• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC System Requirements (Official)

rauelius

While I'm excited to play this on my Main, I look forward to seeing if one of my lower-end machines can run it at XBOne levels (900p/30fps/noice graphics settings).

I'm assuming these two wouldn't have an issue:

- FX-6300 + R9-270x
- i3 4170 + R9-270x

I'm curious if my "bottom feeder" Pentium G3420 + GTX660 would be able to run it at XBOne levels...the system cost me $130 to build.

Kezen

Banned
While I'm excited to play this on my Main, I look forward to seeing if one of my lower-end machines can run it at XBOne levels (900p/30fps/noice graphics settings).

I'm assuming these two wouldn't have an issue:

- FX-6300 + R9-270x
- i3 4170 + R9-270x

I'm curious if my "bottom feeder" Pentium G3420 + GTX660 would be able to run it at XBOne levels...the system cost me $130 to build.

The Xbone version runs at 1080p; and all of the GPU listed are faster so Xbone settings should be achievable fairly easily assuming you have enough VRAM.
The Xbone GPU is a downclocked 260. A 270x eats it for breakfast.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r7-260-review,3736.html

viveks86

Do I need to buy another Titan X to make this vxao thingamajig work at 4k60?

After Arkham Knight and the Witcher 3, all nvidia exclusive features make me nervous

diamount

Banned

After Arkham Knight and the Witcher 3, all nvidia exclusive features make me nervous

I don't think it's fair to compare Iron Galaxy to the hardware magicians over at Nixxes. But paying a grand for another Titan X is not wise man, wait for performance tweaks.

Kezen

Banned

They make you nervous because they are demanding ?
Honestly I was not shocked at all when I saw the cost of the smoke in AK, that thing is just so beautiful.

I wish I could play with it and maintain my 50-60fps.

viveks86

They make you nervous because they are demanding ?

Yes! And it drives me crazy. Lol

I don't think it's fair to compare Iron Galaxy to the hardware magicians over at Nixxes. But paying a grand for another Titan X is not wise man, wait for performance tweaks.

Was being facetious. There's no way I'm spending more on my rig till big pascal is out :D

I just get too excited seeing cutting edge features, only to discover that there is always a catch

jwk94

So would my laptop with an NVIDIA 660M graphics card be able to run this at 60 fps? Or would I have to settle for 30 fps?

Momentary

Banned
I was going to post how outrageous that the minimum is a 650.... but I'd just be trolling. Seeing how well the last game ran, I'm pretty sure my set up 1080posted is going to go smoothly... with some bells and whistles added too.

Kezen

Banned
This is still a Gaming Evolved title and will use TressFX. AMD users need not despair.
It's not AMD branded no, in spite of Tressfx. It's Nvidia branded.
Bundled with Nvidia cards.

Does not mean it won't run well on AMD hardware, but technically it is not an AMD "Gaming Evolved" game like TR2013, Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dirt Showdown to name a few.
Like Crysis 3 featuring Nvidia's TXAA does not make it a Nvidia branded game.

Yes! And it drives me crazy. Lol
You can already start saving up for Nvidia's next flagship because max settings won't stop being increasingly taxing.

Spinifex

It's not AMD branded no, in spite of Tressfx. It's Nvidia branded.
Bundled with Nvidia cards.

Does not mean it won't run well on AMD hardware, but technically it is not an AMD "Gaming Evolved" game like TR2013, Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dirt Showdown to name a few.
Like Crysis 3 featuring Nvidia's TXAA does not make it a Nvidia branded game.

You can already start saving up for Nvidia's next flagship because max settings won't stop being increasingly taxing.

Huh. SE is a Gaming Evolved partner. Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex etc have all been Gaming Evolved titles. I wonder why the exception in this case.

Kezen

Banned
Huh. SE is a Gaming Evolved partner. Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex etc have all been Gaming Evolved titles. I wonder why the exception in this case.

6azwpr7.jpg

Forward your question to Square Enix.

Rise of the Tomb Raider does include AMD technologies like Tressfx (or perhaps an heavily tweaked variant) and will in all likelyhood perform well on GCN but technically speaking this is a Geforce branded game.
It also had Nvidia's VXAO.

I'm sure dx12 would never hit the market, if it was up to Nvidia. Damn them for making good gpu's as I would otherwise not support their shady ass.

Because that check was cashed. Ngreedia will do anything to prevent AMD from looking good for once, because when they do not only does AMD look good, but Nvidia looks bad because their shitty practices practically shine so blatantly when do so. They are a company that prides on throwing major marketing money and so many people take the kool aid so easily.

Mifec

Because that check was cashed. Ngreedia will do anything to prevent AMD from looking good for once, because when they do not only does AMD look good, but Nvidia looks bad because their shitty practices practically shine so blatantly when do so. They are a company that prides on throwing major marketing money and so many people take the kool aid so easily.

and AMD would do the same if they could afford it.

No company is your friend.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Pumped to play this on PC. Loved the first on my PS4, but couldn't bring myself to buy it for my Xbox One.

Gotta power through a few other games first though.

and AMD would do the same if they could afford it.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that consumers shouldn't applaud and reward consumer friendly practices.

It's just a shame that nVidia's offerings are so much better right now, at least for DX11.

Arklite

Very eager to see how well optimised the latest version of TressFX is compared to before. Hopefully it won't completely tank frames on my 770.

Mike Golf

Cool down, guys, will still have "cutting-edge VXAO technology" whatever it means.

PS - also someone forget how nixxes fuck up initial ports of Tomb Raider (some missing effects) or Deus Ex:HR (heavy stuttering). Yeah, they fix it eventually (but much later)

Do you have a source for left out features on PC TR 2013? I bought it at launch, played it extensively at the time and later, read DF's coverage of it and analysis and do not remember this being the case.

Probably not ultra quality given the Super Duper Hair effects even on the first game are very demanding on a similar rig to this day. Probably pretty close otherwise.

Are you talking about TressFX or something like that? I can't remember the name but I forgot I was trying to say everything on ultra but with that option off

Spinifex

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that consumers shouldn't applaud and reward consumer friendly practices.

It's just a shame that nVidia's offerings are so much better right now, at least for DX11.

I disagree with this assesment. AMD GPUs are competitive with nVidia in nearly all respects. AMD CPUs do not compete on any level with Intel, however.

Hopefully Zen changes that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This game did run at full 1080p on XB1 right..? That usually only happens with remasters or other non GPU stressing games this gen.

The GPU requirements for PC were not going to be high to begin with, i'd think, even if there were some performance issues.

This game did run at full 1080p on XB1 right..? That usually only happens with remasters or other non GPU stressing games this gen.

The GPU requirements for PC were not going to be high to begin with, i'd think, even if there were some performance issues.

it did actually

Carlius

Banned
this is still a game limited by last gen, so if you were able to run last tomb raiders i dont see why you cant run this.

TheYanger

Well yeah, i was seeking confirmation, but it makes sense. That just proves the PC port will not be so taxing GPU wise

That...doesn't really mean anything. If the resolution was lower it would just be more taxing somewhere else. The game pushes the Xbone hard as it is (an d it has minor slowdown in intense moments near the end because of it), I mean, a good PC should run the game fine, but that's true of every current gen game, you could make a taxing game that ran at sub-HD resolutions if you wanted to, it's all just tradeoffs.

People forget it was on 360
People forget that this isn't a 'crossgen' game in any standard sense of the word, the 360 version is markedly different visually. It's good, but it's not the same at all.

this is still a game limited by last gen, so if you were able to run last tomb raiders i dont see why you cant run this.
Literal nonsense, the 360 game is a good looking 360 game, but the Xbone version is not sharing assets or anything else. They would basically have to package two versions of the game for download to have the 360 version available on steam.

DOWN

Banned
It's a cross gen game and its focus was Xbox One. The "surprisingly low" comments are surprising me.

Kezen

Banned
Probably not ultra quality given the Super Duper Hair effects even on the first game are very demanding on a similar rig to this day. Probably pretty close otherwise.

Tressfx is not the most demanding setting in the reboot, SSAA is.
With FXAA I was able to sustain 60fps with all the other settings engaged on my previous 970 (including TressFX).

Benched the game using by far the most taxing area : the hunting lodge.

Another set of Minimum Specs exceeded. My 670's coming up on four years old now, but the old girl hasn't let me down yet. I'm basically only lacking the power to brute force my way through shitty ports like Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3; it still handles every competently optimised game like a champ.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you have a source for left out features on PC TR 2013? I bought it at launch, played it extensively at the time and later, read DF's coverage of it and analysis and do not remember this being the case.

There was a small bug with the launch build that resulted in the various camera effects not being present if the game was running in fullscreen mode.

Edit: Here's one thread about it.

Kezen

Banned
Cool down, guys, will still have "cutting-edge VXAO technology" whatever it means.

PS - also someone forget how nixxes fuck up initial ports of Tomb Raider (some missing effects) or Deus Ex:HR (heavy stuttering). Yeah, they fix it eventually (but much later)

There was no missing advertised effects in TR2013. Every features showcased made it.

The "heavy" stuttering in HR could be partially remedied right at launch (I know that for a fact) by setting pre-rendered frame to 1 in the driver, and it was fixed quickly in my case.

So yeah from where I'm standing Nixxes have always delivered.

Top Bottom