• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics FAQ - Confirms timed exclusive for XB1/360

FirewalkR

I'm much more concerned with the game being cross-gen than with having to wait for it. It may very well be constrained by the limitations of decade-old hardware.

Shinta

Banned
It's obviously at least PC/PS4. PS3 in 2016 is somewhat more questionable, but not impossible.

Spencer referenced Ryse and Dead Rising 3, so it's really not a lock for PS4 yet.

And after Ubisoft saying The Crew was easier to put on 360 than PS3, I doubt we'd see a PS3 version in 2016 even if it comes to PS4. It's certainly possible though.

ClearData

MS themselves had no problem distinguishing first on Xbox when it came to indies.

But suddenly it's different because it's Tomb Raider and TRIPLE A.

They could have, they just didn't want to.

Precisely. It shows that they still cannot get their messaging straight. Granted, they've improved since the launch debacle. But simple things like announcing a timed exclusive are bungled to the point of controversy.

For now, I still suspect some kind of non-PlayStation clause in the contract.

In recent interviews, Spencer has been pretty clear that this is the same kind of deal that for Ryse and Dead Rising 3 (meaning Microsoft is investing/publishing the game but not buying the IP). And what did we learn about those two games ? They are coming to PC, 8 months after Xbox One, but not PS4.

I think PC gamers will definitly be ok, but we still don't have a single evidence that the game will end up on PS4.

Then Spencer is lying, because Square Enix are still publishing this.

icespide

Banned
Spencer referenced Ryse and Dead Rising 3, so it's really not a lock for PS4 yet.

And after Ubisoft saying The Crew was easier to put on 360 than PS3, I doubt we'd see a PS3 version in 2016 even if it comes to PS4. It's certainly possible though.

PS4 has been basically confirmed by shinobi

The God

In recent interviews, Spencer has been pretty clear that this is the same kind of deal that for Ryse and Dead Rising 3 (meaning Microsoft is investing/publishing the game but not buying the IP). And what did we learn about those two games ? They are coming to PC, 8 months after Xbox One, but not PS4.

I think PC gamers will definitly be ok, but we still don't have a single evidence that the game will end up on PS4.

Spencer also said that Square can do whatever they want with the game after their deal is up. This includes releasing a PS version.

He probably did that to muddy the waters more.

I'm kind of on the fence about a PS3 version. On the one hand, PS3 version in 2016 is a bit unbelievable. On the other, RotTR is running off the same engine as TR 2013, so presumably most of the work to port it to PS3 has already been done.

Of course he would reference both games, he wants people to think it's exactly like those deals.

The fact that the Q in this FAQ actually includes a Playstation query that wasn't refuted by Crystal practically admits that this exclusivity deal doesn't exclude Playstation. If it were, Crystal/MS would've just said it outright by this point.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Tomb Raider isn't a killer app for me, and despite being from a fairly good franchise I doubt it's something that most people chomp at the bit to play at every new release. So it's odd that Microsoft got this game as an exclusive. I can wait for the PS4/PC version, and I have a feeling due to the delayed port, it will drop in price like a rock faster too. So it might backfire a bit for Square. I'm curious to see how it goes.

xAniki88

Banned
mm yeah, another cross gen. well done
i guess that spend money to increase his offer of first party game, is so damn hard for microsoft
i'll buy this game at launch on xbox one though, excepting it will not coming on ps4 a month later

and good luck with your anti uncharted plan, phil :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm willing to make a large sum cash bet it shows up on PS4.

Why? Because Microsoft was screaming from the heavens that Titanfall was a forever Xbox exclusive when it had a simultaneous PC release.

If it was just a PC version, I feel they would just announce it. It's way stronger to say "Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to XB1/360 in Fall 2015 and PC in 2016 and never going anywhere else." than "Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to XB1/360 in Fall 2015 and mysterious other platforms that might include our main competitor later."

viveks86

Wait what? I thought the game was releasing in 2015?

Yup. Holiday 2015. So likely Nov-Dec 2015. He is probably rounding it off to 2016. Which is when the PS4/PC would be getting it anyway

Why? Because Microsoft was screaming from the heavens that Titanfall was a forever Xbox exclusive when it had a simultaneous PC release.

If it was just a PC version, I feel they would just announce it. It's way stronger to say "Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to XB1/360 in Fall 2015 and PC in 2016 and never going anywhere else." than "Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to XB1/360 in Fall 2015 and mysterious other platforms that might include our main competitor later."

Well said

Lucreto

I have got a feeling we have not seen the ending of that deal. There could very well be PS4 versions next year after the second tier countries get to play the games. Just PR talk again after the PC announcement.

Arklite

I'm much more concerned with the game being cross-gen than with having to wait for it. It may very well be constrained by the limitations of decade-old hardware.

It should look great considering TR 2013 turned out to be one of the best looking PC games last year. Then again, there was actually a PC version in concurrent development to tweak, unlike next year.

Shinta

Banned

1333559643.jpg

Alright, alright lol. I hope you're right. That is probably the case. That would be the only way I end up playing it.

If Uncharted 4 releases next year this will actually be a good move,
if not than it was incredibly dumb.

Basically just get paid by MS to chill while Uncharted 4 hype settles which they should be doing anyway.

Yup. Holiday 2015. So likely Nov-Dec 2015. He is probably rounding it off to 2016

It will be a 2016 game for PC/Playstation. The PS4/Xbox One are massively outselling the PS3/360 versions of games, in 2015 this will be alot worse, and in 2016 the PS3/360 will pretty much be dead. They are making mistakes that most Neogaf poster can easily predict.

viveks86

It should look great considering TR 2013 turned out to be one of the best looking PC games last year. Then again, there was actually a PC version in concurrent development to tweak, unlike next year.

I'm sure they are all in concurrent development. They will all look great for sure. The point is if they would have looked better without having to consider the old gen.

Lucreto

I half expect this to happen.

Exclusive bundle and advertising with a early November release.

Get all the holiday sales and a PS4/PC announcement for the end of January and released before June 2016.

If Uncharted 4 is released that will hold me. If Skyrim is anything to go by it was announced to be released within 11 months. Fallout 4 could do the same.

SEGIII

Neo Member
It can bring additional financing for games along with development/marketting assistence. This is great on smaller games and efforts, especially if they lack a publisher or the other party is being a problem to deal with (sounds like Sony was a bit too silent with Titanfall assistance for instance) but for something like this is really just calls into question how necessary it really is. Especially given its PS history and the fact that's still leading for game sales.

Let's make a list, shall we?

Benefits to Console Manufacturer:
  • Potential increase in console sales through misinformation and/or dat 'feel' of exclusivity
  • Potential increase in revenue from royalties due to headstart in game sales compared to competing platform

Benefits to Publishers/Developers:
  • Immediate access to cash, development and marketing resources from console manufacturer

Benefits to Consumers:
  • Dat feel of exclusivity, also known as, the I-can-play-it-now-while-you-can't-ha-ha phenomenon

Ah, the concept makes more sense. It being applied to this game and a publisher developer of this caliber, not so much. Taking CD's jargon literally, couldn't they have dedicated their resources towards Microsoft's consoles and outsourced the ports to another developer if time was an issue (ie; what they've done with each of their TR entries)?

Man I bet CD/SE are LOVING all this free publicity. Before this the game barely would get a mention.

The Xbox One is a poster child for the limits of the "no such thing as bad press" argument. And the main reason this caused such a shitstorm is because of how many people were anticipating the game.

Nimby

Banned
Long history with Microsoft? BULLFUCKINGSHIT

They do have a long history with Microsoft. Ever since Legend, Guardian of Light was exclusive to 360 for a very short duration, and Underworld had exclusive story DLC only on the 360. However the fanbase on PC and PS has always been stronger because that's where the series gained its stronghold in the first place.

viveks86

If sony versions exist (which they probably will), they'll come out in 2016. The xbox versions were cross-gen, so it seems like the playstation versions may be too.

Yeah I had modified my post to reflect that as well. I doubt there would be a PS3 version though, since the PS4 install base would be big enough for Square Enix to not consider the PS3 in 2016. Just a hunch and I'm probably wrong, since SE is capable of the surprising me time and time again

It will be a 2016 game for PC/Playstation. The PS4/Xbox One are massively outselling the PS3/360 versions of games, in 2015 this will be alot worse, and in 2016 the PS3/360 will pretty much be dead. They are making mistakes that most Neogaf poster can easily predict.

Agreed

So the company that had gone to great lengths to obfuscate the nature of this exclusivity is implicitly suggesting - but not stating - that the game might not come to PS4 by drawing comparisons. Surely this suggestion is entirely well-meaning and accurate and not another attempt to mislead people after the impact of the exclusive was neutered (once they admitted it was timed).

ya, we didn't get a "life of the title" statement this time.

br3wnor

I just get the gut feeling that they paid pretty close to what they pay Activision for timed exclusive DLC. I just don't feel that Microsoft went extra bonkers with the money for this one.

I dunno. Square knows the market share differences between Xbone and ps4, I can't imagine them sacrificing millions of potential sales unless the check Microsoft wrote made up for that difference.

Eusis

But... But... Didn't Phil Spencer already said it had a duration? We already knew it was a timed exclusive. This didn't say anything new at all. What are the future platforms? PC? PS4? Both? PS3?
I'll be surprised if it turns full exclusive. Granted this happened with Titanfall, but that was seen as a potentially significant strategic move whereas I doubt this will have the same impact (and may just make them look worse as it's way easier to go "yeah well I have Uncharted anyway!" on PS4.)

Cross gen game at the end of 2015 and treating gamers/fans like idiots. CD and SE can go fly a kite. Buying this game used no matter what platform.

What does this "Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game." even mean?!

br3wnor

Tomb Raider isn't a killer app for me, and despite being from a fairly good franchise I doubt it's something that most people chomp at the bit to play at every new release. So it's odd that Microsoft got this game as an exclusive. I can wait for the PS4/PC version, and I have a feeling due to the delayed port, it will drop in price like a rock faster too. So it might backfire a bit for Square. I'm curious to see how it goes.

This was likely the biggest 3rd party release they could get timed exclusivity for. Imagine them trying to sell Activision (COD) EA (Madden) take two (gta) or Konimi (MGS) on an Xbone exclusive deal? Would have got laughed out of the room.

I have got a feeling we have not seen the ending of that deal. There could very well be PS4 versions next year after the second tier countries get to play the games. Just PR talk again after the PC announcement.

True, there is of course still time for a Dead Rising 3 Ultimate Edition PS4 announcement.

As for the cross-gen thing, guess we will need more informations. If the Xbox 360 edition is developped on another engine from another studio (like Forza Horizon 2) there will be no problem. However if Crystal Dynamics have to balance the game to run on both gen... yeah, the comparison with Uncharted 4 could be funny when you know the kind of height that Naughty Dog is aiming with this game.

If Uncharted 4 releases next year this will actually be a good move,
if not than it was incredibly dumb.

If one of those games miss the november 2015 target, it will be quite funny, but I don't think Microsoft will regret anything. I mean, don't you all think that having Halo + Tomb Raider pretty much guarantee the #1 holidays 2015 spot for Xbox One, at least in the US ? Even if of course we don't have all the informations about both line-up.'

Death2494

Long history with Microsoft? BULLFUCKINGSHIT

LMAO yea, I could have sworn they had a longer history on Playstation than Xbox. People are looking at this the wrong way. If you were a developer, and a publisher came to you saying they would foot halve of the development costs and marketing for your next game, you'd almost definitely take. You're still retaining the right to the IP and there is an expiration point. If you look at it from this point of view, Crystal Dynamics would be insane to turn down that offer. Now the question is how are they going to compensate the PS4/PC fan base? I say it's a damn good deal for Crystal Dynamics.

dreamfall

I hope they do a bundle with the game. I want a Lara Croft stencil embossed special edition console. I'll probably wait until 2015 to pick this up with Quantum Break.

Crystal Dynamics/Microsoft make this happen!

pixlexic

Banned
This was likely the biggest 3rd party release they could get timed exclusivity for. Imagine them trying to sell Activision (COD) EA (Madden) take two (gta) or Konimi (MGS) on an Xbone exclusive deal? Would have got laughed out of the room.

Here we go with the made up sinarios again.

Top Bottom