• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics FAQ - Confirms timed exclusive for XB1/360

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That was one of the first things that popped in my head. If MS is using this as ammunition against Uncharted, a cross-gen game isn't going to do shit.

They already have ammunition against Uncharted next Fall. Its called Halo 5 :D

The deal still just boggles my mind. But by all means CD and SE, wrap that big old millstone called the Xbox One around your neck and jump right into the water.

And before anyone asks, I'm no fan of Tomb Raider, or Uncharted for that matter. While the TR reboot didn't interest me, it showed some potential. Potential they've now squandered because MS tossed money their way. So now they've pissed off their fans, and practically guaranteed Uncharted will outsell TR during holiday 2015.

All for that short-term gain of a little extra cash...which they would have made anyways had they just released it on all platforms at the same time. I hope the money was worth the negative PR and staggered sales SE, I really do.

Sayers

The last answer is a cop out. Sony had no problem distinguishing what was coming "First to Playstation," i.e. a timed exclusive on stage. They made it very clear to me. I don't understand why Microsoft, Square, and CD could not do the same.

They could have, they just didn't want to.

I suppose that the two versions of the game (Xbox One and 360) are going to be handled by separate teams. The question arises as to whether or not they are going to use the exact same engine...

The last answer is a cop out. Sony had no problem distinguishing what was coming "First to Playstation," i.e. a timed exclusive on stage. They made it very clear to me. I don't understand why Microsoft, Square, and CD could not do the same.

MS themselves had no problem distinguishing first on Xbox when it came to indies.

But suddenly it's different because it's Tomb Raider and TRIPLE A.

Xando

Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

Why even post this question if you only give a bullshit pr answer of nothing.

Long history with Microsoft? With what or is it just PR speak again

Tomb Raider Legend on 360 was the 1st TR game on a HD era console.*
Tomb Raider Anniversary was the 1st full retail game to be downloadable on 360 and again, the 360 was the only HD console it was released on.*

*PS3 versions were released 3-4 years later.

Knowing it's coming to PS4 kind of makes the whole thing a pointless waste of money for MS, doesn't it?

Not at all. Anyone who doesn't frequent forums will have no idea it's a timed exclusive. That means most people won't know it's a timed exclusive.

Why even post this question if you only give a bullshit pr answer of nothing.

Because it's possible they really needed the money to keep the studio going? People have of course been assuming lots of things with this announcement. We have no idea of the financial state of this studio, and why that may have motivated them to make such a deal.

I suppose that the two versions of the game (Xbox One and 360) are going to be handled by separate teams. The question arises as to whether or not they are going to use the exact same engine...

They more than likely will. With the 360 version running the standard engine and the One version running with the updated Definitive Edition version. You don't write a new engine for a sequel in two years.

RPGam3r

Still confused by gamers questioning this deal. It doesn't matter if we think more copies would have been sold on PS4 and PC than X1. MS and SE were able to crunch numbers and take the path of least risk. This is how business works, no need to be upset with them.

Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

LOOK+AT+THIS+WOW+.+Its+Fucking+Nothing+-Jack_dbd5a8_4640336.gif

Not at all. Anyone who doesn't frequent forums will have no idea it's a timed exclusive. That means most people won't know it's a timed exclusive.

But who's going to buy the console for TR? MS already had Halo 5 for late next year. I just don't get the logic behind this. They could have used the money to fund some other game, like maybe approach Capcom about Dragons Dogma 2.

nynt9

Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details

This is bullshit. They could have very easily said "timed exclusive" during gamescom. It was clearly intentionally left fuzzy. Considering Microsoft announced other titles as timed exclusive during the same conference.

Still confused by gamers questioning this deal. It doesn't matter if we think more copies would have been sold on PS4 and PC than X1. MS and SE were able to crunch numbers and take the path of least risk. This is how business works, no need to be upset with them.

It being just business doesn't put it above criticism. People are absolutely allowed to be upset about this since it's BS, business or not.

jesu

This is bullshit. They could have very easily said "timed exclusive" during gamescom. It was clearly intentionally left fuzzy. Considering Microsoft announced other titles as timed exclusive during the same conference.

It wasn't fuzzy at all though was it?
We all knew it was timed.

Yoday

Making an Xbox 360 version for the very end of 2015 is absolutely ridiculous. Making one while also signing a "wont appear on market leading platform until is old news" deal makes it even insaner.
I wouldn't be surprised if the last gen version exists because of this deal. Going from launching on both current gen systems to only one could have very well presented the need for a last gen version, even with MS's money bag contribution. Everything CD had said in the past made it sound to me like the next Tomb Raider was always going to be current gen only, so I wonder what impact going cross gen is going to have on the game. Either the last gen version is going to be a very different game, or the current gen version is going to get completely gimped in order for it to scale down more. Regardless, I agree that releasing a cross gen non-sports game at the end of 2015 is absurd and can only hurt the quality of the game.

As a huge fan of the Tomb Raider series and the reboot in particular, this whole situation has been and continues to be incredibly disappointing.

Chobel

Because it's possible they really needed the money to keep the studio going? People have of course been assuming lots of things with this announcement. We have no idea of the financial state of this studio, and why that may have motivated them to make such a deal.

No they didn't, SE can release RoTR without MS help. Source: Kagari.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Welp, that's that.

But UGH, cross-gen.

Kazerei

Banned
It's nice that Crystal Dynamics finally said something, I guess? Anyways, hopefully everyone has learned from this debacle to not use weird and confusing language. People are going to ask questions and find out very quickly what you mean by "exclusive". No point trying to dance around.

nynt9

It wasn't fuzzy at all though was it?
We all knew it was timed.

Yeah, no. Maybe if you subscribe to revisionist history. The first 2 days were a shitstorm of confusion. If you googled "Tomb Raider Exclusive" you got a ton of sites saying "it's exclusive" or "is it exclusive? we're not sure".

It was more confusing than it needed to be.

hawk2025

Again, the answer that this is all based on making the best game possible flies in the face of basic logic, seeing as valuable resources are being spent on a 360 version.

It being announced on 360 at the end of 2015 makes it seem like it'll be exclusive to just MS console + PC because they weren't comfortable with it just being on X1 alone.

explodet

The contract from Microsoft stipulates that if any employee of Crystal Dynamics says Playstation or PC out loud they have to do a little dance and pinch someone else's nose, like if they had said MacBeth.

RPGam3r

It being just business doesn't put it above criticism. People are absolutely allowed to be upset about this since it's BS, business or not.

Upset by what? A timed exclusive? Something that has been done for a long time, or exclusives in general which have existed since gaming started? I hoping eventually gamers would just accept that these things happen. You're never garunteed to get all content on whatever platform you selected, this is how gaming has always been.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really? Mmm odd in UK I always saw PS3 ads for games

It's not impossible it was regionally different, but they had timed exclusive DLC on the last game, Lara Croft 1 was part of Summer of Arcade, and the one before that was also tied to Xbox 360 during promotions.

Revealing the game so early with just a CG trailer, practically no info AND adding this exclusivity deal to an already rocky-established first outing (sold well but far from perfect) seems like a recipe for disaster.

Shin-Ra

Poor, poor little Square-Enix.

It's nice that Crystal Dynamics finally said something, I guess? Anyways, hopefully everyone has learned from this debacle to not use weird and confusing language. People are going to ask questions and find out very quickly what you mean by "exclusive". No point trying to dance around.
Nice that they came out with more bullshit so everyone can see how full of it they are.

Valnen

They don't really say what platforms it's coming to after the "duration" which is the information I wanted.

I also find it hilarious they claim they considered their fans. Sure, they might have briefly. But clearly an immediate payout was a higher priority for them than getting their game in the hands of their fans or they wouldn't have done this. I understand why, they're in the business of making money first and pleasing fans second. They have bills to pay and I'm cool with that. But I can't say I'm not disappointed I have to wait until 2016 to play this.

Ultimately, make a great game and I'll buy it whenever it comes out. Just please don't pretend deals like this have our interests at heart.

Eusis

A cross-gen game in 2016. That's almost as bad as the timed exclusivity.
I actually think in some ways it can be worse. At least it can be argued the money made from that deal could allow them to disregard last gen hardware and focus wholly on the newest, but instead we're getting something that's playing it safe by being last gen AND won't be across PS/PC as well. All this PR fluff comes off as hollow given where they're coming from, unlike the likes of Insomniac, Remedy, or especially Access games.

EDIT: Well, that depends on how last gen actually works here. If it's less "we're making a 360/PS3 game that will be higher resolution and fps on XB1/PS4" and more "we're making a XB1/PS4 game and letting a third party make a sort of imitation game for 360/PS3" then it's irrelevant and timed exclusive is worse again.

Carl

He makes a good point.. Saying "first on xbox" instead of "exclusively on Xbox in holiday 2015" is far too much detail.

Top Bottom