• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics FAQ - Confirms timed exclusive for XB1/360

Not all publicity is good. I, for one, will buy it used when it hits PS4. They won't see a cent from me (and I bought TRDE day one)

Yeah but not a lot of people (if any) will stay that mad for that long. 2016 is 2 years away.

In the meanwhile, right now the game is a hot topic and everyone is hearing about how its a big deal exclusive.

Shinta

Banned
I think that in the end, this is going to be a win for most gamers.

This was such a PR shitstain that I don't think anyone is going to think it's even worth it to mislead consumers anymore for short term gain. It was definitely misleading, on purpose, to create the impression that it was a permanent exclusive. I think that the press, and gamers, will now hold their feet to the fire if this happens again with a large game announcement.

And then of course, the game will eventually be playable by others since it's only timed exclusive, so that's a plus.

The only question now is if it's going to PC in 2016, or PC and PS4. I don't think the game will ever release on PS3.

Leb

Kudos to the PR flack who wrote this -- not a single instance of plain language in the entire missive.

Seriously, Ari Fleischer would be proud.

Upset by what? A timed exclusive? Something that has been done for a long time, or exclusives in general which have existed since gaming started? I hoping eventually gamers would just accept that these things happen. You're never garunteed to get all content on whatever platform you selected, this is how gaming has always been.

As with everyone else that says this, please do give me an example of Sony or Nintendo moneyhatting a timed exclusive like this? And something recent too, if you have to go back 5 years or more, don't.

Yoday

Still confused by gamers questioning this deal. It doesn't matter if we think more copies would have been sold on PS4 and PC than X1. MS and SE were able to crunch numbers and take the path of least risk. This is how business works, no need to be upset with them.
This makes me think of the classic line "It's not personal, it's business". It being business doesn't mean people don't have the right to be upset about it. People don't have to just forget about it and be cool with it just because "it's business". It is a bad deal for a lot of people and they absolutely have the right to be upset with the companies involved with the deal. I am a gamer, not a business man. I don't give a shit how much money SE, who spends countless millions developing FF sequels that nobody wants, gets for this deal. Next year I won't be able to play one of my most anticipated games of the entire year and that pisses me off.

Zok310

Banned
What does exclusive to Xbox mean?

Did Crystal Dynamics know about this deal?
Yes, Crystal Dynamics is excited to be partnering with Microsoft to make the best game possible. As Darrell mentioned in his message, we have a long history with Microsoft and they have been a very strong supporter of the franchise. They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.

Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

Still don't know why they could not make the best game possible on all platforms. Still a big dump on long time fans.

androvsky

This is not untrue. They've done advertising deals for the last three games with them.

Of course those were specifically advertising deals.

Didn't Tomb Raider Underworld have a controversy where the real/proper ending was DLC only, and forever exclusive to the 360?

Eusis

Generally speaking, how do these kind of deals help either party? (publishers, developers and consumers).
It can bring additional financing for games along with development/marketting assistence. This is great on smaller games and efforts, especially if they lack a publisher or the other party is being a problem to deal with (sounds like Sony was a bit too silent with Titanfall assistance for instance) but for something like this is really just calls into question how necessary it really is. Especially given its PS history and the fact that's still leading for game sales.

Xando

I dont get why Microsft goes for a timed exclusive that is crossgen.
Seems like a bad decision if they want to sell XB1s.

Nimby

Banned
Now they can focus on improving the game coming from the sub par 2013 game.

But why would they improve a successful game?

I agree with you, but I don't see that happening. Especially with less consumers, they'll want to keep it safe, with more TOMBS as false rectifications to the game's shootbang formula.

Didn't Tomb Raider Underworld have a controversy where the real/proper ending was DLC only, and forever exclusive to the 360?

Yes. The game sucked though, so it didn't bother me at all.

Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details

damn! one wonders what the announcement would've been like if they had intended to cause confusion :) ...

In terms of "cross-gen" i expect the same procedure as Forza Horizon 2 is using. Disappointing if not considering it's a late 2015 game.

Chobel

Watch it use Azure servers for its multiplayer mode, just so MS can brag about how they're making the game better.

Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details
Copious amounts of bullshit detected.

viveks86

Generally speaking, how do these kind of deals help either party? (publishers, developers and consumers).

Let's make a list, shall we?

Benefits to Console Manufacturer:
  • Potential increase in console sales through misinformation and/or dat 'feel' of exclusivity
  • Potential increase in revenue from royalties due to headstart in game sales compared to competing platform

Benefits to Publishers/Developers:
  • Immediate access to cash, development and marketing resources from console manufacturer

Benefits to Consumers:
  • Dat feel of exclusivity, also known as, the I-can-play-it-now-while-you-can't-ha-ha phenomenon

BY2K

Membero Americo
By the time the game comes out, the PS4 and Xbox One will be 2 years old. The PS4 already sold 10 Million Units.

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed by cross-gen games.

MaulerX

But... But... Didn't Phil Spencer already said it had a duration? We already knew it was a timed exclusive. This didn't say anything new at all. What are the future platforms? PC? PS4? Both? PS3?

Dizzy

Banned
Laughably pathetic. Just the way its written, its as safe as you can get. It's nice to see them feeling the pressure though, no doubt this is in responce to their fans who are still furious abiut the whole ordeal.

For now, I still suspect some kind of non-PlayStation clause in the contract.

In recent interviews, Spencer has been pretty clear that this is the same kind of deal that for Ryse and Dead Rising 3 (meaning Microsoft is investing/publishing the game but not buying the IP). And what did we learn about those two games ? They are coming to PC, 8 months after Xbox One, but not PS4.

I think PC gamers will definitly be ok, but we still don't have a single evidence that the game will end up on PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But... But... Didn't Phil Spencer already said it had a duration? We already knew it was a timed exclusive. This didn't say anything new at all. What are the future platforms? PC? PS4? Both? PS3?

It's obviously at least PC/PS4. PS3 in 2016 is somewhat more questionable, but not impossible.

MilkBeard

Glad that it was made clear. As a PS4 owner I'm glad that I will most likely get a chance to play it down the line. That's all I care about. X1 owners can play it on day one, I'm not that concerned with the time issue.

Chobel

For now, I still suspect some kind of non-PlayStation clause in the contract.

In recent interviews, Spencer has been pretty clear that this is the same kind of deal that for Ryse and Dead Rising 3 (meaning Microsoft is investing/publishing the game but not buying the IP). And what did we learn about those two games ? They are coming to PC, 8 months after Xbox One, but not PS4.

I think PC gamers will definitly be ok, but we still don't have a single evidence that the game will end up on PS4.

Shinobi said "nope".

Zok310

Banned
That's just PR words.

Ya i know, fans of the game tho should consider it an insult, they must really think folks are stupid. What could have possibly prevented this game from being "the best game possible" on XB, PS and PC? Damn insult if they keep touting that "great MS relationship", like what happened to the millions of folks that supported them for 20 years?
Thats what i want to know.

They should have stopped talking after question 2.

Top Bottom