• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics FAQ - Confirms timed exclusive for XB1/360

I'll be surprised if it turns full exclusive. Granted this happened with Titanfall, but that was seen as a potentially significant strategic move whereas I doubt this will have the same impact (and may just make them look worse as it's way easier to go "yeah well I have Uncharted anyway!" on PS4.)

Well, the difference with Titanfall was that back when MS 'rescued' the game from being cancelled, they penned a 13-months locked deal before either console were even announced. And before anyone knew that last-gen sales would plummet like a rock. (360 version of Titanfall ended up being just a blip despite the 80 million install base )

Whereas this deal was clearly penned in the weeks leading up to Gamescom, where it's clear to all parties that MS was behind. If SE gave away 12 months exclusivity away, then Square Enix is literally dumbness personified because that far away, they're practically killing the sales of other platforms.

RPGam3r

As with everyone else that says this, please do give me an example of Sony or Nintendo moneyhatting a timed exclusive like this? And something recent too, if you have to go back 5 years or more, don't.

I don't care why it's exclusive that is up to the companies making the deal. With that said there are too many exclusives to count, timed or not over every generation in gaimg.

It shouldn't matter that this was moneyhatting, it was a deal that was agreed upon for what numbers worked for both companies. Exclusives are common place in gaming and have been, again still hoping gamers will get used to it.

Replicant

LOL @ "Long history with MS". Moar like large moneyhat from MS, amirite?

But if they're that greedy to the point of making the game cross-gen, there's no way they'd want to miss out on other platforms. This is just a way so they'll get even more money.

viveks86

Ah, the concept makes more sense. It being applied to this game and a publisher developer of this caliber, not so much. Taking CD's jargon literally, couldn't they have dedicated their resources towards Microsoft's consoles and outsourced the ports to another developer if time was an issue (ie; what they've done with each of their TR entries)?

Yeah their FAQ is a bunch of hokum. It contradicts itself.

However, I'm not entirely certain that the deal has no benefit for CD and Microsoft. I personally am not too invested in the franchise but I'm sure some people are. So some of the points I had stated may apply, if not all.

May be SE was unwilling to continue the series after the "disappointing" sales unless a console manufacturer was willing to put some cash in and show faith. Knowing SE, they would still want to eventually go multi platform so that they have a plan B in case it "disappoints" again. Lowers their risk. Who knows!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can understand the desire to make it cross gen, but I'm a little disappointed. Was hoping for a "from the ground up" new gen title.

Salex_

Have to wait until around E3 2015 to see the purpose of this deal.

It's either they already had a solid holiday 2015 lineup planned and decided to get this deal to push people over the edge or if they needed something to fill the lineup. It's the former, I can see how this deal helps MS especially when the value of this timed exclusive will go up during the holidays. If it's the latter*, why would they pick this game (Or better yet, why not use the money if it cost millions to hire studios to make new IPs for them? More Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound deals or Rime, WiLD and The Tomorrow Children kind of deals).

*Assuming the current Tomb Raider fan base overlaps with Uncharted by a good amount, what's the chances of someone buying a Xbox One primary for a timed exclusive Tomb Raider over Uncharted 4?

statham

I imagine alot of the holdouts from the PS4/PC camp that refuse to get a XB1 will grab a 360 version and double dip when available. And I can't imagine them losing many sales as the rest of the PS4 fanbase will grab when available. I think it was a smart move by Square. And Microsoft will also have a stronger fall 2015 lineup to go against UC4. Its a win-win by both companies. IMO.

edit: of course like Ryse and DR, maybe they are only talking about PC, I know 'Insiders' say otherwise, but they also been wrong alot. I mean Shu doesn't even know.

dose

Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details
Lol, yeh right. Even offstage MS were using 'indirect language'.

dreamfall

LOL @ "Long history with MS". Moar like large moneyhat from MS, amirite?

But if they're that greedy to the point of making the game cross-gen, there's no way they'd want to miss out on other platforms. This is just a way so they'll get even more money.

Well looking at last gen, it seems like they do have a pretty exclusive (timed) relationship with the 360. Tomb Raider Legend launched there (didn't come to the PS3 until the Trilogy for PS3), the Anniversary episodes launching there first and then later on disc years before it came to PS3, Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow DLC for Underworld (never came to any other platform) and then Guardian of Light (1month and some on XBL first).

Moneyhatted or not, they did have an exclusive relationship for awhile...

Chobel

I imagine alot of the holdouts from the PS4/PC camp that refuse to get a XB1 will grab a 360 version and double dip when available. And I can't imagine them losing many sales as the rest of the PS4 fanbase will grab when available. I think it was a smart move by Square. And Microsoft will also have a stronger fall 2015 lineup to go against UC4. Its a win-win by both companies. IMO.

edit: of course like Ryse and DR, maybe they are only talking about PC, I know 'Insiders' say otherwise, but they also been wrong alot.

You would be surprised, delayed ports usually have bad sales.

Mikey Jr.

I made my stance before. I will not be purchasing this game on ps4.

If se and cd don't want my money, they won't get it.

I understand it's business, and I am voting with my wallet.

They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.

Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

How?? Seriously, HOW? Explain it to me plainly.

How is getting MS money different than getting normal money? Does it smell better? Does it get you high, thus allowing those creative juices to flow? All parties involved seem completely incapable of not bullshitting us, even when they're trying to cut the crap.

RPGam3r

This makes me think of the classic line "It's not personal, it's business". It being business doesn't mean people don't have the right to be upset about it. People don't have to just forget about it and be cool with it just because "it's business". It is a bad deal for a lot of people and they absolutely have the right to be upset with the companies involved with the deal. I am a gamer, not a business man. I don't give a shit how much money SE, who spends countless millions developing FF sequels that nobody wants, gets for this deal. Next year I won't be able to play one of my most anticipated games of the entire year and that pisses me off.

You're a gamer who was never garunteed this product to be on your platform of choice at any moment. If you want it in a timely fashion get an X1. This topic is making me kinda glad that it wasn't this easy to discuss gaming back in the day when 3rd party exclusives were even more common.

Handy Fake

You're a gamer who was never garunteed this product to be on your platform of choice at any moment. If you want it in a timely fashion get an X1. This topic is making me kinda glad that it wasn't this easy to discuss gaming back in the day when 3rd party exclusives were even more common.

Step back from the Console V Console perception and tell us how, in any way, shape or form, this is good for gamers on any platform.

SolidJum5

Neo Member
Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details

Sure... ¬_¬

Bikola

They're still rolling with "exclusive holiday 2014". Sounds like it will come out on playstation and PC January 1 2016

StuBurns

Banned
I'm really surprised at how much post-announcement talk there's been about the nature of the deal. The PR repercussions must be venomous to warrant this.

Man, all in all, I just feel bad for fans of TR. That sure must've been some lucrative deal...
This is how I picture Square and CD in my head:
giphy.gif

Good news is though, everyone will get a chance to pla-
window-wiiu.jpg

Oh, you poor thing.. :(

The business side of the deal ( for this game, at least ) is most likely not problematic at all. MS definitely ponied up a lot of cash, and both sides crunched numbers to achieve what they think will allow them to come out of it richer than before.

Now, whether or not that is true, remains to be seen, because we've seen major fuck-ups when it comes to business decisions before (uDraw,lol), but at least at the offset, it doesn't seem to be that risky unless TR continues to maintain the negative backlash it's getting even till launch.

The bigger, longer term question is whether or not it'll have an impact on the franchise itself. Story-driven, single player game sequels missing out on platforms, even for a limited amount of time, imo, does damage the franchise's sales potential somewhat because the audience that has skipped the game over in due of the timing probably exist.

Granted, it's always been murky waters because numbers available to us most conveniently, the US figures, have always had Xbox at the dominant spot, so even for games that have a very high skew to Xbox vs Playstation ( Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, etc ) it's hard to tell if there was actual damage to the franchise potential.

It'll be interesting to take note of sales of games like say PvZ : GW on PS4 in NPD threads, because that will be a reflection of whether or not timed exclusivity has prevented the PS4 SKU from selling as well.

Hellshy.

That last answer is funny.

"Timed" is hardly such a complex detail, hm?

How they live their lives if they think "timed" is complex, fuck me lol :p

This. Guess it's to complex to just say we didn't say timed at gamescom bc it doesn't carry the same weight on stage

DOWN

Banned
Who the heck is going to be buying 360 games at the end of 2015? Don't they know Black Friday for 2 year old current gen systems will be pretty sweet?

RPGam3r

Step back from the Console V Console perception and tell us how, in any way, shape or form, this is good for gamers on any platform.

Why does this have to be good for all gamers? It's at least good for the X1 gamers as they still get the title in a timely fashion, or potential X1 gamers who now may have one additional reason to look at making the plunge.

I'm not going to buy this on any platform because of this asshattery.

I believe it sets a dangerous precedent that give the green light for companies to money hat AAA games and lock them away from competitors.

Last gen it was a few indies who benefitted from the cash injection but if this trend continues it will be nothing but bad news for gamers.

jayu26

Making an Xbox 360 version for the very end of 2015 is absolutely ridiculous. Making one while also signing a "wont appear on market leading platform until is old news" deal makes it even insaner.

You know what is even more insane...if this timed exclusivity lasts a year then this game could appear on PS3 at the end of 2016.

El_Chino

Honestly surprised at this whole cross gen thing. By 2015 the 360 will be 10 years and most of 360 owners would probably have moved on to the PS4/X1.

such bollocks. everything else was "first on xbox" then suddenly it is "coming exclusively to xbox on holiday 2015".

They took all that negative publicity for a cross-gen timed exclusive? lmao

The whole deal dosn't look being an smart one.

They probably did more damage to the IP that the money they are getting can compensate. Is very telling that the only one who accepted this deal was SE.

Why does this have to be good for all gamers? It's at least good for the X1 gamers as they still get the title in a timely fashion, or potential X1 gamers who now may have one additional reason to look at making the plunge.

Was there a rumor that the game was behind schedule?

DOWN

Banned
Honestly surprised at this whole cross gen thing. By 2015 the 360 will be 10 years and most of 360 owners would probably have moved on to the PS4/X1.

Even now, most last gen gamers aren't buying much anymore. Everything current gen sells much higher when it comes out cross gen. Presumably, consumers don't see much attention being given to last gen and are just getting ready for an eventual current gen system to get everything on.

Mikey Jr.

I was wondering, does anyone have an idea when the contact was signed?

Was it recent?

Just wondering if se knew about sales of ps4 v xbox, or did they do this long ago thinking Xbone would kick ps4s ass?

DOWN

Banned
I was wondering, does anyone have an idea when the contact was signed?

Was it recent?

Just wondering if se knew about sales of ps4 v xbox, or did they do this long ago thinking Xbone would kick ps4s ass?

Guessing after E3 since they didn't say it there, but good chance they knew they were working on the deal because they strategically did not say what platforms it would be on during E3 and they showed it on stage at the Microsoft show.

Why does this have to be good for all gamers? It's at least good for the X1 gamers as they still get the title in a timely fashion

How many X1 gamers out there think it's a good thing that Xbox is spending money on delaying games for other platforms rather than using that money to create actual content they could enjoy?

k3rn3ll

Neo Member
Can we stopped pretending that the wording was a lie? When have companies ever explained exclusivity on stage during announcement? I mean yea Sony did at gamescom, but most likely that's only because of the immediate backlash they had heard about this alreadu. Not saying that's bad of them, it's good business. But before then they always announced the same way. That's how it's been in every conference I can remember over the last 15 years.

LLikewise no company ever openly discloses the terms of their third and second party exclusives. No one has ever said "yea it's on our platform, but feel f re we to wait a year and get it elsewhere. That's business suicide for exclusives. Always been that way.

Back on topic, it's good of CD to be this open. Because they don't have to.both CD and MS have been more than open as far third party exclusives go. Now I just need to decide wether to get on Xone or wait for PC release. That I'm still up in the air on

Cool, give me some time to play and beat Uncharted 4. Then I can play TR.

Can we stopped pretending that the wording was a lie? When have companies ever explained exclusivity on stage during announcement? I mean yea Sony did at gamescom, but most likely that's only because of the immediate backlash they had heard about this alreadu. Not saying that's bad of them, it's good business. But before then they always announced the same way. That's how it's been in every conference I can remember over the last 15 years.

LLikewise no company ever openly discloses the terms of their third and second party exclusives. No one has ever said "yea it's on our platform, but feel f re we to wait a year and get it elsewhere. That's business suicide for exclusives. Always been that way.

Back on topic, it's good of CD to be this open. Because they don't have to.both CD and MS have been more than open as far third party exclusives go. Now I just need to decide wether to get on Xone or wait for PC release. That I'm still up in the air on

I don't even know where to start with this.

Discusguy

I'm not going to buy this on any platform because of this asshattery.

I believe it sets a dangerous precedent that give the green light for companies to money hat AAA games and lock them away from competitors.

Last gen it was a few indies who benefitted from the cash injection but if this trend continues it will be nothing but bad news for gamers.

I've been gaming sinse the 8bit days. Money hatting isn't new and it won't stop. You'll quit gaming before it ever stops.

Handy Fake

No I mean that they will get it sooner than other gamers on other platforms. Playing first is a big thing in the industry, look how much people clamor for alphas and betas.

I'm out.

Top Bottom