasing it as a digital only game on every major console right now probably isn't high cost and they see a great opportunity to make a decent profit.

malfcn

I never really played a title until the last one. But the lack of tombs was shocking. There were a few.. But they were puzzles and took 30 seconds to solve. Hopefully next time there are more, and intricate.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure when you wandered in here, but I like it. Thanks for showing up, mate.

Posting in only Steam or Saoirse-related threads can get old. :p

All that said, I'm not sure that Osiris is exactly the right "alternative" for people who aren't fond of the new direction... a co-op run & gun isometric puzzle platformer is going to appease those who want the traditional tomb raider games with more puzzles, less combat, 3D platforming, etc. ;)

Oh, it's definitely not what those who want a Tomb Raider game of old are looking for, but it is markedly different and as such is something Squeenix can point to and say, "We have this other Tomb Raider game you may enjoy!" In fact, it already has, haha.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

Certinty

I can't believe some of these games are cross-gen.

Personally I'll probably end up buying an Xbox One in a few months time for Forza Horizon 2 and this (only 2 games I want on the One) but the fact I can still get both on the 360 is making me reconsider my choice.

Darknight

Is it me or does anybody think that Sony and Naughty Dog are looking at this and feeling motivated to put out even more of a top notch product. Game of the Year status.

How far along in production are/were they? I am dying to know what they may be planning. Every time I watch the E3 trailer I salivate at the possibilities. I can't wait!!

Their work ethic is not affected by industry drama. They will deliver the type of game they want to make and like always, deliver a quality one.

I honestly feel CD/SE hurt their PS4 sales since by the time its out, Uncharted 4 will be out or about to be and newer titles will be launching too. Only way they can make decent sales is to offer it at a lower price or release the "GoTY edition" on 2016 for PS4/PC.

Here is my take on this situation. MS needs exclusive titles any way shape or form. They pay SE a lump sum to release the title first and thats that. MS needs to pay their shit stat. Sony has a ton of shit coming and with say Morpheus, they have other ways to please gamers. I dont see Sony losing steam announcing/releasing games 2015+ whether they are exclusive or 3rd party.

JaseC

I never really played a title until the last one. But the lack of tombs was shocking. There were a few.. But they were puzzles and took 30 seconds to solve. Hopefully next time there are more, and intricate.

That's the plan.

“With the power of the new generation, and our proprietary Foundation engine, our high octane action moments will be even more epic. Multiple locations around the world will be filled with exploration spaces that are some of the most beautifully hostile places on earth and over three times larger than we could achieve before,” said Darrell Gallagher, Head of Product Development and Western Studios at Square Enix. “Our digital actors will rival CG quality, and after hearing the cry from our fans loud and clear, we will put the tombs back into Tomb Raider, all in our gritty Survival-Action style.”

Dynomutt

Their work ethic is not affected by industry drama. They will deliver the type of game they want to make and like always, deliver a quality one.

I honestly feel CD/SE hurt their PS4 sales since by the time its out, Uncharted 4 will be out or about to be and newer titles will be launching too. Only way they can make decent sales is to offer it at a lower price or release the "GoTY edition" on 2016 for PS4/PC.

Here is my take on this situation. MS needs exclusive titles any way shape or form. They pay SE a lump sum to release the title first and thats that. MS needs to pay their shit stat. Sony has a ton of shit coming and with say Morpheus, they have other ways to please gamers. I dont see Sony losing steam announcing/releasing games 2015+ whether they are exclusive or 3rd party.

Wow. You broke it down, Thanks.

DOWN

Banned
I don't see how it doesn't make sense. Simultaneous development isn't going to hold back the next gen version anymore than an up port.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=873749

spencer confirmed 360 version back on the 13th. We've already known it was coming to 360 as well.

there is nothing saying this game couldn't be back ported from the xbone version to the 360 instead of vise versa.

This thread if full of ifs and maybes in their most negative connotations. so many tries at dismissal and downplay.

That isn't true. The Wither III team and the Arkham Knight team have both explained that they can't make last gen versions. It would have to be fundamentally altered beyond reasonable costs and would end up lacking the same world, scale, and travel.

If you build a game without considering the weaker machine that is on the market, that's what happens. You end up with a gorgeous game that takes advantage of new tech too heavily to port back.

Steroyd

That's the plan.

"Survival-Action" What is this shit? If the animal hunting actually meant something more than exp, or there was bare minimal ammo, where I had to rely on the bow for ammo conservation, I'd let that slide. But no, bad CD, naughty PR *points finger*.

Glad more tombs is the plan, but I hope that means tombs with puzzles that require you to figure it out using your brain to progress and not TR 2013 but the setting is in tombs this time (like Uncharted).

I also hope they fix the bullshit AI and stealthing, which ironically feels like a copy and paste of what I didn't like in Uncharted minus the snappable cover system.

Toki767

I can believe them when they said they didn't intend to cause confusion. Mostly because they intended on misleading people outright.

I still cannot understand the reaction this thing got. For one, it was apparent it was just an timed exclusive. Secondly it surprised me that TR2013 can build but such feels. Maybe people actually want to protect Lara
but only on their platform of choice

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
That isn't true. The Wither III team and the Arkham Knight team have both explained that they can't make last gen versions. It would have to be fundamentally altered beyond reasonable costs and would end up lacking the same world, scale, and travel.

If you build a game without considering the weaker machine that is on the market, that's what happens. You end up with a gorgeous game that takes advantage of new tech too heavily to port back.

I agree with this. I was only originally saying rise won't be held back anymore than tr defintive was.

nakedeyes

Banned
I won't be betting on anything, the best that could happen is for the game to release at least year or two after the XO version. ms didn't blow all that money just for a few months of exclusivity now wouldn't they?

Makes claim that RotTR won't will not come to PS consoles. Immediately retracts and claims it will but down the line. LOL! Not really asking for a bet, just telling you that you are kidding yourself if you think this isn't a timed exclusive ( which has all but been explicitly confirmed at this point by both MS and CD ).

The comparisons between this deal and the Bayonetta 2 / Titanfall deals are what get me. I guess you really need to know the industry to appreciate the nuanced differences between these types of deals. love you GAF!

JaseC

I do love that "Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed?" is answered, but the second question of "Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?" is side-stepped entirely. Gotta leave some room for cynicism, I suppose -- can't have everyone waiting for the game to appear on their preferred platform!

How cool are Nixxes? Would love to see them do their own thing, they seem super talented, with a great name. My takeaway from the discussion haha.

Top Bottom